A Spirited Perfect Ten

Frankie The Beer

To be clear: "opening night" would be Thur night's + Friday's receipts together? I could easily see $100M with Thur/Fri combined given the pre-sales and hype.

HP & Deathly Hallows pt 2 did $91M on "opening day'
Age of Ultron did $84M

Now, if we are talking about Friday alone, that seems a bit more of a stretch, but conceivable.

Thursday/Friday cume would be the midnight start eastern standard time, with the west coast starting showings at 9 PM Thursday I believe but don't quote me. And yes, it will break 100 million easy, maybe over 120 million. If SW has a 500 million worldwide opening weekend, it will beat Avatar.

BlueSkyDriveBy

In the interest of full disclosure I suggest that Lee reveal the name of his source. Maybe we can see if that person has a criminal record. Maybe we could have them disclose their Disney employee evals to see if he/she is the type of person the collected forum members would approve of Disney hiring? Some here have asked all sorts of personal questions of Jim so why not have the anonymous CM face the same kind of scrutiny? I mean, you do have the right to face your accuser in this country.
Uh, these are not "accusations" being made without proof. These were actual events that are now part of official county records. Anyone can have access to these records per a FOIA request. Even you.

And what difference does it make whether or not the person who obtained the records has a criminal record themselves? That individual obviously has a beef with Disney social media dealings, so it's highly unlikely that they are also dining at Disney's trough to the same extent as Hill. And that's what is being called into question here, how Disney can justify their professional relationship with Hill, given his prior history with WDW, when former employees who weren't arrested for their minor transgressions receive permanent lifetime rehire bans.

Why should Hill's past be completely ignored when others' past behaviors are not? That's a totally fair question for anyone who deliberately, proactively places themselves in the public eye.

PhotoDave219

Remember that guy that was apologetic and humble when he first replied to this topic? Clearly he's gone... your new tact of "you can't hurt me..." boasting is really bad taste. So maybe there is nothing such as 'bad publicity' -- but that doesn't mean you come out looking GOOD... just more well known. Aka TRUMP

Again, you sum things up much more eloquently than me....

PhotoDave219

Uh, these are not "accusations" being made without proof. These were actual events that are now part of official county records. Anyone can have access to these records per a FOIA request. Even you.

And what difference does it make whether or not the person who obtained the records has a criminal record themselves? That individual obviously has a beef with Disney social media dealings, so it's highly unlikely that they are also dining at Disney's trough to the same extent as Hill. And that's what is being called into question here, how Disney can justify their professional relationship with Hill, given his prior history with WDW, when former employees who weren't arrested for their minor transgressions receive permanent lifetime rehire bans.

Why should Hill's past be completely ignored when others' past behaviors are not? That's a totally fair question for anyone who deliberately, proactively places themselves in the public eye.

Interesting and valid point.

But seeing as I suggested to Mr. hill that the debate be taken to a Private setting, I'm going to rather politely ask you to do the same.

flynnibus

Premium Member
As i've repeated, It's simply a matter of being irreplaceable in what you do.

You pretty much laid out the case for having zero ethics at all. Don't be consistent, don't be compassionate, just do what you need to do to get by. You've justified being two-faced and selfish. Pretty much the worst kind of management possible.

The people with morals and ethics accept the painful choices along with the easy ones.. because its the RIGHT THING TO DO.

Next Big Thing

Well I see it more as putting something irrefutable up as proof... for a topic that has been long discussed here.. but hinted at, danced around, and inferred, but without hard examples to support the assertions being made. Jim, you were just the example, of a a behavior and trend that @WDW1974 has been talking about for a long time but had not outted individuals directly.

I was sympathetic... until you seem to take glee in standing on the shoulders of a kardashian..
It was a bad example if that's what Lee was really going for though. As I said, Jim Hill is a polarizing figure within this community - meaning the majority have an opinion on the guy. To think that you are just going to drop a bomb like that about Jim Hill and then this not turn into a giant Jim Hill convo/debate is posting without thinking.

Next Big Thing

You pretty much laid out the case for having zero ethics at all. Don't be consistent, don't be compassionate, just do what you need to do to get by. You've justified being two-faced and selfish. Pretty much the worst kind of management possible.

The people with morals and ethics accept the painful choices along with the easy ones.. because its the RIGHT THING TO DO.
Tough . I've been around the block working for theme parks and everyone is replaceable below management (and even lower level management is easily that). If you can prove to the company you're irreplaceable, then they may overlook a few transgressions. If you're just a lowly custodian on Main Street or attractions at Epcot... well, good luck keeping that job if you screw up.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It was a bad example if that's what Lee was really going for though. As I said, Jim Hill is a polarizing figure within this community - meaning the majority have an opinion on the guy. To think that you are just going to drop a bomb like that about Jim Hill and then this not turn into a giant Jim Hill convo/debate is posting without thinking.

I think just the opposite actually. If you pointed out some random mommy blogger got through the filter... some would just say it was an oversight. If you pointed out some C-Tier klling-on... you might think it was just unknown. But when you demonstrate the behavior with the top tier, with incidents that are directly intermixed with the parties involved, and the guy isn't just getting stroked to have a positive blog, but actually put up in formal, vetted, circumstances... you pretty much nail without dispute that the issue had to be known, and accepted.

By using Jim Hill as the evidence... it pretty much makes the evidence indisputable. If he made up some pseudonym like it was suggested, then people would question, doubt, etc and just cause all kinds of noise that would need to be addressed just to make it credible. Here, we get right to the point... Disney's behaviors and choices.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Tough ****. I've been around the block working for theme parks and everyone is replaceable below management (and even lower level management is easily that). If you can prove to the company you're irreplaceable, then they may overlook a few transgressions. If you're just a lowly custodian on Main Street or attractions at Epcot... well, good luck keeping that job if you screw up.

And maybe you should step back.. and realize... this is why in part people say Disney is a miserable employer?

Just because you've experienced it... doesn't make it the RIGHT thing or the desirable thing. It means you've worked for ty people... and why people with higher standards and expectations won't work for said people.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But we didn't get right to the point - We've been talking about Jim Hill for 15 pages.

Had Lee used a pseudonym, it would have highlighted his supposed actual point rather than putting the spotlight on Jim Hill's 20 year old misdemeanors.

You know the saying... some people can't see the forrest for the trees? I can't help it if some people aren't intelligent enough to keep up.

Next Big Thing

And maybe you should step back.. and realize... this is why in part people say Disney is a miserable employer?

Just because you've experienced it... doesn't make it the RIGHT thing or the desirable thing. It means you've worked for ****ty people... and why people with higher standards and expectations won't work for said people.
I fully realize it isn't right. If they treated their employees better, maybe i'd still be working there. Universal puts up a facade of treating their employees so much better (and they are better than Disney), but down the line, you begin to realize that most of it is just smoke and mirrors.

Both company's are pretty ty when it comes to treating their employees well. It shouldn't be that way, but it's just how it is. Seniority and superiority rule. The more clout and power you how, the more leverage you have.

BlueSkyDriveBy

First of all, Jim Hill is not paid by the mouse. Yes he is media and given gifts, but no money is exchanged.
Try telling this to the IRS. I doubt they would agree with your definition of "not paid."

Even if the payment isn't in the form of a paycheck, it's still COMPENSATION for services rendered. He's not doing these activities out of the goodness of his heart for free. The quid pro quo relationship between consultant and company is just as significant as the employer-employee arrangement in the workplace. Trying to downplay Hill's role in Disney's social media by implying that only positions receiving pay checks are valid is quite ignorant, especially regarding the entertainment industry.

Hill is just as much in the employ of TWDC as a spec screenwriter whose script is optioned by Burbank. And as such, is also subject to the same level of scrutiny.

Section106

There are unsubstantiated accusations being made about him. The characterizations of him by the CM as someone who over the last year has grown insufferable is the original accusation. The accusations made by you that Jim directly called you on that you haven't addressed are another.

The reason the CM's record is relevant is because that person works or has worked for Disney. Lee, you and the dreamfinder are saying that Disney needs to vet their social media messengers and dissolve all relationships with those that are not up to some mythical standard. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If you get to judge Jim's record then why not the record of the person making the accusations?

This is about Jim. This is personal. Lee made it that way. And maybe Disney values what Jim does? Maybe Jim brings something to the table that those former CM's can't, don't or won't. And since Jim didn't work for Disney at the time of his arrest and since he doesn't work for them now I doubt Disney's conduct policies for CM's have any bearing on delineating their relationship going forward.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom