A Spirited Perfect Ten

tokengator

Are you asking purely in reference to Celebration or Celebration Place, the office park where Disney still maintains offices?

The community itself is not a Disney community. Disney left their role in the management several years ago, something that was always planned but did happen sinner than planned. It is a development that was conceived to avoid threats of increased property taxes imposed by Osceola County. The design is mostly based in New Urbanism (which does coincidentally share a lineage with EPCOT) and allowed Michael Eisner to play architectural patron by hiring some big names to be to be involved.

Celebration Place is an office park. It gets referenced a lot because of the publicity/marketing offices that are still there.

the community and you pretty much cleaned up my curiosity and questions about it. Thank you.

The Empress Lilly

something incredibly stupid and self-destructive that I did
Well it was all mostly destructive to the Disney employee you battered...

You know, I think you lost some of your sympathy of your audience here after your first post. Me, I am unsympathetic to digging up twenty year old dirt. Not because of any sympathy for the perpetrator, but because with my head - not my heart - I understand that people make mistakes and that in civilised countries we don't chop off hands or give life sentences for misdemeanors. Which means at some point people can move on. But the moral high ground forever belongs not to the perpetrator, but his victim.

@Lee - should @ him when talking about him - probably had a myriad of motives, but more likely mere careless (or carefree, should one wish to be more positive) lack of them, when posting his stuff.

There really has been a long-running discussion here about comping lifestylers. Even if that discussion often feels like one set of lifestylers (who mostly deny they are such) bitchfighting other sets. That, and a certain glee here in trying to find fault in others, combined with an irresponsible tradition to try to damage lives and careers of people simply for harbouring positive attitudes to TWDC. Although on the upside this time no letters have been written to current and even former employers. No smear campaigns aimed at anybody's professional environment. No pitchforked mob of sycophants being assembled to throw rocks at the current witch being dragged into the village square. Pretty tame by the standards of these parts. I guess we miss somebody to convince the mob that they are presented something really important, that will soon make the national press, and blahblah.

The Empress Lilly

I was arguing? Giving my opinion that I would like to see a new show every 5 year is arguing? Lmao. Sure thing buddy.

SInce you obviously haven't yet please go ahead put me on ignore because...well I don't even know what say other than wow.
It's a running gag around here. Everybody is on the ignore list of the resident village idiot.
It seems it went over his head that you actually agreed with him it was time for a new show. A never ending source of amusement.

tokengator

It's a running gag around here. Everybody is on the ignore list of the resident village idiot.
It seems it went over his head that you actually agreed with him it was time for a new show. A never ending source of amusement.

Appreciate the explanation -- as fresh meat I don't know the histories, nuances and dynamics of the board. Something that really had me scratching my head makes a little bit more sense now. Thanks.

AEfx

Just imagine that logic extended to WDW.

That's not what I said and those are terribly stupid examples.

There is nothing to "extend" the logic on. The premise of the film clearly did not resonate with audience, I'm simply giving a few reasoned, logical thoughts as to why it may be. You may think it did poorly for other reasons, but that doesn't change the fact that it did poorly.

AEfx

Based on this logic of cinema confusing reality for kids, there's going to be a lot of messed-up kids next week when Star Wars opens.

I love when people latch on to one word and miss the entire point. Because, Internet.

It is simply one aspect of this film and this particularly divisive (in some communities) theme in particular that it's baffling that Disney did it to begin with. When presenting the topic of evolution, where one group believes what is actually in the film is real (dinosaurs and humans living together) and one that is considered a scientific impossibility by others - with this topic in particular - yes, I do think the "yeah, let's just avoid that altogether" was a good part of it.

It in no way was some new filmic rule I was trying to invent. About a half dozen people seem to have not understood that and made little jokes about it as folks are wont to do when they don't fully grasp something - yet I didn't see a single one of them actually come up with anything unique themselves. :)

Cesar R M

I've had enough "token" gator friends. Don't need any more, especially those that want to argue.
..token gator friends..
iMNbv2g.gif

you seem to have had a bad relationship with "gator friends" lol.

Well we DID get an Indy movie with flying saucers.
I actually think the movie would have been a lot better with MORE cheesy sci-fi silliness and the original title, "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men From Mars."
Then it becomes a fun genre-merging homage and not a lame bait-and-switch.
I think they wanted to do a "WHAT A TWEEST" moment from M. Night Shymalanddingdong.

Cesar R M

Not everyone has the clout that Jim Hill has within the Disney blogging community.
Considering the mommy bloggers.. I dont think they have much skill for Disney.
For the "usual" fans in the other hands.. Jim seems to be doing fine.

Thursday/Friday cume would be the midnight start eastern standard time, with the west coast starting showings at 9 PM Thursday I believe but don't quote me. And yes, it will break 100 million easy, maybe over 120 million. If SW has a 500 million worldwide opening weekend, it will beat Avatar.
I think its time to unfold this image macro again...

"Meanwhile.. at Iger's "

2pmZdHr.jpg

Last edited:

Cesar R M

In the interest of full disclosure I suggest that Lee reveal the name of his source. Maybe we can see if that person has a criminal record. Maybe we could have them disclose their Disney employee evals to see if he/she is the type of person the collected forum members would approve of Disney hiring? Some here have asked all sorts of personal questions of Jim so why not have the anonymous CM face the same kind of scrutiny? I mean, you do have the right to face your accuser in this country.
Except there were not many accusations per se?
All the info seems to be from something that ALREADY HAPPENED, PROVEN and THAT THE CULPRIT DID TIME FOR.
closed and dusted id say.
Except the info is public. isnt it?

tokengator

Yes it is public. Anytime you deal with the government in that way (and many other ways) it is public record.

He could get some of that stuff expunged though, but probably unnecessary. 20 year old misdemeanor(s) is not something that is typically held over a persons head in many settings.

BlueSkyDriveBy

There really has been a long-running discussion here about comping lifestylers. Even if that discussion often feels like one set of lifestylers (who mostly deny they are such) bitchfighting other sets. That, and a certain glee here in trying to find fault in others, combined with an irresponsible tradition to try to damage lives and careers of people simply for harbouring positive attitudes to TWDC.
I believe this is at the core of the arguments against Hill.

Many of the lifestylers (wasn't familiar with the term till now, thanks) are not very pleasant people to deal with. I've had run-ins with some of them in the past during trips to both DL and WDW. Back in the day, they used to be called "annual *asshol*ers" by the CMs. And for good reason. It was beyond embarrassing to witness their entitlement behavior during AP events, especially towards the front line cast. I found myself apologizing for my very existence every time I held out my AP, for fear the CM would automatically lump me in with them.

Obviously, not all of these jerk APers ended up travelling down this social media blogger avenue. But plenty of them did, continuing the entitlement mentality which permeates everything they say, write, and do. And while some in Disney view them as an asset, I feel they are more of a liability, given their overall attitude and treatment of Disney personnel when on property, which often extends to their online offerings. I can't stand to read most of their garbage, knowing what they put hardworking CMs and bystander guests through in order to write the articles in the first place.

Does Hill belong to this group? Good question. There are times when I believe he does. Not always. But he's not completely innocent in this regard. But YMMV. It's all good.

gmajew

Premium Member
Opening weekend Guess for Star Wars - almost all projections have it beating Jurassic World and ending up north of 225M and the world wide opening also going down this weekend.

tokengator

>225 million would be insane.

with the movie sitting at 96% on RT with over 150 reviews --- I believe that might actually happen

I will go with 227 million

Cesar R M

You know the saying... some people can't see the forrest for the trees? I can't help it if some people aren't intelligent enough to keep up.
plus I'm pretty sure that the thing would have died if Jim hadnt entered the fray (and whoever summoned him pretty much extended the whole saga).

Cesar R M

Disney Transportation needs fundamental, cultural change l. They need to get back to a guest service focus, given that we are forced to schedule the heck out of our trips.

It takes entirely too long to get from point A to point B.
worse when theres people with disability and the entire extended family uses it for "priority" boarding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom