A Spirited Perfect Ten

MarkTwain

Had me until the second island bit!

I actually heard something about the island a while back

There's a lot of islands in the Bahamas. ;)

Put it this way.... Castaway Cay is seeing ships almost daily as is (especially with the recent popularity of "double-dip" cruises that visit twice). When Disney adds more ships to the line-up, they're going to need some other places to dock.

BrerJon

I'm not sure how some of them function when they realize that attraction concept art is exaggerated, too...

Indeed. I've been saying for ages that the floating mountains in Pandora wouldn't look that great in real life and under forced perspective, from the people that brought you Beast's Castle, but they look good in the concept art so many people thought that's what they'll look like in real life. After a while though, you learn to filter concept art and see what is truly likely. It's the same with the castle in Shanghai - looks enormous in the art, in reality only seems a little larger than MK's.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
2 rides each for the Star Wars Lands and they call it the biggest land ever! Fml...
I'm assuming they mean largest by land size or acres. FLE, Carsland and Avatar are all in the ballpark of 10 to 12 acres while this is being described as 14 acres. It's a pretty sizable land area when you think about how large FLE and Carsland are and this will be even bigger.

I assume at DHS it will include the 2 new rides plus Star Tours for a total of 3 SW rides. These days it doesn't seem like any new projects or lands are built with more than 2 or 3 new rides. Both Potter lands at Uni, FLE, Avatar, Carsland, etc... It's pretty standard practice. I'm less concerned with the number of rides and more interested in quality. Are both new rides E-tickets? Will the theming and atmosphere be fully integrated?

Did they mention anything about Pixar at DHS?

Wikkler

Star Wars for DHS finally confirmed and concept art has been released?
350x700px-LL-1756fde0_382.gif

tirian

Indeed. I've been saying for ages that the floating mountains in Pandora wouldn't look that great in real life and under forced perspective, from the people that brought you Beast's Castle, but they look good in the concept art so many people thought that's what they'll look like in real life. After a while though, you learn to filter concept art and see what is truly likely. It's the same with the castle in Shanghai - looks enormous in the art, in reality only seems a little larger than MK's.
The Shanghai castle seems to have wonky proportions, too. I'm not an architect, but I've been to enough places in Europe to know when things looks right or wrong.

Edit: The various Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella castles look like cohesive structures. Storybook Castle looks like a show building with castle parts tacked onto a façade.

TalkingHead

So why did Animation need to close at DHS? Nothing was announced for that area, right?

I'm surprised that the DHS changes weren't presented as a re-imagining of the park a la DCA's redo. I guess the execs prefer dribbling out the new stuff in Florida. Still, they could've vaguely promised new shows, new entertainment, etc.

TalkingHead

DAK also was touted as the largest Disney theme park ever built (which it was and still is) when it opened. Yet when it opened there was barely enough to do for a half a day. Amazing how guest areas vs. animal areas can play into marketing...or not.

After the garbage marketing that sold FLE as the "biggest expansion in the history of the MK," I've learned that when it comes to WDW projects, size doesn't matter.

14 acres with WDW's inefficient use of space is like 10 acres of compressed design at Uni Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom