A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
The FL resident WDW offer I mentioned last night is for what they term 'late summer' (i.e. the slowest period of the year) from August 16th thru October 3rd.

Rates being offered include:

Pop Century $84 weekdays/$99 weekends;
CBR $129 weekdays/$145 weekends;
YC $269 weekdays/$299 weekends;
SS (I'm guessing this is for a studio) $245 every day of the week.

I think those weekday rates are actually quite good (probably 35-40% off value season rack rate).

But on this very page I have a banner ad from the Waldorf Astoria announcing a sale with rooms from $159 a night thru Dec. 23rd (select nights).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Forgot to mention that while I was at Macy's jort shopping, I saw the most Star Wars clothing that I have seen in any non-Disney location in decades. Lots and lots of stuff at full price (but those $24 tees are five times the quality of what you'd get at the theme parks). You'd almost think a new film was coming out or something. ... and what was next to it on the display tables? Marvel apparel.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Speaking of Marvel, a MAGICal friend sent me this link earlier:

https://falconstreehouse.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/avengers-battle-of-ultron-attraction/

It would seem Disney is continuing to mine the Marvel BRAND in licensing deals (I believe but am not 100% positive that this development is what came out of the 2007-09 era plans for an entire full-realized Marvel theme park that was going to be built in Dubai before Disney bought the company). ... So while Disney would never build in the UAE, they don't have any issues with one of their prized acquisitions being used there. Sorta like the hypocrisy over the continued use of Marvel IP in slot machines and other gambling enterprises while pretending that gambling isn't family friendly for Florida when Wynn, MGM, Genting, LVS etc want to open destination resorts in the Miami Beach area.

lazyboy97o

Speaking of Marvel, a MAGICal friend sent me this link earlier:

https://falconstreehouse.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/avengers-battle-of-ultron-attraction/

It would seem Disney is continuing to mine the Marvel BRAND in licensing deals (I believe but am not 100% positive that this development is what came out of the 2007-09 era plans for an entire full-realized Marvel theme park that was going to be built in Dubai before Disney bought the company). ... So while Disney would never build in the UAE, they don't have any issues with one of their prized acquisitions being used there. Sorta like the hypocrisy over the continued use of Marvel IP in slot machines and other gambling enterprises while pretending that gambling isn't family friendly for Florida when Wynn, MGM, Genting, LVS etc want to open destination resorts in the Miami Beach area.
Fairly certain this is part of the older Marvel park plans that have continuously been scaled down. Falcon's Treehouse even did the conceptual design work for the Marvel park.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

Crowds, crowds, crowds......

So last year, at MK July-September, there was a Grand Total of 13 Peak Crowd level days.

Same Quarter at MK this year (19 days in)..... 12.

MK CMs, I'm so sorry.

For reference, there were 14 from Jan-March of this year. Summer is being rather relentless.

.... This keeps up through end of the summer? MK is going to blow right past 20M in the TEA estimates.
And The Spirit doubts me when I write that WDW will need a 5th theme park by 2025? :cool:

And support that statement with a graph? :D

WDW attendance to 2025.jpg

Brer Panther

First of all, the show building is pretty much identical in shape/size to MK/HK, so I don't think it's remotely going to be the DL version (which is definitely a good thing, although it's absolutely a more charming locale/outdoor queue than the Fantasyland tent style).

I too think Pooh is a bit the victim of sentimentality and harsh critique from what it replaced or what it wasn't. In MK it took out a beloved classic. In my opinion, it is a bit better of an attraction than Toad, but clearly not enough at the loss of another attraction. In HK it was simply a mess due to it being the only ride in Fantasyland on opening. That's just an unfair amount of pressure, it is by no means a headliner. Sorry HK, I love you, but your Fantasyland is still garbage. DL came after MK, was a lesser version and also removed another attraction (CBJ). Then of course they all suffer in relation to Tokyo as well.

For what it is worth, I think the MK/HK version are better paced/more thorough than Hunny Hunt, which comes up a bit short in number of show scenes. Now that said: the trackless ride tech, the improved scenery and AA's put Hunny Hunt leagues ahead. If Pooh takes a few tricks from Tokyo and melds some of the improved scenery/AA's, that would be a real boon for this attraction.

All that said - I don't terribly mind if Pooh is an out-and-out clone at SDL. Chief among those reasons is SDL has done a fantastic job of meeting a high originality benchmark, TSPL has been removed (which was my primary concern from a poor decision standpoint) and Pooh is the fourth rung attraction in their decent Fantasyland menu. It would be slightly odd though with how much everything else has been changed for SDL to have only one sole cloned hold-out...

They cloned the Florida Pooh for Hong Kong, so I imagine if Shanghai's Pooh is a clone, it'll be one of Florida's too.

As you said, people who hate Florida's Pooh are mainly just biased because it replaced Mr. Toad. If Pooh had replaced Snow White, they'd probably be much more accepting of it. Of course, even if Pooh had replaced Snow White, Mr. Toad would've just been replaced by a meet-and-greet or a Little Mermaid ride during the Fantasyland Expansion anyway.

I, personally, think that Florida's Pooh and Tokyo's Pooh are both great rides. The one problem I have with Tokyo's is that it doesn't really have an ending. We see Pooh surrounded by honey, and that's it. Florida's Pooh has a more coherent story. I think Pooh doesn't need to be exactly like Tokyo's, a nice refurbishment with new effects (and maybe some fuzzier animatronics), a la the one recently given to California's Alice in Wonderland, would be great. But I still enjoy the ride as is (on a side note, it was Paul Winchell's last performance as Tigger).

California's Pooh I can't defend (and I'm a HUGE fan of Pooh, so that's saying a lot).

burgess

But on this very page I have a banner ad from the Waldorf Astoria announcing a sale with rooms from $159 a night thru Dec. 23rd (select nights).

While I'm sure it's still a better deal than staying on Disney property, the Waldorf price doesn't include the $30 per night "resort fee." I'll go out of my way to avoid staying places that charge a nightly fee on top of their room rates.

Cosmic Commando

And The Spirit doubts me when I write that WDW will need a 5th theme park by 2025? :cool:

View attachment 102282
And the really scary thing is that we know the crowds will be heavily weighted towards MK, even with the construction in other parks. Imagine what the MK will look like in 2025! They need every penny of the $350M and the Frontierland money.

bhg469

Thanks!

Okay, for those playing the home game (like me)..... The offer is:

- Valid June 6 through August 13th.
- Limited Number of Rooms.
- Min 1 Night, Max 14 Nights
- Proof of Florida Residency Required
- Cannot be combined with any other discounts or promotions.
- Offer excludes 3-bedroom villas, campsites, Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort, Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter, The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort and Disney’s Art of Animation Resort – The Little Mermaid standard rooms.

I guess we should check availability for this weekend, right? Right. (Fri-Sun)

What do we get?
$134/Night at Pop. (Rack rate is $168)
$139/Night at AS-S/ASM (Rack is $174)
$150/Night at Coronado (Rack is $201)
$336/Night at AoA (Rack is $420)
$167/Night at CBR (Rack is $223)
$293/Night at Beach Club (Rack is $391)
$312/Night at Contemporary (Rack is $416)
$222/Night at OKW. (Rack is $343)
$345/Night at GFla. (Rack is $532?!?!)
$222/Night at Saratoga ($343)
$255/Night at Boardwalk ($393)
$254/Night at BW Villas ($392)
$411/Night at Beach Club Villas ($548!?!?)

Unavailable - DAK Lodge
$158/Night - ASM (No Discount)
$196/Night - PO-FQ. (No Discount)
Unavailable - Poly
Unavailable - WL
$452/Night - Poly Bungalows (No Discount)
$475/Night - BLT (No Mayo)
$518/Night - Villas at GF
Unavailable - DAK Kidani Village
Unavailable - Cabins at Wildy Campground
Unavailable - WL Villas
Unavailable - DAK Villas Jambo House
$85/Night - Campground.

Not sure I would describe any of this as heavily discounted.
Coronado is seemingly the best deal there... and that's not too great. It's shocking to see the rack rates.

bhg469

They cloned the Florida Pooh for Hong Kong, so I imagine if Shanghai's Pooh is a clone, it'll be one of Florida's too.

As you said, people who hate Florida's Pooh are mainly just biased because it replaced Mr. Toad. If Pooh had replaced Snow White, they'd probably be much more accepting of it. Of course, even if Pooh had replaced Snow White, Mr. Toad would've just been replaced by a meet-and-greet or a Little Mermaid ride during the Fantasyland Expansion anyway.

I, personally, think that Florida's Pooh and Tokyo's Pooh are both great rides. The one problem I have with Tokyo's is that it doesn't really have an ending. We see Pooh surrounded by honey, and that's it. Florida's Pooh has a more coherent story. I think Pooh doesn't need to be exactly like Tokyo's, a nice refurbishment with new effects (and maybe some fuzzier animatronics), a la the one recently given to California's Alice in Wonderland, would be great. But I still enjoy the ride as is (on a side note, it was Paul Winchell's last performance as Tigger).

California's Pooh I can't defend (and I'm a HUGE fan of Pooh, so that's saying a lot).
Question...
are you getting paid by the pooh?

Arthur Wellesley

View attachment 102282
Kinda weird how the attendance seems to take a dip in the first few years after a new park opens, at least according to that graph. Maybe people are assuming it will be overly packed due to the grand opening, and stay away to let the "new" wear off for a year or so.

Last edited:

TalkingHead

Have a YouTube embed.

It has the unfortunate distinction of being released in the wake of Inside Out. Not an easy act to follow.

I know I'm in the minority, but the trailers just look like second- or third-tier Pixar to me. The character designs reminds me of Aardman claymation. The story that the trailer is telling looks awfully by-the-numbers. Hope there's more to the final cut.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom