A Spirited Perfect Ten

FigmentJedi

Agree wholeheartedly.

I'm not sure why he was not asked to be involved in the 98' re-do of the Attraction.
He was still with us then ( he passed on in 2000 ) and he had a personal connection to the character.

I suppose the team tasked with the re-do were focused more on doing a completely different experience, and thus why a need was felt to ditch the characters associated with the Original Attraction.
It was a unforgivable mistake.
The 'updated' Vs 2 eliminated both, and without Figment involved this time around his voice was not needed.
A damn shame, as two years later Billy had passed away and the next re-do of the Attraction did'nt happen until 2002......two years too late!
There's the real rub.....

:oops:
V2 actually had new Figment dialog recorded by Corey Burton. But you know, at the very end in a room that was too dark to get good video of the projections of Idle and CG Figment.

brb1006

V2 actually had new Figment dialog recorded by Corey Burton. But you know, at the very end in a room that was too dark to get good video of the projections of Idle and CG Figment.
Wait that was Corey Burton? I thought that was Billy Barty's last performance as Figment.

Figments Friend

I wonder what Baxter thinks of the current version of the attraction?

To quote the man himself from a EPCOT related panel at the November 2012 IAAPA Convention -

" I don't think the Imagination Pavilion works anymore....'

And that is putting it mildly...but that was publicly spoken.

He is not a fan...by any means.
I think everyone here can figure it out without me saying any more.

Must have ripped the man's heart out when they decimated what i consider his masterpiece of Show Concept.
I'm just as happy as he probably is by the fact that regardless of it's removal , this Attraction has never been forgotten by the many of us who experienced it back in the day.
It is also comforting in some respects that today those ideals and characters from that Original experience still live on in new ways and in new forms.

Last edited:

brb1006

To quote the man himself from a EPCOT related panel at the November 2012 IAAPA Convention -

" I don't think the Imagination Pavilion works anymore....'

And that is putting it mildly...but that was publicly spoken.

He is not a fan...by any means.
I think everyone here can figure it out without me saying any more.

Must have ripped the man's heart out when they decimated what i consider his masterpiece of Show Concept.
I'm just as happy as he probably is that it was never been forgotten and today lives on in new ways.
That quote was so sad to read when I'm seeing old footage of kids having fun in the Imageworks.

Figments Friend

Ah yes...wow....i totally don't recall that.
See, i have completely blocked that horrid 'Version 2' of the Attraction from my memory.

The thing i most recall about the entire experience was wanting to cry at the conclusion of the ride, and exiting to find the nearest Cast Member to give them a piece of my mind.
I was gentle....i know what they have to go through with cranky Guests, but man did i voice a real concern for what i had just witnessed.
If i was smarter back then i would have headed straight for Guest Relations and expressed my concerns to some uppers...but i was just too beside myself with shock and outrage at the decimation.

I remember the response too....the CM looked at me and said - "You are not alone....we have had thousands of complaints about this, and they are going to close this one and open a new ride in a year or two ".
And that they did......thankfully, .but it did little to heal the wound.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Some Pixar Things:
They had their annual "Motorama" car show in Emeryville today. Pete Docter drives this car.
image.jpg

One of the story artists who worked on Inside Out, Matt Jones, has posted the process drawings that got them to that title.
http://mattjonezanimation.blogspot.it/2015/07/the-untitled-pixar-film-that-takes-you.html?m=1

Not Pixar related persay, but actor Marlon Brando was a computer graphics enthusiast and worked on an unfinished short film.
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/marlon-brando-was-a-secret-tech-geek-and-photoshop-124061824672.html

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Signs It's Time to Take a Nice Long MAGICal Break:

Talking about Figment;
Future plans aside, two of Disney's FL parks have never offered Guests less to see/do/experience and charged more;
The realization that many Lifestylers have FAR more Twit followers than people of import -- both in the entertainment industry and out;
The continued misunderstanding and downright ignorance over what Disney announced in Shanghai and how it does/doesn't affect WDW or anything else;
The fact I've read half a dozen reviews of Ant-Man today (no, Marvel fanbois, don't read A.O. Scott in the NYT!);
The fact I didn't bring half my Chipotle home for a second meal;
I want to express anger about DL changing its namesake band on its 60th B-day, yet as the kewl kidz say 'I just can't ...';

BrerJon

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that my chances of seeing this panel at the Expo is pretty much non-exsistant now.
People will be camping out Thursday night for this, for sure.

Ah well...they can have George.
My interests lie elsewhere.....and in other people who i hope to see there.
;)

That's sensible. It can be great fun outside the panels but the chances of getting into any of the main ones are slim.

Expect at least a 5 or 6 hour line for Parks and Resorts panel, an infinite line for the Legends and Movies panel (anything with star appearances will have a huge line) and even smaller panels will be at least an hour.

Go to hang out with other Disney fans and you'll have fun, go expecting to get into the arena to see the cast of Civil War or Force Awakens, or George Lucas, or hear Tom Staggs show Avatar concept art, you'll likely be disappointed.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I saw there's a thread about the ridiculously named Tables in Wonderland going away. Do I care? Not at all, although I sense a screwing of Guests coming.

I haven't had the thing since I was one of the first 1,000 members of the Disney Dining Experience. Back when it was exclusively for FL residents (back in 1995 when they cared about locals!), back when it was $25 for TWO cards. Back when you could go over to the Concourse Steakhouse, walk up and wait 20 minutes for a table, get a nice 10 oz sirloin for $15.99 WITH a side AND soup or salad BEFORE the discount. Now, there's a fast food joint there. And if you want a nice steak at the Contemporary that a la carte filet at the California Grill isn't $25 like it was then, nope it's $46. Yeah, there's been an increase in costs, but NOT that much or even close.

But I feel like I'm talking to myself at times here ... sure, if you're insane enough to pay Disney prices and give them all or most of your dining $$$ than of course you can make TiW a value. But like I said, you have to be insane enough to feel Disney's food warrants you buying enough of it to then pay (what is it now? $95$?) for a discount card.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Disney is usually pretty careful with their language. For example on the Peter Pan ride description it says they are getting a new Peter Pan ride and that the ride system itself will be making its debut in that park. Also for Soarin' it makes it very clear what exactly is exclusive to that park (the Great Wall of China and Shanghai scenes).

I'm not saying Tron is getting announced at D23 or anything but it does imply they are leaving themselves open to doing a Tron ride at their other parks around the globe.

You see it because you'd like to. But you are not wrong. It could be built elsewhere ... much like WRE is what's coming to MK's Frontierland ... if they don't call Tony Baxter back to consult on a FL version of Discovery Bay.

See what I'm saying?

The language used on the SDL site and press materials was written with so much deference to China that you almost wonder if it came from Beijing directly.

Even Iger's speaking about the castle and its size and grandeur. It was all designed to make people in China happy and make it appear as though the resort was the greatest thing Disney has ever done (sadly, it's not!) It was all ''see this, the first carousel at a Disney park with horses that are multi-colored!'' ... ''see that, it's the first pirates theme land at any Disney Park in the world.''

So, you shouldn't read a damn thing into Tron. If that attraction was designed in 2012 and not 2010 it would have been themed to Iron Man or another Avenger.

Also, was that River Rapids ride initially designed by Baxter or one of his protégés? The reason I ask is because in his Afterword for the Disney Mountains book Tony made a passing reference to a future mountain that could potentially be themed around China's dragon teeth mountain range which this attraction seems to have an influence from. My other guess was that this was some concept Joe Rhode whipped up for Animal Kingdom that never went anywhere.

I'm not sure who the leads were/are on Roaring Rapids. But Tony had no role on SDL whatsoever. ... I don't recall this being a Joe Rohde concept or based on one, but that might be possible.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Don't tempt it my friend, Dumbo,Pinocchio and Beauty And The Beast are already in the early stages of production.

I'm still trying to figure out how this is somehow not strip-mining the BRAND, but when Eisner made direct-to-video sequels of the same animated films (some totally crap to be fair, but some pretty damn good too) it was such a bad thing. Oh yeah, the Twitverse didn't exist then and Lifestylers were in their infancy. Those folks love Iger.

Figments Friend

That's sensible. It can be great fun outside the panels but the chances of getting into any of the main ones are slim.

Expect at least a 5 or 6 hour line for Parks and Resorts panel, an infinite line for the Legends and Movies panel (anything with star appearances will have a huge line) and even smaller panels will be at least an hour.

Go to hang out with other Disney fans and you'll have fun, go expecting to get into the arena to see the cast of Civil War or Force Awakens, or George Lucas, or hear Tom Staggs show Avatar concept art, you'll likely be disappointed.

My main reason for attending the Expo is for the chance to see Tony Baxter in person.
Everything else is secondary.
As a long time admirer or his work, and very appreciative of what he has done over the years for not just me but for the Theme Parks as a whole, i am hoping to see him there.

I'm not interested in the Expo Limited Edition merchandise aspects, not really interested in Star Wars or Marvel related things, and i am not overly interested in waiting hours in line to see panels i will likely see up on YouTube within moments of being filmed.
It's all about the chance to meet up with Tony.

Hoping a panel will be added soon where he will be telling some more of his insightfully entertaining stories.
I will happily line up for that!
:)

I DO want to spend some time in the WDI Pavilion, see the Archives Exhibit for DL's 60th, and of course check out the varied scene on the main Show Floor.
I am keeping my expectations low....and hoping to be blown away.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, a friend also mentioned that I should have included Empire in the TV Academy's slight of network dramas. While I haven't watched the show, I'm quite sure said friend is right considering the show is such a hit and highly acclaimed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom