A Spirited Perfect Ten

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I can't help but think that numerous individuals in the fan community are taking my information, mixing in some from a few others here (like @marni1971 and @PhotoDave219 ) and putting forth all sorts of plans and speculation regarding what Disney will be spending on in its reBRANDing and redeveloping The Corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios. I suppose I/we should be flattered, but I just don't think it is ethical to take information from others and not credit where it came from.
Very true.

Longhairbear

I have to post here, an off topic, total rant, because I know the higher ups at Disney read WDW1971 threads.
Build more DVC resorts/units at Disneyland please? I can't book a villa for the life of me, because there are only 50 of them. They're booked solid for all the dates I want to spend at Disneyland from now until next Feb.
I hope part of that billion dollar enhancement to DLR includes new DVC villas. End of rant.

Tigger1988

I have to post here, an off topic, total rant, because I know the higher ups at Disney read WDW1971 threads.
Build more DVC resorts/units at Disneyland please? I can't book a villa for the life of me, because there are only 50 of them. They're booked solid for all the dates I want to spend at Disneyland from now until next Feb.
I hope part of that billion dollar enhancement to DLR includes new DVC villas. End of rant.
Same thing happened to us. Kept us from doing the Star Wars marathon weekend too.

Just booked our trip for Feb, not our first choice but it seems every other time of the year is impossible to obtain.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
or people smarted up and do not want to expend that much of money, for crowded parks? :p

That inflection point I keep talking about we may be seeing it NOW, I also live in a area dependent on tourism Lakes in summer and Skiing in Winter and traffic and occupancy numbers here are simply unbelievable. So if the swamp kingdom is having low attendance...

Chippy

A very Happy July 4th to all in this MAGICal realm.

I admit I'm surprised there are no breathless phased closing threads. Summer and July 4th falling on a weekend. Nothing yesterday. Nothing today. As near as I can tell, nothing at UNI as well.

I'm going to start wondering about it being crazy busy in O-Town all the time now (it really isn't .... just compared to say 1985 or 1995 it's busier) if we can't even get capacity parks on the July 4th weekend!

If there were no closings, there should have been. I was at MK last night and had the extremely surreal experience of watching the much anticipated fireworks from a parking lot behind Main St. With views only to be found behind your average strip mall, we had the choice of seeing the top of the castle over a construction wall, that, I am guessing was hastily thrown up to block the porta potties that still managed to peek over top if it, but with really no way to hear the audio or standing where you could hear the audio and see nothing but backlot. The audio seemed boom box quality at best. We were repeatedly assured we missed nothing by not being on Main St.

We knew the crowds would be insane but spent the day enjoying FP and some moderate standby lines. We would have been on Main St by 6:30 but a rainstorm with some lightning drove us in to Cosmic Rays. We're traveling with a family that has a little guy. By 7 the bridges to Main St were closed and we were being herded to the back lot with all the Magic of a traffic cop signaling cars around an accident.

I have been at MK when the park was closed because if capacity crowds and this was worse by far.

Goofyernmost

If you are ok with non-equity "entertainers" drawing pictures on the ground then you are more than welcome to keep spending your time and money doing so. I never said Disney is wrong. If they can get off cheap "satisfying" people like you with a water picture and towel animals then there is no reason for them to hire real entertainers.

When I was in Guest Relations, before towel animals and water pictures, you would not believe the amount of guests demanding that Disney add those to the parks. Oh wait...that never happened ever. Ever.
OK, no one asked because no one knew they existed, or at least not at Disney. One of your favorite legacies, one Walt Disney, regularly did things that no one asked for, no one demanded and no one even thought about. Worked pretty well for him I believe. Give people what they didn't expect, how much money that was invested in that was totally irrelevant. Small things are a huge part of the memories. Any wahoo can spend huge amounts of cash to impress the masses, however, the little things are what make the difference and those little things do not have to be something that has been happening since the beginning of time.

BrerJon

In short custodians do a heck of a lot more than clean toilets and trash cans and they are most deffinitly worthy of the title guest services.

I think Custodial is one of the best jobs on property if you like guest interaction, the only problem is snooty guests looking down on you when you're paid the same as any other role and just as qualified.

When Disney operated at top quality, the custodials doing water pictures was one of those 'wow' moments that lifted the parks above their competitors - 'even their cleaners are talented entertainers!'. It's a small detail, but the sort of thing that people would tell the folks back home about their vacation.

Things like that should never be done at the expense of the job, but there's no reason they can't be factored in as part of the job, as long as there's a balance. Most locations have some kind of guest interaction downtime activity for Cast Members and those little details do add up. If it makes the CM's day more fun and helps them maintain a cheery disposition, then that's even better.

BrerJon

Just booked our trip for Feb, not our first choice but it seems every other time of the year is impossible to obtain.

Do the DVC sales pitches mention how difficult it might be to book things? I've often noted people seem to have problems, and yet - although I've never been to a pitch - from the basic information Disney gives to try to get you to go to one makes it sound like you can use your points any time, anywhere in the world, at any resort.

Not mentioning that in reality choices might be limited seems to be a big thing they really should alert people to in advance.

BrerJon

By 7 the bridges to Main St were closed and we were being herded to the back lot with all the Magic of a traffic cop signaling cars around an accident.

I wonder what the crowds were like in Fantasyland? That's in my view the best place to watch fireworks from at any time, but I guess 4th July would have been very crowded but still more space. You could have gone round the back if you were in Cosmic Rays and watched them there.

I know what you mean about being herded into the bypass. I hate the new gestapo cop attitude of funneling everyone there regardless. Recently I was at Plaza Ice Cream just after Wishes, went up to Tomorrowland Terrace to get up to Space Mountain but the CMs were forcing everyone to go to the bypass, as if they wanted to leave the park... no exceptions... I had to then go down the bypass, back up Main Street, and round via Liberty Square in order to get to Tomorrowland - ridiculous!

Next Big Thing

What good is it to refer someone as a Custodial Guest Services Cast Member if it is internal? If the guest does not know that is what you are (which you are not because that is why they have Guest Relations at each park) they would publicize it.

I looked and no mention of "Guest Services" here: http://parksjobs.disneycareers.com/careers/custodial-jobs
It's not a matter of the guests knowing, it's simply because on top of our main job, we basically have a second job, and that's answering questions all day long or pointing people in the right directions. You know, HELPING guests. You're being ignorant if you think Guests services isn't probably 40-50% part of what we do on a daily basis. Because we are the one's always walking around, we are the one's constantly getting stopped by guests and asked question. I personally have no problem with it and try to be as nice and helpful as possible while being quick and getting my job done in a timely manner. Most of my other CM's are the same way.

Every single piece of paper that refers to the job refers to it that way and in fact, it ISN'T just internal. Go up to any Custodial CM in the park and this is what you will see on their costume in the upper right hand corner:

custodial%20mickey3_zpsgwptkcjw.jpg

Tigger1988

Do the DVC sales pitches mention how difficult it might be to book things? I've often noted people seem to have problems, and yet - although I've never been to a pitch - from the basic information Disney gives to try to get you to go to one makes it sound like you can use your points any time, anywhere in the world, at any resort.

Not mentioning that in reality choices might be limited seems to be a big thing they really should alert people to in advance.
I doubt the WDW pitches do, since finding a DVC room isn't nearly as difficult as DLR. I would be really interested to see if CA owners are totally made aware that only 50 rooms exist.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wonder what the crowds were like in Fantasyland? That's in my view the best place to watch fireworks from at any time, but I guess 4th July would have been very crowded but still more space. You could have gone round the back if you were in Cosmic Rays and watched them there.

I know what you mean about being herded into the bypass. I hate the new gestapo cop attitude of funneling everyone there regardless. Recently I was at Plaza Ice Cream just after Wishes, went up to Tomorrowland Terrace to get up to Space Mountain but the CMs were forcing everyone to go to the bypass, as if they wanted to leave the park... no exceptions... I had to then go down the bypass, back up Main Street, and round via Liberty Square in order to get to Tomorrowland - ridiculous!

A MAGICal experience was it not... Confirms what I said in another thread long ago 'If you are in the WRONG section of the park you will be herded down the bypass no matter what"

Next Big Thing

If a custodial CM is finished with their area, they should be going to another area to help. There's always something that needs cleaning up with the savages trekking through the parks nowadays rather than trying to take the place of the entertainment dept
You're missing the point. I'm not talking about the middle of the day when there's endless things to do. I'm talking end of the night when everyone is doing their closing run. Once a closing run is done, the CM is virtually done. Hell, sometimes they get ASSIGNED to do water art if there's no work left and it's not time to leave yet.

Goodness you people are cynical here. It's a harmless exercise being criticized for what reason exactly? Out of all of the things, this takes away from work literally not at all... some days we don't even do it. What Custodial does is not easy. Try and be Casey's trasher for 4-5 hours straight without a break (the absolute hardest place to for the job in all of WDW as it has such little seating). Try doing a trash run after the fireworks. Try cleaning up after some indescribable things after you were assigned to bathrooms (I don't even know how some things happen...). Oh and those Code-V's... sometimes you get lucky and get none, but then some days you'll get 4-5 or more just in one day.

A lot of it isn't easy and it's not pretty. We aren't just goofing around, handing out stickers and playing with water all the time. I'll be honest and say that there is a bit of a miscommunication between management, but overall we have a pretty damn good system running and keep the park about as clean as we can for about 50,000 visitors destroying the place on average per daily basis

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
I honestly think the Terminator movie was also affected by the "meh, another badly done reboot" issue.

Anyone remembers that other crappy reboot. ROBOCOP?

speaking of crowds..
Jurassic World is now above 1.2 Billion worldwide..
WOW!

It destroyed Avengers big time.

Makes you wonder.. will it surpass avatar??
You might want to do a little research before sticking your foot in your mouth. Avatar's total world-wide box office is $2.788 billion. Next closest is Titanic with $2.186 billion. Avengers:Age of Ultron has done $1.372 billion, while Jurassic World is only at $1.284 billion. Almost $100 million less. Jurassic will NEVER catch Avatar. Research is your friend. Here are the Top 10 Box Office movies of all time:

Rank/Title Worldwide Domestic Overseas
1 Avatar $2,788.0 $760.5 $2,027.5
2 Titanic $2,186.8 $658.7 $1,528.1
3 Marvel's The Avengers $1,518.6 $623.4 $895.2
4 Furious 7 $1,511.6 $351.0 $1,160.6
5 Avengers: Age of Ultron $1,372.4 $453.3 $919.1
6 HP Deathly Halls Part 2 $1,341.5 $381.0 $960.5
7 Jurassic World Uni. $1,284.5 $539.0 $745.5
8 Frozen $1,274.2 $400.7 $873.5
9 Iron Man 3 $1,215.4 $409.0 $806.4
10 Transf: D of the M $1,123.8 $352.4 $771.4

twebber55

You might want to do a little research before sticking your foot in your mouth. Avatar's total world-wide box office is $2.788 billion. Next closest is Titanic with $2.186 billion. Avengers:Age of Ultron has done $1.372 billion, while Jurassic World is only at $1.284 billion. Almost $100 million less. Jurassic will NEVER catch Avatar. Research is your friend. Here are the Top 10 Box Office movies of all time:

Rank/Title Worldwide Domestic Overseas
1 Avatar $2,788.0 $760.5 $2,027.5
2 Titanic $2,186.8 $658.7 $1,528.1
3 Marvel's The Avengers $1,518.6 $623.4 $895.2
4 Furious 7 $1,511.6 $351.0 $1,160.6
5 Avengers: Age of Ultron $1,372.4 $453.3 $919.1
6 HP Deathly Halls Part 2 $1,341.5 $381.0 $960.5
7 Jurassic World Uni. $1,284.5 $539.0 $745.5
8 Frozen $1,274.2 $400.7 $873.5
9 Iron Man 3 $1,215.4 $409.0 $806.4
10 Transf: D of the M $1,123.8 $352.4 $771.4
the real question is, can JW pass Marvel's The Avengers?
because its not sniffing the other two

Funmeister

I respect your opinion but,
You are confusing guest services with guest relations. Custodians are the first line of defense in maintaining a happy enjoyable park. We are the ones that keep the park clean but we are also the ones who help people find there way, walk people to first aid when they need help, we are the ones who call in safety and maintenance issues, we are also the ones who replace that Mickey ice cream bar that your little one dropped, the ones that keep you safe when you are drunk and acting stupid.…

And sure the other cast members can do everything the custodians can do to ensure a happy enjoyable park but custodians are the only ones who can leave there location to do it and we are also generally the only cast who guests can have an extended conversation with.

In short custodians do a heck of a lot more than clean toilets and trash cans and they are most deffinitly worthy of the title guest services.

No I understand perfectly. I totally understand that custodial is the front line of defense. I can also say that I have seen some front line cast (custodial and non-custodial - attractions CM tying to get a tie line to the restaurant to make reservations?) try to do things that really are not part of their job. I'm going to stop this part of the debate right here because that is not even what we were discussing. We can save that for another day.

I disagree with your last statement. WIth that logic if you work extra extra hard then why not call yourself VP of Magic Kingdom Services? Custodial cast members are not Guest Services. Yes. They do provide service to the guests but not the kind that are associated with the title. Walk in any resort, hotel or theme park (Disney or non-DIsney) and I guarantee you that employees who work in Guest Services/Guest Relations are not in custodial or janitorial positions. I am not talking away the fact that custodial Cast Members are the hardest working CM's in the parks. But it seems by some of the comments that is where some (not necessarily you) want to take the conversation. We can also agree to disagree.

Funmeister

It's not a matter of the guests knowing, it's simply because on top of our main job, we basically have a second job, and that's answering questions all day long or pointing people in the right directions. You know, HELPING guests. You're being ignorant if you think Guests services isn't probably 40-50% part of what we do on a daily basis. Because we are the one's always walking around, we are the one's constantly getting stopped by guests and asked question. I personally have no problem with it and try to be as nice and helpful as possible while being quick and getting my job done in a timely manner. Most of my other CM's are the same way.

Every single piece of paper that refers to the job refers to it that way and in fact, it ISN'T just internal. Go up to any Custodial CM in the park and this is what you will see on their costume in the upper right hand corner:

custodial%20mickey3_zpsgwptkcjw.jpg

I believe you said it was internal in a previous post?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom