A Spirited Perfect Ten

bhg469

I always enjoy The Spirit's posts... However you cannot compare the Kuka effect in Gringott's to the Yeti. First of all, it has NEVER been advertised as the star of the show. It's a great effect that if working correctly, guests will never even notice. The Yeti is the centerpiece. One that they STILL hype... After about a DECADE of being inactive.

Further, the Kuka screen effect is not permanently out of the show. It is actively being worked on. I don't get how two months = ten years. This is one of many reasons people aren't harping on the issue.

Personally, I'd rather them fix the in-vehicle audio issues well before the screen effect.
Agreed, while it is a ground breaking effect it is definitely not disco yeti Level embarrassing.

I unfortunately rode it a day after the ride re opened but I can see how much cooler it would be while working. The fog does cover the doorway, sadly you can see the doorway before the fog...

I can only hope both teams fix their respective issues.

NormC

A huge wall with plenty of seating and people chose to sit on the ground.

And we wonder why they got rid of the benches.
I like how they made the wall a bench by mounting the railings further back. They most likely got rid of actual benches because they impede the flow of the large crowds and monster strollers. Also if they had centered the railings on the walls people would just sit on the rails instead.

NormC

And yet not 1 hand drawn feature on the horizon.

"This isn't your Grandad's Disney"- Bob Iger.

I give up. Disney is artistically bankrupt.

Attractions-Magazine-magic-kingdom-new-hub-2.jpg

I'm sorry, but if you think that picture is beautiful, you only have taste in your mouth.
I guess in your opinion I don't have any taste because the only thing offensive in that photo is the ugly light poles. The rest looks like people enjoying their day in a park.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Spirited Smoking Gun?

Let's put some links out, explain a bit and then see where things go ... but this might explain why Bob Iger was so quick and so willing to have his lovely wife, Willow Bay, censor an Op-Ed in the HuffPo ... or, if you would prefer to believe otherwise, then perhaps this might explain why it was so important for the column to simply vanish.

Read this one first:

http://www.fcpablog.com/blog/2015/4...fficial-detained-for-alleged-shanghai-di.html

Now this one:

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/128...gation/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Also, apparently, even the WSJ has mentioned this major case of graft accusations, although leaving out his role (which I believe to be substantial) in Shanghai Disneyland's approval and development. Chinese language only news outlets in the mainland have reported, in somewhat of a departure from protocol, greater detail of the exact allegations.

Dai Haibo, who was part of the infamous Shanghai delegation to Disneyland Paris in 2006 that I personally witnessed and watched as Karl Holz almost single-handedly destroyed work that had begun in the 1990s when he was still managing food and beverage at Pleasure Island, was reported to have been taken into custody on March 2nd in the government's efforts to crackdown on graft.

On March 17th, the Central Government issued a news release formally announcing a ''serious violation of the law'' by the one-time Deputy Secretary General of the Shanghai Municipal Government.

At one time, and until the arrest, Dai was second only to the mayor of Shanghai in the structure of the local government -- and a rising star for the Party -- with the primary role of heading the Shanghai Free Trade Zone and, more importantly, the Pudong Tourism Development Area of which Shanghai Disneyland is the cornerstone castle.

The investigation as near as I can tell through sources in China and mainland media centers on Dai's role in improperly benefiting from real estate acquisition, demolition, and construction at the very site on which Shanghai Disneyland is now rising.

All of this, largely, occurred just after Gary Snyder's HuffPo column was wiped off the 'net by the freedom loving folks at The Walt Disney Company (I'm sure you 'net savvy people might understand why a tech neophyte like me has decided to write things out versus abbreviating.) In China, this is being viewed as one of the most high profile of recent arrests in the anti-graft campaign.

And to think, it involves The Walt Disney Company ... Bob Iger's Disney ... imagine that ... I can see why Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China really couldn't stay out there.

Wonder how many news outlets here are opting to ignore this, something widely reported in evil, vile, Godless, Commie, Pinko China, because they are afraid of the Walt Disney Company and Robert A. Iger. I also wonder what that Snyder character, who was spotted by my own little minions of Disney destruction hanging out on Lantau with a couple of Party officials to celebrate Easter or Passover or neither, really knows and if the beloved (by the Chinese Party elders) and well-connected Redstone family was tipped off that this was happening and what more might be coming.

Again, I'm not saying I have all the facts, the news is coming out of China, after all. But things sure are starting to slide together into place ... I'd be very worried if I were Bob Iger. Very worried.

No, I don't expect Brooks Barnes to be writing about this. But I'd love it if someone emailed him this post ... any volunteers? When the China Daily, CCTV, Xinhua and others are reporting what the New York Times and basically every other news outlet in this country don't believe is something you should see or read about ... it does give one pause yet again about our wonderful supposed American democracy and free press.

Or, if you would prefer, it just makes you wonder what Iger has gotten himself and Disney into over in China.

More than Bob Iger and The Walt Disney Company can handle.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
hang on.. why a carpload of people who were or are executives.. (who were from Disney or from Disney competitors) are happily cruising in Disneyland Shangai, yet bob and their crew havent?

I almost feel like the chinese are mocking Iger big time.
And he just has to keep face to prevent any embarrassment.

If you know the Chinese they are indeed mocking Iger and Disney management.

Goofyernmost

You mean how people keep moving from state to state to have better financial stability/payments/lower taxes?
Actually, yes! That's a point that has been said a million times here, to much ridicule. If you cannot make things change just by being disgruntled, you find a place that fits your needs better. That's where the root of the expression, Disney is a Business, comes from. It is what it is. If we truly think that it is bad for our enjoyment, we find someplace that fits our needs. That's also the basis of competition. If enough people take that action, then Disney will see the need to respond. There's talking the talk or walking the walk. The later works, the former, not so much.

BrianLo

If you know the Chinese they are indeed mocking Iger and Disney management.

Just to clarify @Cesar R M, Spirit was only talking about HKDL, not SDL. Snyder was touring HKDL only (Lantau is the island it is on).

I'm not sure what the takeaway is, but Snyder really loves or really hates HKDL as we know he's been there a few times in the past too.

Maybe he's trying to launch his own theme park project?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just to clarify @Cesar R M, Spirit was only talking about HKDL, not SDL. Snyder was touring HKDL only (Lantau is the island it is on).

I'm not sure what the takeaway is, but Snyder really loves or really hates HKDL as we know he's been there a few times in the past too.

Maybe he's trying to launch he's own theme park project?

I'm well aware of the difference, In China the who and the where is a message in itself the act of meeting a competitor on the property of their chief rival a major loss of 'face' for Disney.

I've worked for a Chinese boss for the past few years and I've learned much about the culture and how business is done in China.

Nubs70

Spirited Smoking Gun?

Let's put some links out, explain a bit and then see where things go ... but this might explain why Bob Iger was so quick and so willing to have his lovely wife, Willow Bay, censor an Op-Ed in the HuffPo ... or, if you would prefer to believe otherwise, then perhaps this might explain why it was so important for the column to simply vanish.

Read this one first:

http://www.fcpablog.com/blog/2015/4...fficial-detained-for-alleged-shanghai-di.html

Now this one:

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/128...gation/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Also, apparently, even the WSJ has mentioned this major case of graft accusations, although leaving out his role (which I believe to be substantial) in Shanghai Disneyland's approval and development. Chinese language only news outlets in the mainland have reported, in somewhat of a departure from protocol, greater detail of the exact allegations.

Dai Haibo, who was part of the infamous Shanghai delegation to Disneyland Paris in 2006 that I personally witnessed and watched as Karl Holz almost single-handedly destroyed work that had begun in the 1990s when he was still managing food and beverage at Pleasure Island, was reported to have been taken into custody on March 2nd in the government's efforts to crackdown on graft.

On March 17th, the Central Government issued a news release formally announcing a ''serious violation of the law'' by the one-time Deputy Secretary General of the Shanghai Municipal Government.

At one time, and until the arrest, Dai was second only to the mayor of Shanghai in the structure of the local government -- and a rising star for the Party -- with the primary role of heading the Shanghai Free Trade Zone and, more importantly, the Pudong Tourism Development Area of which Shanghai Disneyland is the cornerstone castle.

The investigation as near as I can tell through sources in China and mainland media centers on Dai's role in improperly benefiting from real estate acquisition, demolition, and construction at the very site on which Shanghai Disneyland is now rising.

All of this, largely, occurred just after Gary Snyder's HuffPo column was wiped off the 'net by the freedom loving folks at The Walt Disney Company (I'm sure you 'net savvy people might understand why a tech neophyte like me has decided to write things out versus abbreviating.) In China, this is being viewed as one of the most high profile of recent arrests in the anti-graft campaign.

And to think, it involves The Walt Disney Company ... Bob Iger's Disney ... imagine that ... I can see why Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China really couldn't stay out there.

Wonder how many news outlets here are opting to ignore this, something widely reported in evil, vile, Godless, Commie, Pinko China, because they are afraid of the Walt Disney Company and Robert A. Iger. I also wonder what that Snyder character, who was spotted by my own little minions of Disney destruction hanging out on Lantau with a couple of Party officials to celebrate Easter or Passover or neither, really knows and if the beloved (by the Chinese Party elders) and well-connected Redstone family was tipped off that this was happening and what more might be coming.

Again, I'm not saying I have all the facts, the news is coming out of China, after all. But things sure are starting to slide together into place ... I'd be very worried if I were Bob Iger. Very worried.

No, I don't expect Brooks Barnes to be writing about this. But I'd love it if someone emailed him this post ... any volunteers? When the China Daily, CCTV, Xinhua and others are reporting what the New York Times and basically every other news outlet in this country don't believe is something you should see or read about ... it does give one pause yet again about our wonderful supposed American democracy and free press.

Or, if you would prefer, it just makes you wonder what Iger has gotten himself and Disney into over in China.
Thus the viscosity of the vessel is increasing.

I can see Willow channeling Lady Macbeth scrubbing furiously while proclaiming "Out damn spot".

Wonder how long before this story goes dilatant.

Nice to see a hypothesis develop based on direct and developing direct evidence.

Funmeister

Spirited Smoking Gun?

For some reason I felt this appropriate:

Willy Wonka: There's no earthly way of knowing/Which direction they are going... There's no knowing where they're rowing...

Mr. Salt: [weakly echoing] Rowing...

Willy Wonka: Or which way the river's flowing... Is it raining, is it snowing?/Is a hurricane a-blowing?

[sharp gasp]

Willy Wonka: Not a speck of light is showing/So the danger must be growing... Are the fires of Hell a-glowing?/Is the grisly Reaper mowing?/Yes! The danger must be growing/'Cause the rowers keep on rowing/

[practically screaming]

Willy Wonka: And they're certainly not showing/Any sign that they are slowing!

[lets out a high-pitched, almost unearthly scream]

DDLand

I'm well aware of the difference, In China the who and the where is a message in itself the act of meeting a competitor on the property of their chief rival is a major loss of 'face' for Disney.

I've worked for a Chinese boss for the past few years and I've learned much about the culture and how business is done in China.
Well they couldn't really deny him entrance to Hong Kong DL, could they? I mean I guess they could, but that would be rude.

Lee

Adventurer
Spirited Smoking Gun?

Read this one first:

Now this one:

Finally...the pieces are falling into place...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I really don't think we're that far off at all. I just think there's a piece missing which is causing the back and forth - the diff between internally developed by the company versus internally developed contractually with a Provider.
Nope. That isn't the cause the difference in view.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well they couldn't really deny him entrance to Hong Kong DL, could they? I mean I guess they could, but that would be rude.

You miss the point, They could have had the meeting anywhere in HK, They CHOSE to have it there and let the press know it was happening, This was deliberate and calculated not simply a chance meeting at the park.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I guess in your opinion I don't have any taste because the only thing offensive in that photo is the ugly light poles. The rest looks like people enjoying their day in a park.
To me, its bad because your supposed to see the castle in a fairy tale style setting as if you were in an actual land of fantasy. A sea full of people from every angle completely destroys that type of atmosphere.

Prior to the new design it could be a busy day and MSUSA and the hub could be crowded but you could get a view of the castle from certain angles without seeing much of the crowds. It was a great design. I understand that crowd levels have risen and something had to be done, but IMO they sacrificed beauty for functionality. That type of concept was once avoided at WDW but now its heralded, and for what, so people can lay down on hot turf or so they can add an additional selection to the pool of FP+ because MK is so crowded in part due to Epcot and HS having a lack of attractions that keep people there longer? Ive said before, the new hub design is not bad, but its not beautiful either.

spacemt354

Chili's
And yet not 1 hand drawn feature on the horizon.

"This isn't your Grandad's Disney"- Bob Iger.

I give up. Disney is artistically bankrupt.

Attractions-Magazine-magic-kingdom-new-hub-2.jpg

I'm sorry, but if you think that picture is beautiful, you only have taste in your mouth.

I know you're a Uni-fanatic and a Disney downer, but let's try to be unbiased for a moment.

I would personally prefer the park setting at the hub. It provided shade, benches, etc. However, that doesn't mean there aren't aspects of the new Hub that are very beautiful. Seen below.
gfwdw123456LARGE.jpg

Again, it's not perfect, but it's better than what was there 5 years ago. I'm not sure how they are artistically bankrupt...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom