A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Spirited China Musings (Character Dim Sum available for extra cost):

One of HKDL's original attractions/shows will be going away late this summer to make way for something new. The Golden Mickeys (a true E-Ticket stage show if there ever was one) will be ending its run from 2005 to make way for a new 10th anniversary spectacular that will be taking over the theater later this fall. I don't know specifics of the new show, but I'd expect to see lots of recent characters (Frozen, Frozen, Frozen ... and some of the other films like Tangled, Princess and Frog, Wreck it Ralph, Brave etc may have appearances).

Because of its popularity, this is a very risky move. The show is considered one of the top attractions in the park, rated by guests ahead of attractions like Mystic Manor and Space Mountain.

To be clear, this show is not a copy of the Once Upon a Time show debuting in Shanghai (you know, the place Bob Iger can't be shown at in a photo!) which is more of an introduction to the world of Disney type show.

New daytime parade will also be debuting only five years after the last (they clearly don't know that parades are supposed to go on forever as they do in FL!)

There has been a delay in announcing next attraction (after Iron Man) for HKDL, and it may have something to do with larger long term plans. Developing ...

Bob Iger's biggest fan in the Redstone family, Gary Snyder, (he of the censored Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China HuffPo piece) was spotted out at Lantau Island's Disney outpost multiple times in the last week according to a top source. Once he was seen with two Chinese businessmen (not dressed for a theme park ... i.e. Party types) and another Westerner walking and ''engrossed in serious conversation'' from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland and, apparently, again on Easter Sunday drinking at Disney's Hollywood Hotel.

And speaking of drinking at HKDL ...

I must have missed it, but apparently there is no real bar at the HKDL Hotel. I wasn't aware of it because of the lounge like area next to the lobby, which I had assumed was a bar. It's not, it was formally used as a Tea Room. And the small bar in the Crystal Lotus is used for show only according to a top CM friend/source (who has no idea why this is the case!) Of course, Walt's Cafe is apparently a hidden in plain sight gem, which I believe @WDWFigment has pigged out on non In-N-Out burger food. (BTW, very glad to see you finally made it to Knott's. It really is a fun quality piece of California history that had bottomed out about 5-6 years ago and has rediscovered its heritage ... amazing how people respond to that!)

No, the Chinese all know Disney characters. That's why ever since I started going, the CMs are constantly giving out kewl stickers (I am sure 33-year-old fanbois buy them on eBay!) of usually 15-20 characters with their names prominently displayed. That isn't because Disney is as well known as Bob Iger wants you to believe. I'm sure.

There are plans to replace the tired Disney in the Stars nightly pyro and projection show on Lantau and the replacement will likely be more projection based due to pyro limits that I don't quite understand.

NON-China Spirited Musings (Food not included here, either):

So, the tiger tale was a totally bizarre make up deal with about 10% truth and the rest made up? Hmm ... sounds like a few Disney online personalities that I know (of).

Seems like O-Town parks have picked up a bit (I have heard both MK and EPCOT and both UNI parks have been quite crowded the last two days). I wonder if they all have wicked Massachusetts accents!

Can you be an O-Town blogger/podcaster/Lifestyler and NOT be at the kick-off to DL's 60th next month? Nah, didn't think so.

I know there's been plenty of NGE talk (largely on the numbers side, which is a place I don't dwell much -- but have enjoyed reading), but you notice how NONE of it has yet made it to Anaheim and/or Paris where certain aspects were supposed to be in place by ... 2015.

Oh, back to the Bloggers. Again, Dr. Blondie (my good friend, Jen!) and the DPB 'team' is hosting a meet-up to show off some new productions on DCL ships (basically the new Tangled show on the Disney Magic, which will likely come to the park without a name in the not too distant future ... I say that because I said it was coming like two years ago or more now and it hasn't yet!) You look at the list and again, most of the folks are O-Town Lifestylers. Disney is refusing to give anyone a chance to get it by not saying you can only attend one of these events a year or every six months (and that includes as someone's plus one!)

I know I rip Disney (and UNI, a little less), but I'd like y'all to know that I generally have disgust for 97% of American corporations based upon the way they treat their consumers and workers. Disney just used to be better. They used to actually care. They are no different than the others now, except they still revel in this PR lie that they are something special.

Love that monorail thread here. They have been ghetto for years now. They simply are not maintained and are filthy all the time and usually have barely functioning AC when I'm riding what once was The Highway in the Sky. I'd join that thread, but I just can't deal with apologists. Things are either acceptable or they aren't. And you don't make excuses for a multi-billion dollar corporation that produces record profits every quarter and built a reputation for the opposite of how they maintain things today. There is no good excuse and explanations don't count either, because people spend ridiculous sums of money for quality. Disney transport is anything but.

So, are the UNI fanbois hating on me because I've pointed out what hypocrites they are for not ripping Gringotts as much as they rip EE when they both destroy the climax by having non-functioning effects?
hang on.. why a carpload of people who were or are executives.. (who were from Disney or from Disney competitors) are happily cruising in Disneyland Shangai, yet bob and their crew havent?

I almost feel like the chinese are mocking Iger big time.
And he just has to keep face to prevent any embarrassment.

Cesar R M

You say that as if you have any control of that! The only control you have is to move out of the country. Costs continue to rise for everyday living so if you no longer want to pay it... you have to move. Disney not only is different, it is vastly different and I am not going to waste my time explaining it. If you cannot see it yourself, nothing I can say will alter that. What one person feels is overpriced another might find worth it. Each can make the choice to pay it or stay away. We don't control everything, especially private enterprise with anything except our wallets.
You mean how people keep moving from state to state to have better financial stability/payments/lower taxes?

ThemeParkTraveller

Regarding the castle... it's going to have fully carven stone swans above its windows:
1414795385_64730_849302925102951_4824942844312186462_n.jpg

It may not be beyond criticism, but I don't think 'bland' will be one of its faults.

Reminds me of Versailles.

PalaceOfVersailles-1024x768.jpg

Phil12

hang on.. why a carpload of people who were or are executives.. (who were from Disney or from Disney competitors) are happily cruising in Disneyland Shangai, yet bob and their crew havent?

Or, it could be that Iger has the right guanxi.

DDLand

Which one of their competitors have visited? I know M. Eisner was on site which prompted your former Disney executive comment. I'm just not sure I've seen anyone mention a Universal or Dreamworks guy on the ground.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom