A Spirited Perfect Ten

truecoat

Spirited Weekend Quickees:

Might as well start with the item that will have the fanbois all hyperventilating since I've had another solid source confirm, but yes, finally, Disney is planning on announcing Star Wars plans for, at least, the USA parks at D23 in August. Most of the final decisions should be made by late spring/ early summer.

More crates?

Attachments

• crate.jpg
    crate.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 288

PhotoDave219

Burke was being groomed by Eisner to be his successor. Bob did the end around and schmoozed the BoD. It was this BoD that passed on Burke causing him to leave. They will not get him back.

Burke as CEO and Ouimett as head of P&R would be a dream team. It's a shame both will refuse any offer from The Mouse House.

Plus that entire bit when you got suckered into putting a bid on Disney when Eisner was under fire…

For those who want around for it, the entire Comcast bid on Disney was a set up. It was intentionally and rather artfully done by ME so he would have an excuse to remain with the company while he was fighting Roy Disney.

Smiddimizer

If Disney and More is anything to believe (it is), Disney's next gate may likely be in Hong Kong...

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.ca/2015/02/hong-kong-disneyland-phase-2-should.html

Littaye added further details on his Facebook page (where he seems to be relocating)...

Disney and More said:
I’ve got more infos "from the horse's mouth" about Hong Kong Disneyland Phase 2 , and it seems that a 2020 date for the opening of the second park may be a little bit too ideal.

At this moment the idea of opening the second park was only suggested by the HK Tourism Commission, which just means that the Hong Kong government is asking WDC to work on a new park project and that we are only at the very very beginning of it, even if WDI may have already some Park 2 concepts on their shelves.

But there are more procedures to go through:
1) WDC will throw a few options on the 2nd park theme and let the representatives of Commerce and Economic Development Bureau to choose.
2) Commerce and Economic Development Bureau will then discuss and present the options with Hong Kong governor and confirm the theme.
3) WDC will improve the chosen theme and fitting of the attractions into the plan, while they will continuously report and discuss with the government and come up with a budgeting plan
4) Since Hong Kong government is the resort's shareholder, if they need to spend any public funds on a project, they need to go through HK Legislative Council for approval.

You may remember it took almost 2 years to approve the financial arrangements of building Toy Story Land, Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Point in 2009. Now we are talking about a new park, Downtown and hotels. The procedures will be more harsh and complicated. The current situation is somehow a step one and single-sided announcement from the government representative. It’s impossible to forecast the theme and details of the new park as the final decision will be made by Hong Kong government, so in two words cool down on this HKDL 2nd park and be patient - as always!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Burke won't happen unless he quits next year. Most big execs have a two year non compete clause in their contracts so you can find some other dream CEO.
Actually he signed a 4 year contract extension last year that runs through August of 2018...just 2 months after Iger steps down. I'm sure Bobby can be convinced to stick around a few extra months.

I don't really think anyone was calling him a dream CEO. He's just a guy a lot of us are familiar with since he spent time with Disney. It's just a discussion and nothing more than wild speculation at this point. I'm pretty sure we're in the right place for wild speculation:)

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Soup and Salad Sandra says hotel occupancy is reaching a plateau at WDW.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-cfb-tourism-02092015-20150209-story.html
Iger and Rasulo said as much in the last earnings call, and it's not unique to WDW. Once you get up around 90%, there's not much more you can do. There's too much coordinating that needs to happen when you have various people checking out on all different days of the week. If everyone was staying Saturday to Saturday it would be another story, but to get to "full" occupancy, you'd need every family checking in on Thursday to match up with another family checking out on a Thursday. That match will never sync up perfectly. On the earnings call, they mentioned that the 90% range is when you start looking to increase capacity.

From the Q&A:

Q: Okay. And let me move to Jay -- thanks, Bob. Jay, you said occupancy in the hotels in Disney parks and resorts were up to 89%. Going back to your history of running Parks and Resorts, once you get to 89%, can you talk about what types of pricing leverage do you see historically? Because I think that's probably the best number we've seen pre-recession or post-recession.

A (Jay Rasulo): You know, Michael, I think hoteliers in general will tell you that to try to fill a hotel beyond 89%, 90%, 91% is extremely difficult because to go beyond that, it takes too many matchups of people who are staying three nights, checking out; replaced by five nights; replaced -- in rapid succession. It becomes quite difficult.

So I think that you are right -- that when you see occupancy in that kind of range, you are getting close to pretty much a full house. And those were historically the numbers at which we started to think about expanding capacity. Of course, relative to the Orlando market, there are still many, many more hotel rooms off-property than there are on-property. And I'm sure they are not experiencing rates of occupancy anything like that.

http://cdn.media.ir.thewaltdisneycompany.com/2015/q1/q1-fy15-earnings-transcript.pdf

Cesar R M

Iger and Rasulo said as much in the last earnings call, and it's not unique to WDW. Once you get up around 90%, there's not much more you can do. There's too much coordinating that needs to happen when you have various people checking out on all different days of the week. If everyone was staying Saturday to Saturday it would be another story, but to get to "full" occupancy, you'd need every family checking in on Thursday to match up with another family checking out on a Thursday. That match will never sync up perfectly. On the earnings call, they mentioned that the 90% range is when you start looking to increase capacity.
Wonder if Iger will maintain the same excuse at WDW. (the one where he claimed that WDW will not grow anymore, and reached maturity)

seascape

As I have previously posted, any hotel company would die for 80% plus occupancy. Further, once it’s near 90 its time to start building more rooms. Look back and you will see I previously posted Disney should start planning more hotel rooms. The time is now here. They can't wait much longer. Build 5,000 more moderate and value hotels over the next few years. That along with the Flamingo Crossing hotels will take care of the majority of rooms. However, they also need to build a big new DVC resorts at River Country. That would take care of the deluxe rooms. Then as Pof4 has said and so have many others it's time to start building more capacity in the 4 existing parks and plan on the 5th. This is needed or the is no more room for growth. Disney needs to plan capacity for 75,000,000 in attendance in 2021. 7% increase in attendance for the quarter and 3% more in future reservations shows they need more capacity.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
As I have previously posted, any hotel company would die for 80% plus occupancy. Further, once it’s near 90 its time to start building more rooms. Look back and you will see I previously posted Disney should start planning more hotel rooms. The time is now here. They can't wait much longer. Build 5,000 more moderate and value hotels over the next few years. That along with the Flamingo Crossing hotels will take care of the majority of rooms. However, they also need to build a big new DVC resorts at River Country. That would take care of the deluxe rooms. Then as Pof4 has said and so have many others it's time to start building more capacity in the 4 existing parks and plan on the 5th. This is needed or the is no more room for growth. Disney needs to plan capacity for 75,000,000 in attendance in 2021. 7% increase in attendance for the quarter and 3% more in future reservations shows they need more capacity.
Of course when the next recession hits after the current administration leaves office there won't be as big a need. Major park expansion and resort additions are likely tens of years away.

DC0703

WDW really could use another moderate resort. They are the sweet spot for many guests - the deluxe are priced too high (well, all WDW resorts are priced too high, but the deluxes are unattainable for many) and the values have small rooms and are too heavily aimed at kids with the theming. The moderates are a good mix of relaxed theming and value (once again, in terms of on-site Disney), and are usually packed. Given that it has been almost 20 years since Coronado Springs opened, I'd love to see a new moderate pop up.

spacemt354

Chili's
WDW really could use another moderate resort. They are the sweet spot for many guests - the deluxe are priced too high (well, all WDW resorts are priced too high, but the deluxes are unattainable for many) and the values have small rooms and are too heavily aimed at kids with the theming. The moderates are a good mix of relaxed theming and value (once again, in terms of on-site Disney), and are usually packed. Given that it has been almost 20 years since Coronado Springs opened, I'd love to see a new moderate pop up.
I would too, it's just that you can find better hotels for cheaper prices than Disney Moderate resorts. We have stayed at both Coronado Springs and Port Orleans French Quarter and we didn't feel they were worth it for the price paid.

While they do feel like Disney resorts from all the bright colors and quirky architecture, it didn't change the fact that they are basically drive in motels with better views. They really don't feel like middle ground resorts.

We felt they were value resorts with moderate resort prices. If they build another moderate, I wish they would actually have it be a moderate resort.

doctornick

How do the prices for SSR and OKW compare to the moderates? I know that there's typically only a small number of DVC rooms that get are available for cash bookings at any time, but I gut feeling is that those two DVCs when available provide some additional options for people looking in the moderate range (even though they are officially "deluxe" resorts)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom