A Spirited Perfect Ten

CaptainAmerica

Half of it was wrong so that could be it
What did I say that was incorrect?

2464633-avengers001.jpg

That's Ant-Man (Hank Pym) on the cover of Avengers #1. Scott Lang premiered in Avengers #181.

fosse76

So you don't have evidence of this allegedly misappropriated $800M,
You know for a fact no one does. It is based on statements by Iger and the fact that there are no visible signs of new attractions that were not already previously announced. And while anyone can contact the SEC about it, that alone would not be sufficient evidence, at least at this point in time, for the SEC to investigate.

you don't have evidence that the WDC is giving promotional kickbacks to a reporter to cover this up, so is what you "know for a fact" just of the "Iger is an idiot" variety?
Even if he did, it is an ethical violation, not necessarily a crime. Either way, the SEC would have no jurisdiction over that.

But every ounce of WDW1974's behavior on these boards the past few months has screamed the opposite of the narrative that "the man is just trying to keep him down". If this isn't just full of hot air, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
Or maybe he is contacting people who can do something about it, but don't, and this is the only outlet for that information. How many people with complaints about a company don't get results until the media picks it up (or it goes viral on social media)? WDW1974 has raised pertinent issues, just because you don't seem to like the message doesn't at all make it irrelevant or a witch hunt.

doctornick

Why Ant-Man? Hank Pym was an Avenger from day one of the Avengers and Scott Lang was an Avenger from day one of Scott Lang.

Yeah, I was gonna say that. Ant Man is definitely not available for WDW since he's clearly in the family of current Uni characters. Inhumans should be possible, Dr. Strange and Daredevil might be possible.

seascape

WDW1974 is wonderful when it come to talking about new rides and attractions. I have faith in most of his breaking news. However it is also clear he has an addenda against Disney. Last year it was child abuse and this year its about China. I appreciate his posts on the former and think the latter should be left till next year when Shanghai opens and we know if its a success or failure. Give him credit for what he does right and understand he has his personal views and does have the right to post them too.

doctornick

But, but...what about Guardians of the Galaxy! :cautious:

Star Wars needs a better presence...and not in the Disney traditional meet and greet kind of way either. I'm not sure parading character look-alikes on stage for the fireworks is healthy for the brand. It's everything Star Wars fans are afraid Disney would and will do....

We need a Star Wars Land at WDW, yesterday. Please. :(

I commented on this in another thread, but I actually think it makes sense to build "other stuff" (presumably Pixar) at DHS first before a large Star Wars addition. Star Wars is going to have significant impact on increasing attendance and DHS at this point can't really handle a lot of folks. Much like Tranformers being build before Diagon, DHS should make some additions before the big splash.

The issue is that it should be something like a significant Pixar expansion coming in 2016 and Star Wars in 2018. But we aren't getting that kind of timeframe.

PhotoDave219

I commented on this in another thread, but I actually think it makes sense to build "other stuff" (presumably Pixar) at DHS first before a large Star Wars addition. Star Wars is going to have significant impact on increasing attendance and DHS at this point can't really handle a lot of folks. Much like Tranformers being build before Diagon, DHS should make some additions before the big splash.

The issue is that it should be something like a significant Pixar expansion coming in 2016 and Star Wars in 2018. But we aren't getting that kind of timeframe.

I agree. You start Pixar first and redevelop that part of the park and have it open first.

Mike S

And Pixar should be more than just TSPL. It deserves more.

PhotoDave219

A few comments I've been meaning to add to the $800 million dollar "scandal", but the thread took way too long to catch up on.

@WDW1974 (who already came around to touch on this and he can correct me if I’m wrong), never seriously suggested the money was for a graft. That was by and large speculated by other posters here.

I also don't think @WDW1974 has ever suggested that Shanghai Disneyland will be a failure, again that is the opinion of other posters being lobbed onto him. The actual park itself seems well designed, has a historically quite strong line up of opening day attractions and a population who will arrive in droves. Disney botching the entry, having a messy landing, being culturally insensitive are all quite different than the park failing financially. He has never suggested the latter.

One does not have to be an insider to know that delaying a park by 6 months costs money. Lots of money. The money isn’t missing so much as being spent on exactly the thing they promised, aggressively promised, it was not being spent on.

Corporations use marketing speech all the time to manipulate facts, but the wording used in their 2014 press releases along with the money allocation were blunt and direct. That’s the only problem. I expected an extra 800 million worth of attractions (that’s along the order of Hong Kong’s three mini-land expansion), and we know that cannot possibly be reality.

Even with cost over runs, shoddy construction, delays etc. I find it odd there wasn’t just an admission. We are so used to hearing about value engineering and slashing budgets. I think people here would have been at least luke-warm to the idea that they were increasing the budget for once to fulfill their original vision. Instead, much like Next Gen, the money is just gobbled up.

118124d1342645990-2016-neuheit-disneyland-shanghai-neuer-park-shanghai-china-db_2012_0718_sdl_map11.jpg

Now in related news, and the only reason there was a smidgen of truth to the whole matter is Toy Story Playland now appears to be under construction. The square orange building in TSPL in the original plans has begun construction. Unfortunately, Toy Story is the only phase two thing that seems to have been accelerated. Keep in mind that as of 2014, TSPL would not have been ready for a 2015 opening day as it would betray HK’s 5 year Asia exclusivity on the land. Spring 2016 however is fair game…

If we accept some of the performance venues have also been added, as @RandySavage speculated, we at least see *some* of the 800 million going to attractions. There will be new attractions (although not great ones). Lets be honest though, the rest is going towards the delayed opening and overruns.

Nice find. Do you have a higher resolution version?

Omnispace

WDW1974 is wonderful when it come to talking about new rides and attractions. I have faith in most of his breaking news. However it is also clear he has an addenda against Disney. Last year it was child abuse and this year its about China. I appreciate his posts on the former and think the latter should be left till next year when Shanghai opens and we know if its a success or failure. Give him credit for what he does right and understand he has his personal views and does have the right to post them too.

My impression is not that WDW1974 has an agenda against Disney, but an agenda against where the current top executives are taking the company -- away from the inspired and creative company that several of us here grew up with, and towards a mass-marketed BRAND that is pitched to the public as a commodity. The WSJ article speaks to that new ideal almost exclusively.

PhotoDave219

My impression is not that WDW1974 has an agenda against Disney, but an agenda against where the current top executives are taking the company -- away from the inspired and creative company that several of us here grew up with, and towards a mass-marketed BRAND that is pitched to the public as a commodity. The WSJ article speaks to that new ideal almost exclusively.

I think there are a lot of us who feel that way.... especially if you remember the entire Save Disney campaign from 2003-2004.

Yensid1974

So, you did not tell him about hundreds of message board postings where you have attacked "The Weatherman" with the most derogatory tone possible over every single thing you possibly could think of, and you wouldn't reveal your sources (except for one) to him any more than you have here anonymously to us?

That explains a lot.

This post says more about you than it does about WDW1974.

Phil12

Or maybe he is contacting people who can do something about it, but don't, and this is the only outlet for that information. How many people with complaints about a company don't get results until the media picks it up (or it goes viral on social media)? WDW1974 has raised pertinent issues, just because you don't seem to like the message doesn't at all make it irrelevant or a witch hunt.
Well, I think he needs to start locally. For example let's get Roger Rabbit's silhouette in Eddie Valiant's window fixed. All the top level Disney executives read these posts so I'm sure it will be taken care of quickly!

Yensid1974

lord.. 200 points in the last 5hrs.. and really nothing was said. That was after skipping 10 pages or so this afternoon. What a waste..

Here's what I did while you all were stroking...

Toy pr0n... cabinet upgrade
IMG_2232.jpg

Added value today.. what did you do? :)
I could use some cabinets like that. Where did you acquire them?

RSoxNo1

I've been correct about ''several'' things? What a back-handed compliment. Seriously, I break more real news here than anyone who covers Disney in the 'real media' ... not that it matters beyond my huge ego. But it still remains true.

It's all a pee-pee measuring contest. ... It's gotten very old. I hope y'all have fun when I finally get smart and go take another break ...
If you want concrete evident @spacemt354, I track rumors on my site. Currently we have 16 active "Confirmed" rumors. The breakdown of the origin of these rumors is as follows:
  • Undetermined: 1
  • WDWMagic: 2
  • DisneyAtWork.com: 1
  • articos/Sped424: 1
  • Orlando Sentinel: 1
  • Disney: 6
  • Tim_4: 1
  • Jim Hill: 1
  • WDW1974: 1
  • ParkRumors.com: 1
Clearly it looks like Spirit is slacking off.

Funmeister

If you want concrete evident @spacemt354, I track rumors on my site. Currently we have 16 active "Confirmed" rumors. The breakdown of the origin of these rumors is as follows:
  • Undetermined: 1
  • WDWMagic: 2
  • DisneyAtWork.com: 1
  • articos/Sped424: 1
  • Orlando Sentinel: 1
  • Disney: 6
  • Tim_4: 1
  • Jim Hill: 1
  • WDW1974: 1
  • ParkRumors.com: 1
Clearly it looks like Spirit is slacking off.

Ha! Remember Timmy_4? As they say in the South..."Bless his heart"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom