A Spirited Perfect Ten

AEfx

My hunch is the Disney Parks ephemera was an American thing. And now it's just a WDW thing, which tells me TDO should create WDW specific bags, cups, popcorn boxes, napkins, etc. ASAP.

It's no wonder they don't care, they are too busy going on world-class attractions that generally are superior versions to ours (even DLP).

If they gave us a better quality experience we'd care less about how we wipe our mouths or what cup our drink is served in.

Cesar R M

If you two want to go purchase shares for 110/share be my guest. If you have any ROI a year and half from now I will be extremely impressed.
wouldnt it just be easier to buy stock AFTER the split?

Doesn't Disney split always when they reach a certain value?

articos

I can't speak for Paris or Hong Kong recently, but I know that Tokyo isn't using Disney Parks bags or paper goods currently. Nor have they ever.

My hunch is the Disney Parks ephemera was an American thing. And now it's just a WDW thing, which tells me TDO should create WDW specific bags, cups, popcorn boxes, napkins, etc. ASAP.
There are people within P&R and Merch who have been fighting to move away from DisneyParks and back to location specific branding.

BrianLo

Dare I say it, it's almost Tokyo-esque.

Having now had my first helping of the Disneyland 60th and having experienced the Tokyo 30th, it's actually superior to Tokyo. They've done a stellar job.

Dare I say it, the sum of the new offerings is better than just a new attraction. I get the impression someone higher up freaked out that there wasn't a new attraction on board for the 60th, and instead green-lit every other 4-12 month project that came across their desk in a panic.

BrianLo

A few quick DL 60th impressions...

-The new Harold(s) are awesome. Funny how much a few AA's can elevate an attraction. Not just because they are 'new'. Matterhorn was new to me as of 2013 and I felt like it was quite a mediocre attraction. It also feels like a giant middle finger to the Disco Yeti.
-Paint the Night is fantastic, I know the minor Hong Kong complaint was length, but this feels about right, with room to add a movie tie-in promotional float down the line. A show stop would have also played horribly in a North American audience, so it seems like good changes all around. They also don't seem to really be promoting the "paint" technology, although the folks seemed like the only people with brushes, and that earned them some extra attention from the parade characters.
-The projected faces work a lot better in real life - King Triton primarily in Paint the Night and the Cars characters. Except for oddly McQueen, it seemed off.
-I don't know where I saw it, but @Mike S was talking about sight-lines and immersion of RSR vs. Diagon. All that prompted was a thought that I am very glad Toon Town seems to be the front runner for Star Wars. It's the only place in DL where you can really pull that off by virtue of being outside the train berm. I really wish that didn't come at the cost of again shoving tomorrowland on the back burner. It needs a wrecking ball for starters...

Ariel1986

Now that Disneyland has celebration-specific stuff, do they use DisneyParks bags at any of the international resorts? Or are we "saving money" by printing generic bags specifically for WDW? :confused:

Nope DLP has there own DLP specific bags. All their food & drink containers were also different designs to the American parks- I can't quite recall (or see on my pics) if they actually said DLP though. But they definitely weren't the same as the Disney Parks design.

AEfx

There are people within P&R and Merch who have been fighting to move away from DisneyParks and back to location specific branding.

That's good to hear. I do appreciate it even if I want them to fry bigger fish, too.

And I can't figure they save THAT much money by doing Disney Parks. Economies of scale aside, they must order what - napkins by the millions? There is a point where I can't imagine it would appreciably matter if they had multiple designs, even if it was just coast specific (WDW/Disneyland) and not specific by park.

Prog

-The new Harold(s) are awesome. Funny how much a few AA's can elevate an attraction. Not just because they are 'new'. Matterhorn was new to me as of 2013 and I felt like it was quite a mediocre attraction. It also feels like a giant middle finger to the Disco Yeti.
-Paint the Night is fantastic, I know the minor Hong Kong complaint was length, but this feels about right, with room to add a movie tie-in promotional float down the line. A show stop would have also played horribly in a North American audience, so it seems like good changes all around. They also don't seem to really be promoting the "paint" technology, although the folks seemed like the only people with brushes, and that earned them some extra attention from the parade characters.
-The projected faces work a lot better in real life - King Triton primarily in Paint the Night and the Cars characters. Except for oddly McQueen, it seemed off.
-I don't know where I saw it, but @Mike S was talking about sight-lines and immersion of RSR vs. Diagon. All that prompted was a thought that I am very glad Toon Town seems to be the front runner for Star Wars. It's the only place in DL where you can really pull that off by virtue of being outside the train berm. I really wish that didn't come at the cost of again shoving tomorrowland on the back burner. It needs a wrecking ball for starters...
Looking forward to the prospect of seeing DLR for myself in summer 2016.

CDavid

That's good to hear. I do appreciate it even if I want them to fry bigger fish, too.

And I can't figure they save THAT much money by doing Disney Parks. Economies of scale aside, they must order what - napkins by the millions? There is a point where I can't imagine it would appreciably matter if they had multiple designs, even if it was just coast specific (WDW/Disneyland) and not specific by park.

Or even one design of printed napkin, as opposed to the plain brown napkins they're currently using...

TP2000

Having now had my first helping of the Disneyland 60th and having experienced the Tokyo 30th, it's actually superior to Tokyo. They've done a stellar job.

Dare I say it, the sum of the new offerings is better than just a new attraction. I get the impression someone higher up freaked out that there wasn't a new attraction on board for the 60th, and instead green-lit every other 4-12 month project that came across their desk in a panic.

Ha! You might be right, and that would explain why Disneyland's 60th celebration seems to have everything and all over the property.

There's more stuff coming too; the redone Peter Pan's Flight next month, whatever the heck is going on inside Innoventions, the rumored plusses to the other Fantasyland dark rides, the remade Luigi's C Ticket ride in Cars Land this winter, etc.

But the overall look and feel to the resort-wide décor package for the 60th is super impressive. For those that remember the excellent 50th celebration, the 60th actually seems like a solid step up.

And it all must have cost a fortune. I'd love to see the bill for all the decorations and additions, wouldn't you?

Last edited:

TP2000

Good to hear! And obviously they already won that battle in Anaheim.

Here's the 60th design that is now on all the cups and boxes and disposable paper ephemera at Disneyland.

Aside from the 60th logo at the classic Disneyland font, the Attractions images on the cup are all of Anaheim-specific attractions like the Matterhorn, Mickey's Fun Wheel, Sailing Ship Columbia, etc. There's nothing generic or "Disney Parks" about the Diamond Celebration, and that would seem to bode well for WDW's future too.

diamond-celebration-disneyland-drink-cup1-354x625.jpg

Last edited:

AEfx

Looking forward to the prospect of seeing DLR for myself in summer 2016.

It's awesome. You will feel right at home at the same time you will be completely weirded out by the differences LOL. Like, you can walk out of the turnstyles and go across the street to Denny's. (I actually highly recommend that Denny's, I've rarely seen any chain, much less Denny's, have such a clean, efficient operation.)

Their Fantasyland (especially when ours was only tin roofs and concrete) was a revelation. Like, the outside of the rides are themed. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is in...Mr. Toad's Hall. You walk around the corner, and Snow White is in what looks like a Castle dungeon. Etc. And the rides, particularly the Fantasyland ones, are just a notch above ours - like the fiber optics in Peter Pan's Flight (what a world of difference they make - you'd think that since you can make a fiber optic ceiling in your kids room for a couple hundred bucks in an afternoon, WDW would have done it long ago - such a simple but awesome effect).

There is a lot more to it, but I really kicked myself for not starting to go sooner. You'll have a great time.

aladdin2007

It's awesome. You will feel right at home at the same time you will be completely weirded out by the differences LOL. Like, you can walk out of the turnstyles and go across the street to Denny's. (I actually highly recommend that Denny's, I've rarely seen any chain, much less Denny's, have such a clean, efficient operation.)

Their Fantasyland (especially when ours was only tin roofs and concrete) was a revelation. Like, the outside of the rides are themed. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is in...Mr. Toad's Hall. You walk around the corner, and Snow White is in what looks like a Castle dungeon. Etc. And the rides, particularly the Fantasyland ones, are just a notch above ours - like the fiber optics in Peter Pan's Flight (what a world of difference they make - you'd think that since you can make a fiber optic ceiling in your kids room for a couple hundred bucks in an afternoon, WDW would have done it long ago - such a simple but awesome effect).

There is a lot more to it, but I really kicked myself for not starting to go sooner. You'll have a great time.

Yet instead we got a new interactive queue while the ride itself is in stale old condition, how much did they spend on that? So we cant have updated rides, only pretty queue's. Yet Disneyland is getting another major overhaul to their ride that is going to make this one look like dirt.

Mike S

Well that's good news. I wonder if it would just switch to "Walt Disney World" or if it would actually be park specific. Let's wait and see.

I never thought of it before but that's a great reason for Star Wars to go to Toontown: the sight lines!!! I will miss Toontown though, and Roger.....

Last edited:

UpAllNight

Three weeks?!?! In O-Town??!?!

You wouldn't be from the UK would you?

Haha yes we are. So far done Magic Kingdom - got on most things other than Pan, Jungle Cruise....phillarmagic was the suprise of the day, it was a great little show. It was just too busy on the night for the fireworks.

Seaworld - Really enjoyable day. Manta is just one of the best rollercoasters Ive been on. Really beautiful park too with great landscaping. Shows were top notch.

Aquatica - Again really nice landscaping and Roas Rapids made the day memorable I could spend all day in them. We were going to pop over to seaworld for a few quick goes on the coasters but the weather put an end to that!

Islands of adventure - great park. Hulk was rough and was a done once thing for us. Not quite sure what I found most impressive....the wizarding world or the fact people were spending $47 on an 'interactive' bit of wood (that from what i could see didnt do much!). Not that I will complain if they continue to use the revenues to knock it out of the parks on the likes of spiderman! Minor complaint, once we were done with the 3 waterrides and the rest of the party had decided no more, it was lacking somewhat in things to do. We had got there early and beat a lot of the ques. Raptor Encounter was simple but great....its the little things that make a day memorable and the lady of our group papping herself was definately one of those!

Studios - Transformers takes Spiderman to the next level. Gringgots was good and we could appreciate the detail and technology but it didnt have the wow factor of Forbiddon Journey for us.

Such an exciting vibe across Universal in general. We were down for a third day there today but we're all absolutely knackered so we will do that later on and have a day just chilling- unless I can convince them to go back to Aquatica so I can get back on my rapids!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom