A Spirited Perfect Ten

articos

Yep. I agree. I have one 10 minutes away that gets a lot of business from me. Love their Happy Hour. When I used to live in 90210, I had one within walking distance at the Beverly Center (I believe that was the first one anywhere). It closed about three years ago.

The food and ambiance are a bit more upscale than CF, although not greatly.
First Grand Lux was Vegas at the Venetian. Bev Ctr was the 2nd or 3rd.

culturenthrills

Eh, not so sure that's "enabling" - it has always sounded like they realized what a mess it was story-wise and didn't want to be responsible.

If you read the Rinzler making-of books (incredible, I can't believe they let him write them they are so honest), you see that each script for the OT was worked out over many months in story sessions with multiple people and the end results were remarkably different from the first draft.

For the PT, Lucas literally locked himself into his office, came out with a draft, and said "ok this is what we are filming". Except for a few dialogue contributions from Carrie Fisher (some lipstick for the Hutt), that was really it. And that's why the films are so disjointed, because he wrote the scripts one at a time right before filming each one (even he admits he wasted too much time idling in TPM so he had to cram what really should have been in multiple films into ROTS).

When you really read the day-to-day history in the Rinzler books, it becomes very clear that while George Lucas had the vision, just about everything that was most successful in bringing that vision to life was due to the contributions of other people. There is a reason Marcia Lucas won an editing Oscar, Brian DePalma worked on the opening scroll and sat in on all the casting sessions, Kasdan formed the ESB script...he had the vision, but like a lot of geniuses, they need other folks to help them clarify and make sense of it for it to work.

That is why I am glad Kasdan is part of the brain trust overseeing the new films. He is a great screenwriter.

Nemo14

I'm rooting for the Dinosaurs.
Just stay away from the men's room...
jurassicparktoilet.jpg

articos

In the meantime, it would be really helpful if the CEO decision could be taken away from Iger and the BoD.

Maybe Laurenne Powell Jobs, George Lucas and some of the unhappy institutional investors can rock the boat.
It will stay with the Board, although I'm sure George and some of the institutions will have their say. But the Board is smarter than the average U.S. high school student. I'm not sure an internal candidate is a lock.

AEfx

Who would that decision making power be given to?

I don't think some people care - as long as it's not Darth Iger.

I do hope that whomever comes next is a more parks oriented person, now that the Dark Lord has shored up the finances of the rest of the company. Since he has pretty much ensured at least the next decade of profitability for the weaker divisions, perhaps they can focus on improving the parks experience in spite of appearing on paper that they are doing great.

AEfx

It will stay with the Board, although I'm sure George and some of the institutions will have their say. But the Board is smarter than the average U.S. high school student. I'm not sure an internal candidate is a lock.

George Lucas is way too busy with his new wife and baby and swimming around like Scrooge McDuck in his $4B...I don't really think he cares anymore.

AEfx

Whoa whoa whoa....

I haven't seen an Adam Sandler film since The Wedding Singer. Yet I just saw a trailer for something called "PIXELS". What. The. Heck. I was interested as soon as I saw Peter Dinklage in a mullet, but by the end when they get to Donkey Kong, I was absolutely SOLD.

Jurrasic World, you have a companion in being the only films I care about until December 18.

PhotoDave219

Who would that decision making power be given to?

That's an excellent question. You're going to need serious shareholders to bring in new management and you're not going to get 50.1% without CalPers, Steve Jobs' estates, Shamrock Holdings, among others. That is highly unlikley given the current stock price. You're not going to get members of the board of directors to go rogue here much in the way that Sid Gold & Roy E. Disney did.

That being said, I think they should split CEO/Chairman of the Board with President of the Company. I'd like to see more transparency in their dealings and I'd like to see less stock options given as compensation. All of that is highly unlikely as well.

That being said, my one share and one vote goes to supporting Kathleen Kennedy. Which doesnt mean spit.....

AEfx

That being said, my one share and one vote goes to supporting Kathleen Kennedy. Which doesnt mean spit.....

I want her where she is until Episode IX...LOL. But I do agree, she is a great mix of corporate and smart. Again, something they actually point out in the Vanity Fair article. ;)

I thought Iger was already only a couple years from leaving, anyway? I don't stalk the guy (I know, unusual in these parts LOL) but I thought he was out in like 2018?

PhotoDave219

I want her where she is until Episode IX...LOL. But I do agree, she is a great mix of corporate and smart. Again, something they actually point out in the Vanity Fair article. ;)

I thought Iger was already only a couple years from leaving, anyway? I don't stalk the guy (I know, unusual in these parts LOL) but I thought he was out in like 2018?

I'll read the article on December 19th ;)

PhotoDave219

That being said, I feel Disney needs a more creative executive. I feel they've become too corporate and too cutthroat with their management. I want someone who has a long-term vision for the company, not what happens in the next quarter.

lazyboy97o

Whoa whoa whoa....

I haven't seen an Adam Sandler film since The Wedding Singer. Yet I just saw a trailer for something called "PIXELS". What. The. Heck. I was interested as soon as I saw Peter Dinklage in a mullet, but by the end when they get to Donkey Kong, I was absolutely SOLD.

Jurrasic World, you have a companion in being the only films I care about until December 18.
I think that may make you the only person excited for Pixels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom