A Spirited Perfect Ten

FigmentJedi

I
Even Lucasfilm - George Lucas completely lost sight of what people loved about Star Wars. The power of the franchise still made the prequels financial successes, but they were not able to capture an entire generation as the first trilogy did. Lucas kept revising what Star Wars was all about and what people loved about it so much that he lost sight of its core.

Much of that core he didn't like as he got older - for example, the prequels as originally part of the story "back in the day" were about Obi-wan, not Anakin. When Lucas became a father, he felt he needed to "atone" for Darth Vader - and effectively neutered one of the great screen villains in the process. Suddenly, Star Wars was turned into the fall and redemption arc of Darth Vader which really no one ever asked for and certainly wasn't what made the first trilogy popular to begin with. It was no longer a series of "Heroes Journeys" (Obi-wan, then Luke, then the next generation) it was the rise and fall of a completely unsympathetic character no one ended up caring about.
And yet the generation that grew up on the prequels and were just fine with them are now growing up and starting to defend them and the Clone Wars has certainly redeemed the era in people's eyes by fixing George's clumsy characterization jobs.
Indeed, there's a growing resentment within parts of Star Wars fandom that JJ might be pandering to the "prequel whiners/OT Master Race" crowd a bit too much at the expense of the newer generations. Marvel's current comics have been pretty good at making the two eras blend together more, but a lot of the imagery we've seen so far is Abrams going "Guys, remember the Original Trilogy"
We need some balance brought to the force.

AEfx

And yet the generation that grew up on the prequels and were just fine with them are now growing up and starting to defend them and the Clone Wars has certainly redeemed the era in people's eyes by fixing George's clumsy characterization jobs.

I'm sure folks will complain if we get too much more deeply into the Lucas-problem (and he's out of it now so it's ancient history past describing how differently Disney is handling them), but I just want to clarify what I said.

The prequels didn't capture a generation like the first trilogy did. That doesn't mean that kids didn't grow up liking them, even becoming passionate about them, or that no one liked them (there are parts that are good IMO, it's just that overall it's a story I don't care about). But that they simply weren't as universally seen as an aspect of growing up in that generation as the OT.

When people look back at the 1980's, you really can't not mention Star Wars. For the 00's, that was more Harry Potter than anything else. Culturally, the prequels are much further down the list when you talk about that decade, and are mostly notable for the incredible publicity/corporate partnerships/merchandising push not the reaction to the films themselves by the greater public.

Disney knows that. They aren't going back to the OT-style because they think it's the most artistically valid - they are going after it because it was what resonated throughout the world and changed the film industry.

Mike S

Indeed, there's a growing resentment within parts of Star Wars fandom that JJ might be pandering to the "prequel whiners/OT Master Race" crowd a bit too much at the expense of the newer generations. Marvel's current comics have been pretty good at making the two eras blend together more, but a lot of the imagery we've seen so far is Abrams going "Guys, remember the Original Trilogy"
We need some balance brought to the force.
I grew up with the prequels and am perfectly happy with the direction of the sequels. Then again I also grew up with the original trilogy on video and still have them, non special edition ;)

Goofyernmost

Honestly, I didn't even know Disney Quest was closing. I did see people mention something NBA was coming, maybe on OU since NBA city might be leaving Uni. I never went there anyway. Would've been cool just once though when I was a kid.
That should be a pretty good clue as to why you haven't heard about it. Almost nobody cares. I never went to DQ and I have no reason to go to NBA. Net gain or loss = Zero!

The point has also been made that Universal, unlike Disney, doesn't have the amount of nostalgia to make a lot of people excited for a big anniversary celebration except in Hollywood where it's the 50th of the tram tour this year which is the reason for its recent additions and HHN with Jack being back for the 25th. Plus what you said about them opening big attractions almost every year anyway so why make a big deal out of an anniversary? To bring this back to Disney, I find it funny whenever someone says "wait for the 50th!!! They have to do something for that"!!! Yeah, that's 6 years off. How about now? If anything I'm surprised the parks aren't doing something for Back to the Future's 30th even if the ride isn't there anymore. One of the biggest franchises in Universal's arsenal outside of Jurassic Park.
Perhaps they will change the Harry Potter Castle into a birthday cake. That would be so cool!

Wouldnt anybody any company hired or 'purchased' generally be creative before being hired?
It seems to me that if Disney had hired people directly, without any IP attached, they would all have had to be previously creative. Where their paycheck comes from is of no consequence, but, since those creative people are now working for Disney they are no less creative so it is kind of impossible to separate the two and say that they are only creative because they worked for a different boss. It's totally irrelevant as they are now Disney creative. Because Disney bought the company they bought a creative base (IP). In order for that to be useful the creativity must continue, but, now as a Disney Company. It's folly to say that they are no longer creative, in fact with the addition of those companies their creative base (people) got even bigger. If you buy a used car is it still not yours? Does it become yours and theirs because someone else owned it before? Nope, it's all yours to do with as you please and you hold the title. It is now YOUR property! Think back to how many IP's that Walt used in his business. Did he write Snow White or was it someone else's creation that he altered to his taste? Did he create Mary Poppins? Don't think so, he just bought the rights and altered it to what he felt was needed. Chances are the same thing is happening to the IP's that are recently acquired.

PhotoDave219

I don't think I'm missing it. I just think folks blow it out of proportion as being important.

Who exactly are Disney's "own people"? That's such an arbitrary labeling -- it's not like people are born with some Disney tattoo that means that only they can be considered a pure part of the company. "Disney people" are folks who work for The Walt Disney Company.

Kevin Feige is a "Disney person". Kathleen Kennedy is a "Disney person". The fact that they became employed by the TWDC since their previous employee was brought out is just a footnote. If Iger had gone and hired Kevin Feige directly away from another company, would that have made a difference? Either way, you're spending money to bring in talented people.

I don't really care about the source of the creative talent or how there were acquired. The point to me is that Disney is indeed making quality creative products nowadays despite comments from detractors.

I'll also point out for the skeptics that WDFA -- arguably the heart and soul of the company -- has been doing great in recent years and has some cool sounding ideas being developed. So, to whatever extent one believes that the "Disney brand" needs new unique offerings, it is getting it there.

I want Kathleen Kennedy to be the next CEO and to clean up this corporate culture... but I'm probably wishing on a star.

PhotoDave219

I'm sure folks will complain if we get too much more deeply into the Lucas-problem (and he's out of it now so it's ancient history past describing how differently Disney is handling them), but I just want to clarify what I said.

The prequels didn't capture a generation like the first trilogy did. That doesn't mean that kids didn't grow up liking them, even becoming passionate about them, or that no one liked them (there are parts that are good IMO, it's just that overall it's a story I don't care about). But that they simply weren't as universally seen as an aspect of growing up in that generation as the OT.

When people look back at the 1980's, you really can't not mention Star Wars. For the 00's, that was more Harry Potter than anything else. Culturally, the prequels are much further down the list when you talk about that decade, and are mostly notable for the incredible publicity/corporate partnerships/merchandising push not the reaction to the films themselves by the greater public.

Disney knows that. They aren't going back to the OT-style because they think it's the most artistically valid - they are going after it because it was what resonated throughout the world and changed the film industry.

So My college roommate and I sat in a Movie Theatre in Merrifield, Va., as the closing credits for "The Phantom Menace" rolled. Our repeating thought? "George Lucas just ****ed us. Lucas ****ed us."

All of our hopes dashed by the inability for anyone to say "George, thats not a good idea."

They lacked the capacity to grab the viewers attention and travel to some place they hadn't been before. They didnt capture the imagination and make people want to be the characters.

You're right, the Harry Potter series grabbed a kids attention the same way the original Star Wars did.

My only fear is that Abrams & Company is trying to recapture lightning in a bottle.

Frankie The Beer

Apparently theyre celebrating it with mile long backups to the parking garage due to their credit card system being out at toll plazas.

Got a text from a family at UOR and apparently its not just the toll plazas but the credit card system is/was down resort wide including the parks. They tried to get a fast food meal and were told it was cash only, which is pretty embarrassing.

invader

So My college roommate and I sat in a Movie Theatre in Merrifield, Va., as the closing credits for "The Phantom Menace" rolled. Our repeating thought? "George Lucas just ****ed us. Lucas ****ed us."

All of our hopes dashed by the inability for anyone to say "George, thats not a good idea."

They lacked the capacity to grab the viewers attention and travel to some place they hadn't been before. They didnt capture the imagination and make people want to be the characters.

You're right, the Harry Potter series grabbed a kids attention the same way the original Star Wars did.

My only fear is that Abrams & Company is trying to recapture lightning in a bottle.
The two things that got me through Episode I were the unnecessary pod races and Natalie Portman. Apart from that, I think we all kind of knew where the prequels were headed, down a very very dark path. Mesa thinks and hopes the original trilogy sequels will be much better.

Mike S

Just bought my advance ticket for Jurassic World at what I've read is the best IMAX in the USA.
image.jpg

popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif

So excited :D Seeing it on the 16th so please no spoilers, thank you.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Spirit thread.

AEfx

And that is a perfectly rational fear to have.

I know you haven't been following it as closely because you want to remain Unsullied, and that's completely understandable - on the other hand, I'm the type that enjoys it even more knowing what is to be known (which remarkably is little at this point, shockingly given how close to release we now are). And looking at all that we know at this point, there would have to be some earth-shattering deception going on if it all really is a sham.

If you haven't read the Vanity Fair article, I really recommend it - there are zero spoilers. It just talks about everyone's attitude really. There is one anecdote where they are watching a shot from the film that features a really-real atmosphere puppet that pops into a scene.

Apparently everyone thinks it's ridiculously cool/funny at the same time. Some "perfectionist" (as the article calls the anonymous person) says, "you know, we could do X and X to make it more 'realistic' if we clean that up digitally" and Abrhams politely shuts him down. He even articulates why - because it would completely take the charm out of the moment, and take away from it's visceral authenticity.

That's the guy I want making Star Wars.

AEfx

Just bought my advance ticket for Jurassic World at what I've read is the best IMAX in the USA.

SPOILER ALERT!

People are gonna get eaten by dinosaurs! Hilarity will ensue! ;)

Haha just teasing you, it's really the only movie this summer I am excited to see, too.

andysol

View attachment 96020
popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif

Going out on a limb here...
Dinosaurs- who are thought to be contained- become free and reign terror on the unsuspecting tourists there.

AEfx

Reminder that George wanted people like Spielberg, Columbus and Zemeckis to handle the directing, but they all insisted he do it himself. Just as much people enabling him as much as it was people unwilling to argue with him.

Eh, not so sure that's "enabling" - it has always sounded like they realized what a mess it was story-wise and didn't want to be responsible.

If you read the Rinzler making-of books (incredible, I can't believe they let him write them they are so honest), you see that each script for the OT was worked out over many months in story sessions with multiple people and the end results were remarkably different from the first draft.

For the PT, Lucas literally locked himself into his office, came out with a draft, and said "ok this is what we are filming". Except for a few dialogue contributions from Carrie Fisher (some lipstick for the Hutt), that was really it. And that's why the films are so disjointed, because he wrote the scripts one at a time right before filming each one (even he admits he wasted too much time idling in TPM so he had to cram what really should have been in multiple films into ROTS).

When you really read the day-to-day history in the Rinzler books, it becomes very clear that while George Lucas had the vision, just about everything that was most successful in bringing that vision to life was due to the contributions of other people. There is a reason Marcia Lucas won an editing Oscar, Brian DePalma worked on the opening scroll and sat in on all the casting sessions, Kasdan formed the ESB script...he had the vision, but like a lot of geniuses, they need other folks to help them clarify and make sense of it for it to work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom