A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
I believe people once thought Cheesecake Factory was coming to Disney Springs. They'd do gangbuster business there.

Cheesecake Factory has already been there and now gone for years.

They ran the food location at DQ for about five years after opening. Yes, they even had cheesecake.

They opened one at Anaheim's Garden Walk across from DLR about 6-7 years ago and it does a huge business. Yes, you can walk to it from DLR in about 10-15 minutes.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Currenty in Orlando on a 3 week holiday. First visit in ages. Spent the first day (Weds) in the Magic Kingdom. Enjoyable day except for the end when we were sheperded around like sheep for wishes...completely ruined the end of the day. We were glad to go to the far less hectic (and absolutely gorgeous ) Seaworld the following day.

Three weeks?!?! In O-Town??!?!

You wouldn't be from the UK would you?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Gonna butt in and say a better fit for Disney Springs would be Cheesecake's sister restaurant, Grand Lux Cafe. Think cheesecake but nicer, and there's a more limited number of them, which would make it even more unique.

Yep. I agree. I have one 10 minutes away that gets a lot of business from me. Love their Happy Hour. When I used to live in 90210, I had one within walking distance at the Beverly Center (I believe that was the first one anywhere). It closed about three years ago.

The food and ambiance are a bit more upscale than CF, although not greatly.

EDIT: the first one was actually at The Venetian in Las Vegas because Shelly Adelson didn't want a normal CF in his palace (still one of my favorite places to stay on the Strip). BC was the second. I knew this, but my mind is a bit scrambled these days.

Last edited:

Longhairbear

Weekend Spirited Musings:

How come no one here seems to care (OK, I don't really care but it is news) that Disney Quest will be closing to make way for the NBA Experience (or whatever the hoops cafe is called)? I don't think the place has been relevant or worth a visit since about 2002, but it still was something. I guess this makes DRE completely dead as a business unit (no shock since they closed all ESPN Zones but the Anaheim location) ... and oh, how you don't know how much I yearned for having a B-Day party at the Club Disney in West Covina while having burgers across the street at In-N-Out.

Loved reading this piece of placed PR today: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/la-et-ct-disney-iger-20150607-story.html#page=1 ... you start a story with a conclusion (Bob Iger is great and can do no wrong) and then you simply back it up without offering other viewpoints. Totally balanced piece from the LA Times.

Anyone actually seeing San Andreas? I won't even though I find the Rock to be thoroughly entertaining (is it namedropping if I mention that I have known him too? he is far more interesting than George Kalogridis!)

A lot of friends are headed to DL for its actual 60th B-Day (when Bob Iger was supposed to be there originally) and was wondering about crowds. I don't think they have anything to worry about really. At least none of the O-Town Lifestylers will be there. They all were there in May and HAVE TO return for D23. Three trips in a little over three months? Not that group.

Can't wait for Marvel's Bus People and Pam to debut!!! They'll make billions, billions, I tell ya

I am now being told to expect ''at least'' two more ''attractions'' to close at the corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios before the holidays. Honestly, I have no idea what Georgie K and the management of WDW Co are thinking. Guess that the rubes will come and thank you Jesus for park-hoppers.

Can anyone answer me this with 100% certainty: can you get nuts on an ice cream sundae at the shop on MSUSA?

So, we have a second Triple Crown winner in my lifetime. And they said it would never happen.

Anyone who think that only Disney cuts quality/quantity and raises prices should try a Pei Wei like I did today for the first time since 2012 or 2013. This is standard American business practice because most of you allow it and, indeed, will defend it.

So, you can stay at the Waldorf Astoria at WDW this summer for $199 or get a $107 special rate at the All StYeah, that's a toughie. No MAGIC at the WA!
We went to Disney Quest when it first opened, didn't dislike it, but never went back.
My husband and I will be at DLR at the end of this month celebrate to my Diamond Jubilee, but no diamonds for me. Most of our neighbors are going too, some for the first time, like the 4 year twin girls from next door, and the crazy adults we party with.
As for big corporations back sliding and offering less quality, try out any fast food chain in Palm Springs. Yuck!
I love my Subway with freezer burn, forget McDonald's and Burger King. They should all be rebranded as Electrolux, Hoover, and Dyson.

Frankie The Beer

I sorta resent that. I started these threads after talking to MAGICal Steve to be a catch all for largely big picture industry stuff. That meant not a micro-focus on the show scenes and layout of SDMT or a 'what if Disney had built WRE?' but a focus on Disney and its competitors. The cheesesteak crap was started in another thread and was sorta a joke by others.

And while 'what if's are certainly welcome, getting deep into armchair stuff doesn't belong.

Iger, Shanghai, the Star Wars franchise, TDR, DL's 60th, DCL etc are all big picture subjects that tie into TWDC of 2015. And they absolutely are all deeply connected to WDW, some much more than others to be fair.

That's the topic and most certainly the sense of purpose.

This thread also produces some of the best one liners this side of a John Milius angry cop screenplay.

DVC91

And yes, the cheesesteak stuff was a joke. (Jim's Steaks, Fourth and South Streets, in the heart of the City Where Freedom & American Came From, Philadelphia).

Being a Philly native, I have to appreciate that you didn't name the swill that is Pat's or Geno's. Granted, I think you need to come back and try Steve's on the 7200 block of Bustleton Ave or Joe's (formerly C+hink's... Name changed recently for obvious reasons) on the 6000 block of Torresdale. Both will leave you satisfied, Steve's I think the most (and is my favorite), and you have the added bonus of not being around the Food and Wine Festival like crowd of drunks/lost shoppers on South street. I do also know about the other Jim's spot but Steve's and Joe's still take precedence

Mike S

I want to agree with you, I really do...because I do not think Universal is perfect. However...Universal treats every year like a milestone anniversary. They are building new permanent attractions constantly, what do they need with temporary unique entertainment? They don't need to massage the message with advertising campaigns and temporary merchandise, they are in their prime and don't need to use nostalgia to supplement what's going on (or the lack of things going on) in their parks.
The point has also been made that Universal, unlike Disney, doesn't have the amount of nostalgia to make a lot of people excited for a big anniversary celebration except in Hollywood where it's the 50th of the tram tour this year which is the reason for its recent additions and HHN with Jack being back for the 25th. Plus what you said about them opening big attractions almost every year anyway so why make a big deal out of an anniversary? To bring this back to Disney, I find it funny whenever someone says "wait for the 50th!!! They have to do something for that"!!! Yeah, that's 6 years off. How about now? If anything I'm surprised the parks aren't doing something for Back to the Future's 30th even if the ride isn't there anymore. One of the biggest franchises in Universal's arsenal outside of Jurassic Park.

Last edited:

cdd89

Three weeks?!?! In O-Town??!?!

You wouldn't be from the UK would you?

Well that's one way to make the flights seem shorter. "It's 14 hours of flying, but that's a mere 40 minutes a day!"

Coming from the UK I've no idea what people (including people I know) do for 3 weeks in Orlando. My guess is quite a lot of nothing (nothing wrong with that!), but its such a paradigm shift from how I experience it that it's hard to comprehend. I'd personally prefer spending some of that time exploring nearby cities (and no, I don't consider Orlando a city worth exploring in its own right), but I get the impression that the cross section between people who enjoy theme parks and people who enjoy travelling is very small (I did manage to persuade someone at work spending a fortnight in Japan to devote half a day to DisneySea though...)

Ariel1986

Well that's one way to make the flights seem shorter. "It's 14 hours of flying, but that's a mere 40 minutes a day!"

Coming from the UK I've no idea what people (including people I know) do for 3 weeks in Orlando. My guess is quite a lot of nothing (nothing wrong with that!), but its such a paradigm shift from how I experience it that it's hard to comprehend. I'd personally prefer spending some of that time exploring nearby cities (and no, I don't consider Orlando a city worth exploring in its own right), but I get the impression that the cross section between people who enjoy theme parks and people who enjoy travelling is very small (I did manage to persuade someone at work spending a fortnight in Japan to devote half a day to DisneySea though...)

Well you can count me in that small crossover... I'm from the UK and always spend 2 weeks (sometimes 3 weeks) when coming to Orlando (Disney/Universal/Pool Days/Shopping Days/Beach days... filling up 3 weeks and making a ratio of theme park/relaxing times isn't that difficult!). We love America as well as Florida, so like to make the most of it when we're there with a longer trip. I don't see why it's that crazy. Some people can spend 2-3 weeks just at the beach.
However, I also LOVE travelling and want to see as much as I can. I like to try and take weekend trips to cities in Europe to see as much as possible, as it's not that far (and you can do it fairly cheaply if you research a bit...), as well as seeing as much of America as possible. In the past 18 months we did a California fly-drive holiday with several cities (and yes, Disneyland!) as well as a different holiday going to New York and Canada over Christmas. I hope to get further across the globe soon too, to Asia.
And no, I'm not rich, travelling is just mine and my other half's priority currently and we budget like crazy in between times to do as much as we can.

Progress.City

sarcastic-quotes.gif
But arguing with smart people with stupid jokes is more fun!

Funmeister

It gets said a lot, but I'm not really convinced that's an accurate way to look at it.

The Walt Disney Company is producing good content these days. I'd argue the entire MCU has been good content. Recent WDAS films have been good content. Pixar has made good content since being acquired and hopefully Inside Out is the start of a new trend there. Most people seem optimistic that The Force Awakens will be good quality.

It's easy to write that off as just having "bought content" but what does that mean? Selling reprints of 1960's Marvel comics would be "buying content" and just re-selling it. What the MCU is doing is taking established IP and using that as a basis for new, creative ideas.

Furthermore, I think a decent case could be made that Iger's acquisitions have been significant not just for the IP, but in the creative talent that has been brought under Disney employment (Lasseter, Feige, Kennedy, etc.).

Right, but Disney did not clean house and replace those creative engines with their own people. Those acquisitions were already creatively sound before Disney bought them.

Pixar "made good content" before Disney bought them not because Disney bought them.

There is a difference you are missing.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Why isn't Universal Celebrating Universal25 Tomorrow? Why is only a local fan group celebrating it?

They've had a few concerts to celebrate the 25th, but nothing other than that. In some ways I'm sad, but in other ways, I also understand that there's lots of people who don't have the same nostalgia for the park when it first opened as I do....heck, there's only 3 attractions still remaining since it first opened.

Rutt

Right, but Disney did not clean house and replace those creative engines with their own people. Those acquisitions were already creatively sound before Disney bought them.

Pixar "made good content" before Disney bought them not because Disney bought them.

There is a difference you are missing.
Wouldnt anybody any company hired or 'purchased' generally be creative before being hired?

cdd89

travelling is just mine and my other half's priority currently and we budget like crazy in between times to do as much as we can
Sounds like your priorities are right where they should be :) Although I notice a disturbing omission from that list... if you're from the UK, you do realise it's your moral obligation to visit DLP as much as possible, right? ;-)

More seriously - I suspect WDW really depends on the 3-week on-siters... Even if they stray to Uni for a day or two, they'll be spending most of their time at WDW, and even if they spend less per-day than a 3-day guest, the total spend is pretty huge.

Just as an example, that day hitting the shops in O-Town's malls is going to look a lot less attractive if the prices are higher than back home... And the extra per-diem cost will reduce the justification for longer trips.

I guess there'll be a delayed effect since most bookings are done way in advance... But they must be concerned by the fact they're selectively discouraging their most profitable guests from visiting.

flyerjab

Saw this today on the Forbes site and thought it was of interest to the Shanghai shenanigans.

Shanghai Tourism Icon To Invest $1.1 Bln In Bet On Disney Success

Yuyuan Tourist Mart, a Chinese-themed shopping area that attracts 40 million visitors annually, said today it will invest 6.7 billion yuan, or $1.1 billion, in two real estate projects to take advantage of an expected increase in visitors to the city after a Disney Resort is opened here later this year.

The company will invest 3.1 billion yuan in the Quecheng Commercial Plaza and 3.6 billion yuan in the Yutai Commercial Plaza. The two projects will have a combined 140,000 gross floor area intended for commercial and office use, and are expected to be completed in 2019.

Shanghai will attract 15 million new visitors a year after Disney’s opening, the company said in a statement.

Total investment in the new Disney Resort area itself, which includes Shanghai Disneyland, will exceed $5 billion, the company has said previously.

Yuyuan is nearly 30% owned by Shanghai-headquartered Fosun International. Fosun Group is led by Shanghai billionaire Guo Guangchang. Fosun Media is a licensing partner of Forbes Media in China.

Shares in Yuyuan rose 2.7% at the Shanghai Stock Exchange after today’s announcement.

This was from an article in January of this year but I thought that it was slightly relevant to the larger topic of Shanghai. Adhering to what is a logical outcome, investment in this area by other interested parties was an inevitability.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom