A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Still is imo. Great show. Same goes for American Adventure.
The animatronics definitively are good.

But as a third country visitor.. the idealized and overblown patriotism was staggering :hilarious:

Thanks for doing that.

Let the fastest guest(s) win!

I wonder if we will see super obese people running (and rolling) at impressive speed, all to get their "precious" an spot at Frozen.

And may the odds be ever in your favor.

new event.. imagine a hurdles/crosstown type run, where the guests have to dodge other guests, vendors, jump on top of food and merchandise carts and KO costumed characters to reach Frozen :hilarious:

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

But as a third country visitor.. the idealized and overblown patriotism was staggering :hilarious:

I wonder if we will see super obese people running (and rolling) at impressive speed, all to get their "precious" an spot at Frozen.

You'll have to agree that all countries put on their "Nationalism" hats from time to time.

*1023*

Mike S

Lol, what did you think of the finale to MuppetVision? "A salute to all nations but mostly America" :hilarious:
I read it, and I just had to do it :hilarious:
image.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

All of the World Showcase pavilions are presented in an idealized "best foot forward" manner, that's kind of the point and I don't know why you'd expect otherwise. I see no reason to single out American Adventure. If the other pavilions had anything remotely negative about the cultures, the real countries i'm certain would be offended and blast Disney for it. There are plenty of problems with China as well, but obviously the circle vision movie isn't going to linger on the negatives of their culture or pollution problems. Morocco also isn't going to address the rampant and uncivilized sexism still prevalent against women (similar to other countries in that part of the world).

American Adventure is fantastic. I'm not a very "patriotic" person at all and the sort of people following the dumb ignorant American are quite obnoxious. The show is simply an incredibly well done attraction. Great script, awesome AA's, fantastic music, just an amazingly put together attraction overall.

And honestly American Adventure is actually far more self-reflecting and aware of the problems the country faces than the other pavilions. It addresses and condemns the people who were involved in slavery (also smartly addressing the cost of war when fighting for freedom and how it tears families and friends apart) and the oppression of native Americans. It also shows the dangers of corporate excess at the expense of the environment and the working class. And Mark Twain has some cautionary words at the end regarding patriotic pride going to our heads and becoming a destructive force. The attraction is a cautious but optimistic look at the country and its future.

Last edited:

Bairstow

@Bairstow your mentality of just focusing on the outcome right now and nothing else is the definition of a blind folower. The consequence of such thinking is you'll never adapt, you'll never lead, and you'll never expand. Its also the line of thought that leads companies that were great... To eventually fail because they are stubborn and not believe anything but what they used to do.

I cant even articulate how dangerous such thinking is. Selling all your organs will deliever great financial results too.. Doesnt mean its the way forward to fund your future

Eh. Ok.

Meanwhile, in the real world...

disneystock.jpg

Cesar R M

Generally, anyone who falls back on that mentality gets put on ignore. And rightfuly so.

Of course "Disney is a Business"... what else have we been discussing primarily in this thread? Why else does Parentsof4 go to the effort to make some seriously researched charts? Hell, Why do I?
Well dave, you know that I already ranted about these kind of people before.

They try to use the "Disney is a business!" as a way to shut down comments and finish the conversation without a real statement. Its transforming in the "HITLER DID X !" retort equivalent discussion killer.

AEfx

I simply cannot wrap my hear around someone trying to argue that Disney shouldn't expand their secondary parks and work towards increasing their attendance.

Completely agreed. Those three parks have remained stagnant when it comes to development, they stay stagnant on the numbers. It seems the "they just want to squeeze more $ out of who already comes" is really supported by that.

In my mind, it all goes back to AK...they did a bad job of marketing it, and misjudged what the market wanted in the first place (1/3 a zoo and 1/3 of a theme park wrapped in a really pretty shell does not = interest when the majority of the country lives near regional zoos with much better animal viewing and variety). Instead of admit that, they simply went with the "market is saturated" line.

I seem to recall somewhere in my injured elephant memory you, perhaps - 5, maybe 7 years ago - when the "market is saturated" narrative was pretty much the standard even by regulars here, where you were discussing broader (convention oriented?) numbers and that the market in Orlando indeed showed that it would grow in the future. Here's an "He told you so" for ya. :)

AEfx

Eh. Ok.

Meanwhile, in the real world...

Don't go posting facts like that...especially showing activity over more than the past ten years. You'll rile the natives and betray the "let's be honest, we really care about the parks being neglected while the rest of the WDC is showing record growth so let's pretend the whole company has gone down the chutes" cone of silence.

Mike S

Completely agreed. Those three parks have remained stagnant when it comes to development, they stay stagnant on the numbers. It seems the "they just want to squeeze more $ out of who already comes" is really supported by that.

In my mind, it all goes back to AK...they did a bad job of marketing it, and misjudged what the market wanted in the first place (1/3 a zoo and 1/3 of a theme park wrapped in a really pretty shell does not = interest when the majority of the country lives near regional zoos with much better animal viewing and variety). Instead of admit that, they simply went with the "market is saturated" line.

I seem to recall somewhere in my injured elephant memory you, perhaps - 5, maybe 7 years ago - when the "market is saturated" narrative was pretty much the standard even by regulars here, where you were discussing broader (convention oriented?) numbers and that the market in Orlando indeed showed that it would grow in the future. Here's an "He told you so" for ya. :)
I remember reading somewhere that before AK Disney sent out a survey that asked guests what they would like to see in a new park. What was the most popular option? "Dragons and mythical creatures" (or something like that). I think AK could've had a much different story if it opened the way it should've. Instead we got nahtazu with only two rides at opening. Super.

PhotoDave219

What spurred today was 74 making the observation about the secondary parks and I looked at the numbers.

Then looked back farther.

I don't think people realize that Epcot just isn't growing. (We know the Studios aren't)

But when overall attendance at WDW has grown 74% in 22 years, MK has grown 68% And Epcot has only grown 14%, that's a problem. That's a giant red flag.

Management will tout its revenue numbers but for gosh sake, Epcot should be pulling in the 15M/year ballpark and it's not. DHS/DAK should be at least 12.5/M and they're not.

There has to be a damn good reason why.

PhotoDave219

Don't go posting facts like that...especially showing activity over more than the past ten years. You'll rile the natives and betray the "let's be honest, we really care about the parks being neglected while the rest of the WDC is showing record growth so let's pretend the whole company has gone down the chutes" cone of silence.

110 a share? Imagine What that would be if their theme park numbers had another 5-10M Guests were going to Orlando?

Imagine if instead of dropping all that capex in China or Hong Kong, they invested some in Orlando?

Oh wait, that's because Iger is paid in stock so it's in his personal best interest to keep the stock as high as possible at all costs....

AEfx

There has to be a damn good reason why.

And I think we know why...there really isn't a whole lot to do there.

Honestly, though - I think it's also because Disney doesn't really see Epcot as this epic theme park like we do with our nostalgia glasses and how it used to feel when Epcot used to be a 1.5 day park.

They see it for what it is - the bare minimum of attractions in Future World to get folks to spend some time there on their park hoppers, and a mile long shopping mall/food court where the liquor flows and people come, even though there isn't a damn thing to do besides look at some nice architecture.

Disney doesn't care about Epcot admission - they care how much money the mall/food court is bringing in, and they sit giggling that folks have to buy a ticket in order to go there.

AEfx

110 a share? Imagine What that would be if their theme park numbers had another 5-10M Guests were going to Orlando?

Imagine if instead of dropping all that capex in China or Hong Kong, they invested some in Orlando?

Oh wait, that's because Iger is paid in stock so it's in his personal best interest to keep the stock as high as possible at all costs....

Or because Orlando is still bringing in the bucks and they don't see it as broke so they don't fix it.

Depends on your interpretation. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom