A Spirited Perfect Ten

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I have a thought about Tiered Pricing...wanted to know what you all think:

I think Disney is going about this the wrong way...a bit.

My idea is to keep the background cost of each theme park admission price separate and do something a bit like what Tokyo Disney does, but modified quite a bit.
At Tokyo, there is no such thing as a 1 day or 2 day park hopper option. Only 3 and 4 day park hoppers, MEANING you can only park hop on those third and fourth days. Also, if you buy a 2 day (or 3 or 4) pass, you have to tell them which park you're visiting on which day.

My thoughts, if I was TDO and I was creating a new ticketing structure like this (let's just call it inevitable for this scenario), make it more of a day planning setup.

For example:
Family plans to visit WDW for 5 days, Sunday through Thursday of whatever month. We know lots of pixie dusters love planning their vacations 6 months ahead (slight sarcasm), so why not give them a few options here. They plan to visit each park and also park-hop

Give them Options:
Option 1: DHS on Sunday- maybe also offer an Extra FP+ to ____ attraction, Epcot Monday, MK Wednesday, AK, then Park Hop on the 5th day...depending on expected crowd levels....total cost $240
Option 2: MK on Sunday, no extra FP available, Epcot Monday, DHS Tuesday, AK Wednesday, then Park Hop.......Total Cost $300
Option 3: Park Hopper available all 5 days...Total Cost $370

Yes, in some ways this might seem complicated, but in some ways, it also gives people the feeling that they will get a better value by choosing their days differently, instead of saying "MK will cost you $130 now, mwahahahaaaaa!!!"

Last edited:

Mike S

Sorry, been away for a couple of days. Do WDW fans want more people at these 3 parks or better experiences there?
Better attractions will bring people to Animal Kingdom and Studios parks with little controversy but for some reason new attractions at Epcot make Epcot fans mad. They like their oversized science project/world's fair park.

Putting real attractions in World Showcase would boost attendance and make people furious all at the same time.
These sure wouldn't make me furious, or any other EPCOT Center fan I imagine. Nope, not one bit.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mike S

You forgot to add the Equatorial Africa watering hole "attraction" and more important the "Rhine River Cruise" in Germany.

;)
Since he went to the trouble of saying "real attractions" I was thinking he meant something that would really pack a punch and draw people in. The mountains would do that, not so much the River Cruise. Especially in this day and age. As much as I would like a new slow ride in the classic Disney style, it just won't happen i'm afraid.

Last edited:

Funmeister

Since he went to the trouble of saying "real attractions" I was thinking he meant something that would really pack a punch and draw people in. The mountains would do that, not so much the River Cruise. Especially in this day and age. As much as I would like a new slow ride in the classic Disney style, it just won't happen im afraid.

I agree but it is never too late to re-imagine the Cruise into something with more of a wow factor than what was planned in the 70's/80's.

No point talking about it though...you know and I know it will never happen.

Remember when Disney made a big announcement that they would no longer stick with building countries in World Showcase and would consider and include "regions" of the world?

Everyone thought an announcement would be made soon after. Nothing.

Mike S

So you're saying that adding a people-eating ride like Mermaid vastly increased MK's capacity when it opened?

Makes me wonder what happens to DHS' capacity if/when LMA goes away.
Mermaid and SDMT replaced the lost capacity from the closures of 20k, the Skyway, and more recently SWSA. Where does the capacity actually stand now? Is it less? I see two possibilities with the closure of LMA: either DHS starts to feel more crowded with more people in the walkways or attendence could drop off with even less to do. One would think Disney would want to get a replacement up ASAP but just look at the Backlot Tour. Almost a year and nothing has happened yet.

asianway

Even though MK is the most popular park, its more of a capacity thing than a poor operations thing. The other parks cannot physically hold as many people per day as MK can. Yes MK is more popular, Yes the other parks need work, but even if they improved the current footprint, physical space limits the amount of people in those parks which will not match MK without significant additional space added to those parks.
As dave said Epcot capacity exceeds MK. The sheer amount of space to hold people really only becomes apparent on NYE but it's there

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Believe it or not... I have read impassioned protests against roller coasters at Epcot on these forums in the years I have been a member here. As for me, I would make a special trip for either, certainly for both-

IMO the question isn't yes or no, but how and where in Epcot the rollercoaster is built. Would it replace an attraction like Spaceship Earth (rumored before) or be a new attraction, that's highly themed, etc.

Mike S

Those aren't "Disney."
The concept of those mountains are much more "Disney" to me than what they're doing in Norway and I'll stand by that.
Believe it or not... I have read impassioned protests against roller coasters at Epcot on these forums in the years I have been a member here. As for me, I would make a special trip for either, certainly for both-
That's certainly news to me. I can't imagine who would hate seeing those things looming over World Showcase. Just last trip I was imagining it as I looked at Japan. It sure would be awesome.

misterID

That's exactly right. Don't confuse frustration with the Frozen/Norway situation with unwillingness to enjoy new Countries, or building some of the original concepts like the rides in Germany and Japan.
I think the crowd problem is going to be so disastrous because of Frozen they're going to have to build more attractions around WS.

misterID

The concept of those mountains are much more "Disney" to me than what they're doing in Norway and I'll stand by that.

That's certainly news to me. I can't imagine who would hate seeing those things looming over World Showcase. Just last trip I was imagining it as I looked at Japan. It sure would be awesome.
Yep, there have been people who don't want any thrill rides at EPCOT. There were people who didn't want any rides in WS period.

EPCOT was designed to have lots of rides in WS, but they'd rather keep it an outdoor mall. There were plans of a Godzilla ride in Japan and rumors of a Ratatoullie clone in France. I think that the whole "what fits EPCOT" argument is pretty moot now. They got it wrong with an EPCOT thrill ride with M:S and shown they don't care with Imagination and Frozen. My prediction of the next ride in EPCOT will be a knee jerk reaction to how terrible WS is going to be very soon.

misterID

Nah, they'll just try (and fail) to redirect them to Gran Fiesta Tour and Imagination with FP+.
I seriously doubt that, even though you might be being cheeky. Staggs is going to look like a tool. The reason Avatar was even announced when it was is because if how badly they came off at the D23 when they inexplicably forgot they actually had a resort and a few theme parks in Florida. Staggs apology was forced when the official Disney message board literally couldn't keep up with deleting all the negative responses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom