A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

You can thank Buffalo for 88. The water contributed to his awesomeness.

Between Matthew Barnaby & Michael Peca, I absolutely despised your team in the 90s. Now I feel bad for the fans.

So we're we going to even address that two trains on a roller coaster crashed at Alton Towers in London or what?

tribbleorlfl

Why would an omnimover be affected by going downhill? Don't most of the current omnimovers go up and down hills? Pretty sure spaceship earth has a rather long downhill section in it..... With the omnimovers basically being one long continuous train of vehicles, the ones on the downhill side are counter-balanced by the ones on the uphill side, no?

That's correct. If they're all on a continuous train, unless there's some significant weight difference (like REALLY significant) there shouldn't be any reason for issues on the hills.
Sorry it's taken me a few days to respond, but I talked to my dad this morning to get more clarification. So the essential gist is yes, traditional omnimovers are like a giant chain and there are several attractions that go up and down hills.

However, he used the downhill section at SSE as an example. He said there are additional motors and gearboxes in that portion, and the way he described it, if it weren't for those extra systems, it would be possible for weight and gravity to pull down on the rv's in the downhill portion. This in turn would out significant pressure on the connection with the rv's at the top of the hill, possibly stopping progression of the ride or damaging the connection (causing safety issues).

PhotoDave219

Ariel1986

Crazy. I'd love to know more about it.

Basically the ride was having technical problems all day, they were sending around empty carriages and one got stuck. For some reason (it's looking like this was mainly human error now- someone's going to get fired!) they sent a carriage with people round and were unaware one of the empty carriages was stuck at the bottom of a loop- which the carriage full of people then smashed into at 50mph. Luckily no fatalities but some pretty nasty broken legs for 4 people (the ones in the front row who took the most impact I believe) and the park has now been shut since, whilst investigations happen.

The ride has been pretty faulty since day one- it has been shut a few times, most notably when previously 2 bolts appeared to come off mid ride along with two outer wheel covers another time- which hit two riders. Apparently they went the cheaper route in constructing this ride, that was rumoured before it even opened! It's showing now!

Side note- Alton Towers is in Staffordshire, a good 150 miles north of London. Not too far away if you were in the states- but when England's so small that's half the country away! ;)

PhotoDave219

Basically the ride was having technical problems all day, they were sending around empty carriages and one got stuck. For some reason (it's looking like this was mainly human error now- someone's going to get fired!) they sent a carriage with people round and were unaware one of the empty carriages was stuck at the bottom of a loop- which the carriage full of people then smashed into at 50mph. Luckily no fatalities but some pretty nasty broken legs for 4 people (the ones in the front row who took the most impact I believe) and the park has now been shut since, whilst investigations happen.

The ride has been pretty faulty since day one- it has been shut a few times, most notably when previously 2 bolts appeared to come off mid ride along with two outer wheel covers another time- which hit two riders. Apparently they went the cheaper route in constructing this ride, that was rumoured before it even opened! It's showing now!

Side note- Alton Towers is in Staffordshire, a good 150 miles north of London. Not too far away if you were in the states- but when England's so small that's half the country away! ;)

Sounds like they really, really, really messed up… Thank God nobody got killed.

truecoat

I heard a kid lost a leg.

Cesar R M

fired? they dont prosecute people for such blatantly stupid error?

Ariel1986

fired? they dont prosecute people for such blatantly stupid error?

Yes that will happen I'm sure- If they can find that it was a specific human error responsible for the harm and potential fatalities. I said someone's getting fired as an off hand comment. I don't know what specific charge it would be but I'm sure there will be something.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The term you are looking for is "Bush-League"

Edit: More reasons why Hockey should have never came to Florida.

At least Disney got out of sports in 2005 when they sold the Mighty Ducks for $75M in 2005.

Should have held on a few years because even then the market for sports teams was evolving into a sellers market, They could have added a zero to that figure. Iger is SUCH a financial genius (with price increases and quality cuts) yet adding nothing above the line.

bhg469

Between Matthew Barnaby & Michael Peca, I absolutely despised your team in the 90s. Now I feel bad for the fans.

So we're we going to even address that two trains on a roller coaster crashed at Alton Towers in London or what?
New team should be really good in a season or two. I'm not worried.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom