A Spirited Perfect Ten

AEfx

Wow, I've done some reading up...I had no idea that Kong wasn't going to be some slightly enhanced version of the CA experience. It sounds like it's the Indy ride on steroids.

You know, I usually don't care for it when folks postulate what Walt Disney would do/think today, mostly because what so many folks argue the opposite of what he likely really would want.

That said, I had this thought tonight, probably influenced by all this Tomorrowland talk.

If Walt really had been frozen, and was now residing under Sleeping Beauty's Castle, can you imagine how his revival would go?

They'd wake him up, and after he had his first cigarette, he'd ask to be shown around. They'd take him across Disneyland, and he likely would be impressed with stuff like Indy, Splash Mountain, and Star Tours.

As they finished up their tour of Disneyland, he'd say, "You know fellas, you haven't done too badly without me. I'd hoped for a bit more, but hey - not too shabby for fifteen years worth of development."

The Disney pages exchange nervous looks with the executives, until finally one of them speaks up.

"Uh, Mr. Disney, um, actually, it's 2015."

"2015??? When I woke up and they said 15 I thought they meant it's been 15 years! Are you telling me that it's not 1981 but it's 2015??? That this is ALL YOU HAVE DONE IN FIFTY YEARS??? My Lord...okay, okay...but what about the Florida Project? What's the population of EPCOT?"

Once he got his answers, I daresay he would have asked to be taken to Nemo's Subs one more time, and while boarding he would have yelled "It's 20 THOUSAND LEAGUES, YOU INGRATES!" before he took one last puff on his cigarette and dove face first into the water, drowning himself out of misery and disappointment.

Cesar R M

Sorta. It was infinitely better than John Carter.

I expected better from Brad Bird. Coming from Pixar where they know whether or not something is going to work before its filmed, you'd think he'd know better.

I have no problem with the mystery of Tomorrowland, just......
Show me what Tomorrowland is and lets explore it!

Don't tell me we need to save it because something happened. Exposition! Show me this amazing world! And if it needs saving, Show me why! Dont wait until the Third Act to show me this world that needs saving!

Such is my main criticism.....
actually, makes you wonder.. what if the guys from Walt Disney decided to put their finger and forced Bird to eliminate a lot of content?
Reminds me of the forced changes in the movie Savings Mr. Banks and many others... (like the producers of Alvin and the Chipmunks 3, forcing the main actors TO BE on board of a Carnival ship. All this just because one of them was a Carnival executive as well. You can view about this on google by checking the angry interview of David Cross)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Don't you think Wall Street analysts know at least as much about what is going on in China as we do? They are following the company for a living. Most people here are just doing it as a hobby.

Many analysts are lazy and take the pressers as gospel, not all of course but many of them are, we collectively follow and analyze Disney much more closely than the majority of the analyst community. This is also why the majority of the analysts miss companies about to blow up

Nemo14

Wow, I've done some reading up...I had no idea that Kong wasn't going to be some slightly enhanced version of the CA experience. It sounds like it's the Indy ride on steroids.

You know, I usually don't care for it when folks postulate what Walt Disney would do/think today, mostly because what so many folks argue the opposite of what he likely really would want.

That said, I had this thought tonight, probably influenced by all this Tomorrowland talk.

If Walt really had been frozen, and was now residing under Sleeping Beauty's Castle, can you imagine how his revival would go?

They'd wake him up, and after he had his first cigarette, he'd ask to be shown around. They'd take him across Disneyland, and he likely would be impressed with stuff like Indy, Splash Mountain, and Star Tours.

As they finished up their tour of Disneyland, he'd say, "You know fellas, you haven't done too badly without me. I'd hoped for a bit more, but hey - not too shabby for fifteen years worth of development."

The Disney pages exchange nervous looks with the executives, until finally one of them speaks up.

"2015??? When I woke up and they said 15 I thought they meant it's been 15 years! Are you telling me that it's not 1981 but it's 2015??? That this is ALL YOU HAVE DONE IN FIFTY YEARS??? My Lord...okay, okay...but what about the Florida Project? What's the population of EPCOT?"

Once he got his answers, I daresay he would have asked to be taken to Nemo's Subs one more time, and while boarding he would have yelled "It's 20 THOUSAND LEAGUES, YOU INGRATES!" before he took one last puff on his cigarette and dove face first into the water, drowning himself out of misery and disappointment.

No, they would have Elsa refreeze him...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Many analysts are lazy and take the pressers as gospel, not all of course but many of them are, we collectively follow and analyze Disney much more closely than the majority of the analyst community. This is also why the majority of the analysts miss companies about to blow up
We can agree to disagree on that. Having worked with analysts directly from the corporate side the vast majority are far from lazy. That's just a silly statement. I never met one who only used the press releases as gospel, but I don't know every analyst out there so maybe some do. I would doubt they would be employed very long.

What I think the general public fails to realize is that the hour of questions after the earnings call isn't the end of questions coming in from analysts. Public companies generally have an entire department of investor relations people answering analyst questions. We don't really know what questions about TWDC have been asked and answered in private. Having been on the other side of the questions I can tell you it's far from an open book and certain questions will simply be answered with no comment or corporate spin, but there are definitely times when analysts will get detailed responses back. It often depends on who the analyst is and who they represent.

Mike S

One teeny problem with your story. Just by walking past a gift shop he would find out what year it actually is.

ETA: Two other things you've forgotten as well. What the Club 33 expansion has done to New Orleans Square and the fact that Disney has been resting on their laurels (especially in Orlando) while the company that stole animators and Oswald from Walt has been expanding like crazy and slowly but surely dissolving the notion of "the Disney Difference" in only 5 years time.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

One teeny problem with your story. Just by walking past a gift shop he would find out what year it actually is.

ETA: Two other things you've forgotten as well. What the Club 33 expansion has done to New Orleans Square and the fact that Disney has been resting on their laurels (especially in Orlando) while the company that stole animators and Oswald from Walt has been expanding like crazy and slowly but surely dissolving the notion of "the Disney Difference" in only 5 years time.
Walt knew he didn't own Oswald and Universal didn't hire away his animators. Mintz, the middle man between Walt and Universal, hired away the animators thinking he could make more without paying a cut to Walt or Ub. Not too long later, viewing Mintz the way he did Walt, Universal did the same thing and hired away Mintz's animators.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We can agree to disagree on that. Having worked with analysts directly from the corporate side the vast majority are far from lazy. That's just a silly statement. I never met one who only used the press releases as gospel, but I don't know every analyst out there so maybe some do. I would doubt they would be employed very long.

What I think the general public fails to realize is that the hour of questions after the earnings call isn't the end of questions coming in from analysts. Public companies generally have an entire department of investor relations people answering analyst questions. We don't really know what questions about TWDC have been asked and answered in private. Having been on the other side of the questions I can tell you it's far from an open book and certain questions will simply be answered with no comment or corporate spin, but there are definitely times when analysts will get detailed responses back. It often depends on who the analyst is and who they represent.

Goof I think we can agree to disagree, But why do the people on Seeking Alpha and similar sites always see the blowups far in advance of the general analyst community. The reality is most analysts have far too many companies to cover and these days most analysts are 'sell side' so it's in their best interest to present the most positive picture so their companies can reap commission income.

How many analysts physically visit the companies they cover and use their products and services in a anonymous manner so they can see what the CUSTOMER sees without getting the VIP treatment, The answer these days is d--m few.

We have far too few 'independent' analysts who are simply doing the analytical work on what the true performance of companies is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom