A Spirited Perfect Ten

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Everyone that says Iger is just avoiding the spotlight due to his nature, or simply strategically laying low, is so missing the obvious it is laughable. If the above reasons were truly the case, he and Tom and entourage could have taken the long, exhausting, trip to Asia a couple of weeks from now, or a couple of weeks ago if all they wanted to do is take the pulse of how things are going, not back-to-back-to-back with a big movie premier and the Disneyland 60th kickoff. No, they chose to make that long trip specifically to coincide with the store opening and topping off ceremonies. Being no-shows screams that things didn't go as planned.

Now in fairness, none of this means that Disney's entry into the mainland is ultimately doomed to be a financial disaster. But would Wall Street be quite as bullish about Disney if they realized the extent to which their golden boy wasn't calling the shots?
Don't you think Wall Street analysts know at least as much about what is going on in China as we do? They are following the company for a living. Most people here are just doing it as a hobby.

Skip

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/24/europe/cannes-winners-losers/
The Cannes audience is notoriously vocal -- equally capable of delivering a 15-minute standing ovation or walking out after the first 15 minutes of a film. They applaud the festival logo which appears before each screening. And during the opening credits of "Inside Out" they booed Disney and cheered Pixar.

Having been at the world premiere I can back this up a bit - there was mostly silence and some light jeers (along with smatterings of polite clapping) when the Disney logo appeared, but enthusiastic applause and cheers for Pixar.

So... hm.

AEfx

Now in fairness, none of this means that Disney's entry into the mainland is ultimately doomed to be a financial disaster. But would Wall Street be quite as bullish about Disney if they realized the extent to which their golden boy wasn't calling the shots?

Apparently not!

I always knew this board was magical, but I had no idea just how much until this discussion. I mean, we have world-shattering, corporation-defining, highly embarrassing, smoking-gun info here on this site...and no one else is talking about it anywhere in the world.

Somehow, the magic in WDWMAGIC has contained this epic failure within it's threads, and the entire rest of the world is completely ignorant of how Bob Iger just got whipped and beaten, and only a select few folks even here understand this.

I mean, my God - even Jim Hill hasn't stolen this and run with it...yet. He does that with every bus driver tidbit someone posts, but magic is the only explanation of why he hasn't broken this story on the Huff Post days ago.

Ladies and gentleman, we have been charged with the responsibility of this earth shattering information - if only we can figure out how to make anyone in the outside world care...

the.dreamfinder

Having been at the world premiere I can back this up a bit - there was mostly silence and some light jeers (along with smatterings of polite clapping) when the Disney logo appeared, but enthusiastic applause and cheers for Pixar.

So... hm.
But did you see Guillermo Del Toro or the Coen Brothers?

Cesar R M

I think you'll find the DLP issue was a bit different. I'll leave it to the more business minded folks, but given that DLP is the #1 tourist attraction in Europe, yet it has operated in the red for most of it's existence and has enormous debt, shows intrinsic financial issues with the park that don't seem will be replicated here.
makes you wonder, what the hell are they doing with the money?

Cesar R M

Sorry that I did not provide you with the answer you wanted, however, I honestly thought the answer I provided was suficient. But I'll reiterate the same old song about Disney is a business and they want to make money. Just as Disney has a licensing deal with OLC, they were smart enough to understand that a similar deal in China would not be to their advantage. While they have an ownership deal in China, Disney is perfectly happy to let China run the show. I think Iger is just following through on Eisner's philosophy that trained monkeys can do the job of theme park employees.

I honestly don't think TWDC cares about who is perceived to be running the show. What they care about is money and all the opportunities for making more money that this entry to China provides. It's very obvious that Bob Iger is not interested in creating cinematic artistic masterpieces or innovative park attractions. Nor should he be interested in those things. He's making lots of money and this entry into China will be his legacy. If future CEO's are able to succeed in the Chinese market and TWDC becomes bigger and more powerful, it will all reflect back to Bob Iger as the genius who opened the door to China for TWDC.

Except for this thread, I've not seen anyone that is concerned about seeing or not seeing photos of Disney executives in China. It's really a non issue, except here. I look upon it as a red herring.
"Disney is a business".

aah yes.. he had to try to make a closure on that.

Can anyone bring the Goodwin's law next?

monstersuniversity_the.jpg

ParentsOf4

The Raptor Encounter at IOA looks awesome! Anyone see it up close yet?
Yes, we saw the Raptor Encounter yesterday. It was impressive, even in broad daylight.

I noticed lots of nicely done things at IOA and USF. Unexpected street shows, an entertaining parade, little odds-and-ends shops opened, several in locations I've never seen before, unique merchandise in stores, lots of crowds but lines always under an hour at even the most popular attractions. CMs handing out little perks. (We received a free dessert at the Leaky Cauldron; saw someone else get a free Express Pass for one attraction of their choice.) CMs genuinely being friendly and helpful. Twice I overhead CMs saying, in effect, "I used to work at Disney but I like it here so much more."

We had no problems walking up to restaurants without reservations and getting seated almost immediately. No need to plan our vacation months in advance.

Animatronics and show elements seemed to be fully working on every ride we experienced.

Diagon Alley truly is an impressive land, the best in all of Orlando.

The King Kong ride is huge with construction going on throughout the Memorial Day weekend. No dragging their feet on this one.

Complaints? I had several.

The Express Pass lines at Spider-man, Minion's Mayhem, and Transformers ran 20 minutes; Rip, Ride, Rockit was 30 minutes. So much for "express".

No ice at the refillable coke machines for much of the day, plus we encountered 2 that were difficult to work. (Had to hit buttons several times for them to react.)

I twice picked up empty paper cups. No idea how long they were on the ground.

The men's bathrooms were well-kept but my DW and DD mentioned a couple of the women's bathrooms didn't have soap in the dispensers.

We skipped a bunch of attractions. Having done them many times before, they had no appeal. I'll ride Peter Pan's Flight for the 100th time before I see the Terminator show for the 20th time. When are they going to get rid of Fear Factor Live and Twister?

Overall though, Universal has out-Disney'ed Disney.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom