A Spirited Perfect Ten

lazyboy97o

Bureaucracies don't get along with others, doubly so when dealing with other bureaucracies. China and Disney are both bureaucracies. So much of "Papa" Xi's actions are being read as purely anti-Western and that is a rather narrow, arrogant position. These actions also make sense as being anti-bureaucratic, a goal that has far bigger rewards than pushing around Westerners. The Chinese don't want to be the Soviets Part II, stalled out and stuck because of a government system that exists as more of an ever present but never effectively lead organization that is unable to effectively project global power. China cannot be the global superpower without establishing an ordered system of structures, a goal not supported by screwing over others just for the jollies of it all.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Afternoon Musings:

It again speaks volumes about the way OLC cares about its parks and reinvests that they simply drop a fairly major new attraction announcement when the Disney focus is supposed to be on Shanghai (yeah, I'm sure hearing and reading a lot too ... I must not understand how to find content on the web.) and Anaheim and on a Tomorrowland film, which seems to be getting very mixed reviews.

And while I knew OLC wanted a replacement in the near future for Storm Rider, which is very overrated if you're an American fanboi who has never actually ridden it (think White Arctic at SW), I was surprised by the timing of it right on the heels of their massive recent announcements.

No, I don't have a problem with Nemo. Popular IP (that I happen to enjoy) that has no presence in the resort beyond a Dreamlights parade unit with a sequel coming out in a few years. TDS has always had characters in the park and they in no way overwhelm (beyond Duffy taking over Cape Cod, but that is a phenomenon that ain't going anywhere.)

Again, WDW has four stale theme parks and they hold press events (actually for local bloggingwhores and BRAND advocates) around new timeshares and cupcakes. And so many fans think that's how it's done and how it's supposed to be done. And thanks to the evils of technology, that side will always have a huge advantage.

To those folks who insist (ignorantly, I'll add) that we should all ''move along ... nothing to see here ... or in Shanghai'' and toss out the Occam's Razor line of BS (BTW, heard about the Razor literally once before it became a popular 'net line of explaining away all sorts of things for the Walmart crowd), I'll simply say if you wish to apply the Occam's Razor appropriately to the lack of coverage for all of the bizarre goings-on in and around Disney's entry into the mainland, then the most obvious answer for people like Ben Fritz ignoring all sorts of stories that should be a huge part of him covering TWDC isn't that there's nothing there (that's your own bias likely seeping through). Nope, it's that individuals like him have far, far more to gain by ignoring negative and, potentially explosive, stories on the companies they cover for their own financial/career gain. THAT is the most obvious reason why things don't get covered no matter whether we are talking the White House beat, the General Electric beat, the fracking/oil industry in Oklahoma beat or, yes, the Disney beat. Sorry, folks, but you don't get to have it both ways.

Cesar R M

Pretty much but the cabin is way different. If it's purely aesthetic or maybe some tech upgrades from the original Star Tours idk (paging @marni1971).
aaah I see..
but the design itself is similar? as in tech.
a digital "ride" where the thing moves..

Similar to Star Tours, but the cabins are bigger and there are effects going on around you. Stuff is falling off the walls and you get sprayed with water. The video doesn’t include the pre show. Here is a description of the attraction from Disney wiki and keep in mind you have very enthusiastic CM’s in the pre show describing this in Japanese.

"Pre-Ride
A cast member briefs you on your mission. There is a big storm and you are to deploy a Fuse-a storm dissipater-into the eye of the storm in a StormRider. The cast member gives a brief demonstration of the Fuse, and says that you will be safe from the Fuse, as you will be miles away by the time it goes off. You are then ushered into a flight simulator similar to that of Star Tours.

Ride
You take off, following another StormRider, but go off course, seeing dolphins, boats and Zeppelins. You meet up with the other StormRider and go into the eye of the storm, but the other StormRider is struck by lightning and forced to land. Shortly after, you deploy the Fuse, which is also struck by lightning and goes off course, impaling itself in the launcher located overhead. This effect is achieved by having a segment of the launcher rotate to reveal a large hole with the Fuse inside. You manage to dislodge it from the as it explodes, damaging the StormRider and causing it to fall, but it manages to fly again before in finally crashes into the ocean as the ride ends. This segment of the ride features such effects as panels partially falling off and embers on other panels. "

It is just a completely bizarre experience.

gotcha, thank you !

Cesar R M

I dont get "trigger warnings"... thats just not a concept I'm familiar with.
Its pretty simple.
People are using the "trigger warning" excuse to blast things they dont like.

Example, a real person who has a real trigger.. will get in a panic attack when something similar (to what hurt the person) happens.
A fine example is the segment of "dynamite gal" from the movie WRECK IT RALPH.

Then theres Aholes who use "dont trigger me" as a way to silence opinions they dislike.. they dont get panic attacks, they just dont like or feel annoyed. Thats why the joke of that image macro was born.
They're mocking the guys who claim they get "triggered" FOR ANYTHING.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Bureaucracies don't get along with others, doubly so when dealing with other bureaucracies. China and Disney are both bureaucracies. So much of "Papa" Xi's actions are being read as purely anti-Western and that is a rather narrow, arrogant position. These actions also make sense as being anti-bureaucratic, a goal that has far bigger rewards than pushing around Westerners. The Chinese don't want to be the Soviets Part II, stalled out and stuck because of a government system that exists as more of an ever present but never effectively lead organization that is unable to effectively project global power. China cannot be the global superpower without establishing an ordered system of structures, a goal not supported by screwing over others just for the jollies of it all.

Actually the Chinese want to be Soviet Union v2.0 the term Middle Kingdom actually means that China is the center of the universe, The long goal is to have China as the global rule with the 'inferior' people (read as non-Han Chinese) as servants of the Han Chinese.

The Chinese have no interest in playing nicely on the world stage, their end goal is to restore China to its proper place as ruler of the known world as it was in ancient times.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Spirited Afternoon Musings:

It again speaks volumes about the way OLC cares about its parks and reinvests that they simply drop a fairly major new attraction announcement when the Disney focus is supposed to be on Shanghai (yeah, I'm sure hearing and reading a lot too ... I must not understand how to find content on the web.) and Anaheim and on a Tomorrowland film, which seems to be getting very mixed reviews.

And while I knew OLC wanted a replacement in the near future for Storm Rider, which is very overrated if you're an American fanboi who has never actually ridden it (think White Arctic at SW), I was surprised by the timing of it right on the heels of their massive recent announcements.

No, I don't have a problem with Nemo. Popular IP (that I happen to enjoy) that has no presence in the resort beyond a Dreamlights parade unit with a sequel coming out in a few years. TDS has always had characters in the park and they in no way overwhelm (beyond Duffy taking over Cape Cod, but that is a phenomenon that ain't going anywhere.)

Again, WDW has four stale theme parks and they hold press events (actually for local bloggingwhores and BRAND advocates) around new timeshares and cupcakes. And so many fans think that's how it's done and how it's supposed to be done. And thanks to the evils of technology, that side will always have a huge advantage.

To those folks who insist (ignorantly, I'll add) that we should all ''move along ... nothing to see here ... or in Shanghai'' and toss out the Occam's Razor line of BS (BTW, heard about the Razor literally once before it became a popular 'net line of explaining away all sorts of things for the Walmart crowd), I'll simply say if you wish to apply the Occam's Razor appropriately to the lack of coverage for all of the bizarre goings-on in and around Disney's entry into the mainland, then the most obvious answer for people like Ben Fritz ignoring all sorts of stories that should be a huge part of him covering TWDC isn't that there's nothing there (that's your own bias likely seeping through). Nope, it's that individuals like him have far, far more to gain by ignoring negative and, potentially explosive, stories on the companies they cover for their own financial/career gain. THAT is the most obvious reason why things don't get covered no matter whether we are talking the White House beat, the General Electric beat, the fracking/oil industry in Oklahoma beat or, yes, the Disney beat. Sorry, folks, but you don't get to have it both ways.

Think of it like this the First Rule of MediaClub is you don't talk about MediaClub. TWDC and WSJ are both fully paid charter members of MediaClub. Back in the old days when WSJ belonged to Dow Jones this probably would have been covered. Now that it belongs to Rupert well let's say it's the old boys club ...

PhotoDave219

Its pretty simple.
People are using the "trigger warning" excuse to blast things they dont like.

Example, a real person who has a real trigger.. will get in a panic attack when something similar (to what hurt the person) happens.
A fine example is the segment of "dynamite gal" from the movie WRECK IT RALPH.

Then theres Aholes who use "dont trigger me" as a way to silence opinions they dislike.. they dont get panic attacks, they just dont like or feel annoyed. Thats why the joke of that image macro was born.
They're mocking the guys who claim they get "triggered" FOR ANYTHING.

So I have to be concerned that people have an inability to control themselves and their behavior?!?

Da heck?

The one thing I was told (repeatedly) by a former boss was that the only thing I can control is how I react to things.

(And it took forever to stick)

KYWDW

Lemas contacted me as well, I think I told you that privately when it happened. It seemed odd that of all the places he could go for info -- you know, like his department head's office -- that he chose to come to this site and contact a few (or more?) prominent posters (I am sure he talked to Jake as well!)

It is very odd.

But I told him what I knew, without revealing sources, and pointed him exactly where he should have gone, where any journalist who was truly seeking the truth would have gone. I even gave my spiel about having worked as a reporter and that he had a major story on his hands. And he wouldn't have had to go far beyond Willow Bay Iger as there were (and remain) professors and other faculty that want her gone that I know would have talked to him.

Not sure where he went with it, if he went anywhere with it.
Almost makes you wonder if he was a minion of Willows.

erider

I'm sad that Storm Rider will be replaced. I have ridden it a couple of times and loved it! Especially the in-cabin effects like the rain and the effect of the weather probe crashing in the cabin. I'm not a fan of the Nemo replacement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom