A Spirited Perfect Ten

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Maybe I'd give her some credit if she said 'why antman instead of black widow?', but to chastize that Thor got a movie but not these lesser characters?
Here's the thing...

If they did make a Black Widow movie...would these people go see it? Probably not.

I knew of this (and Whedon didn't leave Twitter because of them, that's just them looking through their self-important lens of confirmation bias)...and read some different articles about it.

I'm pretty sure they killed more brain cells than the glass of wine I had while reading them the first time.

<trundles off for a beer...or maybe some whiskey, cause I need it now after that>

PhotoDave219

An excerpt from the Mary Sue piece on Marvel and girls. If you needed proof the execs in Burbank think Disney is a "girl's BRAND", look no further.
While working at Marvel post-acquisition, I saw a deck circulated by Disney’s Brand Marketing team. I’m prohibited from sharing the slides, but the takeaway is that, unlike the actual demos, the desired demographics had no females in it whatsoever. I asked my supervisor why that was. Ever the pragmatist, he said, “That’s not why Disney bought us. They already have the girls’ market on lockdown."

I’d entered the comics industry because I was a comics fan. It hurt to see so plainly that to Disney, people like me didn’t matter. My demographic was already giving them money anyway, with Disney Princess purchases. Even now, there’s no incentive to make more Marvel merch for women, because we already buy Brave and Frozen products.

This does not come as a surprise, really. Anyone who knows about branding and marketing can tell you how most gender-skewed business models work (and most businesses are gender-skewed). It starts when we’re babies. Blue for boys, pink for girls. Separate, but equal. Sound familiar?

Disney bought Marvel and Lucasfilm because they wanted to access the male market. To achieve this goal, they allocate less to Marvel’s female demo, and even less to a unisex one. They won’t be interested in changing how they work until consumers understand what’s going on.

Guessing Kevin Fergie wouldn't know a ..... Yeah finish it on your own.

PhotoDave219

Here's the thing...

If they did make a Black Widow movie...would these people go see it? Probably not.

I knew of this (and Whedon didn't leave Twitter because of them, that's just them looking through their self-important lens of confirmation bias)...and read some different articles about it.

I'm pretty sure they killed more brain cells than the glass of wine I had while reading them the first time.

<trundles off for a beer...or maybe some whiskey, cause I need it now after that>

I think Black Widow could hold her own. Has to be better than "Ant-Man"

I dunno why they won't make toys in her likeness.

And I'm drinking a nice Terripan Rye Pale Ale With my pineapple bacon cheeseburger and going to have whiskey later.

englanddg

One Little Spark...

And I'm drinking a nice Terripan Rye Pale Ale With my pineapple bacon cheeseburger and going to have whiskey later.
I think she would too (I'd love to see a gritty origin story, rated R like Deadpool)...

But, that wasn't my question. Would THEY (the social justice warriors) go see it? And, again, I'd say...probably not.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Honest question...who is responsible for the menu and the names of the menu items in a place like Jock Lindsey's or Trader Sam's?

Three hundred and twenty six years ago at the first Fuddruckers, Horace Menu named all the food items with whimsical names to make the locals feel like they were somewhere special. This, by the way, is how a ground beef patty became known as a hamburger (arguably the most whimsical menu item name and the one most likely to cause laughter. "Verily, there's no ham to be found anywhere!" more than one patron has been known to joyfully exclaim). Luckily, Horace was very virile as were most of his descendants (the horrible story of the affair, death, and childless marriage of Mathew and Lorinda Menu is so well known that I feel like there is no need to go over that ground) leading to the current situation of the Menu family naming so-called Menu items all over the world. Currently, at WDW, Phil Menu from Loistown, Kansas is in charge of the names.

doctornick

I'd have no problem with a Black Widow movie -- heck, I thoroughly enjoyed Agent Carter, so I'm all for more Marvel stuff like that -- but Ant Man is far and away a more iconic character and would bring an interesting new power to the movie universe.

The reality is that Marvel comics is kinda sucky when it comes to prominent female superheroes and pretty much the best known ones are tied up with Fox. It's nice that they are doing Captain Marvel, but when that movie is coming out seems pretty much in line with the prominence of that character.

That said, I don't get why they wouldn't market Black Window (and now the Scarlet Witch) more. It's not like you don't see the likes of Princess Leia next to Han Solo on toy shelves.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Here's the thing...

I'd go see a BW movie in a heart beat. I skipped the articles because I'm going to see the movie Saturday night with 80 billion 6th grade boys at my son's birthday party. Gender bias out the ying yang I suppose.

PhotoDave219

I'd have no problem with a Black Widow movie -- heck, I thoroughly enjoyed Agent Carter, so I'm all for more Marvel stuff like that -- but Ant Man is far and away a more iconic character and would bring an interesting new power to the movie universe.

The reality is that Marvel is kinda sucky when it comes to prominent female superheroes and pretty much the best known ones are tied up with Fox. It's nice that they are doing Captain Marvel, but when that movie is coming out seems pretty much in line with the prominence of that character.

That said, I don't get why they wouldn't market Black Window (and now the Scarlet Witch) more. It's not like you don't see the likes of Princess Leia next to Han Solo on toy shelves.

Self fulfilling prophecies. Kevin Fergie doesnt get it.

There's a market for it. See what Ashley Eckstein is doing with HerUniverse. Stuff sells like HotCakes.

ParentsOf4

Hotels generally offer reactive recovery for any loss of accommodations. If the guest never notices lack of monorail transportation because it was available when they needed it, why would Disney give them a rate reduction? So if you were staying at the resort and had issues with monorail transportation, you could talk to Guest Services and receive recovery.
Congratulations, you just passed your final exam to qualify as a Disney Resort hotel manager. :(

Distinguished hotels don't react to customer complaints; they act to prevent them in the first place.

Walt Disney World hotels used to be like this. Now staff (oops, I mean Cast Members) are trained to treat customers (oops, I mean Guests) like the opposing team. It's all about squeezing those pennies to improve margins.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom