A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
We did concierge at the DL hotel for my 40th...got us a more expensive room and access to the concierge lounge which had random food, snacks and drinks and a nice view of the DL fireworks. To be fair, we didn't use if for the other possible concierge amenities but I personally wouldn't pay the price again for what we used or was offered.

I had it there for free for DL's actual 50th a decade ago. I enjoyed it, but there was very little they could do that I couldn't myself. I believe at the time, the lounge was where the old Top of the Park bar once was. Anyone know for sure? @TP2000?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Where are the "came as a kid/now, I'm the parent?" They aren't first timers, they aren't one and done's but they don't fit into any of the frequent categories, and while they may have brand loyalty, it's for the brand as it was when they were kids, not necessarily what the brand is today. They may know little about what happened with Disney between their ages of 15 and 35, but they remember what they saw from 5-15.

And if you are 35 now, your 5-15 year old self lived through Eisner's arrival kicking off with DL's 30th, EO, Star Tours, Splash, Disney Decade stuff, finishing up with Tower of Terror and Indiana Jones out at DL. Then you turn out the light for 20 years, when you turn it back on, where do you expect Disney to be? Someone mentioned coming off Imagination restraining themselves from the string of obscenities, because they had missed how much that ride had been changed. It's why I ruffle when people say that people who come infrequently don't see the changes. Coming infrequently can lead to big culture shocks, because it's not just, "a little thing here, a little thing there," it's like 20 things all at once.

I kind of suspect that this group is a primary driver for current attendance growth, a wave of eggs that has been incubating for 20 years, now starting to hatch. I would guess there was high satisfaction among those impressionable visitors and they've just been waiting for the day to return. It's not anything Disney has done recently, it's just the age demo is in their favor right now, and the day has come. The wave is far from over, so I would expect to see continued "record breaking attendance", but think it isn't wise to infer that because people came, that they must be happy with how Disney is now. Satisfaction of this returning bunch will show up in future bookings, and future "eggs." I think Disney's been playing with fire, but we will see.

Yep. Thanks. That's another group I missed. I also missed the BRAND addicts who aren't Lifestylers/bloggers etc.

Just adding those two gives me 10 categories of visitors, all with sub-sets.

Like I said, it isn't easy to compartmentalize every WDW visitor neatly into 2-3-4-5 groups. It doesn't give an accurate picture at all.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So how do you feel for those CR guests who paid full price and then had that main differentiator (monorail) not available to them? Funny how Disney didn't change their rates or services when they reduced the availability of that main differentiator huh?

Disney promotes the deluxes as that.. their DELUXE product. Sure they charge more for location, but they generally offer the same services across the different deluxe properties.

Or people who stayed at the Poly when the pool wasn't available and got one (or multiple) ticket to BB instead. Or people who stayed there when jackhammers were being used at 1 a.m. (something I witnessed on TWO different visits, four months apart)?
Or people who had to dine in the cast cafeteria because the Captain Cook's location was closed?

Oh, and all who had the same monorail issues you mentioned.

In the REAL world, the Poly would have either closed entirely for a year to 18 months for a redo ... or Guests would have gotten huge discounts ... think $99-150 a night rooms because they were staying in a construction zone.

But only Disney could get away with this ... only Disney.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Yep. Thanks. That's another group I missed. I also missed the BRAND addicts who aren't Lifestylers/bloggers etc.

Just adding those two gives me 10 categories of visitors, all with sub-sets.

Like I said, it isn't easy to compartmentalize every WDW visitor neatly into 2-3-4-5 groups. It doesn't give an accurate picture at all.

Well, if you had access to all the MM- data, you'd be able to mine the info you require... Wasn't that a key element of the separate the "cash from wallet" feature?

*1023*

P.S. Anyone have thoughts on getting a project through the development gauntlet for TV or Movies?

Stevek

I had it there for free for DL's actual 50th a decade ago. I enjoyed it, but there was very little they could do that I couldn't myself. I believe at the time, the lounge was where the old Top of the Park bar once was. Anyone know for sure? @TP2000?
Did some quick research and yes, the Concierge lounge now sits where the old Top of the Park bar used to be located.

Cesar R M

Ugh....I hate those stupid turtles.
:banghead:
mickeywtfisthis.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
You can still walk to MK. Can't do that from the Ritz Carlton. Even without the monorail you would still be paying for location. Maybe not quite as much. Maybe just Wilderness Lodge rates.

But that's just it... no such adjustments have been made or compensation offered.

Its pretty sad because Disney used to be THE model for customer service... now, it's middle of the pack at best.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There really is more to a vacation, even a WDW vacation than being able to walk to the overrated Ghetto Kingdom. Really!
I don't disagree, but we are obviously in the minority. There are enough people that are willing to pay a location premium to stay at CR. If it wasn't about location and people were just looking for a "deluxe" Disney resort then AKL would be the most popular resort with the highest prices. Instead it has amongst the lowest priced of the deluxes.
But that's just it... no such adjustments have been made or compensation offered.

Its pretty sad because Disney used to be THE model for customer service... now, it's middle of the pack at best.
There is a range at the deluxe resorts. They aren't priced exactly the same and the non-monorail resorts are generally cheaper followed by EPCOT resorts then WL and AKL. They still aren't adjusted down to prices for off property hotels.

Funmeister

Technology has come a long way since then, and the advancement in tracking and gps routing is way way better then the crap of 15 and 5 years ago.

You are correct! I agree with you!

BUT...

If you have an incompetent team in charge of implementing, you can have the best and latest technology in the world and it will not matter.

The problem is or was never the technology. The problem is the culture of (upper) management implementing and operating the technology.

Bairstow

You know, you could do some pretty fun things with a themed Ninja Turtle attraction, no matter which version was used.

I suppose they're just a fad, but they're a fad that seems to have a rather successful revival every generation.

There's never been one before other than the thing at Mall of America, has there?

hqdefault.jpg

MKCP 1985

Somewhere along the way, Disney (c) traded its commitment to be the model of service and quality for being biggest and richest. Maybe it was when ABC was purchased. I dunno.

There are companies that run better hotels - I think we have established that by now.

Disney provides a great vacation but its physical growth in the past several years has come with some sacrifice of commitment to having only the best of everything. Now it has the most, I suppose. Most expensive, certainly! :D

Funmeister

Somewhere along the way, Disney (c) traded its commitment to be the model of service and quality for being biggest and richest. Maybe it was when ABC was purchased. I dunno.

There are companies that run better hotels - I think we have established that by now.

Disney provides a great vacation but its physical growth in the past several years has come with some sacrifice of commitment to having only the best of everything. Now it has the most, I suppose. Most expensive, certainly! :D

I think one of the first signs of Disney service decline was years ago (around 2000or before I believe) the Grand Flo started charging for valet parking. It's a business. Sure. I get it.

The reasoning was given that Disney was just following the trends of the resort industry and charging for valet parking had become common.

I remember a time when Disney used to set trends for the industry instead of following it.

Disney was special because it did business to the beat of it's own drum that others copied.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom