A Spirited Perfect Ten

gmajew

Premium Member
It's not about personal opinion of subject matter - or how much one likes it - just the Wizard of Oz finale elevates it past a D-ticket, even if the ride itself is need of updating in some places (which it's getting). Half the crap on Splash is broken, but Disney's neglect doesn't change it from being an E-ticket.

So says the the all knowing and masterful. Don't disagree with him or he will ask you to go to the adult room. Or wait he thinks he is the adult....

AEfx

Yes? As I said, I don't care for Soarin', but that does not mean it's not an E-ticket. My opinion and personal enjoyment of the subject matter, or in that case, the ride system, does not mean that I run around saying "It snot 'n E-ticket becawz eye down't wike it!"

So says the the all knowing and masterful. Don't disagree with him or he will ask you to go to the adult room. Or wait he thinks he is the adult....

No, WE are in the adult room. I didn't ask you to go there. If you are going to try to return my snark, come on...at least understand the joke.

MerlinTheGoat

GMR might have been an E ticket caliber attraction 20 years ago. Today, the only reason it would make me say 'wow' today is in 'wow, this feels pretty dated.'

Agree on Mermaid and Mine Train (that graphic is so depressing, @Mike S ) not meeting the same level of Splash.

But I do think meet and greets like Anna/Elsa would definitely be E tickets if the books were still used today. It might not be solely defined by it's newness and popularity, but it does factor in.
It might could use some updates, but I still really enjoy GMR and don't find it boring.

The thing about the book system is that the idea of what constitutes ticket status has changed in Disney's view. They tried to hype Mermaid as an E ticket lite, though internally they considered it a D (and to most objective long time fans it's considered a C). I'm also dubious of their leaked Avatar blueprints referring to what appears to be a slightly souped up Soarin ride as an E, and the boat ride as a C...hm (also has me worried of the boat ride's quality because i'm really looking forward to that one, simulators aren't the biggest deal for me).

The way they handle meet and greets is also dramatically different than they used to be. Characters walked around more and they didn't much use a standard queue when they greeted people. They were basically more like streetmosphere rather than letter ranked attractions. It almost felt like the characters were park guests themselves actually (long ago they sometimes even rode the rides alongside guests), like celebrities. And yes I did like it better that way (particularly since they didn't waste immense chunks of real estate or old unused ride building on them).

Skippy

My opinion and personal enjoyment of the subject matter, or in that case, the ride system, does not mean that I run around saying "It snot 'n E-ticket becawz eye down't wike it!"
My apologies. Could you please point me to a ticket book circa 2015 that describes these rides as certified E Tickets instead of opinionated claims that they should be?

AndyMagic

GMR might have been an E ticket caliber attraction 20 years ago. Today, the only reason it would make me say 'wow' today is in 'wow, this feels pretty dated.'

Agree on Mermaid and Mine Train (that graphic is so depressing, @Mike S ) not meeting the same level of Splash.

But I do think meet and greets like Anna/Elsa would definitely be E tickets if the books were still used today. It might not be solely defined by it's newness and popularity, but it does factor in.

When it opened GMR was definitely an E-ticket in terms of scope, cost, and ambition but I'd argue the ride never truly captured the magic of cinema in the way it was meant to. Even at its peak, the ride suffered from bizarre pacing, awkward stunts, and a general lack of immersion that resulted from the desire to cram as much popular film titles into the ride as possible. The huge exception to that lack of immersion is of course the Wizard of Oz sequence which even today is a marvelous display of Disney magic.

Skippy

It might could use some updates, but I still really enjoy GMR and don't find it boring.
I enjoy it too. Never said it was boring. But to think it would be an E ticket today.. (and what would be the others in the park? TSMM, ToT, RnRC, maybe ST?)

The way they handle meet and greets is also dramatically different than they used to be. Characters walked around more and they didn't much use a standard queue when they greeted people. They were basically streetmosphere rather than letter ranked attractions. It almost felt like the characters were park guests themselves (long ago they sometimes even rode the rides alongside guests), though like celebrities. And yes I did like it better that way (particularly since they didn't waste immense chunks of real estate or old unused ride building on them).
Completely agree.

gmajew

Premium Member

The thing about the book system is that the idea of what constitutes ticket status has changed in Disney's view. They tried to hype Mermaid as an E ticket lite, though internally they considered it a D (and to most objective long time fans it's considered a C). I'm also dubious of their leaked Avatar blueprints referring to what appears to be a slightly souped up Soarin ride as an E, and the boat ride as a C...hm (also has me worried of the boat ride's quality because i'm really looking forward to that one, simulators aren't the biggest deal for me).

The way they handle meet and greets is also dramatically different than they used to be. Characters walked around more and they didn't much use a standard queue when they greeted people. They were basically streetmosphere rather than letter ranked attractions. It almost felt like the characters were park guests themselves (long ago they sometimes even rode the rides alongside guests), though like celebrities. And yes I did like it better that way (particularly since they didn't waste immense chunks of real estate or old unused ride building on them).

The meet and greets have gotten out of hand like the selfie craze it is just nuts.

Part of me think the meet and greets have gotten to this point because of the potential for lawsuits and they now need to be so scripted and video in case anything happen.

No proof just me as a business man that gets sued for stupid crap daily that customers do.

gmajew

Premium Member
When it opened GMR was definitely an E-ticket in terms of scope, cost, and ambition but I'd argue the ride never truly captured the magic of cinema in the way it was meant to. Even at its peak, the ride suffered from bizarre pacing, awkward stunts, and a general lack of immersion that resulted from the desire to cram as much popular film titles into the ride as possible. The huge exception to that lack of immersion is of course the Wizard of Oz sequence which even today is a marvelous display of Disney magic.

Even on this ride did Disney not make cuts to other show scenes? The oz scene is very cool best part of the ride.

Skippy

The meet and greets have gotten out of hand like the selfie craze it is just nuts.
Part of me think the meet and greets have gotten to this point because of the potential for lawsuits and they now need to be so scripted and video in case anything happen.
I believe out west they have much less 'controlled' environments for their character appearances (at least some like Alice and the Mad Hatter in Fantasyland). You obviously couldn't have Anna/Elsa walk around.

Skippy

Even on this ride did Disney not make cuts to other show scenes? The oz scene is very cool best part of the ride.
Wizard of Oz was supposed to have another scene after the Munchkins (into Oz I think). It got cut, but I am not sure if it was due to budget or MGM not giving the go ahead.

Expo_Seeker40

@WDW1974 I thought your spirited presence would have been with the lifetstylers blogging from DL's HM today?
image.jpg

gmajew

Premium Member
I believe out west they have much less 'controlled' environments for their character appearances (at least some like Alice and the Mad Hatter in Fantasyland). You obviously couldn't have Anna/Elsa walk around.

They still have those at MK. But people don't go crazy trying to get to them. Like Anna and Elsa Disney needs the super meet and greets just to keep the crazy from doing crap.

PhotoDave219

Already covered that. ;)

Do you think that GMR is a D-ticket?

I have a feeling these kids would say that Horizons wasn't an E-ticket.

I would categorize it as a D-Ticket but a Headliner attraction as @lentesta's books use to put it. Its something you have to see at DHS but for me, it doesnt reach E-Ticket status.

I dont remember Horizons. Sadly.

articos

I agree with some/most of this, but I disagree with lack of immersion and the intent. The Alien sequence? Total immersion. Raiders? Same. When it's running properly with the right cast members, it has the ability to be exactly the ride that was intended - not total immersion in all of the scenes, but a loving homage to cinema, sometimes putting you inside the picture, other times offering a nostalgic glimpse, on a ride through the movies that was - in its day - a very long, very impressive marquee attraction.

articos

I would categorize it as a D-Ticket but a Headliner attraction as @lentesta's books use to put it. Its something you have to see at DHS but for me, it doesnt reach E-Ticket status.

I dont remember Horizons. Sadly.
These days, I'd also put GMR as a D-Ticket, and not a headliner since Tower appeared. Horizons would still be considered an E, I think, but it would still be a much lesser draw than TT next door, due to the thrill component. It's the same comparison as SSE would be - SSE is an E, but not the top draw. I would actually consider Track a D, if we're going on theming + headlining.

Skippy

When it's running properly with the right cast members, it has the ability to be exactly the ride that was intended
Honestly and unfortunately the biggest compliant I would levy on GMR is the wooden delivery from CMs far too often. One of the first lines is about how much the guide loves the movies. Too often they can't even make me believe that, so when it comes to the replacement/reappearance scenes there is not much hope for me to feel immersed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom