A Spirited Perfect Ten

Mike S

Yeah I agree.

If they set it up so that it's a "Nintendo Land" and you can ride Super Mario Bros, then can go over to a Zelda attraction, just like you can ride Peter Pan, then go to Winnie the Pooh in Fantasyland, that would be pretty cool.
Yeah. I would LOVE to have whole lands dedicated to Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. (what Nintendo fan wouldn't?!?!?!) but I also see how that might not be the most practical thing for Universal to do. Just give some great rides and I'll be happy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah if anything Nintendo Land in KidZone will be more Fantasyland than Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and I'm completely ok with that :)
Yes. This was my main point. I don't see it as building a land based on the environment of a specific game (like Potter) but more of a Nintendo land with various games represented. Very similar to Fantasyland.
Hyrule is Link's (from Zelda) originating land in most of the iterations.

are you dodging the question? you said you played Zelda, yet you do not know Hyrule.
Yet we're discussing he potential lands that could be added to the theme park.

:facepalm:

Let's hope they have a good plan to make it work.

There are some potential areas that seem generic in these games that might be the most recognizable ( like Bowser's Castle, Zelda's Water Temple or Mirror World, Metroid's Zebes planet, Mario Kart's Rainbow Road, Star Fox's Corneria..etc.. )
I thought I already explained myself, but let me try again. I played Zelda on Nintendo. Regular Nintendo in the 80s. I played it a lot. I didn't remember that the land was called Hyrule. Nobody caught me in a big lie. There was no conspiracy going on. I'm honestly not sure why that's such a big deal. If you want to laugh at me and mock my opinions because I didn't remember the name of the land in a game I played 20 years ago then have at it. Enjoy yourselves. I'm not a gamer now and my kids have a play station so we can't get any Nintendo games. I'm not even sure why it really matters if someone even played the game. There are people here who never saw a Harry Potter movie or read a book (including the boss). Does that mean they aren't allowed to have an opinion on what goes into the Potter parts of a theme park?

For me the charactersfrom those games are far more memorable than the lands. I'd rather see them focus on several rides based on different games than try to build the land of Hyrule. It sounds like maybe that's the way they are going with this, but maybe not. They could pick one game and build a "Harry Potter style" land based on it.

PhotoDave219

I have no issues with your or anyone else opinion's about food. In fact, in general, from the late 90s until now I agree. Although it isn't as bad as the mid 00s and is getting better in my opinion.

Well better in some respects. The menus are still too small IMO and the quality of items just arent what they used to be. I mean, when was the last time you saw the Bourbon Marinated NY Strip at Yachtsman?

They're trending in a better direction.... but I'm not holding my breath.

And now I need to go marinade a NY strip for 24 hours.

71jason

That will be history and part of the new area. I've never actually seen that show (faboi friends have tried to talk me into it). I'd never known what it even looked like except it is used as a queue for HHNs annually.

With minimal lighting, the sets are creepy as hell. More frightening than most scare-zones.

I saw the show once, at my ex's urging, because she insisted her kids (then 6 and 8) loved it. I though they might be a little old for it, but she insisted they weren't.

Cue the middle of the show. Kids are fidgeting bored; I think Christian was counting the ceiling tiles. But my ex was singing and clapping along. And I realized the kids just lied and they liked it because they knew their mom was so into it.

NearTheEars

Well better in some respects. The menus are still too small IMO and the quality of items just arent what they used to be. I mean, when was the last time you saw the Bourbon Marinated NY Strip at Yachtsman?

They're trending in a better direction.... but I'm not holding my breath.

And now I need to go marinade a NY strip for 24 hours.

I think the QS menus are way too small, but as far as TS, especially in World Showcase, I can see why they keep them small. I think it would be tough to have a broad menu with international cuisine that many Americans are afraid to try.

It's unfortunate, but for many, stepping into World Showcase is their first experience with other cultures.

(Yes I'm outrageously generalizing with the last comment, but I'm sure old Mr. @WDW1974 has made similar statements.)

Lee

Adventurer
Spirited Laugher of the Day:

OK, y'all (or likely a few of you) may have a recollection of Lee MacDonald. He was the publisher/owner of the truly quality publication Tales From the Laughing Place years ago. A fanzine that sorta died soon after D23 began publishing a much lower quality BRAND advocating product.

Leemac and I used to butt heads frequently on anotherdisneyplace.com's discussion boards because his views were so politicized and he always was on the side of anyone who had power at the moment. He also had strong dislike of top popular creatives such as John Lasseter and Tony Baxter. He worked as a contractor for Disney in a limited number-crunching role that he turned into a huge gadfly opportunity. In other words, he was great at sounding like he knew what he was talking on any Disney topic about because he'd take some gossip, mix in a healthy dose of industry jargon and top off with the agenda of the people he was most closely working for/with.

I only bring him up because he's been doing quite a bit of yacking (as my Spirited grandfather was fond of saying) about yours truly and the news I have broken and/or spread here on MAGIC regarding Disney's developments overseas. In other words, he -- like so many out there in the fan community and with Disney and UNI -- just can't quit me. I suppose I should be flattered.

What I find astounding is that Lee has apparently -- while putting down former Shanghai Disney GM and President of the Walt Disney Holding Company of Shanghai Mike Crawford in his typical uppity UK way -- said that not only was the Four Seasons position not created expressly for Crawford (it was) but that he himself was asked to interview for the job and declined because he lacked the requisite 'skill set.'

Yes, it's preposterous.

I'm often accused of having a large ego (amongst other large things) and being a narcissist, but I almost couldn't stop laughing when I heard of something so utterly over the top. Perhaps, he's looking for me to head back to LP.com and add some traffic and excitement to a dead site (or that could be my ego talking). But, really, making crap like that up just shows how some of the former 'mighty' voices of the Early Disney Internet Fan Community have struggled to find relevance in this decade. FWIW, my old pal Georgie K did try and get me to come and work at Disney multiple times. But he never offered me his old position as EPCOT VP, nor did I refuse said imaginary offer because my skill set wasn't a good fit. And Michael Eisner never offered me a position with Disney at all, but he did offer me some amazing Chinese food from a place in Westwood once.

The job offer Leemac is crowing about is about as real as his office at Disney's Asia Pacific HQ in Hong Kong. Yeah, it doesn't exist either.

As we have a troll in our midst yet again, I thought it was fitting to talk a bit about people who truly know what they are talking about ... and those who simply sound like authorities (for slow people that might be someone like a Jim Hill). You take a take a grain of truth amidst a desert of sand and concoct a rational sounding narrative around it.

That's not me. That's not folks here like @Lee and @whylightbulb and @articos and @marni1971 and @ParentsOf4 and multiple others I am failing to list.

Now, I need to return a phone call from Bill Davis. Maybe he'll make me head of UNI's new water park so I can take over the entire resort in 2020.
Great post, sir.

They wanted Lee MacDonald, the accountant from London, to interview for that job in Shanghai?

Yeah....right...:hilarious:

In the words of a little kid I know, "That sounds made-up."

FlaMel

Putting aside the Nintendo talk and speculation for a bit...
(Maybe all the this game/that game tell could use another thread...)

This article that Spirit posted yesterday is quite interesting and worthy of discussion.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2015/05/08/universal-orlando-reign-of-kong-disney-rival/

This is a short but good read. Like any game, let the other team have too many unanswered points, and you lose the game. Disney's great hope is that they have the resources to get back in the game. I hope they don't rest on their memories of glory days.

doctornick

This is a short but good read. Like any game, let the other team have too many unanswered points, and you lose the game. Disney's great hope is that they have the resources to get back in the game. I hope they don't rest on their memories of glory days.

Disney doesn't need to "get back in the game" which implies they are "losing" -- Disney is not "losing", they are doing exceeding well despite not investing in the theme parks to a significant degree. The issue is that they need to invest not to "catch up" to Uni but to maintain their dominance in the Orlando market and keep their reputation as a "must do" rite of passage for all families.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom