A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

Remember that time when Bob Iger went ballistic on the congressman who questioned MyMagic's privacy implications?

http://deadline.com/2013/01/disney-...ngressman-ed-markey-magicband-privacy-415038/

I wonder if after that they went back to the drawing board and cancelled some of the more controversial tracking and analytics benefits from the project in order to duck the political heat. I could see that causing Palantir to be left out of later implementations, even if they had been working with Disney on the early versions.

Well they make databases that find connections and the whatnot. (So says their website and public info thats come out)

So i can see the usefulness of that sorta database.... just they've been very hush-hush about the analytical and behind the scenes applications.

Of course, I'd be less curious if ... I dunno... maybe I had a Star Wars land to talk about? But no. No I don't. So instead I have to wonder about NSA/CIA contractors were doing with Disney and their next gen project.... or even if it continued onward.

With no news coming out these days about anything Disney is doing at WDW, one can only imagine the stuff @WDW1974 is gonna wonder about.

PhotoDave219

The third gate would be great, but until then you can get a general lift by doing little things to encourage the centre of gravity to shift upwards, and that's what I think Universal is doing.

Disney is centred on the once-in-a-lifetime guest, spending a fortune on overpriced products because they're unlikely to come back, and trying to convince people there's nothing worth seeing off-property.

Universal seems to be taking the opposite approach. Instead of trying to get people to blow thousands of dollars on a one-off vacation, they want people to see Orlando as somewhere where - if you only do a couple of days at Disney and don't stay in WDW - a vacation doesn't have to break the bank. With this in mind it's no biggie if only part of the vacation is spent in Universal's parks, and if they are taking a percentage, no matter how small, of room rates, that's a bonus.

By building something new every year, they guarantee people spend at least one day in their parks, but by encouraging a more general trend of visits in that part, even being comfortable with people heading off to Sea World, or the malls, or I-Drive... while you wait for the timing to be right to build a third gate, you're subtly training people to visit more often and always taking some of their dollars, even if not a huge amount.

Then when you do open your third gate, boom you have the hotels and infrastructure ready, and suddenly you look like WDW North overnight.

FOUR. Disney World has FOUR parks.

BrerJon

FOUR. Disney World has FOUR parks.

We weren't talking about Disney, we were talking about Universal, and the need to build a third gate there or not. Whether Disney already has four is irrelevant, what's more important is how much time either area of Orlando can take out of a vacation.

Disneyland only has two parks, but the combined attraction total is more than all four Florida parks put together.

cdd89

Attraction totals are a bit of an irrelevance, in my opinion. Not a complete irrelevance... but if you were judging parks based on E-Ticket totals, then WDS would be one of Disney's best theme parks. People may go for the attractions, but they stay and return for the ambience.

Revisiting Universal was an interesting experience, in that I disliked it. And that's despite enjoying it when I visited for the first time a year or so ago (I disliked Sea World the first time around). The problem is that the attractions are impressive (and there are more than enough of them), but then there's no way to escape it and nowhere to relax. The CityWalk (which should fill that purpose) is even more intense, in the sense that it has little to offer and therefore compensates with loud music, bright video screens and people trying to sell you yellow flashing things.

What I'm getting at is - I have no idea what kind of person would like to stay on-site at Universal... and a third, attraction-heavy park along the same lines as the first two is not the answer to Universal's problems as a resort. For all the deficiencies in WDW's individual parks, I would argue that it as a whole has the best "tranquil sense of place" of any theme park resort I've visited, with HKDL being a close second. Not anything that the current (or even previous) management was responsible for... and yet that experience is something you miss out on almost entirely as an off-site WDW guest who "just visits the parks". Perhaps I'm not really Universal's target audience, but it seems to me they're targeting the First-Time Once-in-a-Lifetime guests just as much as Disney are (if not more so).

Nubs70

Well they make databases that find connections and the whatnot. (So says their website and public info thats come out)

So i can see the usefulness of that sorta database.... just they've been very hush-hush about the analytical and behind the scenes applications.

Of course, I'd be less curious if ... I dunno... maybe I had a Star Wars land to talk about? But no. No I don't. So instead I have to wonder about NSA/CIA contractors were doing with Disney and their next gen project.... or even if it continued onward.

With no news coming out these days about anything Disney is doing at WDW, one can only imagine the stuff @WDW1974 is gonna wonder about.
WDW - The World's Most MAGICal Petri Dish.

Funmeister

We weren't talking about Disney, we were talking about Universal, and the need to build a third gate there or not. Whether Disney already has four is irrelevant, what's more important is how much time either area of Orlando can take out of a vacation.

Disneyland only has two parks, but the combined attraction total is more than all four Florida parks put together.

You have to type slower for some people.

PhotoDave219

Oh. Then let me steer you to Orlando United instead.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom