A Spirited Perfect Ten

71jason

Avatar is completely 2011. Ancient history.

A great Nathan Rabin article discussing how Avatar never really made a lasting dent on the public consciousness (with links to two other articles that make essentially the same argument).

https://thedissolve.com/features/fo...s-rapid-rise-sudden-downfall-and-endless-bil/

(The rest of the series isn't Disney-related, but an interesting look at pop culture in general--I particularly liked the Billy Jack and Ten entries. A reminder what's hot today might be completely forgotten in 20 years.)

71jason

What's your theory on why they're so crowded if it's the same people? Just because it's concentrated all at DHS?

Yes. And because they're not hanging by the pool or watching Netflix or working (yes, I know CMs who adjust their schedules around SWW). When they come out in force--like SWW or the Villain Party--it can stress a park, particularly a low-capacity one. Again, see HHN. But any given day, most of the people we're talking about aren't in a park.

Iwerks64

Your Daily Spirited China Musing:

Word from the Far East is that Disney is shooting to open its Shanghai Disney Store (what will be the world's largest) the week of May 18th to piggyback on the kickoff of DL's 60th Diamond Anniversary Celebration.

Dang, I'll just miss it. I'll be in Shanghai the week of the 11th, heading to Hong Kong for the week of the 18th. I'll have to wait until the next trip now.

doctornick

Well that seals it. Our planned 2016 Fall Disney trip will now be cut down to allow for at least two days at Universal. Was already contemplating doing this anyhow, but that Kong announcement seals it. Not sure my kids (will be aged 7 and 4 at the time) will be able to ride it. But I sure as hell will enjoy it.

We went to Uni last summer with kids who were 4 and 6 (my 6 year old is kinda short for his age though and was only ~44" at the time). They didn't enjoy it as much as I thought they would. There is a bunch they couldn't ride due to height restrictions -- and they kept asking to go on all the roller coasters that they could see -- and both got kinda scared by rides like Spider-Man and Transformers (which I thought they would love); it's not the motion but the "intense" scenes that seemed to get them. Rider swap was also a bit of an issue, as my 4 year old in particular got freaked out just waiting in the queues (e.g. Forbidden Journey) and wanted to leave the line; he also didn't want to ride Gringott's despite being tall enough because of how dark and foreboding the queue was.

The irony is that my kids love roller coasters and things that throw them around. But rides that are dark seem to get them.

They liked the Suess rides, Hippogriff, Jurassic Park, Popeye, Minions, MiB and the Kidzone rides. But it wasn't as much stuff as they like at Disney.

Uni is great, so this is not meant to disparage it, but I would just be cautious with kids that age and your expectations. Of course, you know your kids best.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh. Then let me steer you to Orlando United instead.....
I got what you were saying the first time. We do get off on tangents about Uni in this thread. Not a whole lot of constructive discussion about WDW these days.

The Flyers need to bring up the young defenseman now. They need more speed on the blue line and can't sign anyone because of the cap. And get Vinny off the 4th line. At least to showcase him so someone might be dumb enough to trade for him and take that contract.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sometime it would be nice to see this so called 'recovery...' Let's see labor participation down to the lowest level since records kept, real wages down 5% since the start of the recovery, more businesses closing than opening, Oh and the so called factory output number has been juked too as electric power generation and fast food sales are considered 'manufacturing'.

The BRAVO-SIERRA coming out of DC reminds me of the good old days of listening to Radio Moscow touting historic agricultural production levels while buying most of their wheat from the US, Argentina and Canada.

Amerika reminds me more of the old Soviet Union every day especially the fake news coming from the major broadcasters. Real news these days comes from overseas...
The only economic stats that are relevant to the discussion are Orlando tourism numbers. They are up. Way up compared to post 9/11 and 2008. Leaving out the political rhetoric, the economy had recovered for whoever is now visiting Orlando. It's time to make a big splash and invest heavily there.

Fe Maiden

I can't stop laughing about the Pronger salary hit. He was a bum long before Comcast signed him.

Oh c'mon he was not a bum when they signed him. Near the tail end of his career? Certainly, but he was a driving force in the 2010 cup run and would have had a few more good years if his eye wasn't carved out of his face.

The_Mesh_Hatter

What really gets me is the notion that it should rival stuff like Splash Mountain or Indiana Jones Adventure. It's a Fantasyland dark ride. What do you believe Disney was intending to do with Little Mermaid? If you expected an E-ticket, then you're exactly the person I was referring to when I couldn't ever hope to take you seriously. I was under the impression that their goals were something along the lines of: Maintaining the classic Fantasyland style dark ride, but use upgraded projection effects and new style animatronics along with an omni-mover ride system to help with capacity. Honestly, other than perhaps Hunny Hunt at Tokyo, is there a better dark ride in Fantasyland around the globe? Spare me with the sub 3 minute "classics" that either use press board cutouts or static figures.

Fantasyland dark rides that are at or above Little Mermaid's level-
Not Winnie the Pooh
Not Snow White
Not Peter Pan (possibly DL's after the update but we'll see)
Not Alice in Wonderland
Not Mr Toad's Wild RIde
Not Storybookland
Not Casey Jr

I guess you could say Small World is, but I don't even know if that's a fair comparison. I love them as much as the next guy, but lets get real- Mermaid is far more cohesive and impressive in comparison. And the notion that DIsney/Guests were "unhappy with it's presentation" so it needed to be closed/refurbished and changed- good for them. They corrected their errors and turned a good ride into a great one. It's been "plussed" within the first few years instead of having to wait decades for a update like Peter Pan, Indy, Mansion, Pirates, Small World and all of the other major Disney e-tickets have received as of late. They just got those issues ironed out when the rides creator still had the authority to correct them, instead of waiting 40 some odd years to do so like it took for Haunted Mansion's hatbox ghost. ;)

Just because a ride is "cheaper" doesn't mean it is inferior. Disney has forgotten what makes its rides fun. No one goes on a ride and thinks "Oh that was so much fun because it was 7 whole minutes and i thad x amount of animatronics!" Guests could give a damn how much Disney spends on a ride or how "elaborate" it is. What matters is how fun it is. And the truth is, the Little Mermaid is boring. There is nothing to compare to the build up of flying over London in Peter Pan, or the great views afforded by Alice in Wonderland. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is a classic simply because its fun. No one complains about the cut outs because it is a well designed attraction that was designed by people who actually understood the psychology behind why guests enjoy theme park attractions. I could go on and on, but "good" =/= high tech animatronics and highly decorated show scenes. There's a reason why one of Disneyland's most popular rides is a simplistic roller coaster through a dark void: it's fun.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just because a ride is "cheaper" doesn't mean it is inferior. Disney has forgotten what makes its rides fun. No one goes on a ride and thinks "Oh that was so much fun because it was 7 whole minutes and i thad x amount of animatronics!" Guests could give a damn how much Disney spends on a ride or how "elaborate" it is. What matters is how fun it is. And the truth is, the Little Mermaid is boring. There is nothing to compare to the build up of flying over London in Peter Pan, or the great views afforded by Alice in Wonderland. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is a classic simply because its fun. No one complains about the cut outs because it is a well designed attraction that was designed by people who actually understood the psychology behind why guests enjoy theme park attractions. I could go on and on, but "good" =/= high tech animatronics and highly decorated show scenes. There's a reason why one of Disneyland's most popular rides is a simplistic roller coaster through a dark void: it's fun.

Exactly, Spend != FUN.

SJN1279

I just read that Disneyland Paris is getting an updated Jedi Academy show for the summer. What is the chance that comes to WDW in the short order?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hood blimp, Monster.com blimp or just the DrunkyWay effect.

I'll thinking the DrunkyWay effect (for non-locals Yawkey Way and Landsdowne Street) Completely dwarfs any Disney DrunkyTown story thousands of drunks looking for the next beer, Looks like a scene from the Walking Dead...

Hood Blimp is a good second choice with beer goggles... since it's lighted from inside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom