A Spirited Perfect Ten

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think WDW pushed pretty hard to ensure Gibson did NOT enforce a dress code, Yet V&A has one and they do not lack for business. Just for the lack of a dress code I think I'll skip 'The Boathouse' If I'm paying for fine dining I want the full experience not a bunch of people in shorts and 'I'm with Stupid T-shirts'.

As to the 'dockside bar' I've been on Nantucket on during the Figawi race weekends and they enforce a dress code casual but still a dress code.

Why would Disney push them to not have a DressCode? plenty of other WDW restaurants have them. Wether they are enforced or not is a different issue all together.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It is not a fine dining restaurant. They use signature dining as its category. The environment is casual, which is perfect for its location.

Your loss if you skip it, as its one of the best.

A place where a steak is north of 100 bucks is fine dining whatever Disney chooses to call it, It probably IS good but I have certain expectations at price points like that one of those is a dress code. Even while at WDW I have a sport coat on hand.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Why would Disney push them to not have a DressCode? plenty of other WDW restaurants have them. Wether they are enforced or not is a different issue all together.

The DDP crowd in two words, What Disney forgets by attempting to cater to this crowd they will probably keep the ones who pay cash away. As soon as I heard 'The Boathouse' did not have a dress code I crossed it off my list of things to do next trip.

The whole purpose of a dress code is to set up expectations of a certain level of behavior and most really good restaurants with a dress code have sport coats to lend in the event the diner forgot theirs. Fine dining done well is a show in it's own right.

I don't even know if 'The Boathouse' accepts DDP but other than for informational purposes I don't care any longer.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The steaks start at $39. The top end is a $115 steak for two.

That's a fine dining price point on par with fine dining chains like Ruth Chris or Shulas both of which have wait for it, Dress codes!.

I'm equally happy eating roadside barbeque in Texas or eating at a fine restaurant and both places have their own version of a dress code, If you are wearing khaki's and an oxford shirt at the Roadside BBQ you are going to draw unwelcome attention, Jeans and a western shirt are appropriate attire there. At fine dining establishment well Khakis and a oxford shirt are probably the minimum.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The DDP crowd in two words, What Disney forgets by attempting to cater to this crowd they will probably keep the ones who pay cash away. As soon as I heard 'The Boathouse' did not have a dress code I crossed it off my list of things to do next trip.

The whole purpose of a dress code is to set up expectations of a certain level of behavior and most really good restaurants with a dress code have sport coats to lend in the event the diner forgot theirs. Fine dining done well is a show in it's own right.

I don't even know if 'The Boathouse' accepts DDP but other than for informational purposes I don't care any longer.
No DDP at the Boathouse.

A dress code would be completely wrong for The Boathouse - they've got it right.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
That's a fine dining price point on par with fine dining chains like Ruth Chris or Shulas both of which have wait for it, Dress codes!.

I'm equally happy eating roadside barbeque in Texas or eating at a fine restaurant and both places have their own version of a dress code, If you are wearing khaki's and an oxford shirt at the Roadside BBQ you are going to draw unwelcome attention, Jeans and a western shirt are appropriate attire there. At fine dining establishment well Khakis and a oxford shirt are probably the minimum.
Do you classify the Brown Derby as fine dining? They charge $45 for a filet, compared to $39 at the Boathouse. So do you break out the dress code at the Brown Derby? or how about Le Cellier, where the filet is $49?

I'm all for fine dining and dress codes. But no WDW restaurant is fine dining (expect V&A).

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

No DDP at the Boathouse.

The restaurant isn't going for upscale. It's going for great food in a fun atmosphere. You can have both. The prices are reasonable for the food they are serving. And, it's on the water in an outdoor mall in a theme park resort. High end food, in a casual environment seems perfectly matched in this particular situation.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Do you classify the Brown Derby as fine dining? They charge $45 for a filet, compared to $39 at the Boathouse. So do you break out the dress code at the Brown Derby? or how about Le Cellier, where the filet is $49?

I'm all for fine dining and dress codes. But no WDW restaurant is fine dining (expect V&A).

Brown Derby is a park restaurant so it's hard to classify - I'd have to call it a bistro because it is basically a come as you are place and so it's dress code can be no more restrictive than the park, regardless of price point of which it's solidly in the lower end of the fine dining scale.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No DDP at the Boathouse.

The restaurant isn't going for upscale. It's going for great food in a fun atmosphere. You can have both. The prices are reasonable for the food they are serving. And, it's on the water in an outdoor mall in a theme park resort. High end food, in a casual environment seems perfectly matched in this particular situation.

Too expensive for it's market, It's priced about the same as Ruth Chris in Washington DC (the one with the view of the Capitol). Heck it's on par pricewise with Birk's in San Jose.

Both of these places are experiences in their OWN right and both are places where multimillion dollar deals are concluded over a handshake.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
its priced at that because of where it is....same reason a hot dog cost 6.00 at fenway at 1.00 at my gas station

DS is basically a shopping mall, It's not exclusive you are not paying admission to Fenway (were you there on Opening Day?) so while I can see the 3.00 hotdog compared to the Cumberland Farms 1.00 hotdog, The 6.00 hotdog is out of it's league so to speak.

DS has to compete with the greater Orlando market, yes it's a walk from SSR but otherwise it's just another upscale mall this one operated by Disney

twebber55

DS is basically a shopping mall, It's not exclusive you are not paying admission to Fenway (were you there on Opening Day?) so while I can see the 3.00 hotdog compared to the Cumberland Farms 1.00 hotdog, The 6.00 hotdog is out of it's league so to speak.

DS has to compete with the greater Orlando market, yes it's a walk from SSR but otherwise it's just another upscale mall this one operated by Disney
I think we re getting into semantics here, its still at WDW....my suggestion to you is the same I will follow..i wont go if I feel its too expensive and kindly will slide over to earl of sandwich or wolfgang puck express for much better deals!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think we re getting into semantics here, its still at WDW....my suggestion to you is the same I will follow..i wont go if I feel its too expensive and kindly will slide over to earl of sandwich or wolfgang puck express for much better deals!

Earl of Sandwich a MUST!!!, There is a EoS in Terminal E at Logan, Unfortunately SWA moved back to Terminal A so no more EoS for my in flight snacks on SWA out of Boston :cry:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Too expensive for it's market, It's priced about the same as Ruth Chris in Washington DC (the one with the view of the Capitol). Heck it's on par pricewise with Birk's in San Jose.

Both of these places are experiences in their OWN right and both are places where multimillion dollar deals are concluded over a handshake.

I'd argue that the Boathouse is a much greater experience then a vanilla Ruth's Chris. Just my opinion of course.

I think overall it's fine, price wise, for the market. Plenty of comparables in WDW that bear that out.

Frankie The Beer

A place where a steak is north of 100 bucks is fine dining whatever Disney chooses to call it, It probably IS good but I have certain expectations at price points like that one of those is a dress code. Even while at WDW I have a sport coat on hand.

Last time I went to a couple true fine dining restaurants, Alinea and the French Laundry, I paid over $1500 for two, 100 bucks for fine dining at WDW is quite the bargain. I'll even dress up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom