A Spirited Perfect Ten

StageFrenzy

The fact that the old chicken tenders were replaced with chicken nuggets of exactly the same chicken and breading only confirms this. Chicken tenders have a longer cooking time than the nuggets. Evidently those seconds saved was enough for a company wide change.
Do Tenders have double the size too?

Phil12

Not to be argumentative but high turnover is a HR recruiting problem (unless hr is paid piece work). Employee retention is (or should be) a key metric.
Remember though that Michael Eisner said that trained monkeys could do the job of theme park employees. It's easier and cheaper just to hire new people and give them their "monkey training" rather than retain CM's for most tasks.

The Visionary Soul

Remember though that Michael Eisner said that trained monkeys could do the job of theme park employees. It's easier and cheaper just to hire new people and give them their "monkey training" rather than retain CM's for most tasks.
It's important to note that Michael was specifically calling out Richard Nunis when he said that. But you get the point.

Nubs70

Then if the pool of potential employees is so vast, training is so minimal, and WDW has no pride in their product, both employees get the wage they deserve and WDW gets the quality product they desire.

Phil12

Then if the pool of potential employees is so vast, training is so minimal, and WDW has no pride in their product, both employees get the wage they deserve and WDW gets the quality product they desire.
That's accurate. I would also say that young inexperienced employees are easily duped by the pixie dust and seniors on social security are happy that Disney (or anyone) is willing to give them a job.

Cesar R M

The fact that the old chicken tenders were replaced with chicken nuggets of exactly the same chicken and breading only confirms this. Chicken tenders have a longer cooking time than the nuggets. Evidently those seconds saved was enough for a company wide change.
hum.. they still had chicken tenders last time I seen(february 2015, had the fish and chicken combo).. unless you mean McDonalds. ( I never heard of them offering Tenders)

Stitchon

hum.. they still had chicken tenders last time I seen(february 2015, had the fish and chicken combo).. unless you mean McDonalds. ( I never heard of them offering Tenders)

McD's actually featured tenders up until a few years ago, and recently brought them back for a promotion. They weren't that good, and were terribly overpriced.

stevehousse

And it's been reported that a passenger has died at the Richard Petty Driving School, riding in a Lamborghini, that the driver lost control of, killing the passenger. Is this the first death to happen from this experience?

TalkingHead

Not to be argumentative but high turnover is a HR recruiting problem (unless hr is paid piece work). Employee retention is (or should be) a key metric.

I was thinking of a recruiting problem as "we can't find people to work these jobs." That's one of the benefits to the CP -- a never-ending supply of renewable ultra-cheap labor. But I see your point -- and you're right. Retention should be an important factor.

the.dreamfinder

I was thinking of a recruiting problem as "we can't find people to work these jobs." That's one of the benefits to the CP -- a never-ending supply of renewable ultra-cheap labor. But I see your point -- and you're right. Retention should be an important factor.
The other benefit being it makes it nearly impossible for CMs to get overtime or full benefits.

AEfx

I honestly do not believe the job of certain quick service restaurants at WDW are "less demanding" than McDonalds for example.

Have you been in the Columbia Harbor House?
despite the small menu, these guys throw food at insane speeds.

Not to mention, working for Disney has:

* Much more stringent appearance specifications

* Much higher "Guest Service" expectations (and while folks anywhere can be demanding, you have to deal with the "I spent thousands of dollars to come here so make my little brat happy!" crowd) and you have to be a lot more "magical" - even on days when the grease and the heat and the crowds of jerks are on your last nerve

* Your "commute" does not end when you park your car or arrive on property, it can take you up to an hour to get to your work station between shuttles/busses/and walking all the way to an interior section of the park, ditto at the end of your day. At McDonalds you park 50 feet from the entrance, you can show up five minutes before your shift and be ready to go in time, and when you are done for the day you can just slink out to your car and be on your way home in two minutes.

That's a big reason why the CP is so "needed" - because unless you have the "captives" who have to work there, you have to really want to work at Disney as a regular employee, because they don't pay any better than McDonalds yet there is a whole lot more bullcrap you put up with as a Disney employee.

The reduction in guest experience over the last decade or two bears this out - you get what you pay for. They ask too much and pay too little to retain the quality of employee they used to be able to say was the average, not the exception.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Late Night Spirited Chinese Musing:

For those who think that the graft crackdown isn't serious and that I was bringing up Dai Haibo's arrest and his connection to Shanghai Disneyland Resort, here's the latest big name to get busted (no, this has NOTHING to do with Disney, but it illustrates the problem and shows how the CCP is going after corruption):

http://www.wsj.com/articles/chinas-jiang-jiemin-goes-on-trial-over-corruption-charges-1428895277

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/04/12/world/asia/ap-as-china-corruption-trial.html

Spirited Music World Musing:

What the heck happened to David Lee Roth? The guy looks -- and sounds -- like he's 70 (and not like a McCartney 70). Did the drugs take his voice away because he the way he sings now, Van Halen would be better off with @Lee.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Or, there could be no story at all. The "story" thus far is a series of seemingly unrelated events that Spirit has attempted to tie together into a direct cause and effect relationship. We have no evidence to suggest that any of these events are interrelated.

There is a story, most definitely. How big it is and just what it encompasses in totality, I can't say.

Spirit mentioned that he had spoken to a journalist who refused to write about this "story" because they were lacking any proof. So let's wait to see if any journalist finds some evidence.

Yes, Phil. But did you read what I posted about lazy journalists? Or the state of journalism today (not simply in this thread or in regard to this story)?

Journalists have to want to cover stories. They have to be allowed to write or report on stories by their editors and the execs above them who run news orgs (and do kill stories with regularity). And they have to not be ethically challenged, which sadly is the biggest problem (again, not talking about this story, but in general). Too many reporters are simply not willing to upset the apple cart. They want access. They want cooperation. And some even want more ... yes, some graft of their own in a matter of speaking.

For instance, this death tonight at WDW, I wonder how seriously it will be covered by most O-Town media. I wonder if reporters will look into safety on that track, other incidents that have happened or simply do a basic story and let it die. I look at the issue of monorail safety as one the media attempted to cover, in the wake of the July 5, 2009 crash that killed a pilot, and then decided that they'd rather not do any real indepth reporting.

Again, if you think that major stories (much, much, MUCH more serious than this) don't get ignored, then simply look at the Edward Snowden/NSA story. No one in this country wanted to write or report that. None. They had no choice when the Guardian broke it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You're right about one thing - the nickname thing was cheap and juvenile. Since I'm neither, I've edited the previous post accordingly.

Oh, don't fret it. We all act that way from time to time. When I do, though, I don't edit the comment because if I do it might harm my BRAND!

Let me set you straight on a few things.

I don't hate you Mr. '74 and I wouldn't wear the tshirt if they were 2 for 10 at the local mall. But feel free to play the martyr if that floats your boat.

Not in the habit of hating people I don't know. Wasted emotion. Now, I might hate you if I knew you. Or I might think you were the greatest guy since John Paul 23. Impossible to know, isn't it?

I'm as straight as I'm ever going to be right now unless you know some young super models with Daddy issues!
I play whatever role suits the stage I'm on. As a fan of the world's largest entertainment companies, I'm sure you can appreciate that.

I'm not really a big fan of John Paul. The current dude has impressed me. I'd give him a pizza myself!

Criticism of Eiger is a perfectly valid pursuit around here. I happen to think he's been an exceptionally bad leader for the Disney company. And I would describe Willow Bay's appointment as Director of Annenberg as comical if it weren't so utterly egregious.

I think you mean Iger and I'm certainly glad you see him for what he is largely. And you are quite correct about a pretty talking head/model/wife of a CEO having no place where she's at. So, I'm sorta at a loss over why you've chosen to be so confrontational. I'm truly a loveable Spirit.

Malignant? No, not my word of the day. I just happen to think it's a perfectly apt description of a few of the things you post around here. And you know exactly what I was referring to when I used the word.

Well, I hate the word. Having been dealing with a parent who was diagnosed with lung cancer last fall and who has almost died multiple times (on the heels of losing an uncle to hospital incompetence and 'resource allocation'), I admit I may be a bit sensitive to that word.

And if you agree with me about the Igers, then I truly don't know what you were talking about. I have a though though and one I don't wish to place here, so if it is that important to you, then send me a PM. I answer everyone, even the haters, which you proclaim to not be. So ... feel free ... I may not answer immediately, but you'll get a response.

And you have a MAGICal week (and I only mean that the same way you meant it!)

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

There is a story, most definitely. How big it is and just what it encompasses in totality, I can't say.

Yes, Phil. But did you read what I posted about lazy journalists? Or the state of journalism today (not simply in this thread or in regard to this story)?

Journalists have to want to cover stories. They have to be allowed to write or report on stories by their editors and the execs above them who run news orgs (and do kill stories with regularity). And they have to not be ethically challenged, which sadly is the biggest problem (again, not talking about this story, but in general). Too many reporters are simply not willing to upset the apple cart. They want access. They want cooperation. And some even want more ... yes, some graft of their own in a matter of speaking.

For instance, this death tonight at WDW, I wonder how seriously it will be covered by most O-Town media. I wonder if reporters will look into safety on that track, other incidents that have happened or simply do a basic story and let it die. I look at the issue of monorail safety as one the media attempted to cover, in the wake of the July 5, 2009 crash that killed a pilot, and then decided that they'd rather not do any real indepth reporting.

Again, if you think that major stories (much, much, MUCH more serious than this) don't get ignored, then simply look at the Edward Snowden/NSA story. No one in this country wanted to write or report that. None. They had no choice when the Guardian broke it.

The crazy thing is that I dont live anywhere near Disney anymore and I had it before anyone else. Was vetting the details when someone ran with it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's also funny how you can predict what a post will say just by looking at the likes.

If the only likes on a post are from Tigger and Phil, you can almost guarantee it's a pro-Disney/anti-Spirit comment.

It's why I truly don't like the 'likes' system. I know that I can say things that 99 out of 100 members will agree with sometimes, but they won't like it because they're like a passive aggressive fanboi (or they are one!) There are people here that I don't particularly like, but I judge the post on what it says and not by who wrote it. I happen to like you, for instance (and we gotta meet, so let me know when you might be planning an O-Town getaway in the future!), but I don't simply 'like' all your posts because some of them are ... pooh. And others are just like a visit to today's EPCOT, not very filling!:D:devilish::cool:

The only way I won't 'like' a post is if I am sure the individual is a troll or has multiple accounts here.

Of course, there are other ways of being passive aggressive ... I know of one hillbilly poster here who is very stingy on the likes, yet he'll say something like ''Yup. That's it.'' and he'll get approximately 119 likes.
I think he is passive aggressive with me because his wife (he definitely married up) would drop him for me in a second!:D

WDW1974

Original Poster
I can eat a quality burger and great seafood at 5000 places within my city. Disney is not in the business of providing the same but then in some devilishly hot swamp hellhole. No, Disney is in the business of creating a themed environment to serve that food in, or even, for the romantics, it is in the business of creating a dreamworld. So smokestacks and a revolving paddlewheel are everything.

Fulton's has always been a joke, a disgrace. A paddlewheel steamboat that does not even try to look like one anymore. It is WDW parasiting itself. One eats at Fulton's because SSE is great and Fultons happens to be nearby. It is not a destination of itself.

The new nautical theme might look great, but to me misses the mark. To theme a ship to a nautical theme is akin to theming Norway to a theme inspired by it. A paddlewheel steamboat ought to be themed to resemble....a boat. Not to a location (that would be not even place) that refers to a boat. The interior of the Empress structure is given: anything one could find on a riverboat in the classic North American paddlewheel steamboat era.

I shall not make mention of the class and sophistication the old Empress had. Dignity, although so close in word form, is no longer a consideration for Disney. I'll settle for any restaurant where eating with one's fingers is frowned upon.

You know this is something we agree on (amazing!) But you are talking about the Disney that was, the Disney that I fell in love with versus the Disney of today. The Empress Lilly was classy and sophisticated, but so was all of the LBV Shopping Village. Heck, so was most of the Vacation Kingdom of the World.

This ode to all the BRANDS that TWDC now controls is what WDW is today and will be until we get real regime change. No more of any of these people, and I include Chapie (I don't care how great he was with Marvel merchandise, what does he know about running an empire of theme parks, resorts and cruise ships? Not as much as most of the people here on this forum!) Iger, Staggs, Rasulo, Crofton, Kaolgridis, Holz, Holmes, Cockerell and what's the DVC guy's name ... Potrock ... and who can forget Mr. MM- himself -- Jim MacPhee. They all have to go and new blood, largely from outside Disney, needs to come in. At least half the above won't be around when Pandora debuts, but that isn't nearly enough.

And again, it all starts at the top. I'm not Wall Street and I am not stupid enough to believe that what's good for them is good for most Americans. So, the fact that WS gets on its knees for Iger is about as important to me as some Goldman Sachs exec drowning in a tub full of money.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Since this seems to be a recurring thing here, I want to clarify that my love of In-N-Out is based upon the totality of the circumstances: it's a very good burger at an inexpensive price prepared by friendly employees who are well-paid by a company that understands corporate responsibility. I admire and respect In-N-Out as a company as much as I like their burgers. I don't claim their burgers are the best on the planet--but I do think they are the best value for money. (A Double-Double is $3.60...that's cheaper than a Big Mac, let alone one of the other gourmet burger places, where prices typically start around $8.)

Now, where did I mention In-N-Out? I was talking about Fuddrucker's. We don't all have In-N-Out close by. They are a great company that does things, most especially treating their employees fairly and with dignity, that makes tasty burgers and fries. And I was eating them back in the 90s, when you were still a snot-nosed brat clutching his Figment plush and chowing down on McNuggets!:D

I guess I should have assumed that about the Disney Channel. In a way, that's unfortunate. The rest of the world really needs to be exposed to the greatness that is Dog with a Blog. ;)

So, my friend who mentioned this to me wasn't joking?!?! It's really a thing?

My point about Cinderella is exactly the one that you made. That audience probably isn't familiar with the animated versions of any of these stories, so perhaps the live action versions are a way to bring that Disney IP (I realize most of these stories are not actually Disney IP, but perception is reality, and they have become de facto Disney IP over time, I think). I don't know if that's even remotely the case, but it wouldn't be a bad idea...

I think so, I'm just tired of the same stories being told endlessly. Even if I love the characters. I'm much more looking forward to Inside Out than I am to Toy Story 4. Originality means a lot to me. But I'm not Chinese. I realize this everytime I go to China!

Hey now, my Grog Grotto review will change the world. Okay, not at all. However, I don't think it's fair to begrudge the disinterest of others on this Shanghai story. It fascinates me, but I don't blame those who don't care. For many people--intelligent people--Disney is an escape. Likewise, the places where Disney is discussed online are escapes.

Says the man who has a strange fascination (would obsession be too strong?) for the goats of DL!
Oh, I don't believe in telling people what they should or shouldn't like. If you're never going to go to China, then I get why you might not care. If you are only interested in WDW, then I get why you might not care. But I most definitely will be back in China (likely rather soonish) and I do understand how what goes on there will have repercussions throughout the company.

I like to think my threads are an escape from endless debate on whether Frozen belongs in EPCOT (it doesn't!), whether I should eat at Chef Mickey's or Crystal Palace (neither!), whether $600 is a fair price for a room at the Poly (are you out of your mind?) and discusses more weighty matters (sometimes literally when we talk food!) Escape is different for everyone. My version isn't the same as most here. I'd take a week in Yosemite over ANY WDW resort free of charge!

BTW, since I have no idea how many folks here read your Blog or posts that aren't WDW related, I wanted to repeat what I said inn the comments on your recent review of Hotel NY at DLP (no, he didn't like it and explained quite well why). I have immense respect for anyone who can take a free room from Disney, a vastly overpriced one at that, and then have the guts and integrity to honestly rate the hotel and rip it where it deserves. It's probably why in 10 years you won't be doing much Disney Blogging ... but, hey, your nature stuff is much, much better. And it's a whole lot easier to play around and get a kewl shot of SSE than a sunrise at Half Dome that is a work of art.:)

Obviously, there is danger in living in a fantasy world full-time (you point this out with regularity when it comes to certain fans), but everyone enjoys their own varieties of escapist entertainment. That doesn't necessarily make them dense or focused on the "wrong things," just interested in certain topics for different purposes. I like the "heavy" as well as the light-hearted sides of things when it comes to Disney, but I can appreciate that many others only want one or the other.

Oh, me too.

I just have an issue with those who Al Lutz once termed 'Defenders of Mediocrity' ... they have largely taken over the online fan community, at least when talking about WDW. There's not much that can be done about that, Disney knows it everytime they don't give Lou Mongello a thing!;)

The sad part is these 'fans' not only make things worse for themselves, whether they realize it or not, but they make them worse for all of us. I don't want certain things back or done differently just for myself and my family and friends. I want WDW to reattain the greatness it once had because (almost) everyone will wind up being happier in the end. There's a reason WDW was such an amazing place back in the 20th century -- very simply they cared and tried and, more often than not, succeeded in being the very best place to take a family on vacation. They haven't been that in a very long time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom