A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Spirited Old Time MAGIC Musing:

You know that you're striking somewhere when a former troll here with the initials JT (who was rumored to be a psycho ex-Imagineer who currently holds a low level position with UNI Creative) pops up on the DIS Boards today and immediately goes to a thread there about the subject of China and Bob Iger and goes on the attack against -- yours truly ... it does make a Spirit wonder whether the psycho actually is the same person.

With their moderation, I'm wondering how long it will take before he's gone from there ...

BTW, if you choose to read over there, please don't bring the posts over here. The individual was banned from this community for a reason and let's respect that.
hang on.. you mean Jimmy Thick?
didn't he "leave on his own"?

He was "encouraged" to leave. But his original according by is still open, as are the two he's made since then....
lol, so he had sock puppets too?

Progress.City

So with the new digital Star Wars re-release, people are fussing about the new Lucasfilm logo attached to them, which'll probably be what we'll be seeing with the new films.

Personally, I'm far more concerned with the question of "Will they redo the Castle Intro with a John Williams reindition of When You Wish Upon a Star?" because that'd just be beautiful.

I like it. It makes up for the fact that there's no Fox fanfare because it sounds like it and doesn't skip a beat! Perfectly brilliant!

stevehousse

While Robert Downey Jr. and company are doing a presser on the Disney lot right now, I thought I would point out something Avengers related. I happened to be at Wawa the other day and I noticed this when I was in the check out line.
View attachment 89630
Avengers themed Doritos.
I also found Avengers Dr.Pepper online as well.
CB7xSrTWMAAfSoX.jpg:large

What I find interesting about these Avengers themed powdered corn chips and carbonated corn syrup is that Disney, supposedly across all BRANDS, has come out firmly against licensing its IP for use on junk food.
http://adage.com/article/news/disney-limit-character-licensing-healthful-foods/112534/
http://reuters.com/article/idUSBRE8540WP20120605?irpc=932
I know the following is an excerpt from a Brooksie article, but bear with me here.

At the same time these Doritos line the shelves of America's convience stores and supermarkets, Disney has sought to play down that they have done this in their PR.

In addition, Marvel cartoons are taking a more prominent position on Disney XD, a channel which will be implementing a ban on advertising for junk food. From the same press release.

I am absolutely for Disney not putting its IP on junk food, I always smile when I see Mickey and Mater on packaging in the produce department, no longer putting its characters in Happy Meals, or allowing junk food to be advertised to children; its one of the few good things Bob Iger has done for the BRAND during his tenure. However, much like the Star Wars and Marvel slots and lottery tickets, it is hypocritical to continue to put these extremely popular characters on junk food while claiming to be promoting a healthy lifestyle. It could be argued that Disney/Marvel are in the clear because these products are not directly aimed at children, but if you were a kid, wouldn't you want Captain America or Iron Man in your lunchbox? Why are Thor and Hulk different from Donald Duck and Buzz Lighthyear? I'm sure we could all agree Marvel skews older than Disney, but why is it ok for Marvel to get a free pass when the other BRANDS are under so much scrutiny?

That may be the case, but I am assuming this agreement might have been in place before the "ip ban on junk food" came to fruition...legally, if they signed a contract for this, and then came out with the ban afterwards, they are still legally held to the contract.

the.dreamfinder

That may be the case, but I am assuming this agreement might have been in place before the "ip ban on junk food" came to fruition...legally, if they signed a contract for this, and then came out with the ban afterwards, they are still legally held to the contract.
Disney's initial move away from putting its characters on or associating them with junk food began in 2006. While your line of thinking on the contract is fair, Disney has owned Marvel for almost six years at this point. These sorts of deals are typically signed 6-18 months before release for films of this scale.

Last edited:

stevehousse

Disney's initial move away from putting its characters on or associating them with junk food began in 2006. While you line of thinking on the contract is fair, Disney has owned Marvel for almost six years at this point. These sorts of deals are typically signed 6-18 months before release for films of this scale.
I didn't know it was that long ago. I thought it was just this past year or 2 that happened...

Bolna

Disney's initial move away from putting its characters on or associating them with junk food began in 2006. While you line of thinking on the contract is fair, Disney has owned Marvel for almost six years at this point. These sorts of deals are typically signed 6-18 months before release for films of this scale.

Interestingly enough, in Germany we are getting more and more Disney themed candy. A few years ago I was talking about how little Disney IP merchandise you were able to buy in Germany, but that has changed over the last 4 years or so. Suddenly clothes stores have Disney t-shirts, a home goods store had a line of Disney kitchen goods and there is candy! Chocolates, Disney Princesses in Kinder Eggs etc. makes you wonder how sincere their claim to no longer promote junk food is.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Or more likely careful lawyering - so the 'Fab 5' will not be seen on junk food but since the rest of the IP is not 'Disney Original' IP it's fair game. As usual Disney could make a Ferengi blush with their greed.

the.dreamfinder

Or more likely careful lawyering - so the 'Fab 5' will not be seen on junk food but since the rest of the IP is not 'Disney Original' IP it's fair game. As usual Disney could make a Ferengi blush with their greed.
You are correct, there are some loopholes in their 2006 announcement.
From AdAge
Disney said its guidelines take effect immediately for licensing deals but will be phased in as existing contracts expire and will apply internationally. That could take awhile: Most Disney licensing deals end by 2008, but a Kellogg Co. deal for cereal has another seven years to run. In addition, Disney Consumer Products has licensing deals with Kellogg's Keebler division, Coca-Cola's Minute Maid and McDonald's for Happy Meals.
Disney will still license birthday cakes and seasonal candy but will lessen that part of its deals.

fosse76

Graft and corruption is rampant in Chinese business. It would amaze me if Walmart, Disney, Kraft Foods or any other major western company was able to conduct business in China without getting involved at some level.
It should be noted that it against the law in the U.S. to bribe foreign officials. So if Disney is involved, those who knew about it and are involved can be prosecuted in the U.S.

Nubs70

It's hard to prove without a whistleblower. Was it Walmart that recently had a scandal like this? There was a U.S. company that was in the news a year or two ago about this exact issue.
Yes, Walmart got in trouble in Mexico for this.. FCPA is also a reason why expansions into India are so limited. India is to graft as China is to IP violations.

bhg469

Interestingly enough, in Germany we are getting more and more Disney themed candy. A few years ago I was talking about how little Disney IP merchandise you were able to buy in Germany, but that has changed over the last 4 years or so. Suddenly clothes stores have Disney t-shirts, a home goods store had a line of Disney kitchen goods and there is candy! Chocolates, Disney Princesses in Kinder Eggs etc. makes you wonder how sincere their claim to no longer promote junk food is.
Shhhh! If you say kinder eggs you may be put on a watch list since they're illegal here!

Yup, a children's candy treat is illegal here due to soccer moms running the country.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

It's hard to prove without a whistleblower. Was it Walmart that recently had a scandal like this? There was a U.S. company that was in the news a year or two ago about this exact issue.
Yes.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/business/walmart-bribes-teotihuacan.html?_r=0
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/05/b...y-scandals-a-pattern-of-quiet-departures.html

I'm also working on another Corruption and Disney post. So that's something you guys can look forward to, or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom