A Spirited Perfect Ten

Phil12

No, Phil, it isn't. I posed a 'what if?' question that you turned around on to take a shot at those you view as Iger 'haters' (I do hope you placed me in that group and will be buying me a LE $21.95 pin that comes with membership in that club as I didn't get mine in the mail!)

I'm not sure what Iger would have to do, or be seen as in charge of those who would, in order for there to be regime change. It likely would have to be substantial. Paying off Chinese officials wouldn't be enough because his hands would (like his wife's) be clean by using people 18 times removed to commit the acts.

Now, if what was done is enough to cause the company to take a major stock hit, where the market cap drops by $10 billion in a few days, then I could see the Board getting antsy.

Everytime I place something out as potential evidence to back up my well-founded (again, how much time have you spent in China? how much time have you worked there? how many people in various capacities in high places in both HK and the mainland do you know?) accusations and the bar keeps getting moved further.

In this situation, I'm convinced that your definition of reasonable doubt is quite different from mine.

Oh, and at least myself personally, I'm not finished with Willow. I don't believe in taking a wait and see attitude when it comes to ethics myself.
Unfortunately, your "well-founded" accusations haven't been presented here. All you have presented is a series of seemingly unrelated events of which you have attempted to infer a cause and effect relationship. You state you have additional information you haven't been able to release and I understand your need to protect your sources. However, I hope that you'll understand that the information you've provided thus far is insufficient for me to arrive at the same conclusions that you've decided to endorse.

But please allow me to compliment you on your writing style. It's very entertaining and your threads are very fun to read. I really wish I could express myself in writing as well as you. Therefore I will continue to read your threads in the hope that me write pretty one day.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Unfortunately all we are going to get from here is that side of the story, and unfortunately the Snyder side of the story as well as Igers true feelings about the whole thing aren't likely to come out for decades. Honestly if there was more to this story I think the media press would have jumped on it...as Variety stated a couple of weeks ago...folks are foaming at the mouth for something to make Iger more interesting.

If there was truly a big corruption story, I doubt Staggs would have been promoted to COO, that would have been the most logical fall guy for it.

We'd like that to be true ... as a society ... and myself as someone who once dabbled in journalism. But it just isn't the reality today.

We have multiple (likely many) media members reading this thread and they have even wider media spheres of influence and well ... people have to be forced to write about this. I have had one reporter who told me she read ''almost 150 pages on that Magic Disney site'' and thinks there is something to write about, but ''my editors would never let me do this without hard proof'' ... well, that's what a reporter does, they search and search and search until they find that smoking gun, that proof. They don't wait for a story to happen in front of them. But ... not today.

Use Soup & Salad Sandra as an example. Disney is her beat for the O-Town Sentinel, yet she never writes a thing of substance. And when she writes something that some might find 'negative' it's on rising park ticket prices or converting hotel rooms to timeshares ... and it's about as tepid as can be. And on the other end, you have Brooks Barnes at the NYT who is in the pocket of every major entertainment company he covers.

So, plenty of news happens and we don't read or hear a thing.

Again, the NSA/Snowden story would never have been covered in this country if not for being broken in the UK first.

Ironically, by American citizens choosing to live outside the USA.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My question was where is the current attraction menu posted on any official Disney site and what is the attraction menu? I cannot find it anywhere.

It isn't anywhere but here and every single Disney site that borrowed it from here after I placed it out.

If you are awaiting the official attraction menu, then I think you'll have to wait until they open the park at this point ... with likely a few more details on attractions coming before via Dr. Blondie and the DPB!

WDW1974

Original Poster
And there's my point. :D Thanks for that. Since Disney hasn't announced anything official at all for an attraction list, you cannot officially say that nothing is being added. Some nebulous list that someone may have given out over a year ago, and that list may have had NO basis in reality, is no reason to say that no new attractions are going in. That list may have been a laundry list of things they wanted to do, but no one knows what made the cut, or how plans have changed over the last year. Sorry, but until Disney officially announces something, it ain't necessarily happening. And you, Lee, know that better than most people here.

Sorry, but the above is inaccurate ... everything I have put forth on Shanghai Disneyland ... everything has thus far proven to be true. I think a 100% accuracy rate is pretty damn good myself. You wait for Disney, Goof.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sorry, just so you are clear, that wasn't a shot at you or your ability to vet news, it was because there was a claim the Snyder visit was all over "the press". Your journalistic ability not-with-standing, I was just pointing out that in fact, the press at large hadn't in fact said anything.

For that reason, it seems more likely they weren't really looking to be found out while they were sneaking around, then making a big show about it.

I doubt it was in any press at all. I only found out a few days ago because I have impeccable sources in Asia and, largely, due to simple chance. I also don't see why in the world him visiting the park would be newsworthy. He ain't the Pope or Beyonce.

StageFrenzy

We'd like that to be true ... as a society ... and myself as someone who once dabbled in journalism. But it just isn't the reality today.

We have multiple (likely many) media members reading this thread and they have even wider media spheres of influence and well ... people have to be forced to write about this. I have had one reporter who told me she read ''almost 150 pages on that Magic Disney site'' and thinks there is something to write about, but ''my editors would never let me do this without hard proof'' ... well, that's what a reporter does, they search and search and search until they find that smoking gun, that proof. They don't wait for a story to happen in front of them. But ... not today.

Use Soup & Salad Sandra as an example. Disney is her beat for the O-Town Sentinel, yet she never writes a thing of substance. And when she writes something that some might find 'negative' it's on rising park ticket prices or converting hotel rooms to timeshares ... and it's about as tepid as can be. And on the other end, you have Brooks Barnes at the NYT who is in the pocket of every major entertainment company he covers.

Again, the NSA/Snowden story would never have been covered in this country if not for being broken in the UK first.

Did you see the John Oliver interview? Does the NSA have your richard nixon pics?

PhotoDave219

No, that is a convenient lie/smear campaign against the author that starts and ends at Bob Iger's door.

That statement placed out was libelous and HuffPo attorneys were contacted by attorneys for the writer (I know this for certain from a source at said organization).

If that weren't the case, then it would still be out there because truth is a defense for libel (as I'm sure you know). It wasn't up for what ... 2-3 hours tops?

For argument sake, what if I gave you a name from the HuffPo or maybe even a lawyer's name who represents Snyder? What would you say then? I know ... you'd say they are biased and can't be trusted and you'd still go with what is in your head. I'd have burned a source who is a good and decent human being and ethical journalist simply to make some stranger who doesn't like my world or World views feel better. You can see why no sane person would do that, right?

So you stick with what feels good to you: namely an erroneous belief that Willow Bay or Willow Iger or whatever she calls herself depending on the day had nothing to do with this censoring. Now, I know it as fact. But I also know some people here don't believe me. That's fine, but it changes nothing. You/they are simply mistaken.

Oh, and she doesn't have ultimate authority at the HuffPo. She has the power to do what she did. To this day, Arianna Huffington still has the ultimate power ... and she and Willow are close friends.

And Arianna is nobody to mess with. Ive witnessed that much firsthand.

Phil12

No, it can't be easily found. Unless you're in say China or Russia. Here?
It's only around largely because some fans were smart enough to sense something stinking and placed it on blogs and sites like this. It was scrubbed from the 'net in the USA.

And you really think people in a position/role like Gary Snyder feel that they have to explain anything?
And did you get the idea that he was a writer by profession? Because I didn't, and my research has proven that not to be the case. He wrote a total of four Op-Eds for the HuffPo over a period of almost a year. That doesn't say writer to me. And since I've been a writer, I sorta do know what I am speaking of.

And ignorant fans/people tend to use the term 'conspiracy theory' as an all-everything pass for excusing the inexcusable. Just like 'tinfoil hat'.

BTW, what are you hiding? What are you lying about? What don't you want people to read. I see you clearly edited your post 90 minutes after posting it!!! That can only mean you had something out there that would have harmed YOUR BRAND!
Here's the article: http://yourfinancialnews.net/author/gary-snyder/
It's easy to find and it was not scrubbed from the net in the USA. It's my understanding that Mr. Snyder was a writer and developed reality television shows in the early days of that genre. I guess he then got involved in some television production. Based upon those Op-Ed articles I'd say he has some skill as a writer.

I'm not really hiding anything except for the fact that I don't write pretty like you. As a result I often misspell words or make grammatical mistakes and I don't immediately see them until I reread my posts. I then go back and correct the errors. And sometimes I think of some additional extra special information and rather than creating a new post, I'll just add it to one of my existing posts. I'm not a real fast thinker.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I find all of the controversy surrounding Shanghai Disneyland's construction to be interesting, and while I have only skimmed the last couple-dozen pages, I did see the link to the New Yorker profile of Xi Jinping (a long, albeit rewarding read) posted by @the.dreamfinder as well as the news stories posted by @WDW1974 and read those articles in full, as well as other pertinent articles I found via Google. I thought I'd interject some random thoughts...

Your thoughts and opinions are always welcome here, Tom. I actually was thinking about you earlier ... as I chowed down on a Fudd's burger!

Much ado is being made about the lack of a Disney Channel in China, as if this is something outcome-determinative for how Disney's park will resonate. Have you guys seen the Disney Channel lately? Unless Dog with a Blog Land is being planned, I don't see a huge benefit in the channel. Moreover (and much more importantly), Disney has had its hits at the Chinese box office (albeit some misses, as well). Live action, including Cinderella, has been huge there--perhaps that market is a big motivation for the slew of remakes that have been announced? Introducing stories that are familiar to us to a new audience? I also see irony in posts from some members who are staunchly against synergy in the US parks--wanting non-IP attractions here because "quality will out"--assuming that quality attractions will not succeed despite their lack of familiar IP in another country.

Not having a Disney Channel in China is huge. It is what introduces and spreads the BRAND across this vast, populous nation. Bob Iger said it himself in that 2005 NYT story that I put out here earlier. Bob said he wouldn't enter China in terms of building SDL without it. Bob either failed or lied or both.

Also, you are viewing the Disney Channel here to be what would be seen there. It would be a VASTLY different product and one that most here would like better, if it wasn't in Mandarin. It would likely feature everything from classic shorts to animated features to old Disney TV shows to new local content and content designed to introduce IP that, again, isn't nearly as known as people here seem to think.

(Haven't you gotten some of those great HKDL stickers that are handed out to teach the audience who the characters are?)

The Disney Channel that is here in the USA and squarely aimed at tweens would not be the product on offer in China if it were allowed. The Disney Channel debuted in Germany when I was there a year ago January and the content ran the gamut of classic animation to reruns of the original Muppet Show to some programs that are more recent and aimed at the younger audience.

I don't know, at this point, what can or can't be read into Cinderella's success in China, but I do know that people didn't rush out to see it because they were in love with Walt's 1950s animated version. I'd bet most of the audiences were unaware that film even exists.

As for the New Yorker profile and it being "proof" of anything, remember that this deal was done before Xi Jinping rose to power. So his apprehensiveness of Western values is not really indicative of Iger getting a bad deal, as Iger would not have known any of this when the deal was done. Iger may have very well gotten a bad deal, but the reasons for that would be separate and distinct from changes Xi Jinping has made.

On the topic of Jinping, my reading of the profile is of a man who is deeply conflicted: he wants to shut Western influence out, but he also desperately wants to legitimize China in the eyes of the world. Where having a Disney theme park outpost in Shanghai fits into that is anyone's guess, since the guy seems fairly unpredictable, but he could either view it as threatening or legitimizing. I don't think you can leave that article with any sort of resolution on that.

Agreed. I'm not sure what he thinks of the project at all. I certainly don't think he believes it is needed, but does he believe it should be desired (and UNI's Beijing Resort as well)? That is a question worth following in the years ahead.

Tying in the Jinping profile with the Dai Haibo news, shouldn't we allow for the possibility that Dai Haibo is being targeted because of political affiliations? I'm not saying that's the case, but I haven't seen it mentioned (again, I haven't read every post) in this thread. It hardly seems far-fetched given the New Yorker profile's statements that some of this "crackdown" is being undertaken for political purposes.

Politics always plays a role. Always. The root doesn't change. They're all doing it, but who gets targeted absolutely comes down to politics. And just because ''everyone is doing it'' doesn't make it right (not saying you are saying that, but many do focus on that when talking business in China!)

There's also the possibility that the land deals at issue have nothing to do with Disney. Based on the news, this graft occurred before 2009. That removes the $800m from issue (at least from this issue). If he owned the land and sold it to a third party--and that's the transaction where graft or self-dealing occurred--and the third party then sold to Shendi/TWDC, it wouldn't involve Disney at all.

I'm not even remotely suggesting that this Shanghai deal is squeaky clean--just playing a bit of devil's advocate a bit, I suppose because these are some of the first questions that came to my mind while reading these articles and posts, and I haven't really seen this discussed. Something certainly feels amiss (certainly an understatement) with Shanghai Disneyland, and I think there are likely serious issues and concerns with it.

Nah. You just put your Tinfoil Mouse Ears on! Everything is fine. Again, that explains everything from Bob Iger never being seen photographed -- no Disney official or character being photographed -- on site at SDL to the HuffPo Op-Ed being censored to ... well, just about any little thing that you look at and say ''that's strange!''

But don't worry. Put your trust in the Weatherman, sit back and get ready to write a Grog Grotto Review because that's what interests most fans. They never see the big picture. Never. What Al Lutz accomplished in Anaheim is truly a miracle that will never be repeated.

Personally, my biggest concern is not with unethical corporate or political acts, but that this whole thing is a folly that will leave all of Parks & Resorts crippled for years as money is hemorrhaged fixing Shanghai. I certainly hope that's not the case, but the project does seem troubled...

I wouldn't say that's my biggest concern, but it's right up there ... and there are plenty others. I still look forward to it, but I can't help but think that I'm looking forward to it more than Iger at this point!

Disneyhead'71

That's just insane. Are my Parkscope Bois making excuses for this?

It's also been done on Hulk and Dragon Challenge according to a Tweet I read from @skubersky ... I can only guess that some idiot's iPhone went flying and hit another Guest on the head and UNI is now going to have to write a big check. So, this is their lawyers and/or Bill Davis's answer to it.

I'm not emptying my pockets (they are deep, befitting a Faux Top One Percenter) of every last nickel to ride their coasters. That's just insane. And I'm not being wanded and/or felt up to ride either.
Prevailing intel is that someone's iPhone did fly off of Dragon Challenge (probably someone trying to get a selfie) and it was a "near miss" to people standing near the exit of the castle.
This and the unfortunate incident in Hollywood has the brass a titch stressed.

And concerning Gringott's, new parts are being manufactured as we speak. It will be repaired asap. Unfortunately, they don't have the luxury of closing this particular ride at this time because of this one effect. Yes, it's bad show. But the ****storm of it being closed would be worse than the beating they are taking on the Disney forums. ;)

Cesar R M

That's just insane. Are my Parkscope Bois making excuses for this?

It's also been done on Hulk and Dragon Challenge according to a Tweet I read from @skubersky ... I can only guess that some idiot's iPhone went flying and hit another Guest on the head and UNI is now going to have to write a big check. So, this is their lawyers and/or Bill Davis's answer to it.

I'm not emptying my pockets (they are deep, befitting a Faux Top One Percenter) of every last nickel to ride their coasters. That's just insane. And I'm not being wanded and/or felt up to ride either.
Id rather have everyone wanded than getting beheaded because an ahole wanted a selfie with a giant phone during a full inversion in a rollercoaster :p

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
He never mentioned that in all the times we hung out. Ooooops.

I actually met her on a very important day and she was absolutely the sweetest ... and the new Batman was pretty kewl as well!

And, no, it didn't come up. But I am full of (dramatic pause for my fans to say something nasty!) lots of very interesting stories that don't need to be fed to the world here!

TalkingHead

And concerning Gringott's, new parts are being manufactured as we speak. It will be repaired asap. Unfortunately, they don't have the luxury of closing this particular ride at this time because of this one effect. Yes, it's bad show. But the ****storm of it being closed would be worse than the beating they are taking on the Disney forums. ;)

That's good, because although the missing screen is less noticeable from the back of the train, from the front car it's a major disappointment. It's been missing for over a month. Not sure how long it takes to manufacture the parts, but glad it's getting repaired.

PhotoDave219

I'd say that a good 35-40% of the participants of this thread are active/former journalists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom