A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The China thing now got interesting. As we have more of the story and why and what may go bad now.

It is still not all doom and gloom and a lot of people guessing China is playing dirty now that this is out to disney.

We truly don't know yet. Will it get ugly my guess now would be yes but do any of us know for sure no!

Also I would love to see the contract showing the control of the IP. My guess would be the IP would be allowed to be used but only per tight guidelines from disney. And any exception would have right to pull clauses.

Hard to do but any company would have it. And if China governement screws to much with it our governement will apply pressure back. It is why all of this is so scary. Something this dumb could fray relations with us for a long time.

The only problem with IP is while a company can tell another company what to do, Much diiferent case when dealing with a government which is effectively all powerful. If the CCP chooses to wrest Disney's IP away in China they will ask Iger if he wants cheese with his whine.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The relationship mentioned was in the new article... not the huff one.
Where the guy who is being investigated.. had managed the lands where Disneyland Shangai is.
I'm not following you.

The original person I quoted said that the Huffington Post article that had been removed referenced the "missing" $800M of additional funds. It didn't. That's a fact. I wasn't disagreeing with any of his other points.

There is really no direct connection between this guy who was arrested and that $800M either. Right now we know the guy was involved with many projects including SDL and that he is under arrest now. Could the $800M have gone to him? It's possible but it's also possible it was used for general cost overruns, rebuilding things that weren't up to standard or even to add new attractions.

asianway

Anyone else not interested in Shanghai Disneyland and possible corruption? The only thing about Shanghai Disney that interests me is the new Pirates ride. I'm hoping it becomes successful and we elements of the attraction make their way to the states.
Some of us plan to visit Shanghai and aspire to a little more than meeting Red the fire truck for our Parks & Resorts experiences

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Disney hasn't announced it, I don't think.

Spirit posted a leaked attraction list here months ago. Other sites, like Disney and More, have named all the attractions, as well.
And there's my point. :D Thanks for that. Since Disney hasn't announced anything official at all for an attraction list, you cannot officially say that nothing is being added. Some nebulous list that someone may have given out over a year ago, and that list may have had NO basis in reality, is no reason to say that no new attractions are going in. That list may have been a laundry list of things they wanted to do, but no one knows what made the cut, or how plans have changed over the last year. Sorry, but until Disney officially announces something, it ain't necessarily happening. And you, Lee, know that better than most people here.

BrianLo

While I have no intention of placing my CV on MAGIC for your/anyone's review, I have worked as a journalist as well as a publicist (at different times, of course, unlike Dr. Blondie). And I did both jobs in a top-notch ethical manner. When I place things out as news, I vet them far more thoroughly than the pathetic excuses that largely call themselves journalists today. ... That's why I am very good at my role here on MAGIC. I am not sure if you realize how much NEWS about Disney and China is being placed on this thread.

Sorry, just so you are clear, that wasn't a shot at you or your ability to vet news, it was because there was a claim the Snyder visit was all over "the press". Your journalistic ability not-with-standing, I was just pointing out that in fact, the press at large hadn't in fact said anything.

For that reason, it seems more likely they weren't really looking to be found out while they were sneaking around, then making a big show about it.

jakeman

Sorry, just so you are clear, that wasn't a shot at you or your ability to vet news, it was because there was a claim the Snyder visit was all over "the press". Your journalistic ability not-with-standing, I was just pointing out that in fact, the press at large hadn't in fact said anything.

For that reason, it seems more likely they weren't really looking to be found out while they were sneaking around, then making a big show about it.
Apologies for being a grammar nazi, but I think in this case it is important to the syntax of the sentence. Did you mean "sneaking around, then making a big show" showing a progressive series of events or "sneaking around, than making a big show" showing two optional scenarios.

Again, not trying to call you out, just ascertaining the meaning of your sentence as that's a pretty significant difference.

BrianLo

Apologies for being a grammar nazi, but I think in this case it is important to the syntax of the sentence. Did you mean "sneaking around, then making a big show" showing a progressive series of events or "sneaking around, than making a big show" showing two optional scenarios.

Again, not trying to call you out, just ascertaining the meaning of your sentence as that's a pretty significant difference.

The latter, it has been a long day!

Lee

Adventurer
Sorry, but until Disney officially announces something, it ain't necessarily happening. And you, Lee, know that better than most people here.
No...nothing is official until construction starts.;)
I can't get into too much detail here, but...

The list posted here over a year ago is accurate. The info on other sites is also accurate.

Construction began in Shanghai months and months ago, long before the new funds were allocated.

There are no "new" or "additional" attractions that have been added to the opening menu that would account for that money.

Simple as that...

BrianLo

My question was where is the current attraction menu posted on any official Disney site and what is the attraction menu? I cannot find it anywhere.

No, but you can take a look at the menu here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/sdl-lineup.877040/

Apart from a few mislabels of what the attraction actually is and Toy Story vanishing, we have every reason to believe that list still remains 99% consistent with the construction occurring.

Until something actually appears opening day not from that last, we have no evidence that the $800 million was put towards new opening day attractions. Like TWDC so desperately wanted us to believe.

The posting of that list also predates the 800 million increase by 6 months.

Sure, Disney hasn't published it, but a lot of other people (@danlb_2000, @RandySavage @RSoxNo1) here have poured over it and the construction occurring enough times to know it is/was very, very legitimate.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
No...nothing is official until construction starts.;)
I can't get into too much detail here, but...

The list posted here over a year ago is accurate. The info on other sites is also accurate.

Construction began in Shanghai months and months ago, long before the new funds were allocated.

There are no "new" or "additional" attractions that have been added to the opening menu that would account for that money.

Simple as that...

No, but you can take a look at the menu here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/sdl-lineup.877040/

Apart from a few mislabels of what the attraction actually is and Toy Story vanishing, we have every reason to believe that list still remains 99% consistent with the construction occurring.

Until something actually appears opening day not from that last, we have no evidence that the $800 million was put towards new opening day attractions, like TWDC so desperately wanted us to believe.

The posting of that list also predates the 800 million increase by 6 months.

My point is that just because no one has leaked any new listing to y'all, doesn't mean that nothing new is going there. We still have almost 2 years until opening (according to '74), so instead of getting up in arms because your inside folks aren't so forthcoming with information, why not wait a bit and see what happens. Maybe they haven't fully decided what new attractions will be there for that $800 million. Maybe negotiations are ongoing between Disney and Shendi about what to add. Maybe lots of other things going on as well.

Please don't come back on and say that you know what the plans are, but cannot tell us. That gets real old, and makes us feel like we aren't worthy of your insider stature.

Lee

Adventurer
Please don't come back on and say that you know what the plans are, but cannot tell us. That gets real old, and makes us feel like we aren't worthy of your insider stature.
Nothing to tell. Plans haven't changed.
If it isn't currently under construction, it won't be there at opening next year.

So, sadly...that Everest clone will have to wait a while.;)
(Yes, that was proposed...and illustrated on an early plan.)

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Friday Afternoon Musings:

First, let me clear up a little misstatement by my pal @Lee. I actually was the first individual outside The Walt Disney Company to publicize Shanghai Disneyland's opening day planning menu. I did it on this site in late 2013.

That menu has not in any way changed based upon reports from people inside the company as well as simple Google Earth and other photographic evidence (now, where's the idiot who will claim that photos don't show the whole story ... you know, like when cops murder people on video and get off.)

It is accurate. All the proof anyone needs is to look at what is being built and compare it to what I posted right here on WDWMAGIC.com ... Your place in the Pixie Dust (how's that sound, @wdwmagic?)

The HuffPo Op-Ed never said a word about the $800 million (only 43% from Disney, ostensibly) at all. I -- AND OTHERS -- here have mentioned it. The column did make a passing reference to the huge anti-graft campaign, which lo and behold has snared a top Shanghai official involved with Disney's Shanghai project.

People who demand to hear statements from Disney ... or Iger or Willow Bay or Snyder truly are delusional about the way people at that level move and conduct business. You won't hear a damn thing unless someone wants them to be heard. It's like the people here who believe the only news is official announcements from TWDC. That's news to some extent, but also PR and propaganda. People should educate themselves on the differences.

It seems like everytime news comes out on this situation, there are people who want to put on their Mouse Ears and explain it all away. You can't.

I will repeat again, that whatever narrative you choose to believe there are serious questions that need to be asked and answered. No matter what your feelings on this subject may be. Who goes around proudly wearing their ignorance and crowing online about it? Your answer is I don't know, I don't care and I'll wait for Disney to tell me whatever they want to tell me, and I'll believe whatever they say.

Hey, MAGICal friends, welcome to China. Guess what, it isn't even done that way over there.

Lee

Adventurer
Spirited Friday Afternoon Musings:

First, let me clear up a little misstatement by my pal @Lee. I actually was the first individual outside The Walt Disney Company to publicize Shanghai Disneyland's opening day planning menu. I did it on this site in late 2013.

That menu has not in any way changed based upon reports from people inside the company as well as simple Google Earth and other photographic evidence (now, where's the idiot who will claim that photos don't show the whole story ... you know, like when cops murder people on video and get off.)

It is accurate. All the proof anyone needs is to look at what is being built and compare it to what I posted right here on WDWMAGIC.com ... Your place in the Pixie Dust (how's that sound, @wdwmagic?)

The HuffPo Op-Ed never said a word about the $800 million (only 43% from Disney, ostensibly) at all. I -- AND OTHERS -- here have mentioned it. The column did make a passing reference to the huge anti-graft campaign, which lo and behold has snared a top Shanghai official involved with Disney's Shanghai project.

People who demand to hear statements from Disney ... or Iger or Willow Bay or Snyder truly are delusional about the way people at that level move and conduct business. You won't hear a damn thing unless someone wants them to be heard. It's like the people here who believe the only news is official announcements from TWDC. That's news to some extent, but also PR and propaganda. People should educate themselves on the differences.

It seems like everytime news comes out on this situation, there are people who want to put on their Mouse Ears and explain it all away. You can't.

I will repeat again, that whatever narrative you choose to believe there are serious questions that need to be asked and answered. No matter what your feelings on this subject may be. Who goes around proudly wearing their ignorance and crowing online about it? Your answer is I don't know, I don't care and I'll wait for Disney to tell me whatever they want to tell me, and I'll believe whatever they say.

Hey, MAGICal friends, welcome to China. Guess what, it isn't even done that way over there.
I apologize if I gave any other impression.
Your list here was clearly the first leak of the Shanghai menu.

RandySavage

Thanks to the wonders of satellite photography (these sat pics are only a couple months old), along with the copious amounts of info, plans and art made available over the years, we have a very clear understanding of the macro picture (the interesting parts will be when the micro details emerge) of what will be opening in Shanghai roughly a year from now (hopefully).

16479735334_c5ef5c81b2_b.jpg

16479740224_22737b4cdb_b.jpg

17102168305_daf146e47f_b.jpg

16482024373_06d5817ae5_b.jpg

17100650912_ef2e882123_b.jpg

16914388358_8a6c1ae882_b.jpg

Cesar R M

So what your saying is now the Google CEO is involved? :cautious:
Nah, just the way that Google Caché works.

If something is replaced for a newer version or removed quickly, the second caché was quickly replaced by the first error screen.
Thus the newest cached image of the huffpo article will be just the apology.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Your answer is I don't know, I don't care and I'll wait for Disney to tell me whatever they want to tell me, and I'll believe whatever they say.
"Lets wait and see" is the most common rebuttal these days to any criticism of "the brand". It should seriously just be printed on t-shirts so all the Disney apologists can proudly wear their favorite war cry across their chest.

If the Trader Sams shirts are selling out at $54.99 a piece, it should be no problem moving a few thousand of these babies. Maybe throw in a "New Carpet Monorail" hand towel to boot.

Cesar R M

From the articles it seems to me the most likely scenario is that the Chinese official bought up land surrounding the project, probably by forcing locals into selling cheap vs state condemnation of their land, and personally (or his family) profited from the sale of that property, or managed to steer contracts to family or political contacts. Has nothing to do with and is absolutely unconnected to $800m Disney investment etc etc.
if you read the statement, the guy was directly involved in the selling of the plot of lands where Disneyland Shangai Resort is.
Perhaps he(he accused official) helped Disney get the land surrounding the first plotted Disneyland area (which then was selected for the resorts and hotels)

Unfortunately all we are going to get from here is that side of the story, and unfortunately the Snyder side of the story as well as Igers true feelings about the whole thing aren't likely to come out for decades. Honestly if there was more to this story I think the media press would have jumped on it...as Variety stated a couple of weeks ago...folks are foaming at the mouth for something to make Iger more interesting.

If there was truly a big corruption story, I doubt Staggs would have been promoted to COO, that would have been the most logical fall guy for it.

Your last part of the comment, kinda reminded me of the famous movie of "Fun with Dick and Jane".
Where Carrey's character works for a worldcom type company.. then gets promoted, just to be the fall guy when the entire company collapses. Then he gets investigated as he loses everything. All while the CEO flees full of millions thanks to his impressive dirty money management and laundering.

I'm not following you.

The original person I quoted said that the Huffington Post article that had been removed referenced the "missing" $800M of additional funds. It didn't. That's a fact. I wasn't disagreeing with any of his other points.

There is really no direct connection between this guy who was arrested and that $800M either. Right now we know the guy was involved with many projects including SDL and that he is under arrest now. Could the $800M have gone to him? It's possible but it's also possible it was used for general cost overruns, rebuilding things that weren't up to standard or even to add new attractions.

Thats what logic would say.
Almost 800m missing.. chinese guy who managed the land plot for Disneyland is now under investigation for bribes and mismanagement.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom