A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In the defence of the old thor.
sometimes the change or the "drama" brings really high purchases.

The drama that happened on IDW's TMNT (involving Donatello)
made a big SOLD OUT of issue #44 EVERYWHERE. (including amazon) for a week or two if I remember correctly.
only digital versions were available.

Not to mention the 'collectible' aspect, Somewhere I still have the first edition of 'Yahoo Internet Life' and on the graphic novel side I think everyone bought 10 of 'Superman Dies' not me though.

BrerJon

Ditto on that. All of the character animation has a ton of personality. I also thought Owl was a particularly inspired fusion of character animation (Dale Baer) and voice acting (Craig Ferguson). The "Owl has a cold" sequence is a good example of this.

What I like is that they really pushed the strengths of 2D as if to say if this is how we're going out, we're going to prove why CG is not a suitable replacement - there's just no way, even now a few years on, that 3D characters could ever do half the things the animators do in Pooh. If you were to take a few freeze frames from that, and compare them to, say, Frozen, the CGI ones would look so still and lifeless in comparison.

BrerJon

To me, The Black Cauldron has the most potential. Mainly because the Prydain books have never been done justice on film (or really at all, besides the Disney cartoon).

Knowing the subject matter, a remake would give Disney;

a) A pre-existing sword & sorcery story (no need for revision like Alice in Wonderland)
b) Enough material to support at least two sequels (there's 5 books in total)
c) Another princess to market (with magic powers too!)
d) Something that could easily be improved, without causing people to cry out that they "ruined their childhood!"

I'd settle for a TV show too, but neither are likely to happen.

Just whisper in the ears of the Burbank suits that Disney already owns the rights to a Game of Thrones type series and they won't be able to commission the thing fast enough.

pmaljr

Sign me up. How do I become a lifestyler. All the things you guys say about them make it sound like something I want to be.

Sounds like all you have to do is move to O-Town, start a blog, take pics/movies of everything on property (rides, rain, food, characters, merch, trash cans, bathrooms, toilet paper, etc.), eat and review all foods on property, stay at every hotel and buy a DVC property even though you already live in O-Town, suck up to all the other lifestylers so they will link to your blog and your career can take off ... is there anything else I'm forgetting?

BrerJon

In other news...Disney has "mastered" wearable technology....the system has operated flawlessly as of yet...right?

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-disney-wearable-magicband-tech-money-2015-4

Wow so many misconceptions in that clip, shame the 'journalist' behind it didn't spend ten minutes on this thread doing research... *As if* the 2014 profits came from Elsa dolls and not from, oh I don't know, maybe not having to spend 2 Billion on magical handcuffs.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Seeing that turning animated features into live actions movies has become a trend, I would not mind seeing Atlantis get the live action treatment. Of course it would have to be on the larger budget end and done right. I think it would make for real nice on screen eye candy. The Black Cauldron could be another one that could translate well. But no Home on the Range or do we really need another Pinocchio & Peter Pan?

Atlantis would be amazing as live action as long as the kept the jokes going, Beans for dinner followed by a musical revue is just one answer, Or Kida telling Milo how he sounded 'Like a provincial speaking through their nose'.

RSoxNo1

Agreed. The 2011 Pooh movie is probably the funniest Disney Feature animated movie made in the last decade.
I love Craig Ferguson, but I don't think that movie held up at all to the last four CGI releases. If you want to limit the conversation to hand drawn I'd be inclined to agree.

CaptainAmerica

Wow so many misconceptions in that clip, shame the 'journalist' behind it didn't spend ten minutes on this thread doing research... *As if* the 2014 profits came from Elsa dolls and not from, oh I don't know, maybe not having to spend 2 Billion on magical handcuffs.
1. NextGen was a capital expenditure. It has nothing to do with profits in the year the cash is spent. Capital expenditures are recognized on the P&L as depreciation over the life of the assets created. So way to criticize the "journalist" with sarcasm quotes when you're apparently the one who's unaware how "profits" work.

Example: I buy a piece of machinery for $20K. There is no expense incurred at the time of purchase because, even though I have $20K less cash, I have a piece of machinery worth $20K, so my asset base is unchanged. My expense is recognized as the piece of machinery ages and declines in value.

2. MagicBands are a very very small component of NextGen.

Paging @ParentsOf4 and @MichWolv to testify. They like you better than me.

CaptainAmerica

Maybe I'm missing something, but are we sure this is an actual "lifestyler" event? I was under the impression that the crowd for the spring event is more out-of-market DJs who fly in and broadcast live from Disney in exchange for giving Disney some air time rather than local central Florida social media types.

RSoxNo1

Ugh, don't remind me...I'm still bitter that Disney is just dismissing an entire medium after barely giving it a chance. As Brad Bird says, animation is not a genre. Likewise, hand-drawn and CGI are not distinct genres. Disney, of all studios, should be supporting both.

Ditto on that. All of the character animation has a ton of personality. I also thought Owl was a particularly inspired fusion of character animation (Dale Baer) and voice acting (Craig Ferguson). The "Owl has a cold" sequence is a good example of this.
The animation medium is great for story telling, be it CGI or Hand Drawn. I sincerely believe that Frozen would have been just as successful if it retained the same story but done in hand drawn animation.

BrerJon

The animation medium is great for story telling, be it CGI or Hand Drawn. I sincerely believe that Frozen would have been just as successful if it retained the same story but done in hand drawn animation.

I think the demands of the story should always be the priority. Mainly human casts can work better in CG, but stuff with animals and crazy characters tends to work better hand drawn.

Oh no, I've just realised what Disney is planning next... the 'Live Action' CGI remake of The Lion King. :facepalm:

RSoxNo1

I think the demands of the story should always be the priority. Mainly human casts can work better in CG, but stuff with animals and crazy characters tends to work better hand drawn.

Oh no, I've just realised what Disney is planning next... the 'Live Action' CGI remake of The Lion King. :facepalm:
African-Cats.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom