A Spirited Perfect Ten

asianway

Spirited Request For a Little Project:

If you were going to ask Bob Iger (along with Tom Staggs and Jay Rasulo) ONE question during the upcoming WDC shareholders meeting in San Francisco, what would it be? Simply place it in a post here or at the bottom of another post.

Who knows? That question might just be asked at said meeting.
Why was "Walt" removed from the title card on Walt Disney Pictures films?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

If you were going to ask Bob Iger (along with Tom Staggs and Jay Rasulo) ONE question during the upcoming WDC shareholders meeting in San Francisco, what would it be? Simply place it in a post here or at the bottom of another post.

Can you enunciate a clear philosophical vision for Walt Disney World from an artistic or entertainment perspective?

Stitchon

OK, I think we all know that I like @WDWFigment and agree with many of his views on things about the parks biz.

That said, in combing the Twitverse I read that he advises people to not rent cars when visiting WDW and I just don't know how many degrees of wrong that is. He feels it takes away from the ''resort experience''. My comeback to that is that TDO has done everything and anything possible to do just that over the last decade plus themselves. And I think it's dangerous to tell folks they don't need a rental because that basically tells them, despite all common sense to the contrary, that they should give Disney their $$$ for resorts and dining. And if they want to go to UNI 'for a day' they can simply take a cab or shuttle service.

I actually thought Tom's thoughts on resort transport were sarcasm. Whoops.

xstech25

Have to admit that the more I think about that 2014 in review column by Blogging Foxxy, that I think the war has been lost. People who got hooked on Disney due to Walt ... due to DL ... due to WDW growing out of the swamp ... due to the amazing spectacle that was 1980s and into the 90s EPCOT Center ... even due to Michael Eisner's first 10-15 years with Disney ... we've all been beat by the newbs. The kiddies -- and adults -- who have either only been visiting in the 21st century or are simply BRAND addicts. Aided by Disney's relentless marketing and smarmy Social Media efforts in kissing up to Mommy Bloggers and well ... assorted misfits who will write or say anything to be accepted by cubicle dwellers in Celebration Place, the Dark Side has won.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think Bob Iger has done an a phenominal job as CEO, probably one of the best CEO's of the era. When he came in the company was at a crossroads - the animation studio hadn't made a good movie in a long time, the Pixar relationship had fizzled and it looked like was coming to an end, they were building stupid nonsense like DCA/Chester & Hester (and even HK Disneyland). Not much good going for the company.

Then all of a sudden Disney and Steve Jobs get along great and Disney buys Pixar, the stuff they start building in the parks is much higher quality, he made two more home-run acquisitions with Marvel and Lucasfilm (it seems like every year two of the top movies are Marvel and you know Star Wars is going to be huge), and the company's earnings and stock have reflected it. Not only that but ESPN now is broadcasting a lot more major events and promoting them well so they have breaking ratings records several times a year. The company has had a huge turnaround and is more relevant now than ever in so many ways.

And to think when he took over there was high drama in the company, animation sucked (and as we know much of the earnings in many of Disney's businesses revolve around animation), the new parks that were being built were really lackluster. Now none of those issues exist anymore and Disney is setting record revenues every year. You have to give credit where it's due the man has just done an excellent job.

I don't know why people like you never realize that Disney is a business and a business is going to do what they have to do to make money, you guys treat it like it's some cardinal sin. If people really liked Disney's competition better than them, like you suggest they do, then why does Disney crush their competition in pretty much every category when it comes to attendance, box office sales, viewership, etc? Disney is extremely successful where it counts and opinions are just that...opinions.

Last edited:

JimboJones123

This argument is wrong.
Because Iger raises(and raised) the price of the tickets, even when he hasnt added a SINGLE THING (other than DVC)
He has to to counter demand. If tix were still 30% cheaper, guest count would be insane. MK closures every weekend.

The entire Disney Parks brand would suffer if guests simply couldn't be accommodated for.

lazyboy97o

I have pondered what if I was like my favorite gal 'Angie' ... what if my first visit to WDW was only in 2004 instead of 1974? Would I even like the place? How would it touch me? Would it affect me on the same level walking into Epcot that walking into EPCOT Center in 1982 did? Would my age matter ... meaning if I were a child in 2004 would I have been as wowed as I was back in '74? All interesting questions to think about.
If it was just an age or time of visit thing then I would be one lamenting the loss of the BAH. I've only ever heard of the EPCOT Center and only visited Epcot. I even remember thinking Stitch's Great Escape could be cool! :facepalm:

---

How are the Disnylands today a source of joy and inspiration to all the world?

MickeyPeace

While I still have thoughts/observations (maybe even news) from WDW, I wanted to post a bit about HKDL ... because while I was enjoying EPCOT and Whoopi Goldberg telling the story about Baby Jesus a close associate was visiting my old 'home' park on Lantau. Long story short, but greatly respect this person's opinions and he had experienced Diagon Alley recently. His view on Mystic Manor was that it's the best attraction Disney (or anyone) has built in years. A true family fun ride that also had its thrills. An attraction that perfectly couples a ride system to effects to story. Again, I get that 99% of you (maybe 98%, hopefully) will never travel to HK. But I think it's important to know what Disney and UNI and others are building around the globe.

WDW gets the most basic of anything. It's sad, annoying, frustrating, but true.

For a resort that was built with layer upon layer of detail, it's not at all what it should be. But it is what it is.
I was in Hong Kong in 2009. As a Disney fan then I chose Ocean Park over Disney because HKDL was more WDW then WDW at the time but much smaller!
When I was on Lantau I chose the seated Buddha. Now they are finally improving Disneyland.
Btw I always enjoy your posts.

Captain Neo

I want to know when they will invest substantially in redoing Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Why are so many rides and areas sitting empty (Peoplemover tracks, Magic Eye Theather, skyway station,Rocket Jet Platform and Motor boat area) and areas not being used to their full potential (Remember when "innoventions" and pizza planet buildings used to house real attractions?).
I also want to know when they plan to spill how and when they are going to expand Star Wars and Marvel's presence in the park with new rides, shows and attractions.

Cesar R M

"Mr. Iger, When you will stop focusing exclusively on making your Wall Street partners and focus on your visitors that.. you know.. are the ones giving the money to see something special?"

Cesar R M

Repentant Orc appears to have created a good composite for the kind of person who drops $2000+/night for the Poly bungalows.
""We're staying at the Polynesian Village bungalows for the children. Three nights of magical memories are much more important than college.""

3 nights is more worth than the entire foundation of their sons?
I hope child services remove the kids from this man..:hilarious:

Hilarious collection of bad examples!

RSoxNo1

I would be concise, but bring up domestic P&R spending with actual numbers.

"Spending has been down at Domestic Parks and Resorts since you became CEO. Organic growth has been virtually non-existent and the cheapest solution is often the choice that's taken. Since 2005, the identities and theming of the parks have deteriorated to be far from the mission statements of those parks. When will we see a return to theming and placemaking in park additions? When will we see brick and mortar growth at the same level as it was in the 90s?"

Mike S

"Mr. Iger, When you will stop focusing exclusively on making your Wall Street partners and focus on your visitors that.. you know.. are the ones giving the money to see something special?"
I would be concise, but bring up domestic P&R spending with actual numbers.

"Spending has been down at Domestic Parks and Resorts since you became CEO. Organic growth has been virtually non-existent and the cheapest solution is often the choice that's taken. Since 2005, the identities and theming of the parks have deteriorated to be far from the mission statements of those parks. When will we see a return to theming and placemaking in park additions? When will we see brick and mortar growth at the same level as it was in the 90s?"
I'd love to see what his answer would be to either of these questions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom