A Spirited Perfect Ten

BrerJon

They promote mainly internally to ensure there are drones at all levels who don't rock the boat or ask too many questions

Yup, that is true. Disney is a 'climate of fear' company where people are sacked at any time for the slightest reason, in order to keep other employees on their toes, which means any employee questioning their superiors or rocking the boat in any way is risking their job.

I imagine for any job with serious responsibility they'll want to recruit internally to ensure whoever gets the job has gone the distance and survived a while with their job intact, so I imagine often external advertisements are just concessions to best practice as opposed to genuine attempts to recruit from outside.

Cesar R M

Yup, that is true. Disney is a 'climate of fear' company where people are sacked at any time for the slightest reason, in order to keep other employees on their toes, which means any employee questioning their superiors or rocking the boat in any way is risking their job.

I imagine for any job with serious responsibility they'll want to recruit internally to ensure whoever gets the job has gone the distance and survived a while with their job intact, so I imagine often external advertisements are just concessions to best practice as opposed to genuine attempts to recruit from outside.
which is sad.

Can you imagine if someone of the calibre of John Lesetter; was growing up in the Disney company . Just to be sacked by an overzealous and incompetent middle level manager.

BrerJon

Have to admit that the more I think about that 2014 in review column by Blogging Foxxy, that I think the war has been lost. People who got hooked on Disney due to Walt ... due to DL ... due to WDW growing out of the swamp ... due to the amazing spectacle that was 1980s and into the 90s EPCOT Center ... even due to Michael Eisner's first 10-15 years with Disney ... we've all been beat by the newbs. The kiddies -- and adults -- who have either only been visiting in the 21st century or are simply BRAND addicts. Aided by Disney's relentless marketing and smarmy Social Media efforts in kissing up to Mommy Bloggers and well ... assorted misfits who will write or say anything to be accepted by cubicle dwellers in Celebration Place, the Dark Side has won.

Can't like this enough times.

I think that great blog post was really onto something about the two WDWs, and explains why people here can explain until their blue in the face how things have declined, while those unfamiliar with the past just don't get what anyone's complaining about and think everything is amazing - it's because they're judging it as Disney brand world, rather than an immersive vacation kingdom built by the Disney company.

BrerJon

I have pondered what if I was like my favorite gal 'Angie' ... what if my first visit to WDW was only in 2004 instead of 1974? Would I even like the place? How would it touch me? Would it affect me on the same level walking into Epcot that walking into EPCOT Center in 1982 did? Would my age matter ... meaning if I were a child in 2004 would I have been as wowed as I was back in '74? All interesting questions to think about.

I often wonder if WDW had been what it is now, what my younger self would have made of it, and whether it would have been as life-changing, but then I realised there's no way my family would have been able to afford it at today's (inflation adjusted) prices, so we would never have gone in the first place.

Disneyhead'71

Bob Iger is "risk adverse" when it comes to creative endeavours. The only thing Bob understands about creativity is that it is unpredictable and risky. Bob didn't create "Animated Feature", "Theme Park" (as we know it), "Destination Theme Park Resort". He didn't create a global theme park empire, a cruise line, or a multinational media conglomerate. Bob didn't even create MM+.

Bob is a little man standing on the shoulders of giants.

BrianLo

While I still have thoughts/observations (maybe even news) from WDW, I wanted to post a bit about HKDL ... because while I was enjoying EPCOT and Whoopi Goldberg telling the story about Baby Jesus a close associate was visiting my old 'home' park on Lantau. Long story short, but greatly respect this person's opinions and he had experienced Diagon Alley recently. His view on Mystic Manor was that it's the best attraction Disney (or anyone) has built in years. A true family fun ride that also had its thrills. An attraction that perfectly couples a ride system to effects to story. Again, I get that 99% of you (maybe 98%, hopefully) will never travel to HK. But I think it's important to know what Disney and UNI and others are building around the globe.

WDW gets the most basic of anything. It's sad, annoying, frustrating, but true.

For a resort that was built with layer upon layer of detail, it's not at all what it should be. But it is what it is.

Really can't argue with that. Mystic Manor is (in my opinion) the best attraction from the last decade. Diagon Alley is the by far the best land. We start to muddy the waters a bit once that timeframe picks up the opening of TDS.

PhotoDave219

Staggs is the one in control of the theme parks.

Anyone who thinks that Iger has anything to do with them is soley mistaken. All Iger cares about is the numbers.

Of course, these are the exact same holes that are unwilling to green-light a Star Wars expansion until they see the numbers from the next movie. Ya know, to make sure its a succesful franchise and the whatnot. I mean, its only the most profitable & marketed IP ever made, but the Disney execs are quite sold on this so-called "Star Wars".....

misterID

Really can't argue with that. Mystic Manor is (in my opinion) the best attraction from the last decade. Diagon Alley is the by far the best land. We start to muddy the waters a bit once that timeframe picks up the opening of TDS.
MM shows the draw backs to screen based attractions like EFG. AA's and set pieces just can't be topped for a real immersive experience and that feeling of actually being there, in the moment and in the story. It just can't. I wish EFG matched the level of everything else in DA, even the fantastic bank lobby.

I do hope MM finds its way to AK as its the only way I'll be able to ride it. I would love seeing a HM attraction use the MM tech and ride system also.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Any DVC member should go to the official DVCMember.com, and read the comments being left by members concerning the Poly, prices, points, park crowds, FP+, dining ADR, and not getting new attractions at the parks.
All of the comments made on Jan 13 are negative, not one member posted a positive comment about the new Poly DVC units, not one.

Interesting.

The DVC annual meeting was held on 12/11 at Coronado Springs (while we were up there) and 'Angie' and I had talked of going. But she wound up wanting more park time and we didn't go. ... I would have loved the chance to talk to Ken Potrock and others and ask uncomfortable questions.

Again, for us at this point in our lives, DVC works. But we are not typical in any way ... even in the power couple circles! :D

Disneyhead'71

MM shows the draw backs to screen based attractions like EFG. AA's and set pieces just can't be topped for a real immersive experience and that feeling of actually being there, in the moment and in the story. It just can't. I wish EFG matched the level of everything else in DA, even the fantastic bank lobby.

I do hope MM finds its way to AK as its the only way I'll be able to ride it. I would love seeing a HM attraction use the MM tech and ride system also.
Yeah, I just don't get the over the top gushing about AAs and "practical" sets. I personally think the best use of AAs ever is still HoP. With Gringott's Bank Lobby being a close second. The rest feel like a variation on CoP usually in some sort of medium to small scale vignette. I personally think Gringott's is 1000 times more "immersive" than SSE or UTS:JOTLM.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wall Street loves Iger for what's happened to Disney as a whole.

WDW fans should despise Iger for what's happened at WDW during the last 9 years.

Sometimes, your posts would be better if you just cut to the chase (something I'm told often too!)

The above is what I have been focusing on. But I'd also add that just because Wall Street loves Iger that it doesn't make him a great manager or make him good for the company in the long run.

What is Disney anymore? (a question that could be asked of Iger) ... Is it ESPN ... ABC Family ... Marvel ... Lucasfilm ... is it simply a collection of BRANDS akin to a Viacom? Disney was always different because it started with the dreams and creative vision of a pair of brothers from the Midwest. What is it now?

WDW1974

Original Poster
They should, but IMO, this goes right along with what @WDW1974 said about people who never visited WDW before Iger took over. Those people are used to rides not being maintained or breaking down. Theyre used to show elements not working for months on end. Theyre used to minimal additions to ride capacity. They have only seen the Grand Floridian with multiple lights burned out on the roof which is why they cant understand why it bothers people so much that the flagship resort looks terrible in that state.

Perhaps Iger knew it was just a matter of time until a new crop of visitors would accept lower quality as the standard in Orlando. They even defend it now. I guess they dont realize that 99% of what they LOVE about WDW was put in place by the previous caretakers, not the current ones, who rely so heavily on nostalgia yet dont respect it enough to even spend the proper money to maintain it.

It's amazing what lowering your standards and conditioning a whole new generation/era of Guests that the quality of 2015 is really Disney quality when anyone who regularly visited in the 20th century knows what BS that is.

And ultimately, as that buffoon Duncan Wardle said all that Disney cares about is that for every 'negative' comment online that they have 18 positive ones. It's all online propaganda fueled by the Lifestylers and Mommy Bloggers and ... you've heard this all before.

DisneyGentleman

What is Disney anymore? (a question that could be asked of Iger) ... Is it ESPN ... ABC Family ... Marvel ... Lucasfilm ... is it simply a collection of BRANDS akin to a Viacom? Disney was always different because it started with the dreams and creative vision of a pair of brothers from the Midwest. What is it now?
They will do a movie about Iger and call it "50 Shades of Beige".

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't know if I would call Iger's handling of WDW as neglect.

With steady growth, why invest more? What is the payoff?

I know that we, as guests/fans really want more and more all the time.

More Attractions = Greater Demand = Higher Prices = More Complaining

When the free market starts turning the tide on demands at WDW, there will be reason to focus more attention there.

Honestly, us who continue to spend money there are to blame as much Iger.

Voice your opinions with your pocketbook. The only language business understands.

So wrong on so many levels yet this is what I've come to expect from a significant portion of the fan community.

It's like ''Give us c-rap and we'll keep on coming if the addiction is strong or maybe we won't and that will force you to change.'' That's just not how this works and it's not how any of this works in 21st century American capitalism.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It's all online propaganda fueled by the Lifestylers and Mommy Bloggers and ... you've heard this all before.

They have built the most sturdy house of cards I've ever seen. And I don't look at it to watch it fall down... because it wont, I look at it because it is psychological mind fondling in action and it's intriguing to see how far they take it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom