A Spirited Perfect Ten

BrerJon

Well when one of your Shanghai E-Tickets is Tron-based, it'd probably help to remind that market of it. Also, it's popular enough I suppose.

At least there might be *something* the Chinese have heard of to be in the Shanghai park.

Typical Disney originality though... I can't imagine this would have been greenlit for a second if Transformers hadn't pulled in so much Chinese cash.

lazyboy97o

Planning a DLR trip for next Jan, haven't been since 2001 so I have a question. Seems like a good amount of rides went down for refurb this past Jan 12, is this something that occurs annually or are more closed than usual to prep for the 60th?
It's become pretty annual but this year is more aggressive. The celebration lasting at least a year may be motivation to hold off next year.

Travel Junkie

Planning a DLR trip for next Jan, haven't been since 2001 so I have a question. Seems like a good amount of rides went down for refurb this past Jan 12, is this something that occurs annually or are more closed than usual to prep for the 60th?

It was more aggressive this year but expect multiple attractions down during any off season month. They cram a lot in both parks though. 4 WDW parks vs 2 DLR parks and there are just about equal the number attractions so I wouldn't worry about not having enough to do.

FigmentJedi

At least there might be *something* the Chinese have heard of to be in the Shanghai park.

Typical Disney originality though... I can't imagine this would have been greenlit for a second if Transformers hadn't pulled in so much Chinese cash.
Actually was greenlit around the time Legacy came out, it's just been in development hell with the script and the director doing other stuff.

NearTheEars

Another less than deep thought, but I was at a local mall today, one of the few in the area that still has a Disney Store. I walked in and spent about 12 minutes nosing around.

It was clean and organized. Princesses, Star Wars, Marvel and Cars/Planes upfront as anyone here would expect (I hope!)

But couldn't help but seeing Bob Iger (he of the ''Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China'' fame) yelling at me using obscenity (like he is prone to do when the cameras aren't on) and telling me to ''Get the eff away. We don't want you. This isn't YOUR Disney, it's MY Disney.''

I guess if you are between eight months and maybe 11 years, you might be interested in the product. If you are a Lifestyler that just has to have one of their throwaway tees or special 101 Dalmatians vinylmation (can we put a fork in that one yet?), then maybe there is something for you.

I honestly couldn't find anything at all. I thought about buying a Cars diecast of Ramone (marked down to $5.99 from $9.99) that is part of some Artist's Series because I do like franchise and I have a few diecasts in my office (no, not John Lassetire like!) But in the end, I couldn't bring myself to do so.

The Disney Store that was mine wasn't 95% aimed at pre-pubescents, their mommies and daddies and the occasional arrested development OCD adult who will buy ... say 654 Cars diecasts because Disney keeps releasing different series. Nope, mine was maybe 30% aimed at them and had high priced artwork, collectible items, books, music, DVDs, nice quality ADULT clothing.

And just like EPCOT Center (and, hopefully, any credibility Willow Iger once had), it be gone for good!

#firewillowbay #disneycensors #IgerfumblesChina

Trying to stay away from the old "Disney is a business blah blah ..." But if your version of the Disney store went away from stocking more adult products I assume it's because it was not profitable. And we all know by now that money is king for the modern TWDC. I know little about the store's financials so I can't comment on whether they are doing better with their new approach.

The store at the mall back home in Ohio closed long ago. But I rarely found myself in it because not much really interested me. I wasn't in the market for a Simba plush, or a Hunchback print.

Now, I've become a fan of the parks, so I find myself at the OTown outlets every couple of months picking up the discounted merch.

I just can't stomach paying $30 for a T-shirt at the parks. Like I've said before, I'm part of the problem when it comes to WDW hating their APs.

ETA: sorry to drag this up from a few pages ago. Seems I've bounced around thread a bit.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

There have been rumors Transformers 5 will have a predominately Chinese cast and not just window dressings like Iron Man 3.

RSoxNo1

Bring on Tron 3, especially if we get more of this...

TronLegacyOliviaWildeHott.jpg
I prefer the Playboy version. Tron Legacy was mediocre, it would be nice if Disney and Hollywood in general would stop rebooting things that are failures.

TalkingHead

Days like today ... 84 and sunny ... remind me of how much I love walking around EPCOT.

It did feel pretty nice outside today, if a little hot. This evening, though, was perfect Florida weather. (But how often is it perfect?!)

I guess you could say that.

My only point was UNI Creative is just as incompetently run as WDI and the folks making the decisions are largely clueless. Again, I can't give specifics here. But one example would be akin to a surgeon asking a nurse ''Do we have to put the patient under?'' before doing open heart surgery. You have no idea what this pertains to, I know, but this nails it.

It really is that bad over there.

I have to wonder how much WB/Rowling's oversight has kept Universal in line, too. Of course, running your new E-ticket without the pull-away screen in the climactic scene (which is the current state of Gringotts) is very Disney-like of them. The difference, though, is that the screen will be repaired, not abandoned. Many of the effects that weren't working in Potter 2.0 have been more reliable in recent months. WB's pressure is a good thing, I suspect.

Again, what has saved them is that somehow they are pumping out one quality project after another. It isn't due to caring or brains. It certainly helps that Disney, right now (things may change in 2018 with Pandora and 2020-21 with Star Wars), isn't even playing the game. They've just taken their ball and gone home.

Ah, you forgot about the revolutionary Disney Springs (coming in 2016? 2017?). I had a chance to wander the area today (oh, and I took approximately 200 photos of the new parking garage. I think I like Disney parking garages better than their restrooms ;)). The place is a construction zone. Construction walls up as far as the eye can see. I understand it's in transition, but you'd think a slow construction schedule wouldn't be advisable.

The section of the Marketplace Co-Op with the theme-park designed homegoods was interesting. Too much of the merch is designed for Adventureland and the Tiki Room, however. And I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the attraction poster glasses. Something about the image quality felt cheap. There were some nice items -- I came away with a Haunted Mansion mug. But I couldn't help but feel like this was a dirty nostalgia factory. So much of the stuff plays on WDW that doesn't exist anymore or only exists as "retro" attractions...Toad, 20K, Tiki, etc.

Side note, I'd never seen La Nouba before. What an incredible show! I checked, and it debuted in December 1998 (a different time in the life of WDW). Somehow I doubt that Disney Springs is going to impress me as much.

If I may, Eisner's era brought us Cirque du Soleil. Iger's era brought us a tethered hot air balloon that you can ride in for $18 for five minutes.

Omnispace

That's a straight quote, not satire? Unbelievable. They could at least pretend, right?

That quote was from the article but describes the approach that Disney takes to make everyone's experience less stressful. Remove choice and the perils of making a decision are eased. It sounds very Orwellian if you ask me.

There was also this quote by Staggs about MagicBands and FP+: “It lets people’s vacations unfold naturally,” Staggs says. “The ability to plan and personalize has given way to spontaneity.”

Thus: planning=spontaneity.

Animaniac93-98

Oh thank god, the franchise isn't dead! I'm still bitter about the cancellation of Tron Uprising.

I loved Tron Uprising, arguably better than either movie. Best Disney TV animation in a long time with great production values, a proper storyline that got better as the series progressed and none of that BS wannabe-Nickelodeon style humour. Too bad they ended it on a cliff hanger.

Well when one of your Shanghai E-Tickets is Tron-based, it'd probably help to remind that market of it. Also, it's popular enough I suppose.

Must have sold enough ElecTRONica drinks, I guess.

Last edited:

bhg469

It did feel pretty nice outside today, if a little hot. This evening, though, was perfect Florida weather. (But how often is it perfect?!)

I have to wonder how much WB/Rowling's oversight has kept Universal in line, too. Of course, running your new E-ticket without the pull-away screen in the climactic scene (which is the current state of Gringotts) is very Disney-like of them. The difference, though, is that the screen will be repaired, not abandoned. Many of the effects that weren't working in Potter 2.0 have been more reliable in recent months. WB's pressure is a good thing, I suspect.

Ah, you forgot about the revolutionary Disney Springs (coming in 2016? 2017?). I had a chance to wander the area today (oh, and I took approximately 200 photos of the new parking garage. I think I like Disney parking garages better than their restrooms ;)). The place is a construction zone. Construction walls up as far as the eye can see. I understand it's in transition, but you'd think a slow construction schedule wouldn't be advisable.

The section of the Marketplace Co-Op with the theme-park designed homegoods was interesting. Too much of the merch is designed for Adventureland and the Tiki Room, however. And I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the attraction poster glasses. Something about the image quality felt cheap. There were some nice items -- I came away with a Haunted Mansion mug. But I couldn't help but feel like this was a dirty nostalgia factory. So much of the stuff plays on WDW that doesn't exist anymore or only exists as "retro" attractions...Toad, 20K, Tiki, etc.

Side note, I'd never seen La Nouba before. What an incredible show! I checked, and it debuted in December 1998 (a different time in the life of WDW). Somehow I doubt that Disney Springs is going to impress me as much.

If I may, Eisner's era brought us Cirque du Soleil. Iger's era brought us a tethered hot air balloon that you can ride in for $18 for five minutes.
I was at Down town disney a few days ago as well. My opinions are similar and would also add the sections of elevated railway sections are odd. They don't serve a purpose and I think it's a wasted opportunity to provide an additional walkway.

The section with that headphone store and sunglass hut shoe store etc, reminds me of an airport terminal, and not in a good way. I'll be interested to see the final product but what I have seen that seems to be completed, is really not good.

I recall the concept drawings having a sizeable indoor section, is that not built yet?

Also the food trucks... wow are they dead or what?! Not one customer between all of them....

The new restaurants looks good but there is a severe lack of affordable options there. Not much counter service at all and I think that will hurt them eventually. I just cant see these new high end places doing well for a long time.

TalkingHead

That quote was from the article but describes the approach that Disney takes to make everyone's experience less stressful. Remove choice and the perils of making a decision are eased. It sounds very Orwellian if you ask me.

There was also this quote by Staggs about MagicBands and FP+: “It lets people’s vacations unfold naturally,” Staggs says. “The ability to plan and personalize has given way to spontaneity.”

Thus: planning=spontaneity.

Ah, well, that's just twisted. No wonder I haven't been back to the parks recently. I haven't studied the rigid FP+ system enough to enjoy its spontaneity.

TalkingHead

I was at Down town disney a few days ago as well. My opinions are similar and would also add the sections of elevated railway sections are odd. They don't serve a purpose and I think it's a wasted opportunity to provide an additional walkway.

I'm not seeing how the concept art fits with what's there. When is this supposed to be completed? Because I feel like I've been hearing about this project (the redo of PI) for years, and there's constructions walls (almost) literally all the way from the parking garage to the Marketplace.

Honestly, they could've done everyone a favor and taken a wrecking ball to Planet Hollywood. It looks like an out-of-place relic from the 90s heyday (especially with its broken neon sign tonight that read Planet Holl---ood). It's a pain to navigate around. I haven't followed the Disney Springs news closely, but Planet Hollywood is staying, right?

The section with that headphone store and sunglass hut shoe store etc, reminds me of an airport terminal, and not in a good way. I'll be interested to see the final product but what I have seen that seems to be completed, is really not good.

I'll just say the shopping looks boring and generic to me. I don't stop at the shops at Citywalk either. But I didn't see much to get excited about other than the Leaky Cauldron store. (No, wait, that was Candy Cauldron. Never mind.)

Also the food trucks... wow are they dead or what?! Not one customer between all of them....

And their location is weird. Sorta set off to the side and the serving windows seemed to be out of view on the opposite side for a couple of the trucks. I guess they're hoping to catch people going to DisneyQuest or maybe people wandering further from AMC? Not sure, but yeah, they looked dead.

The new restaurants looks good but there is a severe lack of affordable options there. Not much counter service at all and I think that will hurt them eventually. I just cant see these new high end places doing well for a long time.

We dined at Raglan Road. It was really good, I liked it tremendously. But -- like most places on property -- the prices could give someone sticker shock if they didn't know the restaurant is in the overpriced capital of Florida. I'm not sure what the clientele is supposed to be for Disney Springs, but the stroller crowd and teenage selfies queens probably aren't enough to support some of these restaurants.

A really minor nitpick/observation: the music loop for the area must be pretty short. Before and after Cirque, I heard the loop repeat itself with Michael Jackson's "Rock with You," the Bee Gee's "You Should Be Dancing," and Talking Heads' "Letting the Days Go By."

Now, the choice of songs is pretty good, all things considered. The Talking Heads is extremely ironic given the lyrics, but the Bee Gee's song was the most interesting. I kept racking my brain trying think what movie this song was in. And it dawned on me it was in Despicable Me 2. Which made me want to ride Minion Mayhem. Nice work, Dis.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom