A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure none of the 'usual suspects' here grasp that concept that the Chinese Communist Party is in COMPLETE control of SDL, Disney has been ALLOWED to put up the money and the IP for the park.

I'm STILL wondering WHY the Chinese are letting MDE wander SDL at will so to speak, Is there a subtext there???. It's definitely a FOXTROT-UNIFORM to Iger and company but what ELSE is it.

It's as simple as people in China like MDE. They don't like Bob Iger. Just another thing for me to love about the Chinese!

(But also Michael was simply visiting as a private citizen. I've said this before and I'll repeat it for my friends in Burbank, but if I were in Shanghai tomorrow, I could get on the site and get taken around like royalty ... even if Zenia Mucha picked up the phone and unleashed a string of expletives, which she wouldn't do because that would be very, very bad. Sometimes, it is good to have friends in high places. And friends who really don't give a damn what Bob Iger thinks, feels or desires. He should think about that tonight!)

#firewillowbay #disneycensors #IgerfumblesChina

WDWFigment

C'mon, a Willow Bay?!? Why not add Brian Williams and Bill O'Reilly too because at least they have some gravitas and some cred.

This is like having a Kardashian at your wedding to give it some class. Way off, Tom.

Absolutely true to an extent. Something I have tried to instill in some of my younger friends who have starry-eyed notions of academia in general.

But there were candidates out there with plenty of legit real-world experience. Being a talking head on Sunday's GMA and a model for estee lauder just don't speak to me as what should be representing one of the nation's most prestigious j-schools.

Would you want Saul Goodman representing your law school? How about any of the real world bottom feeders that wind up trying those cases you see on Nancy Grace? I don't think so.

The Willow Bays of journalism have no place at ANY j-school let alone the Annenberg. You're going to need a far more compelling argument, counselor. :)

Okay, perhaps Ms. Bay, specifically, is a bad example. Besides some show regarding the NBA, I don't think I recall ever seeing anything she's done, so I can't speak to her work.

All I'm suggesting is that I don't like comparing resumés and saying someone doesn't "belong" in academia as a result of being less accomplished on paper. I think the world of higher education needs a real shake-up from the status quo and needs to bring in more outsiders. Not necessarily like Willow Bay, but with a CV with a bit more (for lack of a better term) variety.

This is totally tangential to the dialogue about the whole China article.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's as simple as people in China like MDE. They don't like Bob Iger. Just another thing for me to love about the Chinese!

(But also Michael was simply visiting as a private citizen. I've said this before and I'll repeat it for my friends in Burbank, but if I were in Shanghai tomorrow, I could get on the site and get taken around like royalty ... even if Zenia Mucha picked up the phone and unleashed a string of expletives, which she wouldn't do because that would be very, very bad. Sometimes, it is good to have friends in high places. And friends who really don't give a damn what Bob Iger thinks, feels or desires. He should think about that tonight!)

That works for me!, And I do like MY Chinese hosts as well and they humor my pathetic attempts at speaking the language.

Cody5294

Way too early to read ANYTHING into that art. Shrek may well be there, but that isn't definite. Most of what you see isn't definite.

What I know is and can safely put out? Potter (all of what O-Town has largely) and a direct clone of Transformers.

It's the stuff I can't talk about that is far more intriguing. Just think properties that UNI has used elsewhere using totally different methods of delivering guests into the story. ... And some uniquely Chinese stuff as well, of course.

Wow having both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley in one park will be pretty interesting. I wonder how its going to flow

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Nothing at all unusual about that in the entertainment and media business. Nothing.

Maybe so. I was thinking about it more as a business piece, but it was in the Huffington Post so maybe it wasn't that out of character.

Quinnmac000

If Walt Disney Co wanted to play it smart, Disneyland South Korea. I have seen more people wearing Mickey Gear and stores selling Mickey stuff than at Disney itself. And literally so many different covers of let it go and still selling well there.

Just more common sense to do that.

RSoxNo1

But that just seems to be the fundamental EPCOT problem. It is literally raking in $$$ on food, booze and merchandise. There is absolutely no reason anyone would ever desire fixing it.
Except they are "Fixing it" by putting in Frozen. They are going against the driving force of World Showcase / Pleasure Island Part 2 to shoehorn in an IP that deserves more in an area that deserves to not be bastardized.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If Walt Disney Co wanted to play it smart, Disneyland South Korea. I have seen more people wearing Mickey Gear and stores selling Mickey stuff than at Disney itself. And literally so many different covers of let it go and still selling well there.

Just more common sense to do that.
Do you want to start a war? :p

giphy.gif

The Empress Lilly

Okay, perhaps Ms. Bay, specifically, is a bad example. Besides some show regarding the NBA, I don't think I recall ever seeing anything she's done, so I can't speak to her work.

All I'm suggesting is that I don't like comparing resumés and saying someone doesn't "belong" in academia as a result of being less accomplished on paper. I think the world of higher education needs a real shake-up from the status quo and needs to bring in more outsiders. Not necessarily like Willow Bay, but with a CV with a bit more (for lack of a better term) variety.

This is totally tangential to the dialogue about the whole China article.
While we're being tangential, when a friend of mine was in law school, part of teaching staff were lifelong academics who went uninterrupted from student to PhD to university teacher; and part were former or still practitioning lawyers and legal advisors with little teaching experience and no research record to speak of. Both groups looked down upon one another with disdain bordering on contempt.

When this friend of mine went on to teach law himself he managed the not insignificant feat of lacking both academic and professional expertise.
paranoid.gif

Tigger1988

Planning a DLR trip for next Jan, haven't been since 2001 so I have a question. Seems like a good amount of rides went down for refurb this past Jan 12, is this something that occurs annually or are more closed than usual to prep for the 60th?

ChrisFL

Premium Member

First, this is exciting.

Second, I've wanted to ask this question for a long time and now may be the time...is there ever any reason for Disney or Universal to release a movie BECAUSE of a theme park attraction first...or is it always the other way around? I don't mean POTC or HM like has been done on really really old attractions but a recent attraction being built, like the TRON ride in Shanghai.

mahnamahna101

I'd expect to see a larger presence of SpongeBob and Nick properties at UNI parks and resorts worldwide.:)

My strong hunch is this is Gary Snyder's doing too!:greedy::devilish::cool:

After the success of SpongeBob 2, I was definitely expecting talks of a Bikini Bottom mini-land to return. Glad to hear!

I'd guess TMNT and Dora as the other two Nick properties that would get larger prominence in Universal parks. Almost all of their other well-known brands are a bit dated or niche.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom