A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDWFigment

Because ego and that HuffPo piece was waiting on the Bloomberg terminals of many financial analysts who cover DIS and the media industry. If there is any group you don't want to consider the possibility that you fudged up big time, it's them.

For context, maybe we should look at the resumes of current/former heads of prominent communications/journalism schools. I just want to point out in advance that some Comm programs only have deans and not heads of J-Schools like USC Annenberg.​

American University
Sanford "Sandy" Ungar: 1986-1999
Harvard University
Correspondent Washington Post and National Public Radio
Host All Things Considered
Director Voice of America (VoA)

Jeffrey B. Rutenbeck, Ph.D.: 2012-Present
B.A.: The Colorado College
M.A.: University of Missouri-Columbia
Ph.D.: University of Washington
Professor University of Denver
Director Digital Media Studies UDenver
Director of Comm. Studies Champlain College
Media Consultant for Fortune 100 Companies, the United States Air Force and others
President International Digital Media and Arts Association​

Boston University
Thomas Fiedler: 2008-Present
B.S.: United States Merchant Marine Academy (Engineering)
M.S.: Boston University (Communications)
Staff Writer Miami Herald (30 Years)

Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism
Nicholas Lemann: 2003-Present
B.A.: Harvard University (American History and Literature)
President Harvard Crimson
Staff Writer Washington Post
Staff Writer The Atlantic
Staff Writer and Washington Correspondent The New Yorker

Northwestern University
Barbara J. O'Keefe: ????- Present
B.A., M.A., and Ph.D.: University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
Professor Wayne State University
Professor Penn State University
Professor University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
Professor University of Michigan

Syracuse University SI Newhouse School of Public Communications
Lorraine Branham: 2008-Present
Education: Not Publicly Listed
Reporter and Editor Baltimore Sun
Editor Philadelphia Inquirer
Director School of Journalism UT Austin

USC Annenberg

Michael Parks: 2001-2008, 2013-2014 Interim
B.A.: University of Windsor (Classic Languages and Literature)
Vietnam Correspondent Baltimore Sun
Foreign Correspondent, Deputy Foreign Editor and Editor Los Angeles Times
Professor USC Annenberg

and finally...
Willow Bay: 2014-Present
B.A.: University of Pennsylvania
M.B.A.: New York University
Model and Spokesperson Estée Lauder
Correspondent NBC Today Show
Co-Anchor Good Morning America Sunday
Anchor CNN (CNN and Entertainment Weekly, CNN and Fortune, and Moneyline)
Senior Editor Huffington Post
Special Correspondent Bloomberg​

I don't know about you guys, but one of those doesn't look like the others. There's a big difference between a talking head and a life long academic or reporter.

This is totally separate from the ongoing conversation about that HuffPo China article (and there's plenty to criticize about Bay's potential(?) involvement in the particular situation), but if I were either in charge of a journalism school or a student at one, I'd want someone like Willow Bay there.

Having spent too much time both working at and learning in higher education institutes, I don't have a ton of respect for lifelong academics. Aside from them, generally, being pretentious and catty, they often lack real world experience and have romanticized, unrealistic ideas of the learning process. In many cases, these incredibly accomplished individuals (on paper) don't bring nearly as much to the table for their students as the ones who have actually worked in the real world. That was my experience, at least, and I highly doubt I'm unique in this regard.

In the case of journalism, the landscape is incredibly dynamic. Regardless of what anyone's value judgments on that are, it is what it is. Schools need to be preparing students for the actual job market. I'd hazard a guess that many j-school academics are not doing that, but instead holding onto their lofty notions of what journalism should be, rather than what it has become.

Having a bunch of framed pieces of paper and a stacked CV doesn't mean you're actually more capable in real world situations than those without. All it means is that other people with those same pieces of paper and scholarly publications will be accepting of you.

I'm not suggesting that schools should stack their lineups solely with the Willow Bays of journalism, but having those types there to give balance to the world of higher learning, in my mind, would be a great thing that should be lauded, not criticized. Leave the criticism to the sharks of higher learning.

lebeau

Or the leader of the crows.

I figured that would be RDJ.

53ce5bf03b73b.jpg

Omnispace

Reading THIS article today I couldn't help but think of some of the conversation around here. No doubt this particular description of Tom Staggs is vindication for Gary Snyder's earlier article, "Disney CEO Readies Magic Carpet for Exit"... ;)
Tom Staggs has the ramrod posture, trapezoidal jaw, and friendly face of a former varsity star you encounter at your high school reunion.

and this...
Staggs, now the chief operating officer of the Walt Disney Company as a whole and until recently the chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, is widely thought to be in line to become Disney’s next CEO. He was the one who had to sell Iger and the Disney board on MagicBand. Like many corporate bigwigs, he has a talent for hiding radical ideas in a cloak of suave common sense calibrated to calm Wall Street. But every sentence he utters seems to be a koan that encapsulates years of teeth-gnashing about the ever-expanding borders of high technology.

Some interesting insights about the MagicBand experience to make one scratch their head....
“Walt Disney World is vast. There’s more to do than you could do in a month,” Staggs says. “That choice is overwhelming.” In fact, it’s called the paradox of choice: You make people happier not by giving them more options but by stripping away as many as you can. The redesigned Disney World experience constrains choices by dispersing them, beginning long before the trip is under way.
“It lets people’s vacations unfold naturally,” Staggs says. “The ability to plan and personalize has given way to spontaneity.”

WDW1974

Original Poster
Days like today ... 84 and sunny ... remind me of how much I love walking around EPCOT.

But think about that statement.

Remember when EPCOT was so very much more than a place to walk around, maybe eat or get hammered on overpriced liquor?

I don't want a long discussion debating what it is vs. what it was unless someone truly has a view that hasn't been expressed here and elsewhere zillions of times.

But that just seems to be the fundamental EPCOT problem. It is literally raking in $$$ on food, booze and merchandise. There is absolutely no reason anyone would ever desire fixing it.

A theme park that can get away with a $45 a la carte steak for lunch needs absolutely nothing, but Lifestylers crowing about Anna and Elsa topiaries and this TO DIE FOR $6.75 'sample' at one of the food booths.

#firewillowbay #disneycensors #IgerfumblesChina

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Another less than deep thought, but I was at a local mall today, one of the few in the area that still has a Disney Store. I walked in and spent about 12 minutes nosing around.

It was clean and organized. Princesses, Star Wars, Marvel and Cars/Planes upfront as anyone here would expect (I hope!)

But couldn't help but seeing Bob Iger (he of the ''Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China'' fame) yelling at me using obscenity (like he is prone to do when the cameras aren't on) and telling me to ''Get the eff away. We don't want you. This isn't YOUR Disney, it's MY Disney.''

I guess if you are between eight months and maybe 11 years, you might be interested in the product. If you are a Lifestyler that just has to have one of their throwaway tees or special 101 Dalmatians vinylmation (can we put a fork in that one yet?), then maybe there is something for you.

I honestly couldn't find anything at all. I thought about buying a Cars diecast of Ramone (marked down to $5.99 from $9.99) that is part of some Artist's Series because I do like franchise and I have a few diecasts in my office (no, not John Lassetire like!) But in the end, I couldn't bring myself to do so.

The Disney Store that was mine wasn't 95% aimed at pre-pubescents, their mommies and daddies and the occasional arrested development OCD adult who will buy ... say 654 Cars diecasts because Disney keeps releasing different series. Nope, mine was maybe 30% aimed at them and had high priced artwork, collectible items, books, music, DVDs, nice quality ADULT clothing.

And just like EPCOT Center (and, hopefully, any credibility Willow Iger once had), it be gone for good!

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Is the Kidzone replacement going to be based off of multiple IPs?

Not quite. It wouldn't be my pick. But I love the sound of the attractions. NO SCREENS! Real family attractions, which is totally an upgrade from the kiddie land that is there now.

I'd say that this will likely be going into Beijing as well although those plans are totally in flux. Yes, the master plan for the park/resort isn't done. But they do have five plus years before opening, so I think that is fine.

I'm just really hoping they do something kewl with ... nah, no way to put this without UNI knowing exactly what I know is likely going in (this is some cool stuff!)

#firewillowbay #DisneyCensors #IgerfumblesChina

WDW1974

Original Poster
You keep repeating the no Iger photo at SDL, but I guess I've missed why it is so important to see him walking around the construction site.

Yes, I guess you have.

it's only the most important P&R (and one could easily argue company as a whole) move Disney has made in the 21st century IF it succeeds in getting people to know and love the BRAND and allows Disney into the hearts, minds and, more importantly, wallets of China's ever-growing middle class.

Iger hasn't been seen because his overlords at Shendi don't want a photo released for whatever reason (Shendi, btw, is the local arm of the Communist Party if you still can't keep up). To have a resort that he is touting as everything but his legacy (when that's what he hopes history will record, not how he dressed his wife for the Oscars in the tackiest thing available) and in four years not be allowed to put out a photo IN THE USA speaks volumes about who is running that show.

I've been saying this for years, but since I've lived and worked in China and have many friends there, my opinion must be the same as a fanboi's on new wall carpeting.

When Michael Eisner visited last year and Tweeted photos of himself, he was sending Bob and all of the people remaining at Disney that have issues a very not so subtle FU. Because Michael would never have given up what Bob has just to plant his flag in the mainland.

You folks do get that Disney isn't in control of ANYthing there, right?

You get it yet?

#firewillowbay #DisneyCensors #IgerfunblesChina

WDW1974

Original Poster
So is that the Universal Difference? (Hey, as long as we're getting quality products in the park, I'm pretty content.)

I guess you could say that.

My only point was UNI Creative is just as incompetently run as WDI and the folks making the decisions are largely clueless. Again, I can't give specifics here. But one example would be akin to a surgeon asking a nurse ''Do we have to put the patient under?'' before doing open heart surgery. You have no idea what this pertains to, I know, but this nails it.

It really is that bad over there.

Again, what has saved them is that somehow they are pumping out one quality project after another. It isn't due to caring or brains. It certainly helps that Disney, right now (things may change in 2018 with Pandora and 2020-21 with Star Wars), isn't even playing the game. They've just taken their ball and gone home.

Sorry Disney fanbois, but UNI is the one that FOR NOW has no competition in O-Town. The truth does hurt, but not as much as waking up in a strange dude's bed that's old enough to be older than your father and not having a clue what (or who) went down!:eek::devilish:;)

I'd count myself a casual fan of Star Trek, but it seems like it might have been a problematic property to fit into the parks. If they were serious about going the route of a in-theater effects show, then really why bother? If they were going to go blow-your-mind E-ticket, that would have been an interesting property.

I love Star Trek. Many times more than Star Wars. I think you could do very kewl things with it. But the rights are all tied up (even if it simply is between Redstone-controlled corps). Much like LotR a year or two ago, UNI fanbois seem to think Trek is coming. It isn't. Maybe sometime down the road things will change ... but right now it is only going into that Paramount-licensed park near London that is actually crawling ahead.

I visited the Royal Pacific Resort today for the first time (and had tasty Tchoup Chop, too). I was impressed with the resort -- guess I've moved on from WDW in a lot of ways, because the Poly waterfall crisis didn't bother me at all and the Royal Pacific seems like a perfectly fine Poly substitute.

I've said so for year. I love the place, the ambiance, the decor. I view it as the Poly if the Poly had class.

Of course, UNI isn't about to rip out the fountains in the middle for a pin shack or so you can drive doubel-wides through it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes, I guess you have.

it's only the most important P&R (and one could easily argue company as a whole) move Disney has made in the 21st century IF it succeeds in getting people to know and love the BRAND and allows Disney into the hearts, minds and, more importantly, wallets of China's ever-growing middle class.

Iger hasn't been seen because his overlords at Shendi don't want a photo released for whatever reason (Shendi, btw, is the local arm of the Communist Party if you still can't keep up). To have a resort that he is touting as everything but his legacy (when that's what he hopes history will record, not how he dressed his wife for the Oscars in the tackiest thing available) and in four years not be allowed to put out a photo IN THE USA speaks volumes about who is running that show.

I've been saying this for years, but since I've lived and worked in China and have many friends there, my opinion must be the same as a fanboi's on new wall carpeting.

When Michael Eisner visited last year and Tweeted photos of himself, he was sending Bob and all of the people remaining at Disney that have issues a very not so subtle FU. Because Michael would never have given up what Bob has just to plant his flag in the mainland.

You folks do get that Disney isn't in control of ANYthing there, right?

You get it yet?

#firewillowbay #DisneyCensors #IgerfunblesChina

I'm pretty sure none of the 'usual suspects' here grasp that concept that the Chinese Communist Party is in COMPLETE control of SDL, Disney has been ALLOWED to put up the money and the IP for the park.

I'm STILL wondering WHY the Chinese are letting MDE wander SDL at will so to speak, Is there a subtext there???. It's definitely a FOXTROT-UNIFORM to Iger and company but what ELSE is it.

BrerJon

Mike S

Not quite. It wouldn't be my pick. But I love the sound of the attractions. NO SCREENS! Real family attractions, which is totally an upgrade from the kiddie land that is there now.

I'd say that this will likely be going into Beijing as well although those plans are totally in flux. Yes, the master plan for the park/resort isn't done. But they do have five plus years before opening, so I think that is fine.

I'm just really hoping they do something kewl with ... nah, no way to put this without UNI knowing exactly what I know is likely going in (this is some cool stuff!)

I don't mind screens if they're done right and can immerse me in whatever is going on (Spider-Man, Simpsons, and yes, Transformers and Gringotts imo. And hopefully Kong in 2016). Just when done wrong, like Shrek. However, a number of new rides with no screens does sound like a breath of fresh air :)

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is totally separate from the ongoing conversation about that HuffPo China article (and there's plenty to criticize about Bay's potential(?) involvement in the particular situation), but if I were either in charge of a journalism school or a student at one, I'd want someone like Willow Bay there.

Having spent too much time both working at and learning in higher education institutes, I don't have a ton of respect for lifelong academics. Aside from them, generally, being pretentious and catty, they often lack real world experience and have romanticized, unrealistic ideas of the learning process. In many cases, these incredibly accomplished individuals (on paper) don't bring nearly as much to the table for their students as the ones who have actually worked in the real world. That was my experience, at least, and I highly doubt I'm unique in this regard.

In the case of journalism, the landscape is incredibly dynamic. Regardless of what anyone's value judgments on that are, it is what it is. Schools need to be preparing students for the actual job market. I'd hazard a guess that many j-school academics are not doing that, but instead holding onto their lofty notions of what journalism should be, rather than what it has become.

Having a bunch of framed pieces of paper and a stacked CV doesn't mean you're actually more capable in real world situations than those without. All it means is that other people with those same pieces of paper and scholarly publications will be accepting of you.

I'm not suggesting that schools should stack their lineups solely with the Willow Bays of journalism, but having those types there to give balance to the world of higher learning, in my mind, would be a great thing that should be lauded, not criticized. Leave the criticism to the sharks of higher learning.

There is being a Spokesmodel which is what Willow was and there is being a JOURNALIST like Woodward and Bernstein who broke Watergate. Willow was 'eye candy', W&B did the heavy lifting and uncovered secrets that official Washington would have much rather kept quiet.

Or Poitras and Greenwald blowing open the fact that the NSA was exceeding even the tin foil hat brigade's wildest dreams/nightmares. THATS JOURNALISM looking good on TV is not journalism.

I have no animus for Willow she probably is quite nice as an individual but being associated with spiking a story if true goes against everything professional journalists stand for.

Considering both my father and I paid for school by being behind a camera in our college days journalistic integrity is something I take quite seriously.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Since colleges and universities rarely fire anybody, we should really call it #nonrenewwillowbay.

Of course if she actually was qualified to be a director with tenure included she would be protected. I maintain there is a quid pro quo agreement, perhaps not on paper, but in networking opportunities. USC must believe she can help students get internships, employment, and provide speakers in the field if she is in this position. This, my friends is a conflict of interest. Unfortunately it happens all over. Business leaders are put on boards so that they open "partnerships" which benefit the college and its students.

And @ford91exploder is correct in that most colleges are faculty governed. It is a requirement of accreditation that the college be governed by several entities with each having representation at the decision making table. Trustees, faculty, staff and administration, classified employees all should have input into decisions. The accrediting bodies seek to find examples where this happens. USC won't lose accreditation nor the department but it might come up when they are reviewed. Faculty councils are like a pack of wolves. I have seen faculty members tear each other and administrative staff to shreds with their rhetoric. When they are protected with tenure it gets even more dramatic.

edit: #nonrenewwillowbay

I don't see her getting fired outright. Bob would never allow for a black eye like that, which would then have all sorts of reporters (many who seem outright AFRAID to go after this story, while agreeing that just on the face of it, it looks bad) asking questions.

No, much more likely that she agrees to, in a relatively short period of time (week or months at the most), step down because she needs to spend more time with family. For all we know, that could already be in the works. Maybe that's why Mr. Snyder hasn't commented to my knowledge.

No one wanted her there beyond the folks who do fundraising. They are not being altruistic or noble by trying to use this situation to remove her. They are taking advantage of an easy situation. I'd do the same thing! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom