A Spirited Perfect Ten

GoofGoof

Premium Member
i like what you wrote largely. I just question the personal axe to grind with Iger.

That's conjecture on your part, nothing more.

I hate the man, but I have never been formally introduced and I've never had dealings with him. Yet, I am extremely critical of him online (and off) just like I was his predecessor who I did know a bit.

I can't stand the man because of what he is doing to the company and its legacy and because of what kind of human being he is. Not because he won't send me a LE pin to celebrate 33 years as an APer at WDW, though.

The column was more about Disney's struggles with their BRAND in China than it was about Bob personally. Almost everyone I know who has read it came back with the same feelings. But they are not fanatical Disney theme park fans.

#firewillowbay #disneycensors #IgerfumblesChina
The reason I said "personal" axe to grind is he took some shots at Iger and Staggs/Rasulo in both his pieces that were more personal than business. Talking about personalities and appearances as opposed to just strategy or business.

Absimilliard

Um, isn't that exactly what they did? But they threw in the coaster elements as well?

Not really. Think about it: beside the one sequence where the Goblin runs next to you and that sound effect after the first drop, what happens BETWEEN the screens on Gringotts? Nearly nothing. You are just rolled over to the next scene. Meanwhile, on Spiderman, you got things happening: an encounter with a garbage truck, projection of rats running on shelves, the anti gravity cannon shooting stuff, etc. This is what was missing on Gringotts.

Funmeister

Spirited Monday Musings:

Another day, another day with no photographic proof that any member ... current member of Disney's leadership team has ever been to the SDL site. Yep, still no Bob Iger at SDL site selfie. Maybe Disney is waiting for Beijing approval to release a pic at the shareholders meeting Thursday. That sure would show me. Put me in my place and totally (not) explain why there hasn't been one since the construction began four years ago.

So, now we have folks looking to take what seems like awfully personal shots at the author of the HuffPo story ''Disney CEO Fumbles Entry to China'' Nah, I'm sure nothing odd there at all.

#firewillowbay #disneycensors

Ok @WDW1974 ...you asked for it. Here it is. The proof that finally blows holes (no not an imagineer joke) into your Iger/SDL theory. I am 99.9% sure this photo is legit! Ok, pretty sure. Possibly sure. Maybe.....

upload_2015-3-10_13-58-55.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-10_13-59-18.jpeg
    upload_2015-3-10_13-59-18.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 46

Mike S

Not really. Think about it: beside the one sequence where the Goblin runs next to you and that sound effect after the first drop, what happens BETWEEN the screens on Gringotts? Nearly nothing. You are just rolled over to the next scene. Meanwhile, on Spiderman, you got things happening: an encounter with a garbage truck, projection of rats running on shelves, the anti gravity cannon shooting stuff, etc. This is what was missing on Gringotts.
The thieve's downfall happens, and, when it works properly, there's a smoke effect of Voldemort transforming into that dark cloud stuff death eaters become in the movies (I don't know any other way to really explain that since I don't remember it in the books at all). The rest is great scenery of the caverns and vaults in Gringotts. Don't know what you were expecting tbh.

The Empress Lilly

If having an MBA qualifies you to be a journalism department head at a major University then I should be applying for jobs. She may be highly educated, but I didn't see any journalism teaching experience in her bio. In my experience the head of a department at a University is usually a tenured professor with a PHD and a bunch of experience in the related field. She has experience, but the academic background is missing.
I value actually having been a journalist higher than only ever having taught how to be a journalist. ;)

The Empress Lilly

For context, maybe we should look at the resumes of current/former heads of prominent communications/journalism schools. I just want to point out in advance that some Comm programs only have deans and not heads of J-Schools like USC Annenberg.

American University
Sanford "Sandy" Ungar: 1986-1999
Harvard University
Correspondent Washington Post and National Public Radio
Host All Things Considered
Director Voice of America (VoA)

Jeffrey B. Rutenbeck, Ph.D.: 2012-Present
B.A.: The Colorado College
M.A.: University of Missouri-Columbia
Ph.D.: University of Washington
Professor University of Denver
Director Digital Media Studies UDenver
Director of Comm. Studies Champlain College
Media Consultant for Fortune 100 Companies, the United States Air Force and others
President International Digital Media and Arts Association​

Boston University
Thomas Fiedler: 2008-Present
B.S.: United States Merchant Marine Academy (Engineering)
M.S.: Boston University (Communications)
Staff Writer Miami Herald (30 Years)

Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism
Nicholas Lemann: 2003-Present
B.A.: Harvard University (American History and Literature)
President Harvard Crimson
Staff Writer Washington Post
Staff Writer The Atlantic
Staff Writer and Washington Correspondent The New Yorker

Northwestern University
Barbara J. O'Keefe: ????- Present
B.A., M.A., and Ph.D.: University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
Professor Wayne State University
Professor Penn State University
Professor University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
Professor University of Michigan

Syracuse University SI Newhouse School of Public Communications
Lorraine Branham: 2008-Present
Education: Not Publicly Listed
Reporter and Editor Baltimore Sun
Editor Philadelphia Inquirer
Director School of Journalism UT Austin

USC Annenberg

Michael Parks: 2001-2008, 2013-2014 Interim
B.A.: University of Windsor (Classic Languages and Literature)
Vietnam Correspondent Baltimore Sun
Foreign Correspondent, Deputy Foreign Editor and Editor Los Angeles Times
Professor USC Annenberg

and finally...
Willow Bay: 2014-Present
B.A.: University of Pennsylvania
M.B.A.: New York University
Model and Spokesperson Estée Lauder
Correspondent NBC Today Show
Co-Anchor Good Morning America Sunday
Anchor CNN (CNN and Entertainment Weekly, CNN and Fortune, and Moneyline)
Senior Editor Huffington Post
Special Correspondent Bloomberg​

I don't know about you guys, but one of those doesn't look like the others. There's a big difference between a talking head and a life long academic or reporter.
Yes, Willow Bay does not look like the others.

This is because the others are dean. Lorraine Branham, Barbara J. O'Keefe, Nicholas Lemann, Thomas Fiedler et al. Willow Bay however is not dean, but director. Dean of Ms. Bay's school is Ernest J. Wilson III, indeed Ph.D with a stellar academic record too, looking like all the others.

From a quick glance, the directors of the institutes where these people are dean have careers similar to Ms. Bay's.

the.dreamfinder

2013 Jay Rasulo announces Disney will buy back up to 8 billion of Dis stock. Stock price surges.

2015 Comcast announces after a solid, but not spectacular fourth quarter, they will buy back 10 billion in stock.

Notice a trend?
Speaking of which, NPR had a great little segment on the subject this morning.
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/goldman-sachs-could-lose-financial-weapon
Goldman Sachs could lose a financial weapon
Goldman Sachs was among 31 U.S.-based holding companies undergoing the annual Federal Reserve stress test. Analysts say that as a result of Goldman's relatively poor performance, on Wednesday regulators might limit one of Goldman Sach’s big financial strategies: buying its own shares.

Buybacks pump up earnings per share by reducing the number of shares. “When you take a look at Goldman as compared to a lot of financial institutions, Goldman has relied on buybacks,” says Allen Michel, finance professor at Boston University.

Last year, Goldman Sachs spent $5.5 billion buying its own stock. Shareholders love it because they’re getting cash. But regulators want to see more capital assets, says Stephen Hoopes an analyst with IBISWorld.

“So the Fed’s mostly just looking at if a recession were to happen, if a big change in the market were to occur, how would these big banks handle that,” Hoopes says.

If the Federal Reserve says Goldman can’t use its capital to buy its own stock, it’s estimated the bank could earn almost $2 less per share next year. That, Michel says, even for a powerhouse like Goldman, would be a big deal.

lazyboy97o

I've read all the talk about Disney not being able to put Marvel in their parks b/c of the Uni agreement with Marvel pre-Disney purchase... but does that mean that Uni can add new Marvel to their parks? Seems strange that it would be allowed...
Why is that strange? Marvel wasn't planning to be purchased by Disney in late 1994. Marvel was losing money at the time and they crafted a deal that was, at the time, great for themselves. By making the Marvel deal so good for Universal, declining Marvel gave themselves a near guaranteed revenue stream that would be there year after year. If you're really interested in the deal a search for "MCA Marvel agreement" on your search engine of choice should bring up the contract on the SEC website.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom