A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Hey now...Taco Bell has some not so great stuff on their menu, but the Doritos Locos Tacos was one of their best ideas ever! I can't get enough of those dang things! (And I like REAL Mexican food!)
....was one of their best ideas ever....
GaSjryD.gif

PhotoDave219

Exactly. I've been to just about any major awards show in the industry with the exception of the OSCARS ... people don't show up for any of these events wearing outfits that advertise overtly IP (TV, Film, Music projects etc.)

I can tell you, I've been on enough red carpets. Something like that stands out because it is so not the norm.

And all from a woman who demands the kiddies and staff at USC don't refer to her as Bob's wife.

Well it is the University of Spoiled Children, after all.

Tony Perkis

And I guarantee you they haven't been back since. Hell, I don't know if they were even allowed in the auditorium.

But still, they are choosing to look like fools as part of their social commentary, they aren't walking billboards for much more than stupidity!
And they'll probably be the next EGOT winners (should have won the Oscar in 1998 for Blame Canada from the South Park film over that mediocre Phil Collins Tarzan song).

Goofyernmost

Vermont is a bit of an outlier it's a people friendly state, Greater boston area is the area I'm thinking about LOTS of immigrants who don't know any better etc People up here are just happy to have jobs so the employers get away with unpaid vacation, Health care is still pretty common at larger firms
Not just to argue, but, Vermont is anything but a "people friendly state". It is a tree hugger state.
th

People are just in the way of the scenery. More big businesses have moved out of the place then can be imagined. The combination of high taxes and extreme regulation has driven them away. Now we can discuss the people vs. business friendly deal all day, but, when it's all said and done people don't exist without income. Business provides income. The amount of people that have left the state over the past 10 years is mind boggling. Just my little family alone adds up to 10. And even we didn't move as a group, it was over 3 years time. We all had benefits though, just no money to make it usable.

lazyboy97o

Paris is now for all purposes largely owned by TWDC. It has largely been controlled by them for years.

At HKDL, Disney is partnered with the local SAR government, which (naturally) owns a majority share, although Disney's went up a few years ago (I'm too lazy to check, but I think it's something like 47% to 53%). Maybe @ParentsOf4 knows exactly.
Disney's share increased to 47% during the three land expansion that the Government demanded be 100% financed by Disney. The Government is now looking for the split to go back to its original point, but I cannot remember if that is a purchase or previously agreed upon sunset to Disney's increase.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Well, that's just the problem with Disney fans.

They never look at the big picture and how it effects the whole of the company.

But I care. And I'll be at the opening even if Bob doesn't want me there ... he really should check and find out who my friends in China are (HINT: I have more than he does!)

How does building this park in China effect the entirety of TWDC? Would that 6 billion have been used on a 5th gate? A knock your socks off Star Wars Land? ANOTHER Marvel universe movie?

I read a few pages back that Euro Disney set the company back some when it opened and promptly began loisng money. But this is a much different, much larger Disney Company. If this China Park struggles, is it really going to destroy Bobby's bottom line? How big of a failure would it need to be to stop capex stateside?

justavoice

Great and thorough post. A very academic approach. And I always thought you were more the film student type than the business guy!

I hate to only take a smidge of the post and use it. But I think what you were getting at above hits at the issues facing American corporations operating in China today.

It's impossible to operate in the PRC today and not pay the 'admission fee' ... it's a lot easier, thanks to MM+ , to walk into the MK sans payment, believe me. I've watched people do it. I bet so has George Kalogridis.

Unlike Disney, the central government isn't removing the gate, or waving the fee. The only question is how much was paid and where did it go/how was it funneled.

Many people far closer to this situation than I am have written about the internal conflict this has caused and the heightened paranoia spreading throughout the country. The reason for this is quite simple as I've already stated, the graft will continue but what is changing ... is Beijing is making a show through the current (and massive) anti-graft campaign to help maintain stability as the growing inequality and the boorish display of extreme excess (think OC elite on 'roids) by some party members is forcing the government's hand.

They need examples. The higher the profile, the better to show the people that 'we're all one' ... The government has gone so far as to raid its own state-run media and drag off well known personalities to jail or worse. The biggest name in business news in China has been arrested and is currently, I believe, still being held awaiting a trial. He was literally pulled from his anchor desk at the famous CCTV building in Beijing as he was about to hit the air. All of this makes foreign corps and their state formed 'partners' particularly attractive targets. Now, remember the graft has not stopped and can't stop because it's ingrained in the business culture over there. Folks, doesn't Disney make one heckuva target?

The cultural imperialists, the purveyors of Americana, the essence of what we've marketed to the world (or simply the Disney BRAND!) Tell me, how much do you think Disney CEO Bob Iger and Disney would pay to guarantee they are not targeted by this publicly?

Anyone notice how Huffpo trotted out a 2009 story about Disneyland Ghost three days ago? This rehash has been pushed in a lot of papers this weekend? Dilluting search options for Disney?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/27/disneyland-ghost_n_6772018.html

Katie G

What's the over under on how many people die on dcl cruises a year?

How many do we hear about?

Short of other cruisers who witness stuff and post on cruise forums... Where do you expect it to make waves?

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/ has a list of all incidents at sea across all cruise ships both self reported by the cruise companies and accounts by passengers. If you are curious about a particular ship's safety history, you can find out here.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How does building this park in China effect the entirety of TWDC? Would that 6 billion have been used on a 5th gate? A knock your socks off Star Wars Land? ANOTHER Marvel universe movie?

I read a few pages back that Euro Disney set the company back some when it opened and promptly began loisng money. But this is a much different, much larger Disney Company. If this China Park struggles, is it really going to destroy Bobby's bottom line? How big of a failure would it need to be to stop capex stateside?

P&R has a fixed 'pool' of capital for Parks, Cruise ships and Hotels, Right now the majority of that pool is being invested in China, I love to see how people think business spending is a cornucopia the money just magically appears,

I have a budget which I manage and quarterly I make CAPEX requests they go into a pool and C level management decides what the CAPEX priorities are. Disney does the same, So spending in China most definitely affects spending in Anaheim and Orlando.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not just to argue, but, Vermont is anything but a "people friendly state". It is a tree hugger state.
th

People are just in the way of the scenery. More big businesses have moved out of the place then can be imagined. The combination of high taxes and extreme regulation has driven them away. Now we can discuss the people vs. business friendly deal all day, but, when it's all said and done people don't exist without income. Business provides income. The amount of people that have left the state over the past 10 years is mind boggling. Just my little family alone adds up to 10. And even we didn't move as a group, it was over 3 years time. We all had benefits though, just no money to make it usable.

I was restraining myself because some here seem to think I'm a wanna be talk radio guy, Yes VT is a treehugger state where business has been choked off by increasingly draconian rules and regulations, I just love these treehugger 'Representatives' who are trust fund babies and have never worked a day in their life deciding what's good for WORKING people.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Didn't Disney just drop a 40 second nothing video on the DPB last week? You know, when folks were discussing Shanghai, possible graft, Disney getting a HuffPo column axed by the wife of Disney CEO Bob Iger?

They aren't totally dumb, they realize fans have the attention span of knats, largely.

I'm hoping to hear from a source tomorrow with interesting news ... so look for Disney to announce the new film from LucasFilm slated for a Christmas 2018 debut ... yep, you wanted it ... Jar Jar Binks: the Early Years. Coming to a galaxy near you!!!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
P&R has a fixed 'pool' of capital for Parks, Cruise ships and Hotels, Right now the majority of that pool is being invested in China, I love to see how people think business spending is a cornucopia the money just magically appears,

I have a budget which I manage and quarterly I make CAPEX requests they go into a pool and C level management decides what the CAPEX priorities are. Disney does the same, So spending in China most definitely affects spending in Anaheim and Orlando.

Does it though? As Po4 has pointed out quite clearly, Capex spending is WAY down well before Disney's China Adventure got started. Are they going to reel in US Capex all the way to zero if Chinese people reject Chinese DizneyWerld?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why are people complaining about Disney upping the price of one day tickets? Disney MK is $105 while Universal Orlando is $102 for a one day. I would bet Universal raises theirs soon as well.

Uh... this is a circular justification.

Disney raised the price... Uni raised prices in kind. Historically Disney has set the bar for pricing, and the others happily follow allow being slightly cheaper than Disney so they can say they are cheaper.. but let Disney set the target.

Uni has challenged that recently being bold to set when prices go up and even being more expensive than Disney at times.... but your comparison means nothing because these things are not independently set of each other. They are paired.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Does it though? As Po4 has pointed out quite clearly, Capex spending is WAY down well before Disney's China Adventure got started. Are they going to reel in US Capex all the way to zero if Chinese people reject Chinese DizneyWerld?

Who knows, I have opinions but I don't have a crystal ball. IF SDL fails in all likelihood there will be a massive purge of senior management as Wall St calls for reorganization of TWDC.

truecoat

And I guarantee you they haven't been back since. Hell, I don't know if they were even allowed in the auditorium.

But still, they are choosing to look like fools as part of their social commentary, they aren't walking billboards for much more than stupidity!

One was wearing a copy of this JLo dress from a previous oscars.

jennifer-lopez-grammy-dress.jpg

Being nominated in the best song category allows some leeway in what you choose to wear apparently as they were allowed to attend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom