A Spirited Perfect Ten

Brewmaster

The Met Gala is a highly respected event where people show off the highest of fashion. Just because they may be more "showy" in nature doesn't mean respect isn't shown.

What respect are we talking about re: The Oscars? We're talking about the event where men have shown up in drag.
matt-stone-and-trey-parker-dresses.jpg

Not to mention on Acid. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-oscars-video/2011/09/30/gIQA2h4iAL_blog.html

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This kinda reminds me when they had the "great" idea of try to insert taco bell to Mexico
they tried 4 times I think.
they all went bankrupt.
because these things arent even real tacos!

know your audience!!

Yum brands was STUPID enough to do something like that!!!!, As we know the best tacos/burritos are to be found where the staff 'no habla inglais' and the place looks like it's about to fall over.

Know your market indeed!!!!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
What part of NE are you taking about? I just left Vermont less then 4 years ago, where I lived for almost 50 years and I can guarantee you that although the pay is low, by comparison, they do still have benefits even in some service jobs. The pay alone is sending people, like my family, out of the state. No Vacation time would turn the place into a ghost town.

Vermont is a bit of an outlier it's a people friendly state, Greater boston area is the area I'm thinking about LOTS of immigrants who don't know any better etc People up here are just happy to have jobs so the employers get away with unpaid vacation, Health care is still pretty common at larger firms

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The purpose of the Chinese partner is more to keep money made by western enterprises in China in China and to help develop domestic industry. This is done with the long term goal that foreign corporations do not have a stranglehold on Chinese markets. Disney's partner for Shanghai Disney Resort is the state owned media company Shanghai SHEDNI group. Technically a conglomerate, they own television and radio stations, a tourism business, and a construction company. If @WDW1974 could, I would love to know why Shendi specifically was chosen as TWDC's partner and how they go about that process.

Buick is huge there and they have been slowly developing a manufacturing and marketing presence since the late nineties. Heck, I'd argue Buick has more cultural resonance there than Disney.
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/201...-leader-for-buicks-survival-and-record-sales/

Buick has spent nearly 20 YEARS building their BRAND in China, And it was done largely with Chinese doing the selling to the Chinese consumer and the cars are built with features which make them uniquely Chinese

Brand building in China takes decades and it's a very grassroots type of thing talking to neighbors, showing respected elders your product and allowing them to market it for you as it were. It's a uniquely chinese process and hard to understand unless you see it at work.

Cesar R M

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The purpose of the Chinese partner is more to keep money made by western enterprises in China in China and to help develop domestic industry. This is done with the long term goal that foreign corporations do not have a stranglehold on Chinese markets. Disney's partner for Shanghai Disney Resort is the state owned media company Shanghai SHEDNI group. Technically a conglomerate, they own television and radio stations, a tourism business, and a construction company. If @WDW1974 could, I would love to know why Shendi specifically was chosen as TWDC's partner and how they go about that process.

Buick is huge there and they have been slowly developing a manufacturing and marketing presence since the late nineties. Heck, I'd argue Buick has more cultural resonance there than Disney.
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/201...-leader-for-buicks-survival-and-record-sales/

^^^^ THIS ^^^^ especially the bit about the 'Partner', The Chinese want the money made by the joint venture to STAY in China not be sent to other countries repatriating profits from Chinese operations is difficult at best. China is kind of like a 'Hotel California' for foreign investment.

Cesar R M

doctornick

Poor written article, to say the least. What's the author mean by "guarantee"?

Yeah, it's an odd use of the word. I think the author was going more for "universal" in terms of a vacation destination meaning "WDW is the only vacation destination most people are 'guaranteed' to go to at some time". Not really true, but seems to be the gist of the article.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If Starbucks could breech the Chinese market, a purely tea drinking market, just about any aspirational brand can with the correct strategy.

SBUX offers quite a variety of teas and tea based drinks in their chinese stores wh the coffee beverages are more for the expats who NEED their coffee fix, A Chinese SBUX is not like a US or CA SBUX except for the logo on the store. Personally I wish SBUX would bring some of their Chinese drinks to the US.

Phil12

Buick has spent nearly 20 YEARS building their BRAND in China, And it was done largely with Chinese doing the selling to the Chinese consumer and the cars are built with features which make them uniquely Chinese

Brand building in China takes decades and it's a very grassroots type of thing talking to neighbors, showing respected elders your product and allowing them to market it for you as it were. It's a uniquely chinese process and hard to understand unless you see it at work.
China has been brand building in the USA for about 50 years. And I'm a regular Wal*Mart customer as well.

lazyboy97o

Shanghai Shendi Group is state owned but by the Shanghai Municipality, not the Central Government. while we tend to think of communists states as highly centralized, the illusion of local governance is important to the ideology, the dictatorship of the proletariat. While the Communist Party remains firmly in charge, it has lacked a singular driving force since Mao, instead becoming dominated by the bureaucracy. The result is "turfs" that do compete with one another just like is seen inside Disney where internal teams will fight more than cooperate.

Disney has also always desired Shanghai (probably due to its population size). Disneyland Asia, the project that was shopped around and eventually became Hong Kong Disneyland, was supposed to be bait for Shanghai. The issue of the Shnaghai park has always loomed over discussions with the Government of Hong Kong.

While everyhing tends to be state owned to some degree on the Mainland, Disney probably sought a government part for Disneyland Asia because they are a huge asset and have been employed as partners since the late 1980s. It was the government of France that put together the deal for Euro Disney's land and infrastructure build out. Anaheim and Long Beach were pitted against each other to get Disneyland's second gate. A park with governmental control would not be allowed to fail like Euro Disney was, with the success of Hong Kong Disneyland being a big issue not just go Disny but the public that owns the park. Shnghai Disney Resort is similarly protected because it is part of the image and power of the bureaucracy that controls Shanghai Municipality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom