A Spirited Perfect Ten

bhg469

I'm with you on the overt PC nature of Hollywood and the press (not a Sean Penn fan but if people are so humorless nowadays, you said it Photodave, God help us)...but Boyhood isn't a strong example.

The thing is, films are and never have been perfectly apolitical (and the good ones are always liberal :D). You're wading into territory where anything can be labelled propaganda so long as the one behind the camera has ideas about the world.
Here's where I am going to insert my 2 cents. I could be the polar opposite of the politics spectrum as JJ Abrams. That would be pretty difficult because I'm as middle of the road as they come but it will take an army to keep me from trying to love star wars with all my heart. Everything I've heard about him and how he is handling the movie, despite many problems, says he is 100% behind the story. He is who we need to revive the franchise.

PhotoDave219

I'm with you on the overt PC nature of Hollywood and the press (not a Sean Penn fan but if people are so humorless nowadays, you said it Photodave, God help us)...but Boyhood isn't a strong example.

The thing is, films are and never have been perfectly apolitical (and the good ones are always liberal :D). You're wading into territory where anything can be labelled propaganda so long as the one behind the camera has ideas about the world.

Yeah, if people are actually shocked and horrified by what comes out of Sean Penn's mouth, you're clearly not paying attention.

Travel Junkie

I think I understand what you are trying to suggest but the Oscars are a popularity contest.

It's just that it's limited to the popularity among voting members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Obviously and like any type of contest there are politics involved and people voting for friends etc. The idea however the Oscars should honor movies because they make a lot of money is wrong. It may come off as elitist, but the highest quality films are usually not seen by the masses. There are a lot of incredible films out there that the Academy never even recognizes. For those that complain that every film is a sequel or superhero movie, that isn’t the case. You just have to look harder and outside the corporate studio system.

asianway

The whole vault thing was actually pretty smart business. My only question is if he's been with the company for 22 years then he started in 1993. Didn't the vault thing start before that?

Even though the vault was a solid move it doesn't really translate to P&R much.

When was the last time a theme park guy actually ran P&R? Rasulo and Pressler both held lesser roles in P&R before taking over but weren't really theme park guys. The guy before Pressler (Judson Green) moved over from the CFO office similar to Staggs. Before him you have to go back to Nunis, almost to the 80s.
Vault started with the VHS release of pinocchio which was '85 I think. Back them they were preceded by a theatrical re-release

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ive seen better anti-War movies. Full Metal Jacket being a great example. Dont get me wrong, I liked American Sniper. I thought it was intense and didn't pull any punches. Showed American what it does to families and I think every politician that sends people to war needs to see it.

That being said, I did not think it was the best picture of the year. Selma was equally powerful.

Selma was a FAR better picture

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Being that the Academy is 90% white, they must all hate themselves then. The Oscars are not a popularity contest. If so movies, like Avatar and Transformers would win Best Picture. It sounds like the MTV movie awards are more your speed if you are looking for movies to win awards that you find entertaining.

That's the phenomenon known as self loathing. And I have not bothered to see most of the dreck purporting to be movies these days, The Godfather was entertaining, The Sting was entertaining,

Smiddimizer

Here's where I am going to insert my 2 cents. I could be the polar opposite of the politics spectrum as JJ Abrams. That would be pretty difficult because I'm as middle of the road as they come but it will take an army to keep me from trying to love star wars with all my heart. Everything I've heard about him and how he is handling the movie, despite many problems, says he is 100% behind the story. He is who we need to revive the franchise.

I dunno man...evil galactic empire...rebel alliance..you could argue that there some unobtrusive leftist undertones in SW. Yeah, it kind of diminishes the fun, and heads off into one of those crazy fringe levels of critical theory to think about it...but I think there's a little more to it than a self-fulfilling prophecy. It appeals to everyone...but mostly liberals.

This is one hell of a slippery slope because of how elastic political labels have become (I've seen some idiots online call Team America a conservative picture), and you could argue about a single movie for days. But everyone falls on the spectrum, even if they don't know it. So do films.

I can see now why Steve hates politics.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have always agreed with you ford, but there is what you're very wrong about it.
You're sounding SO WHITE right now.
like a classic privileged 30 year old white man who has almost nothing against them.

Hollywood actors are usually the spearhead of movements to try to change things.
to give the general populace information regarding of things they usually dont see.

Sorry Hollyweird actors are usually self-centered boors and I don't see them working in schools and building houses unless the cameras are there unlike those evil small businessmen who actually contribute time and money to their communities.

Image from the Oscars some dude in diapers dancing around on stage, It's no wonder why the 21'st century will belong to the Chinese who still believe in hard work and scholarship while Hollyweird pushes it's message that the only thing that matters is a beautiful body and being 'sexy'.

I despise the anti-intellectual messages which emanate from Hollyweird, How many actors have a Masters or PhD?

wishiwere@wdw

As of last night, when you did a search for Iger that picture (taken by the Redstone blogger) came up. Could Bob have actually had her wear the dress so this pic would drop that one?

I really do not post much due to my particular background but I have to say the moment I saw the dress this is what went through my mind. Sadly, this is not at all uncommon as its an easy way to manipluate search results to gain a more desired (for them) outcome.

Believe what you will but this isn't as far fetched as it sounds.

John

I would like to interject here and kind of go back to a favorite topic in these Spirited threads. Once long ago Mr. Spirit had as a tag line that "Spirited change was coming" Sadly I don't see such a change. With the announcement of Chapek as head of P&R we see more of the same ( I know there is already a thread about this.....but it absolutely is relative to this discussion....more so then the Oscars). They are rearranging the deck chairs with more of the same. Setting it up for Mr. Bobs successor. Most of the top jobs are being filled with "company" people. The same ones that gave us....Disney Parks.....NFL.....A year of a million cuts. But we are supposed to be optimistic....give them a chance they say. I say we have seen this show before....

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
As you can see we will continue the success of our most successful brands through our various theme park attractions and hotels globally. We are currently putting an additional $800mm towards our newest project in Shanghai to allow us to leverage more of our unique Disney family brands.

We believe this investment will allow us to both bring about a better guest experience as well as adding capacity to a park we project to break the 20mm visitor mark by fiscal Q2 2016.

We are so excited to share this next chapter with you all in 2016!

#IgerBomb

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom