A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Do you think it would have been more successful in Germany where there is an established market for theme parks, The choice of Paris always seemed a bit odd to me.
because its sort of the "center" of the top euro countries?
all major countries there are linked with france.
Theres Spain on the bottom, Italy on the right, Germany on the right, and england on top.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't disagree...I can't imagine anyone would try and do a hostile takeover of Viacom anytime soon. Viacom and CBS are the smallest of the major media companies at this point, even together they only have a market cap of 60B (nearly 30B each). The ever-shrinking Time Warner is still ~70B and Disney and Comcast are well above that and stable.

But Viacom and CBS being so 'small' and still so important is the reason most analysts thing that Viacom and CBS are better together in todays environment and continue to speculate that either would be better with a bigger more powerful partner if they don't get back together.

For the record, I can't imagine that TWDC would chase any component of Viacom or CBS. Which is why it is so odd to me that a Redstone took such an odd jab at Iger.

Can you say Bear Raid?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
because its sort of the "center" of the top euro countries?
all major countries there are linked with france.
Theres Spain on the bottom, Italy on the right, Germany on the right, and england on top.

I can certainly see the geographic advantages of Paris, I'm just less sure of the market advantages.

Nubs70

What gets me about this HuffPo issue, is why are execs of multi-billion dollar global corporations so touchy? Bob has had smoke blown up his behind in the press for years and years...its been nearly all praise....and one or two critical articles come out and he's that upset by it? So upset that he has his wife get the articles pulled?

Are the egos really that fragile?

I would contend that someone who holds that much power and is so sensitive to a few critical pieces may not be suitable for the job. Honestly. Get over it.
So touchy? Because if monies were paid to government officials to "facilitate" the correction of obstacles, Bob could be in trouble or, to a lesser extent, be the target of a bothersome investigation.

This is why CEO's get touchy about stories like this.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The article being pulled is, among other things, evidence that what was being said is (at least to some degree) accurate. That's the importance of it being pulled.

People are against things that put them in a bad light all the time - what does accuracy have to do with it? If I say Lee is a serial child rapist... and you demand wdwmagic delete it... does that mean its true?

Lee

Adventurer
People are against things that put them in a bad light all the time - what does accuracy have to do with it? If I say Lee is a serial child rapist... and you demand wdwmagic delete it... does that mean its true?
Nah...this is different.
Nobody was libeled or defamed in those articles. No reason to delete them for legal reasons.

They were deleted because Bob didn't like what was in them, and who would be reading/has read them. So he had his wife get them pulled.

A smarter/better response would have been to perhaps try to rebut or refute them, like I would do if you said I was a rapist.

JediMasterMatt

funny you mention haunted mansion. I had 4 doombuggies fail badly in one of my last days.
they failed, and failed, and failed.. they had to put a mark with fluorecent marker so they knew which ones to skip in the queue.
There were some lengthy waits until one was "broken" to let the kids and parent free from the protection mechanism that locked them inside before leaving the loading area.
the first day was perfect.. nothing failed.

as for CMS, I have a friend who works at Epcot, and he says he absolutely HATES MM+. Fastpass is a nightmare to manage and reservations too.
if a single system goes down, it takes the entire resort system as well.
I seen no less than 4 crashes on the 15th of feb 2015.
one of them wiped my FP+ clean.

Ride vehicles fail unfortunately, so it isn't that out of the ordinary to have issues with restraints with the Omnimovers. At least it didn't lose the guide bar assembly like it did on the brand new Mermaid in one of Martin's videos.

The overall show quality of Mansion though is very commendable. It's consistently been in tip-top shape since the big refurb in 2008.

Re: the Cast Members and MM+ - a large source of their frustrations with it from my sources are that they can't do ANYTHING to fix problems using the system. There are no manual overrides or any method of squeezing someone in to a reservation or the like. If the tech doesn't work, it just doesn't work. The best they can do is the old traditional approach of trying to find real world solutions; but, the management instructions are not to do it. So instead of having countless "success" stories of how Cast Members "saved the day" by doing something special to help guests like the resort use to have, we have exchanged it for countless "failure" stories about how the CM was unable to help and the time spent trying to fight "City Hall" was wasted.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

What gets me about this HuffPo issue, is why are execs of multi-billion dollar global corporations so touchy? Bob has had smoke blown up his behind in the press for years and years...its been nearly all praise....and one or two critical articles come out and he's that upset by it? So upset that he has his wife get the articles pulled?

Are the egos really that fragile?
Fragile egos? No.

Huge egos? Yes.

Any criticism is viewed as a personal attack on those huge egos and is subject to a full retaliatory strike.

The word "vendetta" comes to mind. ;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So touchy? Because if monies were paid to government officials to "facilitate" the correction of obstacles, Bob could be in trouble or, to a lesser extent, be the target of a bothersome investigation.

This is why CEO's get touchy about stories like this.

It's also why he should of left it alone, By themselves these are hit pieces done all the time in the media industry and most have a moment or so in the sun and shrivel up and blow away, The moment the target works to suppress them 'Where there is smoke there is fire kicks in'.

And if I were a USC alumnus I would be screaming for Willow to step down because suppressing a story that's out there because of pressure from a corporation is probably one of the two worst sins out there - the first of course is making up the story in the first place, And we've seen enough of that in the media industry recently with Brian Williams just being the most recent inductee into the 'Big Media Hall of Shame'

flynnibus

Premium Member
Nah...this is different.
Nobody was libeled or defamed in those articles. No reason to delete them for legal reasons.

They were deleted because Bob didn't like what was in them, and who would be reading/has read them. So he had his wife get them pulled.

A smarter/better response would have been to perhaps try to rebut or refute them, like I would do if you said I was a rapist.

Correct - trying to squash what everyone already knows exists tends to go pporly. But hating something doesn't infer truth. It infers they don't like the message, which can be many reasons.

The guy already had a track record of going after Bob.. maybe he just had enough of the twit and flexed his muscles to swat the fly.

I mean less be honest.. we're talking the huffington post here... and articles maybe a half step above political blog rants.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Correct - trying to squash what everyone already knows exists tends to go pporly. But hating something doesn't infer truth. It infers they don't like the message, which can be many reasons.

The guy already had a track record of going after Bob.. maybe he just had enough of the twit and flexed his muscles to swat the fly.

I mean less be honest.. we're talking the huffington post here... and articles maybe a half step above political blog rants.

It's source was even more reason to leave it alone, Now the analysts are going to start combing EVERYTHING under the sun about these projects and looking at them with a much more critical eye and the reason being a story being killed on a high profile outlet. This kind of stuff is on the order of $RANDOM_CELEB_MALE_WITH_SIX_PACK_ABS is dating Katy Perry on TMZ widely ignored UNLESS STORY IS KILLED.

Bob needs to remember something about glass houses...

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Now the analysts are going to start combing EVERYTHING under the sun about these projects and looking at them with a much more critical eye and the reason being a story being killed on a high profile outlet.
I doubt it. Any investment firm worth a damn already has a team of MBAs specifically dedicated to the media sector and likely a few folks assigned to Disney exclusively. Their commissions, reputations, and promotions are already contingent on finding whatever dirt there might be in TWDC's closet, and there's nothing these people care about more than their commissions, reputations, and promotions.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom