A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just in regards to the US parks. They spend rather freely in the movie and TV area -- look at the rights fees ESPN is paying!

With the exception of Frozen and past Marvel movies - they really don't have a great track record. Thor as a woman I think the jury is still out on that one... ABC as a network is bumping along the bottom of the ratings game.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Fixed it for you by eliminating "As no auditor is going to find against a company they want next years audit business from."

It happens all the time. At least twice this morning.

Agree to a point, If you are a local CPA firm with a regional company- yes indeed it happens all the time, I think Arthur Andersen and PwC are examples of where the lure of billions of dollars in billing overrode accounting integrity and it will happen again only on a larger scale.

There were dozens of individual auditors at AA who said this is BRAVO-SIERRA and they were removed by AA management from the account and in many cases from the company, I trust my CPA far more than I trust my lawyer. But CPA's have bills to pay too and in most cases they like most of us will 'go along to get along' so they can pay their bills and put their kids through school.

The only fix is to randomly assign audit firms to public companies to remove the incentive to ignore questionable items. Everyone gets their share of the business and the public is better protected because there is no incentive to suppress questionable items.

We all like to think we would be the courageous one, Been there done that and have the scars to prove it.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Agree to a point, If you are a local CPA firm with a regional company- yes indeed it happens all the time, I think Arthur Andersen and PwC are examples of where the lure of billions of dollars in billing overrode accounting integrity and it will happen again only on a larger scale.

There were dozens of individual auditors at AA who said this is BRAVO-SIERRA and they were removed by AA management from the account and in many cases from the company, I trust my CPA far more than I trust my lawyer. But CPA's have bills to pay too and in most cases they like most of us will 'go along to get along' so they can pay their bills and put their kids through school.

The only fix is to randomly assign audit firms to public companies to remove the incentive to ignore questionable items. Everyone gets their share of the business and the public is better protected because there is no incentive to suppress questionable items.

We all like to think we would be the courageous one, Been there done that and have the scars to prove it.
Since I was an Arthur Andersen partner, I know too much about that situation to comment directly.

However, I can promise you that even large audit firms say "no" to clients all the time. As I said, I'm aware of it happening twice this morning.

As for "go along to get along", it depends on the role the CPA is filling. A CPA acting as an independent auditor, of course, should not do that. And in my experience (which, I assure you, is vast), it does not happen most of the time, much of the time, or even a significant minority of the time. Sadly, it does happen now and then. And when it does, it can be disastrous.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I dislike big accounting firms, period. I couldn't run fast enough in the opposite direction when it came to "pick your career" time in school.
As I now work at a 4-person firm and love it, I certainly understand not wanting to work for a big firm. But still, partners in big accounting firms are generally nice people. :)

Nah... I'd be a "chicken" if you believed Brady Hoke
I was once attacked by an old woman for cheering when Michigan scored a touchdown in a game in South Bend. She shook her purse at me and called me a hoodlum.

Michigan won.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Since I was an Arthur Andersen partner, I know too much about that situation to comment directly.

However, I can promise you that even large audit firms say "no" to clients all the time. As I said, I'm aware of it happening twice this morning.

As for "go along to get along", it depends on the role the CPA is filling. A CPA acting as an independent auditor, of course, should not do that. And in my experience (which, I assure you, is vast), it does not happen most of the time, much of the time, or even a significant minority of the time. Sadly, it does happen now and then. And when it does, it can be disastrous.

Ouch - I am sorry to hear that a LOT of good people got caught in the downdraft from AA which ruined a lot of careers from your posts I'm sure you are one of the good guys. Are large public accounting firms systemically corrupt - no absolutely not but there is too little accountability built into the US corporate governance system so there is little downside to large scale fraud.

In my opinion there are advantages that would accrue to the investor if the audit process for public companies were more of an adversarial process.

BrerJon

BrerJon

There are 25 million people in Shanghai compared to 2 million in Greater Orlando.

But how many of them can afford an expensive Disney visit? The prediction is for 25 million visitors in the first year... even with China's growing middle class, that seems an overly optimistic figure given the average quality of what's on offer and how unknown Disney is there.

Travel Junkie

There are 25 million people in Shanghai compared to 2 million in Greater Orlando.

As has been discussed though in this thread, how many care about the Disney brand? With the exception of Tokyo, international parks for Disney have typically gotten off to slow starts. If it is a quality product then people will visit, but it may take time. HKDL is finally starting to make money after they added several quality attractions in rapid succession. If SDL is under built and unimpressive to the Chinese audience, it will struggle. I don’t see SDL surpassing the attendance of places that have had generations of Disney brand awareness pounded into them anytime soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom