A Spirited Perfect Ten

Mike S

Yes, it's fantastic. But it's not fantastic for its theme park qualities, it's fantastic for its working movie studio qualities. The Tram Tour, a 60+ minute long ride through a real movie studio making movies, is worth the price of admission. Plus there's some decent theme park rides.

A major upgrade to the Tram Tour, including the new Fast & Furious sound stage, is rumored to open this summer.

Don't expect a fake "movie studio" theme park built in a Florida swamp for clueless tourists. But do expect a real, working movie studio tour in the Hollywood Hills that's added some theme park rides around it over the years.
Yes. If you look at it as a movie studio with some extra entertainment on the side (which is exactly what it is), you'll enjoy yourself. A lot of folks don't understand USH is a movie studio first, theme park second.

I'd suggest waiting until the summer to go or next year, once Potter opens.
I really wish I went when I was in California. The people I was with however didn't see value in going. I'll probably go next time which should be after Harry Potter is already open.

Progress.City

Our oddly waifish friend seems to be planting a lot of stories about how great he is. This time in the Wall Street Journal. They're really pushing this narrative that Tom's a creative or "gets" creatives because he was really good at the trumpet. The mixed state of WDI suggests otherwise.
If Cameron approves, I approve too!

Progress.City

I really wish I went when I was in California. The people I was with however didn't see value in going. I'll probably go next time which should be after Harry Potter is already open.
Same here, but it leaves something to see for "next time". When I went, I too cut that from my itinerary over the advise of many people. I just couldn't fit it in with everything else I wanted to do.

Progress.City

Well I just found these priceless things on Tumblr:

tumblr_njmyrzdacR1r9qf81o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_njmyrzdacR1r9qf81o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_njmyrzdacR1r9qf81o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_njmyrzdacR1r9qf81o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_njmyrzdacR1r9qf81o1_1280.jpg
Awe that's so sweet! See, Disney execs really do have hearts!! Huh, wait...

71jason

Is the one at Fiesta Bay Mall still open? That was one of the strangest vacation experiences I've ever had: My wife and I (before we had kids) wandering through a zombie mall before accidentally finding a Fuddruckers that was equally empty. We've been back a few times since, but it's been a few years.

Remarkably, yes, although it's Artegon Mall these days, and looks like a flea market inside. Also one in Crossroads on 535.

71jason

Stray observation, in light of the insistence on an ongoing WDW v. Uni debate ...

Was at Disney Springs Wednesday. Walkways packed. New stores and existing restaurants? Not so much. <10% of those walking around carried bags, and a plurality of those were from World of Disney. If you can't sell guests on a $150 pair of sunglasses, are they really going to go for a $150/person dinner?

Meanwhile, the Orlando Eye will open by May ... and is basically bringing the new Church St. Station with it. Tin Roof Orlando is already a hit. The other venues look promising, and Mangos, which is within walking distance, just started hiring. Disney Springs and CityWalk are both about to get whalloped this Summer. Sea World will probably get hit worst of all ($37 includes the Eye and Sea Life aquarium and a couple other tourist traps).

Just a reminder the real story isn't always captured online.

Funmeister

Stray observation, in light of the insistence on an ongoing WDW v. Uni debate ...

Was at Disney Springs Wednesday. Walkways packed. New stores and existing restaurants? Not so much. <10% of those walking around carried bags, and a plurality of those were from World of Disney. If you can't sell guests on a $150 pair of sunglasses, are they really going to go for a $150/person dinner?

Meanwhile, the Orlando Eye will open by May ... and is basically bringing the new Church St. Station with it. Tin Roof Orlando is already a hit. The other venues look promising, and Mangos, which is within walking distance, just started hiring. Disney Springs and CityWalk are both about to get whalloped this Summer. Sea World will probably get hit worst of all ($37 includes the Eye and Sea Life aquarium and a couple other tourist traps).

Just a reminder the real story isn't always captured online.

I think CityWalk will come out better than Disney Springs. It helps to have 40k+ people walking through your venue to spend money versus utilizing outdated transportation system or driving.

MerlinTheGoat

Plants are self aware.
There's plenty of evidence that plants can respond to certain outside stimuli to some extent, it is not however evidence of self awareness or actual pain in the sense that animals experience. Just autonomic preservation responses to the environment (as much as it can muster without a central nervous system). Pain is a brain's interpretation of harmful stimuli, it goes beyond simple autonomic responses exhibited by simpler living organisms such as plants. Most living organisms, even the most base, have some sort of self preservation mechanism built into their genetic code. Even certain complex DEAD animals can still exhibit movement to stimuli for some period after their death. A beheaded snake body can continue to move for some time after, and the head can even bite things that "provoke" it. And there are videos of dead octopus where soy sauce is poured over their bodies and their limbs move quite a bit due to an electrical response in the nerves. Doesn't mean the organisms are still alive and "self aware" or that they can feel pain, it's relegated to simple autonomic chemical responses to certain stimuli (such as nerves that are still active after the brain ceases major activity).

I am myself also a vegetarian of over 10 years (vegan for most of that), though it doesn't extend to being grossed out by the thought of eating meat. I'm no raging nut by any stretch of the imagination (in contrast to the obnoxious jackass hypocrites at PETA). Ethics do factor into it to some substantial degree (it was what made me try the diet to begin with), but it's a heavily health based diet for me as well (which is not something I expected going into this). Besides general health benefits such as some weight loss and blood pressure normalization, I developed various food intolerances in my youth that a non-meat/dairy diet helps to neutralize. Meat and dairy had always caused me digestive issues even as a child, and dairy in particular inflames painful respiratory problems I started to develop as a teen (certain vegetable sources such as grains, tree nuts and peanuts can even cause issues). I wouldn't say it's a diet that everyone should follow (though I would perhaps argue that more people could stand to experiment and dabble with it given the abysmal American diet), but it definitely works for me regardless of the ethics behind it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom