A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

WildcatDen

Could you imagine if it was something incredibly stupid like a blood condition where some kind of space amoeba flew up the woo woos of ladies of various species and occasional immaculate conceptions led to really strong with the force people who could then pass on some concentration of the aforementioned space amoebas to their offspring? Luckily, it was left as a metaphysical bit of wonder that didn't need explaining.
woo woos? I will file that one away.

tribbleorlfl

It's even more complicated than that as both CBS and Paramount were part of VIACOM until CBS was sold in 2006, Paramount STILL has the theme park rights but must license the characters from CBS.

Another Star Trek attraction may go online this year in Spain at the Paramount park.

http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-star-trek-in-paramount-park-murcia
Yeah, the corporate ownership history of ST is enough to make your head spin. I'm so glad I'm not an IP lawyer.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/wiki/algernon_who_owns_startrek

That being said, Paramount has the theme park rights to JJTrek (via licensing of the characters, names and concepts from CBS)- you will notice the Spain attractions are all based on the new films and not TOS or TNG. I suspect Paramount could not stop CBS from licensing ST to UO provided any attractions were based on "Old"Trek.

And all signs point to CBS wanting to make JJTrek quickly disappear as "Old"Trek is more valuable to them. It's well documented about JJ's departure to SW over CBS' refusal to cease TOS merch, and there are rumors of CBS' desire for a new series (possibly on Netflix). Search "Para Mobius" to get a Spirit-like insider view surrounding JJTrek 3's production, how Bad Robot has a 10 year non-compete that's keeping CBS from moving forward with the new show and how the whole thing almost came apart under Bob Orcci's incompetent direction and screenplay.

Rodan75

Fyi, it's CBS that is the rights holder to ST. All Paramount has is the film rights.

yeah the Star Trek rights are a mess. Someone did a big story on that was one of JJ's frustrations with Trek, is that he wanted to manage a multi-media franchise with Star Trek and Paramount and CBS couldn't work out a deal.

While I would certainly love for Uni to get a Trek themed land/park in Orlando, I really don't understand the need to bash Wars to lift Trek. What's next, are we going to fanboi argue Samsung / Trek / Uni with Apple/SWars/Disney? Too many nested fanboi aspects of that for me.

tribbleorlfl

While I would certainly love for Uni to get a Trek themed land/park in Orlando, I really don't understand the need to bash Wars to lift Trek. What's next, are we going to fanboi argue Samsung / Trek / Uni with Apple/SWars/Disney? Too many nested fanboi aspects of that for me.
Yeah, I've never understood the animosity between the two fan bases. I prefer ST, but still thoroughly enjoy SW.

Rodan75

Yeah, I've never understood the animosity between the two fan bases. I prefer ST, but still thoroughly enjoy SW.

yeah...me too. I don't understand the general need to fanboi anything that strongly, none of the big fanboi wars make sense to me Trek/Wars, Marvel/DC, Disney/Uni, Apple/Samsung. Like what you like and know that it is okay for someone to like something different than your stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom