A Spirited Perfect Ten

wogwog

Just as a heads up,
I'm a shareholder, and got notice of voting on the BOD, and other business. The internet, and phone voting systems refuse to accept my valid voting number. It's all very complicated, and seemingly designed that way.Calling back to re enter the voting system, a recording told me to say I had given the wrong info, and am barred from continuing.
You are required to activate the voting process by touching a Magic Band to your computer or phone prior to voting. :joyfull:

lebeau

It's also much easier to be a Star Wars fan and not feel like you're missing anything. It really only takes ~12 hours of your time to watch the bulk of the canon (six films). You don't need to know the plots of Clone Wars, Rebels, Knights of the Old Republic, Rogue Squadron, or The Thrawn Trilogy to be "caught up."

Conversely, Star Trek's main canon is enormous, consisting of The Original Series, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home, Final Frontier, Undiscovered Country, Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, Nemesis, Star Trek, and Star Trek: Into Darkness. Rough math puts that at 703 TV episodes and 12 films. Assuming roughly one hour per episode and two hours per film, you have 30 days worth of material to catch up on. There's no good "jumping on" point because you won't get the jokes about tribbles, Captain Pike, or "he's dead, Jim." I personally discovered The Original Series about five years ago and I absolutely loved it, but it's just too daunting of a task to get caught up with the whole universe.

Not to go too far off on a tangent, but I'll be interested to see how Marvel handles this issue as their cinematic universe grows. I think they've done a good job so far of integrating Agents of Shield and Agent Carter into the universe without making either one "essential reading" to one's enjoyment of the main film continuity. I hope the same will be true with the Netflix series.

I'll play devil's advocate.

I would say most people know all they need to know about Star Trek even if they have never watched a single show or movie. It's more episodic in nature. So you don't need to know canon. If you know the concept - pioneers in space - that's all you need. If you're vaguely familiar with some of the characters or catch phrases, so much the better.

SW has a much higher learning curve. If nothing else, you have to have The Force explained to you.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
SW has a much higher learning curve. If nothing else, you have to have The Force explained to you.
Psh... Ralph Waldo Emerson and the transcendentalists have been talking about The Force since the 1840s (they called it the Over-Soul).

We live in succession, in division, in parts, in particles. Meantime within man is the soul of the whole; the wise silence; the universal beauty, to which every part and particle is equally related, the eternal ONE. And this deep power in which we exist and whose beatitude is all accessible to us, is not only self-sufficing and perfect in every hour, but the act of seeing and the thing seen, the seer and the spectacle, the subject and the object, are one. We see the world piece by piece, as the sun, the moon, the animal, the tree; but the whole, of which these are shining parts, is the soul.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
If nothing else, you have to have The Force explained to you.
Could you imagine if it was something incredibly stupid like a blood condition where some kind of space amoeba flew up the woo woos of ladies of various species and occasional immaculate conceptions led to really strong with the force people who could then pass on some concentration of the aforementioned space amoebas to their offspring? Luckily, it was left as a metaphysical bit of wonder that didn't need explaining.

Last edited:

lebeau

Psh... Ralph Waldo Emerson and the transcendentalists have been talking about The Force since the 1840s (they called it the Over-Soul).

We live in succession, in division, in parts, in particles. Meantime within man is the soul of the whole; the wise silence; the universal beauty, to which every part and particle is equally related, the eternal ONE. And this deep power in which we exist and whose beatitude is all accessible to us, is not only self-sufficing and perfect in every hour, but the act of seeing and the thing seen, the seer and the spectacle, the subject and the object, are one. We see the world piece by piece, as the sun, the moon, the animal, the tree; but the whole, of which these are shining parts, is the soul.

I suppose you could skip the explanation of The Force Obi Wan gives and read Emerson instead... o_O

shernernum

Could you imagine if it was something incredibly stupid like a blood condition where some kind of space amoeba flew up the woo woos of different lady species and occasional immaculate conceptions led to really strong with the force people who could then pass on some concentration of the aforementioned space amoebas to their offspring? Luckily, it was left as a metaphysical bit of wonder that didn't need explaining.
You sir, win the Internet for today.

Lee

Adventurer
Could you imagine if it was something incredibly stupid like a blood condition where some kind of space amoeba flew up the woo woos of ladies of various species and occasional immaculate conceptions led to really strong with the force people who could then pass on some concentration of the aforementioned space amoebas to their offspring? Luckily, it was left as a metaphysical bit of wonder that didn't need explaining.
Sounds like a branch of Scientology...

PhotoDave219

Seriously? Typical Boston.

Progress.City

I didn't quite "get" your entire post...but...

Ego or not, Eisner embraced many of Walt's ideals, and he was the single guiding hand behind the massive expansion of WDW.

Did he always do well? No. Did he destroy his own legacy? Sure. But, at one point, he truly cared.

Honestly, had it not been for the loss of Wells, I suspect we'd all have a vastly different memory of Eisner's time at the helm, because until then, he had been knocking home runs left and right for the most part.
He was in an unfortunate situation that everything around him was caving in. He had to get tough before total collapse. Hey, after all, total collapse was prevented. His abrupt toughness that we all don't like may have actually saved the company.

tribbleorlfl

As to Frozen in TDL OLC is reorganizing an entire sector of the park around it and yet it will be open OLC says in 2018 I'd say that was FAST considering it takes WDW 3+ to build a kiddie coaster.

As to a potential ST attraction/park, If it's greenlit it will probably be online in < 3 years as opposed to 6+ years for SW (2021-2) by current schedules. Paramount is apparently a pain to deal with on licensing as there is another Park being proposed in Kent UK which will feature ST and Dr Who (I'll be there opening day) among others and that
s scheduled for 2019 or so.
Fyi, it's CBS that is the rights holder to ST. All Paramount has is the film rights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom