A Spirited Perfect Ten

John

Keep in mind though that we aren't talking about being CEO of Comcast vs being CEO of TWDC. Comcast may be a bigger company, but the P&R segment of Disney is significantly larger than Universal Parks. It is a much more high profile role that will now report to the COO but has historically been a direct report to the CEO. The head or parks at Universal reports first to the president of Universal Pictures who then reports to Steve Burke (remember him?) who is the CEO of NBC Universal who then reports in to the actual Comcast CEO. And I thought Disney had an unnecessary web of beaurocracy.

Speaking of Steve Burke, I know there was some bad blood when he left Disney, but he could be an external candidate to run TWDC should Staggs not get the nod. He is too high up the food chain to want the P&R job, but CEO might be tempting. He has some theme park experience and has run 2 major networks now (ABC and NBC). I think his falling out was more with Eisner and that crew who are gone now.

You know what i actually like this idea. He has seen TWDC from the outside now. Has seen Universal from the inside. Intrigueing indeed. Sadly if I was a betting man, I would put my money on Staggs. Not that I personally like him. I just think this move is a primer. I am sure there are those that will disagree but it just think it makes to much sense. Hey, I hope I am totally wrong! For those who think its good for the parks i too will disagree. George K to head P&R? Nope....not buying that one. Poor Georgie's best days are behind him. WDW is the last stop on this gravy train.

Disclaimer: I am not an insider nor pretend to have any inside information. This information is nothing more then an opinion. This opinion should not be miscontrude as the official opinon of management or a certian spirit. Thank you

WildcatDen

I said the said the same thing when we were back at KI for the first time in 4 years. Theming was nothing like Disney/Uni but made Cedar Point look like a parking lot with rides. Where they had to retheme rides it was done via cardboard cutouts. But putting the Cincinnati Reds Sports bar in River (frontier) Town just made it clear that even moderate theming (or common sense) was not a priority.
No doubt KI is not what it once was. My point, although simple, is that it has no problem supplying a day full of fun or an evening if that is what our schedule allows. As for the Reds themed Bar and Grill, yes it does not fit theme wise but it is still a decent place with decent food offerings.

So a Staggs replacement. . . I nominate @WDW1974 with support from @ParentsOf4 on the financials. . .

Last edited:

WildcatDen

So you want to credit him with a Kiddy Coaster?

Okay then.
In this case, yes. The 'kiddy coaster' seemed logical for its location. I am guessing if it was a Frontierland expansion, and included a coaster, it would not have been 'kiddy'.

When KI expanded their kids area, they added Runaway Reptar, a good (suspended) coaster aimed at kids. Would it have made sense to add a Diamondback in that area at that time, nope. Still Diamondback is all of 300 feet from Reptar so you have that to consider as well. . .

WildcatDen

Id rather tackle another regional food..

Buffalo wings! Never breaded, always use franks red hot as your base and ranch is for salads. Bleu cheese ONLY!!
Buffalo Wings and Rings at Jungle Jims. I go for the Tenders as you get more meat for your money. Garlic Parm - YUMMY. And yes, Bleu Cheese!!! Breaded wing's from Hooters, well, let's be honest, you are not there for the food. . . Well, except for the Key Lime Cheescake

NearTheEars

Valid point. Disney can be darned if they do and darned if they don't in these situations.

But my point in posting that photo was that they closed the Backlot Tour over four months ago and haven't announced a replacement, and there's no apparent work happening to demolish it or begin construction on another concept. The ride, originally the entire reason the park existed, was simply closed without any announcement or any work happening for its future. The current and future status of DHS is getting really weird. They just need to fess up and say something!

And that's very different from how they handled DCA 2.0, recent additions at Disneyland Park, and the most recent burst of info from Anaheim regarding the multiple new rides, night parades and night spectaculars coming in 2015 and '16. It forever fascinates me how the same company can operate two different properties so differently within the same country.

Also, that Hula-Hoops-Instead-Of-Attractions photo found in 4 seconds on Google was just too good to pass up! :D

Oh, I agree. It's a little crazy that all we know is that an expansion (is it an expansion?) is coming.

NearTheEars

Ive dealt with Comcast in person, and I can say face to face the people working in their offices are every bit as awful as their service reps over the phone, its an organizational commitment apparently.

The company I worked for just relocated, about 20 miles away from where we used to be in the western Chicago suburbs. We previously had an account with them at our old location and had set up to transfer the account to our new one, which according to them fell within their service area so the service agreement was extended, something they insisted upon.

Well after we had moved and were ready for them to install everything they informed our IT department that we are 1 mile outside of their service area, but its close enough to still be considered in their service area and they can install a line for us... at the price of 30K. Needless to say we returned all our Comcast equipment to the local office and have found another isp.

It is impossible for any part of that company to generate enough goodwill to make up for the abysmal customer service. I wonder if Uni's attendance would take a hit if more people knew that every penny they spent there went into Comcast's pockets.

Comcast is the worst. But I have a system of going straight to the retention department every year to make sure they retain me as a customer.

ParentsOf4

Disney can be darned if they do and darned if they don't
I'm considering adding this quote to my signature. ;)

As I sat at home this quiet Saturday morning listening to my family stir, this quote had me thinking about positive events at WDW in recent years. It's tough to find them because for everything on the plus side, there's always a "however" attached to it.

I didn't feel that way decades ago. I didn't feel that way after Epcot or Disney-MGM Studios opened, or all the years surrounding those momentous events. There were no "howevers" back then. (I didn't make my first visit to Disney-MGM Studios until after Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular and Star Tours both opened, so I missed the early months when it seemed like everyone was complaining that Disney-MGM Studios felt like a rip-off.)

Today's Disney corporate leadership can and should do a better job but even the worst performer needs words of encouragement. Of course, those running Disney are not wallflowers. They are highly compensated power brokers playing in the Major League of the business world. Nothing but their best should be expected from them every day. They need to recognize that running a successful business is not only about stock price; it's also about keeping the customer happy. At Disney, it's more. It's about always striving to exceed customer expectations.

I guess part of my problem is that I remember a WDW that could do no wrong, at least it felt that way. I never went to WDW as a child. I was well into my teens before my first visit, paying my own way each time. It's not as if I'm looking at WDW through the romanticized eyes of a child. The WDW of the 1970s and 1980s really was an amazing place. In hindsight, we know that WDW began its slide in the 1990s with cost-cutting measures but I didn't notice them at the time, so even the WDW of the 1990s seemed amazing to me.

I still get a thrill each time I drive under the Western Way arch at the start of a WDW vacation. One of my top-10 moments each year still is pulling up to the hotel, shutting off the engine, walking around to my car's trunk, and handing over my luggage to a Cast Member, knowing the drive is behind me and the entire vacation lies before me.

With all these thoughts in my mind, it might be time to step back for just a moment (;)) and look at the pluses at WDW in recent years.

Below is my list of positive developments at WDW in the 21st Century, with all the "howevers" excluded:
  • The New Fantasyland - The expansion truly helps with one of WDW's target demographics; families with very young children. The area flows better than the days of Mickey's Toontown Fair, which I'll admit that I skipped the first few years after it opened because it seemed out of the way and not particularly interesting.
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - A nice first rollercoaster for youngsters that also can be enjoyed by all ages.
  • Expedition Everest - One of Disney's best, most detailed roller coasters.
  • Mission Space - A creative and ambitious attraction.
  • Soarin' - An attraction with an intriguing ride system and concept that can be enjoyed by both young and old.
  • Toy Story Mania - Simply a lot of fun.
  • Crush 'N' Gusher - A great water coaster addition. I have to add that Typhoon Lagoon & Blizzard Beach are just as enjoyable today as I have always remembered them. They really are two of the best executed waterparks in the United States.
  • Magic Kingdom's Central Hub & Bus Stop Expansions - I like the idea that Disney recognized the Magic Kingdom has capacity problems and is taking steps to correct them. For a similar reason, I like the cloning of Dumbo in the New Fantasyland.
  • Disney Springs & New Parking Facility - Downtown Disney's Marketplace seems so crowded all the time now. People clearly want to shop when they visit WDW and Disney is responding to this demand.
  • Art of Animation - Nicely done. Disney took the lessons learned from the previous Value Resorts and applied them to AOA, making AOA WDW's best Value Resort.
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House & Kidani Village - Arguably WDW's best DVC resort. A beautiful facility in the best traditions of WDW hotels & resorts.
It's been an interesting exercise. You might want to try it too. :)

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You know what i actually like this idea. He has seen TWDC from the outside now. Has seen Universal from the inside. Intrigueing indeed. Sadly if I was a betting man, I would put my money on Staggs. Not that I personally like him. I just think this move is a primer. I am sure there are those that will disagree but it just think it makes to much sense. Hey, I hope I am totally wrong! For those who think its good for the parks i too will disagree. George K to head P&R? Nope....not buying that one. Poor Georgie's best days are behind him. WDW is the last stop on this gravy train.

Disclaimer: I am not an insider nor pretend to have any inside information. This information is nothing more then an opinion. This opinion should not be miscontrude as the official opinon of management or a certian spirit. Thank you
I agree. Unless something happens in the next 3 years to change things, it's Staggs job to lose. I don't know enough about other P&R execs to know if one of them could get a bump up to Stagg's old job.

I sorta disagree on Stagg's potential impact to the parks. Staggs was playing by Iger's rules for the most part. We really don't know all of his true feelings on things like MM+ or FLE or Avatar. Once he gets to call the shots he could change his tune. For example, FLE is not a popular project here primarily because it is targeted at a different demographic (families and children). For that demographic it was a pretty solid addition and a big success. It wasn't poor execution, but if you are an adult visiting without kids it was probably a flawed concept. Now if people want to knock Staggs for being a key part of the group of execs who decided to only target families and children I think that's a pretty fair argument. From a business standpoint the model appears to be at least a short term success as the numbers are looking solid (see @ParentsOf4 's graph). At least Staggs seems to have some passion for the parks. I see him as at worst neutral to possibly slightly positive compared to Iger who never gave a hoot about the theme park business. There are likely better external candidates, but that ship may have sailed.

One huge knock against the man for me is that Staggs has been over P&R during a period of maintenance decline at least at WDW. Forget about any additions or expansions, I'm just talking about taking care of what was already there. A strong leader with vision would not allow WDW to suffer the way it has over the last 10 years or so. It's gonna cost way more to fix things now then it would have cost to properly maintain things. However, DLR has had a pretty strong period over the same timeframe which I guess could go in his positive column.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm considering adding this quote to my signature. ;)

As I sat at home this quiet Saturday morning listening to my family stir, this quote had me thinking about positive events at WDW in recent years. It's tough to find them because for everything on the plus side, there's always a "however" attached to it.

I didn't feel that way decades ago. I didn't feel that way after Epcot or Disney-MGM Studios first opened, or all the years surrounding those momentous events. There were no "howevers". (I didn't make my first visit to Disney-MGM Studios until after Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular and Star Tours both opened, so I missed the early months when it seemed like everyone was complaining that Disney-MGM Studios felt like a rip-off.)

Today's Disney corporate leadership can and should do a better job but even the worst performer needs words of encouragement. Of course, those running Disney are not wallflowers. They are highly compensated power brokers playing in the Major League of the business world. Nothing but their best should be expected from them every day. They need to recognize that running a successful business is not only about stock price; it's also about keeping the customer happy. At Disney, it's more. It's about always striving to exceed customer expectations.

I guess part of my problem is that I remember a WDW that could do no wrong, at least it felt that way. I never went to WDW as a child. I was well into my teens before my first visit, paying my own way each time. It's not as if I'm looking at WDW through the romanticized eyes of a child. The WDW of the 1970s and 1980s really was an amazing place. In hindsight, we know that WDW began its slide in the 1990s with cost-cutting measures but I didn't notice them at the time, so even the WDW of the 1990s seemed amazing to me.

I still get a thrill each time I drive under the Western Way arch at the start of a WDW vacation. One of my top-10 moments each year still is pulling up to my hotel, shutting off the engine, walking around to my car's trunk, and handing over my luggage to a Cast Member, knowing the drive is behind me and the entire vacation lies before me.

With all these thoughts in my mind, it might be time to step back for just a moment (;)) and look at the pluses at WDW in recent years.

Below is my list of positive developments at WDW in the 21st Century, with all the "howevers" excluded:
  • The New Fantasyland - The expansion truly helps with one of WDW's target demographics; families with very young children. The area flows better than the days of Mickey's Toontown Fair, which I'll admit that I skipped the first few years after it opened because it seemed out of the way and not particularly interesting.
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - A nice first rollercoaster for youngsters that also can be enjoyed by all ages.
  • Expedition Everest - One of Disney's best, most detailed roller coasters.
  • Mission Space - A creative and ambitious attraction.
  • Soarin' - An attraction with an intriguing ride system and concept that can be enjoyed by both young and old.
  • Toy Story Mania - Simply a lot of fun.
  • Crush 'N' Gusher - A great water coaster addition. I have to add that Typhoon Lagoon & Blizzard Beach are as enjoyable as I always remember them. They really are two of the best executed waterparks in the United States.
  • Magic Kingdom's Central Hub & Bus Stop Expansions - I like the idea that Disney recognized the Magic Kingdom has capacity problems and is taking steps to correct them. For a similar reason, I like the cloning of Dumbo in the New Fantasyland.
  • Disney Springs & New Parking Facility - Downtown Disney's Marketplace seems so crowded all the time now. People clearly want to shop when they visit WDW and Disney is responding to this demand.
  • Art of Animation - Nicely done. Disney took the lessons learned from the previous Value Resorts and applied them to AOA, making AOA WDW's best Value Resort.
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House & Kidani Village - Arguably WDW's best DVC resort. A beautiful facility in the best traditions of WDW hotels & resorts.
It's been an interesting exercise. You might want to try it too. :)
You forgot the lumberjack show at EPCOT;)

I'm waiting for @ford91exploder to post his list. I bet it's a short post:)

71jason

Lou has been selling stuff right and left lately. I saw a few weeks back his own book on economical WDW travel up on eBay. Heard it paled in comparison to his trivia books of yesteryear. I'm surprised he just doesn't give the junk away to friends or his loyal Box people. Hear his sight has been down for days, so says twitterville anyhow. He seems to be moving away from WDW to his new found love, guest speaking about podcasts and launching your own businesses. He seems to have a very short attention span from business venture to business venture. Though for whatever reason he seems to make a go of them big time for the short term, until he Moves Forward. Has got to drive the Wifey nuts.

Hmm ... I hate to have to break out my tinfoil hat. But it's long been speculated Lou was directly or indirectly on the Disney payroll in some capacity. Odd he suddenly loses his love of Disney within a week or two of the head of Disney Social Media being wished well in his future endeavors.

Kind of like when that one Imagineer got reprimanded and suddenly Jimmy Thick quit posting here ...

- 71Jason (Bringing it back for the Thick One!)

NearTheEars

Hmm ... I hate to have to break out my tinfoil hat. But it's long been speculated Lou was directly or indirectly on the Disney payroll in some capacity. Odd he suddenly loses his love of Disney within a week or two of the head of Disney Social Media being wished well in his future endeavors.

Kind of like when that one Imagineer got reprimanded and suddenly Jimmy Thick quit posting here ...

- 71Jason (Bringing it back for the Thick One!)

I guess the only flaw I see in old Jimmy being with WDI was that long post trashing TDK (it was Tokyo right?).

I mean I guess imagineers work on differen projects and such, but would they do something like that?

Maybe, I guess.

ETA: Mr. Lou just started that upcharge club for his website, so I doubt he's out of the WDW business any time soon.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Another phrase that was never heard in the past and is now commonly attached to most new Disney events is the good old, "lets wait and see before we judge". This applies to more recent events such as FLE, DTD, Norway/Frozen. In the past it seemed as if it were more along the lines of "I cant wait to see". It really did feel like a "Disney that could do no wrong".

Sure, we live in an age of Twitter, IG, and FB where we can see the progress more easily, but I remember seeing attractions like Splash, ToT and Everest being built and it was inspiring and exciting and there was absolutely no doubt they would be amazing. I remember seeing 7DMT during construction and thinking "thats it"? Nothing against it, its a fun ride, but the hype Disney put behind it with those gut wrenching Imagineer chats and all the buzz words they spewed out didnt equate to what it actually is. And the rapping dwarf commercial should just never be aired again...ever.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You forgot the lumberjack show at EPCOT;)

I'm waiting for @ford91exploder to post his list. I bet it's a short post:)

Actually my list is @ParentsOf4's list with a couple of additions

Shark Reef
The re theme of PoTC to Cap'n Jack minor quibble I preferred the Pirates chasing the women
Bay Lake Tower they did a nice job in matching styles and creating a smooth transition between Contemporary and BLT
Festival of Fantasy parade - as a Scot how could I not like a parade with a bagpipe and a dragon

I don't know why people think I don't enjoy my visits to WDW I enjoy them very much but I've been going for a long time and I remember when the place was dripping with magical touches not so much today though

Last edited:

NearTheEars

Afraid to ask ... what does that entail?

As far as I know, if you "donate" a certain amount to his website, you are given access to exclusive content.

Sort of like premium members here, but for this it sounds like you are paying for more interaction with Lou.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom