A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

Well, the magic bands were introduced as a way for the show to interact with the guest. That's where the concept originated.

Somewhere along the line they decided to integrate KTTW, fastpass and dining ressies to it.

Further down the line, they realized they spent soooooooo much money trying to intigrate those things (and the back end analytics) that they decided to drop (or at best, "back burner") the interactive show elements. We got talking Mickey out of it and a few other things, but not much.

I blame the San Francisco consultants.
Which is stupid. Have you been to Uni's Diagon and Hogsmeade?
Uni is printing money with the wands.

Cesar R M

Whats the over - under on how long it will be before they just can the whole Magic Band program? Throwing good money after bad.....even that ship has sailed. I suspect it will be here until Iger is gone. Many people thought that the gathered data was the real prize from the program, if that was the case the program would have been implemented across all Disney properties. They just didn't get the desired results. Forget about the 1 Billion ( many will tell you it was much more) spent on the program. We will never realize the total cost to the company. Countless hours of CM's lost on implementing, educating, resolving issues. Yet no one will be accountable.
regardless of MyMagic or the MagicBand debacle.. most of the money went to upgrade and "join" the databases of the hotels, ressies, photo and ticketing systems... a needed upgrade.

Cesar R M

Terminal errors
Speaking of errors.
I was surprised that the MBs and MY Magic were working fine on the onslaught of New Years Eve and the next few days after.
No issues with FastPasses either.
Seems they finally beefed up their system.
I still remember the gigantic failure during President's day on Feb 2015, that even affected the Hotels readers and systems.

Bairstow

Anybody see this? http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/h...disney-oscars-mall-of-america/article/2580219
Texas Congressman Michael McCaul, the House of Representatives' Homeland Security Chair is publishing a book that details possible terrorist threats, and specifically contemplates a smallpox attack at the Magic Kingdom:

Fatimah emerged from the women's restroom next to the "City Hall" building in the Magic Kingdom's "Main Street, U.S.A." area at Disney World. She felt a bit better after having splashed some cold water on her face, but was still feeling faint. She fumbled in her purse and pulled out a handheld electric fan that sprayed water, which she used to spray the air all around her. Before she put it away, she made sure to turn around and spray the bathroom door handle.

Fatimah joined the throngs of people making their way down the "Main Street." She was not going anywhere in particular. Her job was simply to make a few ambling circuits of the park, maybe wait in some lines for a few minutes, visit the restroom, and generally spend time in areas where she found a high concentration of people. All she had to do was breathe, cough when she felt like it, and remember to use her spraying fan.

She sprayed wherever she could, making use of the multiple refill cartridges she kept in her purse. She innocuously sprayed wherever crowds were thickest, whenever she lingered at food carts, and whenever she went through a doorway. The spray was refreshing, but it wasn't just water. It was a solution made from the serum Dr. Aziz had supplied, and it carried a deadly strain of smallpox.

51GB9EDXD1L._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

fabdisbabe

Yeah, I know, the comment was kind of tongue in cheek. The issue isn't that people are getting free trips (tho that distinction is lost)... for some it's because
- they don't agree with who Disney is choosing to treat
- they don't agree that these people are worth being handled BETTER than traditional Press
- they don't agree with the new world thinking of schmoozing online personalities instead of traditional press

When you come from the traditional press world.. (yes, even the extravagant life of media reporting)... you see companies embracing these 'amateurs' as 3rd rate competition for your time with your buddies and in a way undermining the status quo.

Take all that in, and realize they may really hate the direction Disney has taken... so to show how BAD of a business choice that is.. they go to show just how bad of a choice this is..
- show how little reach these people have (awful mommy blogger examples)
- show how easily manipulated they are
- show how these are liabilities you really shouldn't be associating with
- show how the lifestyle and social circle of most of these people is extremely distorted compared to the average reader

At the end of the day.. this whole mission isn't about Disney comp'ing people and lathering them up... That's as old as time itself. It's not a mission to create fully independent, dedicated, objective reviewers. It's about a guy's disagreement with the idea of Social Media engagement in lieu of traditional press.

A disagreement that is more of a traditionalists view, that has not adapted properly to the new way people prefer to consume their news and content. There are changes that need to be made there, and frankly @WDW1974 has been slow to see the change there.

The struggle over objectivity without biting the hand that feeds you is not unique to Disney at all.. and is prevalent in most industries, be it travel, consumer goods, etc. The mantra of places like Consumer Reports is nice.. but it doesn't have to be the sole model. As long as people are TRUTHFUL.. that's more important than skew.

Right. When I was writing for Disney Magazine and Jim was writing for several different newspapers, we got the exact same treatment. It's the same information, it's just spread more efficiently. Change or die.

fabdisbabe

I hope in a future podcast you could do one about WDW's Spectromagic parade which ran from 1991 - 1998 and from 2001 - 2010. I would love to know the history and origin of the parade including some backstory to the Spectromen from the start of the parade and the animatronic Jiminy Cricket and Sebastian. But the Spectromen always felt mysterious to me. The Spectromen used to have robotlike voices in the early years of the parade until 1996 or 1997. I also had a hard time understanding what they were saying most of the time.
Jim, you had better have me on as a guest for that one!!!

fabdisbabe

Why is the distinction important?

The only thing I can think of, would be if you think that Disney somehow conspired with Jim that they would allow him back on property, and to "cover" the parks beat, but only if he was relentlessly positive. Is that it?

Otherwise, what is the relevant discussion you were looking to have?

I have only read a couple things from Jim, and quite frankly his posts here nearly equate to the total number of words I've read of his prior to this episode. And I have only ever had pleasant interactions with you here. So, If anything, I would be inclined to side with you. The way everything has gone down here though, I find myself siding with Jim and just wishing this whole embarrassing episode hadn't occurred at all. Or at the very least had been relegated to micechat or something.
I'm at MiceChat (Fab News) and I wouldn't touch it with a ten meter cattle prod, even if it wasn't Exxie.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Agree with this. Can you imagine if someone has a bluetooth reader nearby when your phone beams?
I hope they get the security high on that.

Hilton is in the process of rolling this type to tech to all their US full-service hotels (and some internationally). I believe they consulted with a security company about any potential risks.

So if WDW does this, it won't be anything new.

tirian

I'm at MiceChat (Fab News) and I wouldn't touch it with a ten meter cattle prod, even if it wasn't Exxie.
I have to admit, when I first saw the new column and its title, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it. No offense, but I'm a guy who has become cynical from years of working in media. Then I read one of your columns. And another. And now I look forward to them. :)

PhotoDave219

PhotoDave219

Hey @PhotoDave219 , what do CBS and Fox pay for conference rights and the Super Bowl rotation?

The Current NFL Contract (7 years, 2014-2021) breaks down like this:

• CBS - $1B for the AFC Package + $275M for airing NFL Network Games on Thursdays for weeks 2-8 (2014-15 only)
  • FOX - $1.1B for the NFC Package.
  • NBC - $950M for Sunday Night Football
  • ESPN - $1.9B for Monday Night Football. (The hell?! Holy Overpaid! - ed)
  • The NFL Network doesn't pay anything for Thursday Night Football.
CBS has the Super Bowl in 16, 19, 22.
FOX has the Super Bowl in 17, 20, 23.
NBC has the Super Bowl in 18, 21.

Did ESPN overpay for the rights? Dear lord it looks that way.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom