A Spirited Perfect Ten

John

Whats the over - under on how long it will be before they just can the whole Magic Band program? Throwing good money after bad.....even that ship has sailed. I suspect it will be here until Iger is gone. Many people thought that the gathered data was the real prize from the program, if that was the case the program would have been implemented across all Disney properties. They just didn't get the desired results. Forget about the 1 Billion ( many will tell you it was much more) spent on the program. We will never realize the total cost to the company. Countless hours of CM's lost on implementing, educating, resolving issues. Yet no one will be accountable.

PhotoDave219

Recalling that I commented on this earlier, it appears I'm not the only one who noticed what Iger said (and didn't say) about "magic bands technology" during his interview:

Why Disney Won't Be Taking Magic Wristbands to Its Chinese Park
Christopher Palmeri
January 10, 2016 — 5:00 PM EST Updated on January 10, 2016 — 9:26 PM EST

MagicBands, the colorful electronic bracelets used by millions of customers at Walt Disney Co. resorts in Orlando, Florida, won’t be making it to the company’s newest theme park in China.

Guests at the $5.5 billion Shanghai Disney Resort, scheduled to open this spring, will be able to use their mobile devices to enter the park, purchase merchandise and likely access rides and attractions. Visitors in Orlando already do those things with the wristbands, which rolled out in Florida with great fanfare in 2013.

Disney spent $1 billion and several years developing MagicBands and making other technology upgrades to its Orlando resorts. But technology moves fast. Today, Disney may be able to achieve more with guests just using their smartphone.

“When Disney was first making their investment in Orlando, the mobile revolution was still at a very early stage,” said Douglas Quinby, a vice president of research at the consulting firm Phocuswright in Atlanta. “Nobody knew how all these technologies were going to shake out.”

Phocuswright predicts that this year, China will become the first market where the majority of online travel purchases will be made on mobile devices. In Shanghai, Disney will use them to send direct alerts about park conditions and attractions.

‘More Advanced’

“What you’ll see in Shanghai is a park that from a technological perspective is more advanced than anything we’ve ever built,” Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger said in [a] Dec. 21 interview on Bloomberg TV. “The consumer will be able to buy their tickets, use their mobile devices in far more advanced, compelling ways than any other place from a theme park perspective than we are today.”

Disney, the world’s biggest theme-park operator, says the bands have been a big success -- not only because the company can funnel more people through its parks each day and sell more merchandise, but also because its guests really like them.

By leaving the bracelets in Florida, however, the company will save the cost of making the devices, which are mailed to season-pass buyers and guests at the company’s 18 Orlando hotels.

Disney’s MagicBand initiative was begun by the then head of its parks division, Jay Rasulo, around the time when the iPhone had just made its debut in 2007. It was championed by his successor, Thomas Staggs, who is now Disney’s chief operating officer.

The wristbands were unveiled in January 2013 as part of a technology upgrade of Disney’s Orlando properties, which include four theme parks and about 26,000 hotel rooms. More than 13 million guests have used them. Disney even sells decorative bands with “Star Wars” Stormtroopers and other characters on them for as much as $30.

The company has said the bands, which tie into an online system for making reservations for rides, meals and other activities, have increased attendance and scored highly in customer satisfaction surveys.

Profits at the parks division, its second-largest after television, rose 14 percent to $3 billion last year, due in part to greater visitation and guest spending at the domestic resorts. Revenue grew 7 percent to $16.2 billion. Disney said last year that the wristbands would not be coming to its two theme parks in California.

At a company event in October, Staggs said the bands were just one part of a broader program that gave the company more information about guests in Orlando, and gave customers more tools to enjoy the resorts.

“If they move this same type of application and do it on the customer’s devices, that would be a cheaper way to do it,” said Robin Diedrich, an analyst at Edward Jones & Co. in Des Peres, Missouri. “It would be more seamless and get into more people’s hands.”​

Well, they only get positive feedback because 1) there's no way to give a negative answer and 2) if you are anything but a first time guest, it seems they don't want your feedback. Pass holders and message board posters seem to disqualify people from surveys.

PhotoDave219

Whats the over - under on how long it will be before they just can the whole Magic Band program? Throwing good money after bad.....even that ship has sailed. I suspect it will be here until Iger is gone. Many people thought that the gathered data was the real prize from the program, if that was the case the program would have been implemented across all Disney properties. They just didn't get the desired results. Forget about the 1 Billion ( many will tell you it was much more) spent on the program. We will never realize the total cost to the company. Countless hours of CM's lost on implementing, educating, resolving issues. Yet no one will be accountable.

They won't because the darn thing finally works - doing the bare minimum, of course.

Disneyhead'71

hpyhnt 1000

Depends on how we want to define "can." Like it or not, there was a whole lot of money invested in resort wide infrastructure that isn't going to just be tossed into the dust bin (ex: all the door locks at the resorts, FP+ readers/entrance turnstiles, etc.) plus who knows what behind the scenes. They can't just CTRL+Z the resort back to the way it was in 2011.

The real question is how efficiently will Disney be able to repurpose what it has at WDW and integrate it with new mobile and wireless 3rd party systems. It's already tacitly acknowledged that the system as installed at WDW is "out of date" compared to current tech; now they need to figure out how to keep it from becoming a complete dinosaur. But I don't see a scenario where the project just gets canceled. No way Disney completely abandons a $1+ billion system after only 5 years.

Mike S

Forgot to tell you all this yesterday, but I had an absolutely TERRIBLE driver on Kilamanjaro Safari. He barely talked and when he did he droned. As a guest sitting behind me so eloquently put it, "he's too busy breathing into the mic to talk." He was a father with kids who had to take it upon himself to point out most of the animals because the driver couldn't be bothered to. What topped it off for me was when we were near the Elephants and the driver thought he would point out the Flamingos a little ahead instead :facepalm: He also seemed in a hurry to get rid of us because he was telling us to watch our step and giving the goodbye spiel way before we got to the unloading dock. Just shows how much one cast member can ruin the show. I applaud those who stick to what you're supposed to do even if you might not be having a great day which is my theory on what this guys problem was.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

I don't disagree, but with the rest of the parks going in a different direction how long will it be before it will just become necessary to move forward?

The current magic bands ticketing system? It's here for the for seeable future. Easily another 15 years.

doctornick

Why would they get rid of it? Even if you want to argue that it was a waste of money, it works for it's currently allotted functions. And, despite the griping on here, people generally like having the bands as an "all in one" tool. FP+ is a different issue in terms of reception, but switching back to paper FP would be just more wasted money.

As for the other functionality (interactive/personalization stuff), I would think that somewhere down the line they'll add it to some attractions when they have the budget to do so. I wouldn't be surprised to see stuff in Star Wars work with the magic bands, for example. It's a lot easier to add the functionality if the infrastructure is there.

rael ramone

Forgot to tell you all this yesterday, but I had an absolutely TERRIBLE driver on Kilamanjaro Safari. He barely talked and when he did he droned. As a guest sitting behind me so eloquently put it, "he's too busy breathing into the mic to talk." He was a father with kids who had to take it upon himself to point out most of the animals because the driver couldn't be bothered to. What topped it off for me was when we were near the Elephants and the driver thought he would point out the Flamingos a little ahead instead :facepalm: He also seemed in a hurry to get rid of us because he was telling us to watch our step and giving the goodbye spiel way before we got to the unloading dock. Just shows how much one cast member can ruin the show. I applaud those who stick to what you're supposed to do even if you might not be having a great day which is my theory on what this guys problem was.

My last trip I had my very best and very worst KS driver ever.

The good one - very informative, on top of everything, and spoke in a hushed yet perfectly audible tone that gave a huge dose of realism to the experience.

The bad one - asked the guests a question, and when it wasn't answered, seemed to take it personally. Small bursts of loud obnoxious commentary surrounded by huge gaps of silence.

Travel Junkie

The NFL owner meetings are this week and they are discussing the various proposals for bringing a team or teams to LA. The Chargers/Raiders Carson project presentation will be led by Bob Iger, who for those don't know, is the head of the Carson Stadium project. It is rumored that as part of the deal, Iger would gain an ownership stake in either the Chargers or Raiders if the plan succeeds.

What's the ESPN NFL contract worth again?

the.dreamfinder

The NFL owner meetings are this week and they are discussing the various proposals for bringing a team or teams to LA. The Chargers/Raiders Carson project presentation will be led by Bob Iger, who for those don't know, is the head of the Carson Stadium project. It is rumored that as part of the deal, Iger would gain an ownership stake in either the Chargers or Raiders if the plan succeeds.

What's the ESPN NFL contract worth again?
Hey @PhotoDave219 , what do CBS and Fox pay for conference rights and the Super Bowl rotation?

Prince-1

Speaking of MagicBands
Number of tries to use a MB to buy something at World of Disney last night: 4
Number of tries to use Apple Pay to buy Zebra cakes later that night at the Mara: 1

I had the same trouble when I was trying to buy a few Harry Potter shirts over at IoA. The cast member just looked at me like I was dumb.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom