A Spirited Perfect Ten

FigmentJedi

Dragon Challenge breaks the theme of Hogsmeade and The Lost Continent. The Hulk breaks the theme of Superhero Island which is admittedly a weak theme.

There are people that will argue that Islands of Adventure is the best "theme" park in the country which is a joke. There are so many spots in that park where you can see backstage areas, many of those are from The Hulk.

I hate the look of a static steel coaster in an area that otherwise has heavy theming. The Hulk isn't as much of an eyesore as Dragon Challenge, but they're both ugly.
Hulk and the rest of Marvel Island at least came up with a loose story conceit that this is a Marvel Universe where the super-science runs on amusement park ride logic. The Hulk Coaster's some new particle accelerator Banner created to try and cure himself of the Hulk that backfires, Doom's collecting people's fear through a Skyshot, somehow the Mad Tea Cups are employed to stop Magneto, and Jameson thinks that EMV vehicles are a good investment in reporting.

It's dumb, but still more effort put into thinking then Six Flags

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

ESPN is a complete anchor anymore, after the advertising debacle of the CFP games on NYE. ($20M in the hole!? How do you screw that one up!?)

The Chinese Economy is tumbling down like a house of cards. I wonder how many Chinese can afford to go to SDL?

Ten years of the rights to the College Football Playoff and SDL. Perhaps at the time, they seemed like wise investments. Now? Not so much.

Turbulant times ahead at the mouse house....
But @PhotoDave219, NEW STAR WARS!!!

PhotoDave219

But @PhotoDave219, NEW STAR WARS!!!

Yes, right now thats probably the only thing saving the stock. Plus attendance at WDW/DL. Attendance is up.... but nowhere near the drastic levels that wait times went up.

At least the company is diverse these days and TWDS and P&R can make up for the "lack of egregious profits" at ESPN.

Again.... here's a pro-tip in life, especially for the forecasting people & analysts: Things will not always stay this way. Its not great forever. Things do not continue a rapid, meteoric rise. They usually tail off and plateau and inevitably drop back down. Such is the nature of whats "Hot," there is always an over-saturation point. There is no divine right of Corporate Behemoths much as there is no divine right of kings.

At some point, it will be too busy or too expensive for guests to come to WDW. At that point, you have shunned those that kept you afloat in the bad times - locals and passholders. There are always unforseen events (Ask the people of Alderaan). WDW is putting all their eggs (so to speak) in one basket - the first time guest who's going to drop $7500-10k on their vacation. There's only so many of them.

People will always watch Sports but they will only pay so much for cable/dish TV. That saturation point was reached, thus the rise of the cord cutters.

Cesar R M

Dragon Challenge breaks the theme of Hogsmeade and The Lost Continent. The Hulk breaks the theme of Superhero Island which is admittedly a weak theme.

There are people that will argue that Islands of Adventure is the best "theme" park in the country which is a joke. There are so many spots in that park where you can see backstage areas, many of those are from The Hulk.

I hate the look of a static steel coaster in an area that otherwise has heavy theming. The Hulk isn't as much of an eyesore as Dragon Challenge, but they're both ugly.
You can see a few backstage parts when you get from Jurassic park areas into Hogsmeade (the back of the castle and some other stuff)

and yeah, I think the Dueling dragons deserved more details

PhotoDave219

I've gotta think the ESPN standalone streaming service is getting ever closer.

As pointed out by Tim Malcom of Deadspin this morning, ESPN is pushing people away from WatchESPN towards an App based streaming system for customer data/marketing/sales/demographic reasons.

WatchESPN works great, its just a matter of opening it up to the entire masses, as opposed to existing cable subscribers. (Yes, you pay for the same content twice)

Cesar R M

Hulk and the rest of Marvel Island at least came up with a loose story conceit that this is a Marvel Universe where the super-science runs on amusement park ride logic. The Hulk Coaster's some new particle accelerator Banner created to try and cure himself of the Hulk that backfires, Doom's collecting people's fear through a Skyshot, somehow the Mad Tea Cups are employed to stop Magneto, and Jameson thinks that EMV vehicles are a good investment in reporting.

It's dumb, but still more effort put into thinking then Six Flags
The last video where you are being loaded in to the EMV is hilarious.
Where they pretty much say you have no chance to survive.. but there are more rookies ready to take their places anytime. XD

rael ramone

ESPN is a complete anchor anymore, after the advertising debacle of the CFP games on NYE. ($20M in the hole!? How do you screw that one up!?)

The Chinese Economy is tumbling down like a house of cards. I wonder how many Chinese can afford to go to SDL?

Ten years of the rights to the College Football Playoff and SDL. Perhaps at the time, they seemed like wise investments. Now? Not so much.

Turbulant times ahead at the mouse house....

The big problem with CFP are the 'sacred cows' of the Rose Bowl and the Sugar Bowl - displacing the more meaningful playoff games to NYE - first one starting 4pm EDT on a WORKDAY...

PhotoDave219

The big problem with CFP are the 'sacred cows' of the Rose Bowl and the Sugar Bowl - displacing the more meaningful playoff games to NYE - first one starting 4pm EDT on a WORKDAY...

Yes, the College Football Playoff committee REFUSED to move the games to NYD as ESPN had asked, which makes more sense IMO.

Its either that or the Playoff games have to start earlier on NYE, a 1PM kick and a 430 kick. You're not going to pull College Football ratings on NYE in prime time because is New Years Ever fer crying out loud* (Original Hunter S. Thompson style rant removed - ed.) Your prime advertising demo (18-35 Males) is going to go out and celebrate NYE and party. They are not going to stay in and watch football unless its their team, and then only MAYBE. They are much more interested in their demo (18-35 Females) instead.

NearTheEars

I've gotta think the ESPN standalone streaming service is getting ever closer.

You can essentially get that with Sling TV. That's what I've had since August. ESPN, ESPN2 and several other cable channels (HGTV, TBS, TNT, AMC ... ) for $20. $5 more and you get several more from the ESPN family.

I'd have to imagine a future standalone ESPN offering would be at least $15, right?

Voxel

President of Progress City
As pointed out by Tim Malcom of Deadspin this morning, ESPN is pushing people away from WatchESPN towards an App based streaming system for customer data/marketing/sales/demographic reasons.

WatchESPN works great, its just a matter of opening it up to the entire masses, as opposed to existing cable subscribers. (Yes, you pay for the same content twice)
I would be happy paying $5-$10 dollars for ESPN, I already cut the cable and just use Sling (which still gives me ESPN) but the extra bit for even more coverage would be perfect.

Voxel

President of Progress City
You can essentially get that with Sling TV. That's what I've had since August. ESPN, ESPN2 and several other cable channels (HGTV, TBS, TNT, AMC ... ) for $20. $5 more and you get several more from the ESPN family.

I'd have to imagine a future standalone ESPN offering would be at least $15, right?
Sling does give you access to Watch ESPN also.

Disney Analyst

Star Wars: The Force Awakens continued its record-setting run this weekend to reach $1.733 billion globally to now stand as the #3 movie of all-time worldwide, passing Jurassic World‘s $1.669 billion. Domestically, it has also now become the first movie ever to cross $800 million, with an estimated $812 million to date.

This weekend, Star Wars: The Force Awakens added an estimated $145.9 million globally, including $41.6 million domestically in first place and $104.3 million internationally. China led the way as the final international market to open with an estimated two-day weekend total of $53 million, making it the highest Saturday/Sunday opening of all-time there as well as the biggest industry opening Saturday of all-time. Elsewhere, the film passed Skyfall in the UK to become the highest-grossing movie in industry history there and Star Wars: The Force Awakens is now the #3 highest-grossing movie of all-time within Europe. Star Wars: The Force Awakens is also now the highest-grossing Disney release of all-time in Russia, where it is also the #3 all-time highest grossing release in industry history. In Australia, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the #2 highest-grossing movie of all-time.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...w-the-3-movie-of-all-time#uIbRPJwpL5GSZBuG.99

doctornick

Yes, the College Football Playoff committee REFUSED to move the games to NYD as ESPN had asked, which makes more sense IMO.

Its either that or the Playoff games have to start earlier on NYE, a 1PM kick and a 430 kick. You're not going to pull College Football ratings on NYE in prime time because is New Years Ever fer crying out loud* (Original Hunter S. Thompson style rant removed - ed.) Your prime advertising demo (18-35 Males) is going to go out and celebrate NYE and party. They are not going to stay in and watch football unless its their team, and then only MAYBE. They are much more interested in their demo (18-35 Females) instead.

It was worse than that -- the playoff committee refused to move the games to Jan 2 (which was a Saturday this year) and would have made perfect sense. That would have left the Rose and Sugar on Jan 1 without an issue. But the playoff committee wanted the games on either NYE or NYD for the duration of the contract. Makes no sense to me.

There are still some years where it would be an issue because Jan 2 would not be a good option, but some of the silly NYE plans could have been solved.

That said, the primary problem is the Sugar. There's no reason for that game to have to be on NYD, especially when it has shifted a number of times before. Even if the Rose was always on NYD, no reason the other two playoff games couldn't have always been on NYD as well.

NearTheEars

Sling does give you access to Watch ESPN also.
Yep that's correct. The only catch is you can only be watching an ESPN service on Sling, or on Watch ESPN. They limit you to one screen at a time.

ETA: I see further down you said you use sling, so you would already know the above.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom